OH - Annabelle Richardson, newborn, found in shallow grave, Carlisle, 7 May 2017 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know Court TV is running behind because of all of their breaks.

I don't like the Defense attorney Rittgers watching him is like watching paint dry. Also watching him trying to impeach Dr Brady probably is boring the jury. jmo moo

I was hoping that Defense attorney Rittgers Sr family emergency yesterday would require his attention and keep him away from the court for at least a week!

I really doubt he comes off as very likable to the jurors, and believe BSR better served with the Junior attorney that gave the opening statement for the defense.

MOO.

Wow. Super interesting article. Thanks for that. I immediately noted:

"Problems, however, can arise when we, as a society, are so disturbed by the nature of the crime that we revert to a type of collective denial, or even collective blame, and automatically reduce the accountability of young mothers committing this horrific crime. Society must be challenged to collectively deal with the problem of neonaticide now to end this horror for both the child victim and the child mother."

I agree, I was surprised to find such a wonderfully germane article upon first search... also to find the mention of this young woman whose attitude seems similar to Skylar's:

Casey Brakefield, a 20-year-old "straight-A student who attended church" and never gave her parents trouble ... delivered a baby girl at home in the bathroom, then hid it in a motel room for three days before finally taking the infant to her older sister's home. Casey and her child, Ashlie, now live with her mother, but Casey's second child was not as fortunate. Two years later Casey again got pregnant, and again denied it when confronted by her parents. In January 1998, Casey told her mother she was going to work, then headed to a motel where she delivered a baby boy .... Casey put the baby on the floor of her car, where she kept him for two days while she went to work, had dinner with a friend and went shopping at the mall .... [Casey] came home on the third day, bragging to her mother about being able to get into a smaller size of jeans.

(Regrettably, the baby died as a result of this treatment.)

Also, I found a reference to the CA bodies-of-water article in Slate:

When parents kill.

Perhaps more revealing than the differences in why they kill their offspring are the differences between how fathers and mothers do so. For one thing, parental murderers tend to be highly physical. According to a 1988 survey done by the U.S. Justice Department, while 61 percent of all murder defendants used a gun in 1988, only 20 percent of the parents who killed their children used one. Children were drowned and shaken, beaten, poisoned, stabbed, and suffocated. These methods betray a certain “craziness” in both genders—they betray an intense passion and a lack of planning. But a study by the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children shows that fathers are far more violent. And mothers frequently dispose of the corpses in what researchers call a “womblike” fashion. Bodies are swaddled, submerged in water, or wrapped in plastic. Moreover, the NCMEC study showed that while the victims of maternal killings are almost always found either in or close to the home, fathers will, on average, dispose of the bodies hundreds of miles away. All these behaviors suggest that women associate these murders with themselves, their homes, and their bodies.

Whatever punishment BSR receives (and I think she will be found guilty of at least one of the charges against her), I wish her mother could be sentenced to something similar. JMO (worth little in this case)

Whatever punishment BSR receives (and I think she will be found guilty of at least one of the charges against her), I wish her mother could be sentenced to something similar. JMO (worth little in this case)

My like button is not working....I agree with you. BSR knows what she did and there are consequences. The parents especially the mom knew too and should get time.

Now will BSR get time as adult or juvenile?

She did throw away the bloody towel in the trash to hide it. I'm just asking why she didn't leave the baby in the towel.... Discard/hide both in trash.

Finding bloody towels in a dumpster would never garner the attention of a deceased baby found in the trash. Do you believe she would want the baby in the trash traced back to her? Never.

Ohio is not any different than most states where throwing a baby corpse in the trash (or a naked infant in a backyard hole for that matter) outrages reasonable sensibilities, and there are laws against this:

(A) No person, except as authorized by law, shall treat a human corpse in a way that the person knows would outrage reasonable family sensibilities. ... (C) Whoever violates division (A) of this section is guilty of abuse of a corpse, a misdemeanor of the second degree.

2927.01 Abuse of a corpse. - Ohio Revised Code

codes.ohio.gov › orc

There was a similar case in Riverside Ohio in February of last year. It was in local news for 2 days, then nothing since then.
‘Remorse and grief:’ Riverside parents bury stillborn in yard, police say
No decision is made yet on whether the parents will be criminally charged, Colon said. Even if the child was stillborn, he said, “burying a corpse and a baby in the backyard” could be “a crime in itself.”

The case is classified by Riverside police as an “abuse of corpse” investigation, the severity of which ranges from misdemeanor to felony. Abuse of corpse is defined in the Ohio criminal code as treating “a human corpse in a way that would outrage reasonable community sensibilities.”

this is to rebut the defense attorney:

Bulimia might make missed periods, bulimia might cause of weight gain and loss because of swelling from fluids... But one thing bulimia does not do is remove your ability to do math. If Taylor blocked Trey on social media after they had sex, she can still do the math herself and know how long it takes for a baby to be born.

As Vinnie politan just pointed out, someone on his page asked what it meant when the father indicated the daughter had lied about this type of thing before. Vinny, looking for an explanation with his panel, defended it hypothetically, saying maybe the father just meant that mothers have lied about being pregnant before but it seems like the father was contradicting the daughter saying she would never kill a baby. I'm sure that if in fact Skylar had an abortion in the past, or managed to kill a fetus on her own in the past, there's no way we could find out about it legally. But maybe her friends would talk.

Cathy Russon@cathyrusson
#SkylarRichardson - The trial will resume Monday morning. Here's a list of the charges and possible punishments Richardson faces if convicted.

I'm late to this thread and not keeping up and always behind, so thank you very much for this. I hope this is not a Casey Anthony/ Caylee Anthony case.

With the Caylee Anthony case, the information as to what was said about not taking care of/endangering (I cannot remember specifics, I just remember that the jury gave her a pass because they did not know how she died) Caylee was released after the case was over.

Which was one of the charges that they did not even agree on.

She did throw the towel in the trash (IIRC or heard convo between her and parents correctly) she put the trash bag in the trash elsewhere not in their own household trash). I feel as if we often hear of babies disposed in trash more often than burying them in their backyards.

I'm not picking sides here... I just find it curious that IF she harmed her living child she treated it worse than trash AND it's much easier (especially after enduring birth alone) to dispose of the body and the towel together. Rather than walking to the garage, getting a small spade and burying the body she just harmed/killed. Maybe my question is perceived as ridiculous but... I ask anyway!

I have this feeling that she put articles under her bed, and that was what was found. Was it the baby afterwards, was it just towels. It wasn't clear through her interview when she did such was it?. I so much wish that I was there to ask the questions because I'm still not clear on when and what.

Interesting! See, I was thinking that maybe you'd do something like massage the infant heart gently with an open palm... maybe chafe some pulse points (I might have gotten the latter idea from adults in Jane Austen and Gone with the Wind, lol, both of which I had read before I was 14 but I'm willing to grant that it's highly likely SR did not, etc.). And I also tend to internalize everything I see, with the result that I will, for example, never, ever remove a puncturing object from any person's body no matter where it is until they can get medical assistance; because I once saw part of a "Rescue 911" where some poor toddler running with his toothbrush, fell and shoved it right through the back of his trachea; simply because you don't know what that puncturing object might be holding in.

I think I found that stat from the Center for Missing and Exploited Children, or similarly named entity. Will have to go back and see if I can find it... not sure you ran across this study in the course of your research, but I thought it might interest some...

https://scholarship.law.wm.edu/cgi/...com/&httpsredir=1&article=1181&context=wmjowl

"Prom Mom Killers: The Impact of Blame Shift and Distorted Statistics on Punishment for Neonaticide"

The paragraph on Kristin Sundberg already has a typo, which does not fill me with peer-reviewed confidence; but I suppose William & Mary turns out acceptable enough scholars to trust it.

Bolding mine. Ha! I'm very similar to you and sometimes have a hard time remembering that not everyone is like us.

Yes, she could have done those things. If she wanted the baby to live, but ultimately, that baby would've needed to be checked out by a healthcare provider via ambulance. Sadly, I think the intended outcome happened.

It's not a ridiculous question. I don't know the answers. I've found a few things when it comes to disposal (lots of trash dumping for sure but also freezers and other methods) and also some data that informs my opinion she will not be sentenced to much:

Becky Sue Marrow concealed her pregnancy for 9 months then
dismembered and burned her newborn son. According to her
lawyers, she was in a ‘‘dissociated’’ mental state at the time
of the crime. However, as Marrow had tried to hide a preg-
nancy in the past, had attempted to divert witnesses from the
fire pit where she burned the infant’s corpse, and did not suffer
from any symptoms of amnesia, it is likely that the psychiatrist
was correct when he told the court, ‘‘She had clear insight. She
knew exactly what she was doing’’ (The Canadian Press, 2008).
However, she was only found guilty of ‘‘offering an indignity
to a dead human body and disposing of the dead body of a child
with the intent to conceal its birth’’ and sentenced to 2 months
house arrest

Resnick (1970) and several other studies have confirmed
that the majority of neonaticidal women are not mentally ill
at the time of the murder
and maternal suicide after neonaticide
is rare. Hatters-Friedman, Heneghan, and Rosenthal (2007), in
their review of 81 women who either denied or concealed their
pregnancies, found that none had psychotic denial and a psy-
chiatry consult was only requested on four of the women. In
2001, Meyer and Oberman reviewed 37 cases of neonaticide
and found that most of the perpetrators did not have a major
mental illness. In D’Orban’s British study, she found that the
majority of the neonaticidal women were not suffering from
psychosis or depression. Haapasalo and Peta¨ja¨ (1999), in their
Finnish study of 15 neonaticides, proposed that mental illness
was not a relevant variable, with less than 30%of the women
claiming any psychological issues. Similarly, the Finnish sam-
ple of Putkonen, Collander, Weizmann-Henelius, and Eronen
(2007) of 14 psychiatrically evaluated cases found only four
cases with psychotic symptoms.
The majority of infants killed in the 1st day are born out of a
hospital, usually at the woman’s home (Paulozzi & Sells, 2002),
although there are recorded cases of neonaticides in birthing
units (Mendlowicz, da Silva, Gekker, de Moreas, Rapaport, &
Jean-Louis, 2000, cited in Hatters-Friedman & Resnick,
2009). Newborns who are the second child of a woman under
age 19 are at an increased risk of homicide (Overpeck cited in
Spinelli, 2003). The hallmark example of neonaticide is that the
newborn is unwanted and so the woman, after concealing
the pregnancy for 9 months, gives birth alone, and then kills
the newborn via non-weapon methods such as suffocation,
strangulation, or drowning
(Meyer & Oberman, 2001).
Women who murder infants who are older than 1 day are
significantly different to women who murder newborns. They
tend to be older than 25, use weapon as well as non-weapon
methods of murder, are often married, and well educated
(Resnick, 1970; see Table 3).
These women tend to premeditate their murders (Logan,
1995, in Dalley, 1997) and may murder the infant as retaliation
against another person, during an episode of abuse, or to
remove an unwanted child (D’Orban, 1979).

Due to their small size and inability to defend themselves, the
murder of an infant does not require either strength or skill.
Therefore, smothering, strangling, suffocating, and drowning
are all common methods of infanticide, although many other
means are used including starving burning, stabbing or cutting
shooting, exposure, gross assault, gassing, scalding, poisoning,
and defenestration (see Table 4). Finkelhor and Ormrod (2001)
suggest that women are more likely to use their hands as a
weapon and less likely to use firearms, compared to men, but...
up to 25%of women who murdered their
children use weapons.

Denial/Concealment
‘‘Infant’s body discovered in trash’’ (LA times, February 9,
1996).
‘‘Infant’s body discovered near the 2-9 Dumpsters’’ (Daily
Trojan, 10/11/05).
‘‘The case of the frozen babies’’ (Schpoliansky & Childs,
2009).
‘‘Three babies found in deep freeze in Germany’s infanti-
cide epidemic’’ (Boyes, 2008). ‘‘Infant’s body discovered at
plant’’ (NY Times, May 4, 2006).
‘‘Infant’s body found inside plastic bag’’ (CBC News, April
2, 2009).
‘‘Infant’s body found in Onslow County garbage truck’’
(Capitol Broadcasting Company, October 27, 2008).
‘‘Infant’s body found in Erfurt freezer’’ (The Local, May 27,
2009).
‘‘Dead newborn found at abandoned apartment in northern
Japan’’ (Bay Ledger News, May 31, 2007).
As these news headlines show, the discovery of a newborn’s
corpse is an unfortunately frequent occurrence. In a study of
neonaticides published in 1990, 64%of the newborn’s corpses
were discovered by accident in garbage cans or other refuse
sites. None of the newborns could be matched to a missing per-
son report, which indicated that the woman had intentionally
concealed her pregnancy and abandoned the infant upon birth
(Crittenden & Craig, 1990)

One of the hallmark factors in neonaticide compared to
infanticide is the secrecy of the pregnancy and subsequent
birth. As noted above, women who commit neonaticide are
markedly different from women who commit infanticide. Neo-
naticidal women tend to be younger, emotionally immature,
and do not desire to become a parent at the time of the homi-
cide. Many of these women manage to conceal their pregnancies from their parents and others for the entire 9
months, although, according to Beyer et al. (2008), at least one
other person was aware of the pregnancy in 83%of the cases.

Beyer et al. (2008) further notes that in the majority of cases
the women went through labor and then murdered the infant
within close proximity to others, without disturbing anyone, let
alone calling for help. This behavior suggests intentional con-
cealment
. If a woman found herself experiencing labor and giv-
ing birth, somehow without ever having known she was
pregnant, an expected reaction would be to call for help. Even
if she mistakenly believed the baby was stillborn, calling for
help would still be the expected behavior, not placing the infant
in the trash as is done in these cases.

...Even when women were incarcerated, their sentence
lengths averaged less than half the sentence lengths of men
convicted of similar offenses. She cites similar results in Aus-
tralia, Canada, American, Denmark, and Sweden.
This aversion to holding women accountable for their
actions, often termed chivalric justice, has significant negative
implications for society
. It suggests that our society values the
lives of children far less than we value the lives of adults. In
addition, it reinforces the stereotype that women are irrational
beings under the control of their biology, unlike men.

https://www.researchgate.net/public...f_Research_Literature_on_Incidence_and_Causes

Attached is a screen shot of a page from another study which shows that a prominent motive in several neonaticides studied was the inability of the pregnant teen to reveal the pregnancy to her mother for fear of shame or punishment and rejection. So they actively killed the baby instead and concealed the body in cupboards, dustbins or rubbish dumps, etc. .

Neonaticides following "secret" pregnancies: seven case reports.

Mothers who kill their infant on the day of its birth (neonaticide) do not generally show signs of psychopathology. Mothers who commit neonaticide tend to be young, single, and immature, and kill to eliminate an unwanted child. Mothers who kill their older children (filicide) are frequently older, married, psychotic, depressed, or suicidal. Filicides tend to kill as a result of their psychosis, for altruistic reasons (to relieve child of suffering), accidentally (as in battered child syndrome), or to seek revenge on a spouse. Resnick notes that mothers who commit neonaticide are more likely to be incarcerated, whereas mothers who commit filicide are more likely to be hospitalized.
Infanticide - burial, body, funeral, life, history, beliefs, cause, rate, time

In contrast to filicide, neonaticide is committed almost exclusively by women. Neonaticidal mothers are younger, more often unmarried, and less likely to have psychiatric illnesses compared with women who kill their older children. While older children are often killed for altruistic motives (to relieve real or imagined suffering) or as a result of the perpetrators’ loss of temper,9 the newborns are killed simply because they are unwanted. The most common reason for neonaticide is extramarital paternity or impregnation that is considered unacceptable ethically or culturally, such as those exemplified in this series of reports. Women who commit neonaticide often conceal or deny the pregnancy prior to the birth of the child, with or without intermittent acknowledgement.2,4,10 The denial of pregnancy is most commonly observed in young, unmarried, and primiparous women, and may be affective or pervasive in nature.
Methods of neonaticide include suffocation, strangulation, head trauma, drowning, exposure, stabbing, burning, throwing to pigs, and burying alive.4 Unusual means such as inserting needles inside the cranium have also been reported.14 The delivery occurs almost exclusively outside a hospital setting, and most infants die from suffocation or drowning.2,4 Disposal of the infant, whether dead or alive, seems to be the most ‘fashionable’ means of getting rid of the babies. Newborns may be discarded into trash bins or dumpsters. Disposal into the sea also accounts for a substantial number of cases in Hong Kong (personal communication). Even if the baby is alive when being disposed of, they may die quickly either as a result of suffocation by being wrapped in a plastic bag or drowning, or because of severe hypothermia.
https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/9e89/715bd45bb0b65cf2f528f6ab0c35ca4d963b.pdf

The more I listen to this trial, the more I change my mind.

I think as in most trials that I follow that are homicides of close family members or spouse or significant other, the entire case in chief is entirely about mitigation phase and preparing for that.

I think that is what they are doing. She is going to be found guilty of lesser charges perhaps, and they are just wanting to do mitigation.

Moo

Yes. My prediction is based on how women in her demographic are typically perceived when they kill their kids and how they are typically sentenced.

People are largely unwilling to find young women culpable for neonatocide for a variety of cultural and psychological reasons. She fits precisely the neonaticide profile. Exactly.

Young. Unmarried. Scared of mommy. Unwanted pregnancy. Secrecy. Concealed the pregnancy. Concealed the birth and was totally quiet during it. Didn't ask for help for a supposed stillborn. Concealed the body.

But it's hard for many to not feel empathetic or to accept that she could have knowingly killed her child. And even if they find she knowingly killed her infant people are unwilling to sentence these young women harshly.

Yes.. so well stated thank you.

Hopefully, we will not have a Casey Anthony type of verdict.

I don't care if she was not trained to deliver them.

She works with young infants yet in her first police interview she said she has yet to take her CPR class.

She might not have gotten her training for she might actually be caring for infants. I went to babysitting child safety class when I was like 12 or 13. They certify you in CPR and train you to deal with emergencies involving kids of all ages. Babies and infants require different methods to save them from choking, or performing CPR than older kids or adults. Even if she was trained there is a big difference between being prepared for an emergency where you probably have other staff around and doing life saving techniques alone to someone you just gave birth to.

The chronology of events in that linked article is very confused/unclear. What's written makes it sound like Skylar told her father she' d tried to "cremate" the baby right after her FIRST police interview, and before police ever made that suggestion/accusation.

That's not my understanding from what her defense attorney told the judge. Her DT wanted to put their objections on the record to some specific portions of the interrogation being excluded from testimony, and he itemized/detailed those exclusions, one by one.

It sounded to me that the suggestion of burning was first made by LE, and during the second interrogation.

The suggestion Skylar said it first doesn't even make sense, especially in the context of what else she DID say about burying her baby, and in the context of the experts' testimony about upsetting the apple cart by not finding evidence of burned bones, etc.

In her first interview burning isn't mentioned. The bones were wet or discolored and one of the anthropologists mentioned burning. It sounded like the prosecution ran with that. Under further investigation the forensic anthropologists or the one clearly dismissed burning as the cause of discoloration.

In her first interview burning isn't mentioned. The bones were wet or discolored and one of the anthropologists mentioned burning. It sounded like the prosecution ran with that. Under further investigation the forensic anthropologists or the one clearly dismissed burning as the cause of discoloration.

From fox19.com and screenshot

DO NOT CLICK ON IF AVOIDING GRAPHIC

When the pathologist first saw them, they had been in dirt and were brown and black and she had no experience. She didn't even have a scope that did 20 times. She just saw the darkness that perhaps was due to dirt?

Many times during a case I discount the defense saying the prosecution should have done something and they didn't and therefore they have an out, but this one, they should have investigated more and proven if they wanted to say it was burned versus it was just blackish due to being buried. M o o.

Again, this is a mainstream media which I have referenced, but do not look at this as it is graphic is to the bones

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190904-141059_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20190904-141059_Facebook.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 60
Her whole defense is that her baby is dead.
She is on tape admitting that she killed baby.
" I Did not mean to kill her", " I did not mean to hurt her".

LE is not even accusing her of anything.
I think if the prosecution has more evidence than I think the jury could find her guilty on all charges.

JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member