OH - Annabelle Richardson, newborn, found in shallow grave, Carlisle, 7 May 2017 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is what I don't get: Why would you ask the police if you are going to go to prison for murder if you claim that you gave birth to a stillborn infant?

They were not even accusing her of anything.

I’ve been following this thread since the trial started, and have seen the bolded part stated a couple of times, but did not hear that in the video of the interview. Can you point me to where BSR asked about going to jail for murder (as opposed to just asking if she was going to jail)? Thank you!

I’ve been following this thread since the trial started, and have seen the bolded part stated a couple of times, but did not hear that in the video of the interview. Can you point me to where BSR asked about going to jail for murder (as opposed to just asking if she was going to jail)? Thank you!

It is during the 1st interview with police.

There are a few videos on Youtube

Scales of Justice has the complete interview

Go to Youtube, the interview is under Skylar Richardson trial part 2 day 2

Last edited:
Okay, after mulling over the evidence presented during the first trial week, here are my thoughts for now. Warning, long (and slightly rambling) post incoming!

First, as someone who has handled a lot criminal cases, I would advice people to be careful about making negative inferences based on ambiguous evidence or statements, like her dad saying “It's happened before” or BSR's text messages. Once you start going down that road, it's easy to get tunnel vision and interpret even innocuous things as evidence against the defendant.

To illustrate I'll point out an infamous case in the Netherlands, in which a nurse was accused and convicted of murdering several people in a hospital. The court used some ambiguous entries in the defendants' diary to support her conviction. On the day of death of one of her patients she wrote that she had 'given in to her compulsion'. She wrote on other occasions that she had a 'very great secret' and that she was concerned about 'her tendency to give in to her compulsion'. The nurse told the court that these were references to her passion for reading tarot cards, which she explains she did secretly because she did not believe it appropriate to the clinical setting of a hospital. However, the court decided they were evidence that she had murdered the patients. A few years later it turned out she was completely innocent and she was released from prison.

Murder or stillbirth?

First of all I have to point out that the original scenario presented by the prosecution seems to have been completely disproved. The scenario was that BSR smashed her baby's skull, burned the body and then buried the remains. The forensics clearly do not support this. The pathologist (whose statement was a complete and utter train wreck from a prosecution PoV IMHO) was outright forced to admit there was no sign of trauma on the remains and she couldn't rule out a stillbirth either. The forensic anthropologist stated there was no sign of burning and any fractures, punctures, abrasions that were noted on the remains happened after the death of the individual. That's a pretty strong declarative statement.

I think the defense on the other hand has done a good job pointing out several risk factors that could've led to a stillbirth. We have young woman who has never given birth before (risk factor) with a severe eating disorder (risk factor) who had had no prenatal care (risk factor), with indications that the fetus was small (risk factor) and finally delivered the baby alone without any medical assistance (risk factor). Any prenatal issue could've also been compounded by the fact that her labor seems to have been on the long side, since she apparently started showing signs of labor during her prom and delivered the baby roughly two days later.

Based on the above I simply definitely can not rule out the possibility of a stillbirth, regardless of BSR's intentions.

With regards to the text messages (at least the ones that we've seen during the prosecutions opening statement): they look bad, but are not in itself evidence for proving murderous intent. Though her flippant attitude might be considered offensive, at worst it shows BSR was happy about the fact she wasn't pregnant anymore and that no one (especially mom) had to find out about her pregnancy and she could go on with her life. Considering the fact the pregnancy was unwanted, there was no time for parental bonding, and the strong indications that there were unhealthy family dynamics at play, BSR's texts can fit both a murder or a stillbirth scenario, and are thus not of much probative value.

Burning the baby?

I'm fully convinced the baby wasn't burned. There is no forensic evidence and BSR's description of how she burned the baby's foot and then the flames rapidly reached the baby's chest sounded downright nonsensical to me. Burning the body also doesn't make sense if we assume she wanted to hide the body as soon possible and she didn't want to draw any attention. So why does the prosecution cling to this detail? The answer is simple: the second interrogation. If the prosecution concedes that the whole burning thing is a canard, you can basically throw away the entire second interview and the prosecution's case is sunk. Simply put, this is a hill they have to fight (and die) on! I think it's going to be a losing battle though.

Evidence from the electronic devices

So next week we'll hear the evidence collected from her electronic devices (and her mother will be heard as a witness). We will probably get a lot more information about BSR's online search history, her text messages, and her relationship with her mother. I suspect the evidence will show more proof of the fact that the pregancy was unwanted and BSR was pleased she wasn't pregnant anymore and that she could carry on with her life as if nothing had happened after burying the baby. I also suspect we'll get a lot more insight into her relationship with her mother.

What we won't be seeing, I suspect, are any bombshells that can outright prove either murderous intent or proof of murder. If there were messages like that, it's extremely likely we would've seen them presented during the prosecution's opening statement. We also wouldn't see the prosecution clinging so stubbornly to the burning scenario, which to me is a very strong indicator they desperately need that second interrogation in order to score a conviction.

The second interrogation

The main event next week will be the second interrogation which has already been frequently referred to by both the prosecution and the defense. Based on the snippets I've seen and read from the second interrogation video, some of the methods used are text book Reid technique and at points the interrogators appear to feed the language of the confession to BSR, which, to me, is a major red flag. I'll need to see more of the interview before drawing a full conclusion though.

Okay, rambling post over! English is not my first language, so I hope I wasn't too incoherent in getting my points across! :)

The prosecution never said that BSR bashed her baby's skull in.

She said she needed the doctor to give her a prescription for birth control because she was not ready to tell her parents she was pregnant and had to fool her mom who was in the waiting room. The doctor reluctantly agreed.

This is another thing I keep seeing in this thread, but am not sure where it is coming from. I believe the doctor testified that he canceled the prescription. I know BSR said in the interrogation that she still for the birth control pills, but where is the evidence coming from that the doctor gave them to her despite the pregnancy so she could avoid telling her parents about the pregnancy?

It is during the 1st interview with police.

There are a few videos on Youtube

I’ve watched the first interview with police, but didn’t see the “for murder” part. That’s what I was asking for - where in the video was that? I guess I need to watch it again.

The father of the child was only her boyfriend for one month then she dropped him. Too short a time for Mom to think she needed contraceptives. But when a longer relationship developed, she did take her daughter to the family doctor for a prescription. She didn’t judge. She protected her. or so she thought.

Do we know that BSR was never taken to a Dr for her eating disorders? I don’t think we do.

From observing family members in my husbands family, let me point out one conundrum. Families are told that the disorder is the patients attempt to control their own life. Yet this manner of control is ruining their health. So attempts can be made in good faith to try to ameliorate the feeling of the controlling parent...BUT...how to you NOT try to monitor when they are subsisting on a starvation diet and you are watching in horror? You cannot say...you are dangerous thin. You DO take solace in anything that looks like weight gain.

I watched as good parents walked this tightrope. And they were not image obsessed social climbers. It’s a hellish existence that often has no easy answers...but is destructive to every member of the family.

Its easy to judge this family in order to make this young woman a victim, but we really don’t know. Eating disorders seem to have a confluence of possible “causes.” I’m betting Mom will go on the stand like Cindy Anthony and protect her at all costs.

How do we know she didn't judge her daughter for needing birth control? Sounds to me like she was judged for eating popcorn, frankly.

Those parents were downright disturbing in their response to her. I don't think normal parents would react with anything other than horror and grief and a desire to protect at such a moment.

Did you hear the mother? It was ALL about her. "I thought my life was perfect!" "What will [people] think." "The neighbor's know."

Regardless of how much a kid may have put her parents through up to that point, at a moment like that it's a desperate crisis and should be a sign that everything has failed and your kid is totally sick and/or has gone through a horrific event.

They were cold and judgmental. They seemed unconcerned with her feelings or even health.

And others said her mom was controlling.

A previous post about BSR being on her parents health insurance made me wonder... would the internal ultrasound be shown on the statement and or EOB? Mom didn't notice?

I know medical codes are used for billing purposes, but there is also an explanation (often abbreviated but usually readable) for procedures.

Maybe neither of the parents saw the statement or if they did they thought an internal ultrasound was a "standard" test and never questioned it?

Okay, after mulling over the evidence presented during the first trial week, here are my thoughts for now. Warning, long (and slightly rambling) post incoming!

First, as someone who has handled a lot criminal cases, I would advice people to be careful about making negative inferences based on ambiguous evidence or statements, like her dad saying “It's happened before” or BSR's text messages. Once you start going down that road, it's easy to get tunnel vision and interpret even innocuous things as evidence against the defendant.

To illustrate I'll point out an infamous case in the Netherlands, in which a nurse was accused and convicted of murdering several people in a hospital. The court used some ambiguous entries in the defendants' diary to support her conviction. On the day of death of one of her patients she wrote that she had 'given in to her compulsion'. She wrote on other occasions that she had a 'very great secret' and that she was concerned about 'her tendency to give in to her compulsion'. The nurse told the court that these were references to her passion for reading tarot cards, which she explains she did secretly because she did not believe it appropriate to the clinical setting of a hospital. However, the court decided they were evidence that she had murdered the patients. A few years later it turned out she was completely innocent and she was released from prison.

Murder or stillbirth?

First of all I have to point out that the original scenario presented by the prosecution seems to have been completely disproved. The scenario was that BSR smashed her baby's skull, burned the body and then buried the remains. The forensics clearly do not support this. The pathologist (whose statement was a complete and utter train wreck from a prosecution PoV IMHO) was outright forced to admit there was no sign of trauma on the remains and she couldn't rule out a stillbirth either. The forensic anthropologist stated there was no sign of burning and any fractures, punctures, abrasions that were noted on the remains happened after the death of the individual. That's a pretty strong declarative statement.

I think the defense on the other hand has done a good job pointing out several risk factors that could've led to a stillbirth. We have young woman who has never given birth before (risk factor) with a severe eating disorder (risk factor) who had had no prenatal care (risk factor), with indications that the fetus was small (risk factor) and finally delivered the baby alone without any medical assistance (risk factor). Any prenatal issue could've also been compounded by the fact that her labor seems to have been on the long side, since she apparently started showing signs of labor during her prom and delivered the baby roughly two days later.

Based on the above I simply definitely can not rule out the possibility of a stillbirth, regardless of BSR's intentions.

With regards to the text messages (at least the ones that we've seen during the prosecutions opening statement): they look bad, but are not in itself evidence for proving murderous intent. Though her flippant attitude might be considered offensive, at worst it shows BSR was happy about the fact she wasn't pregnant anymore and that no one (especially mom) had to find out about her pregnancy and she could go on with her life. Considering the fact the pregnancy was unwanted, there was no time for parental bonding, and the strong indications that there were unhealthy family dynamics at play, BSR's texts can fit both a murder or a stillbirth scenario, and are thus not of much probative value.

Burning the baby?

I'm fully convinced the baby wasn't burned. There is no forensic evidence and BSR's description of how she burned the baby's foot and then the flames rapidly reached the baby's chest sounded downright nonsensical to me. Burning the body also doesn't make sense if we assume she wanted to hide the body as soon possible and she didn't want to draw any attention. So why does the prosecution cling to this detail? The answer is simple: the second interrogation. If the prosecution concedes that the whole burning thing is a canard, you can basically throw away the entire second interview and the prosecution's case is sunk. Simply put, this is a hill they have to fight (and die) on! I think it's going to be a losing battle though.

So next week we'll hear the evidence collected from her electronic devices (and her mother will be heard as a witness). We will probably get a lot more information about BSR's online search history, her text messages, and her relationship with her mother. I suspect the evidence will show more proof of the fact that the pregancy was unwanted and BSR was pleased she wasn't pregnant anymore and that she could carry on with her life as if nothing had happened after burying the baby. I also suspect we'll get a lot more insight into her relationship with her mother.

What we won't be seeing, I suspect, are any bombshells that can outright prove either murderous intent or proof of murder. If there were messages like that, it's extremely likely we would've seen them presented during the prosecution's opening statement. We also wouldn't see the prosecution clinging so stubbornly to the burning scenario, which to me is a very strong indicator they desperately need that second interrogation in order to score a conviction.

The second interrogation

The main event next week will be the second interrogation which has already been frequently referred to by both the prosecution and the defense. Based on the snippets I've seen and read from the second interrogation video, some of the methods used are text book Reid technique and at points the interrogators appear to feed the language of the confession to BSR, which, to me, is a major red flag. I'll need to see more of the interview before drawing a full conclusion though.

Okay, rambling post over! English is not my first language, so I hope I wasn't too incoherent in getting my points across! :)

Very well written and understood. If you're a criminal defense attorney you can be verified here. Might be helpful.

You've given me food for thought. However, I think the totality of the circumstances is what must be examined, not evidence isolated in a vacuum. Altogether it is a compelling picture of homicide IMO.

She had an ultrasound. Did that indicate the baby was underweight or is that conjecture based on the fact that no one supposedly detected her pregnancy.

If one part of an interview is false I wholeheartedly disagree that the whole thing must be thrown out. That's not logical IMO and fact is often mixed with fiction.

If what you're saying is true then the interview in which Chris Watts admitted to killing his wife and revealed where he put the bodies is meaningless and should be thrown out because he wasn't telling the truth when in that same interview, he claimed his wife killed the kids and not he.

Leading questions are an acceptable interrogation technique and do lead to solid evidence. This is not an interview of a child victim of abuse. Or of a witness to a crime. In those cases leading questions would be improper.

Finally, I think you're from my mom's country- the Netherlands? She was born in Den Helder, grew up in Amsterdam before and during the war and moved to Amersfoort after the war!

Welcome here!

Last edited:
She found out she was pregnant while there at the appointment. It was there that she was given a pee test.

She could not have been in denial after that point. She was told how far along she was. She was given an ultrasound and shown the bearing heart. She was told she needed to come in for follow up appointments.

She said she could not have a baby and indicated she wanted an abortion. She was told it was too late but was counseled on adoption.

She said she needed the doctor to give her a prescription for birth control because she was not ready to tell her parents she was pregnant and had to fool her mom who was in the waiting room. The doctor reluctantly agreed.

She then researched on the computer how to get rid of a baby.

The doctor's office thereafter called her several times for follow up appointments. She ignored those calls.

She was not in denial. She quickly created a plan of deception that she carried out to the end.

Is this how denial works, though? I’m thinking of my mother in law who was told, repeatedly, that her husband had dementia. He was fired from his job. Family friends sat her down and told her. He ate raw bacon and got lost on dog walks and forgot his own granddaughter. But at every medical appointment she lied and covered for him and then clung to the fact that they said it wasn’t dementia as a result. By the time she accepted it, he had to be put in a home.

Denial is the brain protecting itself from news it cannot handle. It isn’t resolved by that news being spoken or confirmed - in fact it often arises directly in the front of such confirmation, and allows the person to live as if those words had never been spoken.

Murder or stillbirth?

Burning the baby?

The second interrogation

If you hadn't said anything about it, I would not have known that English wasn't your first language. Great post and great use of the English language.

I found the risk factors for being a stillborn. To my knowledge Skylar had only one of them (not living with a partner):

After evaluating a number of factors, they found many maternal factors associated with stillbirth. They include:

Studies Identify Stillbirth Risk Factors, Causes

This is another thing I keep seeing in this thread, but am not sure where it is coming from. I believe the doctor testified that he canceled the prescription. I know BSR said in the interrogation that she still for the birth control pills, but where is the evidence coming from that the doctor gave them to her despite the pregnancy so she could avoid telling her parents about the pregnancy?

Sorry. I should have included the link!

"Richardson told Andrew she wasn’t ready to tell her parents she was pregnant. She needed a prescription for birth control to show her mother, who was in the waiting room. Andrew hesitantly gave Richardson the prescription but insisted that she return as soon as possible for prenatal care. Over the next several weeks, Andrews office tried calling Richardson for follow-up exams but never received a response."

Brooke Skylar Richardson Trial: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know | Heavy.com

The father of the child was only her boyfriend for one month then she dropped him. Too short a time for Mom to think she needed contraceptives. But when a longer relationship developed, she did take her daughter to the family doctor for a prescription. She didn’t judge. She protected her. or so she thought.

Do we know that BSR was never taken to a Dr for her eating disorders? I don’t think we do.

From observing family members in my husbands family, let me point out one conundrum. Families are told that the disorder is the patients attempt to control their own life. Yet this manner of control is ruining their health. So attempts can be made in good faith to try to ameliorate the feeling of the controlling parent...BUT...how to you NOT try to monitor when they are subsisting on a starvation diet and you are watching in horror? You cannot say...you are dangerous thin. You DO take solace in anything that looks like weight gain.

I watched as good parents walked this tightrope. And they were not image obsessed social climbers. It’s a hellish existence that often has no easy answers...but is destructive to every member of the family.

Its easy to judge this family in order to make this young woman a victim, but we really don’t know. Eating disorders seem to have a confluence of possible “causes.” I’m betting Mom will go on the stand like Cindy Anthony and protect her at all costs.

A 17-year-old is going to make choices about sex whether her mother knows about it or not. A mother is in utter denial if she doesn't acknowledge that reality. The fact is, BSR had a boyfriend and had unprotected sex with him and a pregnancy resulted.

Anorexia is a pretty serious mental disorder that can lead to death. It absolutely should be treated by a professional and failure to provide professional health treatment to a child is a crime. If BSR had received counseling for an eating disorder, I think her close family members would have known it.

JMO

Family Sheds New Light On Brooke Skylar Richardson Case

How do we know she didn't judge her daughter for needing birth control? Sounds to me like she was judged for eating popcorn, frankly.

Those parents were downright disturbing in their response to her. I don't think normal parents would react with anything other than horror and grief and a desire to protect at such a moment.

Did you hear the mother? It was ALL about her. "I thought my life was perfect!" "What will [people] think." "The neighbor's know."

Regardless of how much a kid may have put her parents through up to that point, at a moment like that it's a desperate crisis and should be a sign that everything has failed and your kid is totally sick and/or has gone through a horrific event.

They were cold and judgmental. They seemed unconcerned with her feelings or even health.

And others said her mom was controlling.

Again, I admit my reaction is influenced by what I have seen over the years in our extended family. Her parents looked exasperated and exhausted and unsure as to whether she was telling the truth. They are hearing their yard is being torn up and that their daughter gave birth in her bathroom, cleaned up and was happy talking with Mom the next day!

I’d be asking...what? When? No, she was so happy. She couldn’t have birthed a dead baby and planted in our yard and reacted like THAT!

They are angry with her. To me, the enormity of her deception...the fact a baby is dead...and in their yard...does not make some anger an unreasonable response. Especially if this is just the latest and most horrific example of her expertise in the Art of Lying.

The Mother was also reminding her that her actions had repercussions on the entire family, including her brother...and maybe she needed reminding. What do we really know about the family dynamics? Her eating disorder probably gave her a lot of power in that family....a lot of attention.

My thought on the popcorn...was that they bought whatever she wanted...just so she’d eat. She ruled the menu. I can still see our Relative...begging her daughter....who would then stomp out or demand something else...and that would go uneaten too. Oh, the tyranny of a teenager frightening and controlling the entire household...once they learn how their illness empowers them to take charge.

That happens too.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and opinions... All very coherent. I like the way you think!

Murder or stillbirth?

Burning the baby?

The second interrogation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atriumproperties