OH OH - Beverly Potts, 10, Cleveland, 24 Aug 1951

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I doubt it was a local person. It does make sense due to the fact that she was wary of people that she might willingly go with someone she was familiar with. But it seems more probable that it was related to a transient affiliated with the carnival. She was enthralled by the carnival and easily could have been led astray by a worker or out-of-town visitor luring her with a teddy bear or prize etc. Due to the transient lifestyle of the carnival workers or the out-of-towners that nobody would know, it would have been easy to take her far away without suspicion. Nobody at the time would have known the outsiders or could have ID'd them. The carnival would have made a perfect trolling ground.

It would be surprising to me if she is found in Cleveland. The search for her was so extensive that I think she would have been found by now if she was there- unless she was incinerated, as some reports theorized.

I doubt it was a local person. It does make sense due to the fact that she was wary of people that she might willingly go with someone she was familiar with. But it seems more probable that it was related to a transient affiliated with the carnival. She was enthralled by the carnival and easily could have been led astray by a worker or out-of-town visitor luring her with a teddy bear or prize etc. Due to the transient lifestyle of the carnival workers or the out-of-towners that nobody would know, it would have been easy to take her far away without suspicion. Nobody at the time would have known the outsiders or could have ID'd them. The carnival would have made a perfect trolling ground.

It would be surprising to me if she is found in Cleveland. The search for her was so extensive that I think she would have been found by now if she was there- unless she was incinerated, as some reports theorized.
This is my theory. Transient was on the prowl for a victim. I wonder if LE questioned all of the carnival workers before their next move out of the area. Some how I doubt it. MOO

I think she's very possibly a victim of the Mad Butcher. He'd killed Bob Robertson in 1950

I don't think either can be ruled out, tbh. Often cases likes this are closer to home than you think.

I think she's very possibly a victim of the Mad Butcher. He'd killed Bob Robertson in 1950

The Cleveland Torso Murderer? Beverly didn't live far from his stomping ground, although he seems to have gone quiet by the late 1930s. His victimology was drifters and prostitutes, no children from what I can tell. There doesn't appear to be anything tangible to link him to Beverly's disappearance.

I don't think either can be ruled out, tbh. Often cases likes this are closer to home than you think.

The Cleveland Torso Murderer? Beverly didn't live far from his stomping ground, although he seems to have gone quiet by the late 1930s. His victimology was drifters and prostitutes, no children from what I can tell. There doesn't appear to be anything tangible to link him to Beverly's disappearance.
The Butcher killed and dismembered Robertson in Cleveland in 1950. I also believe the Butcher was responsible for two child murders near Murder Swamp in the 20s.

I also believe the Butcher was responsible for two child murders near Murder Swamp in the 20s.

Interesting. Never came across this info before but must read into that. Thanks for sharing.

I concur on all accounts- way too long ago and not the same victimology and M.O. Also it seems many of the victims accredited to the CTM were actually recovered, unlike Beverly. Not however, discounting that there aren't more that were undiscovered. Beverly was surely kidnapped which isn't the Mad Butcher's M.O. He seems like an opportunist preying on random street people types that randomly crossed his path. The unfortunate ones that wouldn't be missed.

Technically, Beverley didn't attend a carnival, did she? "Showagon" was a children's theatre company, wasn't it?

Technically, Beverley didn't attend a carnival, did she? "Showagon" was a children's theatre company, wasn't it?
That's my understanding. I haven't seen anything to link Redmond to this particular crime. He was certainly capable of it, but there were plenty of other creeps out there.

I would love to see a list of employees of the theater company, though.

This is late on my part, but yes it wasn’t a carnival. It was a community talent-show type of event geared towards children with the acts made by locals. There were no rides or anything like that.

(I got this information from a book called Twilight of Innocence)

This is late on my part, but yes it wasn’t a carnival. It was a community talent-show type of event geared towards children with the acts made by locals. There were no rides or anything like that.

(I got this information from a book called Twilight of Innocence)
So if acts were local... does this mean Beverley went with someone she knew and who took advantage of the situation? Maybe they asked her to carry something to their car as they were packing up... and just maybe no other adult noticed this. I wish her remains could be found for the sake of her family ( I know her parents are deceased) but for her sister, cousins and nephews and nieces sake.

First time reading about this case.

Something jumped out at me that may already have been mentioned. She was a well behaved girl, but had been late coming home from the same park a few days before Could there be a link there ? Perhaps grooming?

She was last seen heading towards the exit of the park. If this witness is correct, I feel it makes someone working in the 'carnival' being involved less likely.

Like others have mentioned, a neighbour being involved seems the most likely situation. It seems the least convoluted scenario.

Sad case, with little to go on, unfortunately.

First time reading about this case.

Something jumped out at me that may already have been mentioned. She was a well behaved girl, but had been late coming home from the same park a few days before Could there be a link there ? Perhaps grooming?

She was last seen heading towards the exit of the park. If this witness is correct, I feel it makes someone working in the 'carnival' being involved less likely.

Like others have mentioned, a neighbour being involved seems the most likely situation. It seems the least convoluted scenario.

Sad case, with little to go on, unfortunately.
The show that Beverly attended wasn't a carnival; it was a much smaller affair with a relatively small number of workers.

The perp could have been a neighbor or anyone who attended the event.

I don't think so. I think it was Beverly's friend who saw the plump woman with her hand on her shoulder.

She (Beverly's friend) must have looked back, as she was leaving the park. It was the last time she saw her.

Correction. Another witness claims to have seen Beverly and Patsy having something an argument, before Patsy walked off home alone. (I'm assuming it was over Beverly wanting to stay on while Patsy wanted to leave).

Just want to pose a possible scenario here.

If Patsy goes home upset and talks to her parents, that's one household on Linnet Ave, that knows Beverly will be shortly walking home alone from the park.

It is also a house that Beverly has to walk past on her way home.

It is also a house that Beverly would not be afraid to go into, if a parent or adult wanted to have a 'word' with her about the argument...maybe the situation then unintentionally gets out of hand.

I'm new to reading this case so there is still a lot of information I don't know and there is still that damn '37 Dodge....so feel free to shoot holes in this theory :) !!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CP95
Back