OH OH - Brian Shaffer, 27, Columbus, 1 April 2006 - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
As my name indicates I am an OSU graduate...I was a junior in high school when Brian disappeared. I ended up here after finally deciding to look up the details on "the guy who disappeared from Tuna." It's such a bizarre story, and it really hits home since I've been to that bar myself countless times. I've done quite a bit of reading on this subject since I decided to look it up. One idea I'd like to debunk having lived in the campus area:
-"Brian's body was put in a campus dumpster and was taken away in a trash truck." There's no way. I'd guess that on any given day, at least 5 homeless people have climbed through each and every dumpster looking for scrap metal. They would have found him.
As for the best friend, Clint, everyone wonders why he was so quick to "lawyer up" and why he won't take a polygraph. Having been exposed to criminal justice studies in college, this doesn't seem as damning to me as it does to some people on this forum. The police in general have been known to coerce confessions out of people to quickly close a case, and getting a lawyer can be a very good idea in this case. Also, polygraphs are NOT foolproof. Basically all they measure is anxiety. So if you're a suspect in a missing person's case, and you're being brought into a police interrogation room, chances are you're already pretty anxious. And if you happen to fail accidentally...everyone will think you're guilty. Maybe Clint is involved maybe he's not...but these two things don't have me convinced that he is.
My theory is that Brian left on his own volition. I think everything was just too stressful for him and he bolted. I know many people say that there's no way, but that's what I think.
But for you foul play theorists: Don't you find it strange that Brian's father, the ONE person who was CONSTANTLY keeping Brian's case in the news, and constantly nagging at the police to dig deeper...ended up dead from a falling tree branch? Something sounds fishy there. I'd be curious to know if anyone actually saw that branch fall on him. Seems to me that someone thought it was time to silence the little birdy who wouldn't stop chirping. And also...it's been mentioned on here that Brian's apartment was near the Olentangy River. But it hasn't been mentioned that the river is dammed right at King Avenue (where Brian's apartment was). Well...in the past week or so, they have been draining the reservoir for some reason...will his body turn up? Hopefully not...because he's still alive (I hope.)
Murder gang theorists: Have you been to the Ugly Tuna Saloona area on a busy night? It's crawling with security and cops. If someone was trying to abduct Brian all he'd have to do was yell "Guy's got a gun!" And there would have been a swarm of cops. You may think that Brian wouldn't have the heart to disappear and hurt his family and girlfriend...well I never knew Brian, but to me, all the signs point to that. I look forward to any rebuttal or agreements.

Welcome to websleuths, OSUgrad! Great first post. While I may not necessarily agree with the theory of him taking off on his own, I certainly can't rule it out. And it's always great to hear new opinions. Especially from someone in the area of his disappearance. This case has always been near and dear to my heart. He's a PJ fan! (As nerdy as that sounds). I don't know what would be more heartbreaking for those he left behind-him leaving on his own or meeting with foul play. While I lean towards the foul play, I still don't know what to make of the fact that there was no video of him leaving the bar. Can you tell us how you think he left on his own while also escaping video?

As my name indicates I am an OSU graduate...I was a junior in high school when Brian disappeared. I ended up here after finally deciding to look up the details on "the guy who disappeared from Tuna." It's such a bizarre story, and it really hits home since I've been to that bar myself countless times. I've done quite a bit of reading on this subject since I decided to look it up. One idea I'd like to debunk having lived in the campus area:
-"Brian's body was put in a campus dumpster and was taken away in a trash truck." There's no way. I'd guess that on any given day, at least 5 homeless people have climbed through each and every dumpster looking for scrap metal. They would have found him.
As for the best friend, Clint, everyone wonders why he was so quick to "lawyer up" and why he won't take a polygraph. Having been exposed to criminal justice studies in college, this doesn't seem as damning to me as it does to some people on this forum. The police in general have been known to coerce confessions out of people to quickly close a case, and getting a lawyer can be a very good idea in this case. Also, polygraphs are NOT foolproof. Basically all they measure is anxiety. So if you're a suspect in a missing person's case, and you're being brought into a police interrogation room, chances are you're already pretty anxious. And if you happen to fail accidentally...everyone will think you're guilty. Maybe Clint is involved maybe he's not...but these two things don't have me convinced that he is.
My theory is that Brian left on his own volition. I think everything was just too stressful for him and he bolted. I know many people say that there's no way, but that's what I think.
But for you foul play theorists: Don't you find it strange that Brian's father, the ONE person who was CONSTANTLY keeping Brian's case in the news, and constantly nagging at the police to dig deeper...ended up dead from a falling tree branch? Something sounds fishy there. I'd be curious to know if anyone actually saw that branch fall on him. Seems to me that someone thought it was time to silence the little birdy who wouldn't stop chirping. And also...it's been mentioned on here that Brian's apartment was near the Olentangy River. But it hasn't been mentioned that the river is dammed right at King Avenue (where Brian's apartment was). Well...in the past week or so, they have been draining the reservoir for some reason...will his body turn up? Hopefully not...because he's still alive (I hope.)
Murder gang theorists: Have you been to the Ugly Tuna Saloona area on a busy night? It's crawling with security and cops. If someone was trying to abduct Brian all he'd have to do was yell "Guy's got a gun!" And there would have been a swarm of cops. You may think that Brian wouldn't have the heart to disappear and hurt his family and girlfriend...well I never knew Brian, but to me, all the signs point to that. I look forward to any rebuttal or agreements.

I believe Brian's father died during a severe wind storm,It was an accident. Good point about the dumpster divers and you are right about the Ugly Tuna it would be impossible for anything to have happened in the bar. Its too small and too many people,there would have been too many witnesses.Yes the suspicion revolving around Clint was do his refusal to take a lie detector test. Everybody else took it. Brian's family,his girlfriend and even the girl that was with Brian and Clint that night.No it doesn't prove anything but by refusing to take it ,he cant be ruled out.If he really knew nothing all he did was hurt the investigation because LE could move in another direction.I still would find it very hard to believe he left on his own.Yes everybody knows it happens, but not drunk at 2 in the morning with just the clothes on his back and no money.It would be very difficult to pull off without leaving some kind of trail.My gut tells me it was some kind of accident that was covered up and his body was disposed of.Brian is just one of the dozens of male college students that have disappeared after a night on the town,many have ended up in rivers or just gone without a trace.I wonder if LE is even investigating Brian case anymore?

It saddens me to know that Brian would be working as a physician somewhere, saving lives, doing what he dreamed. He was such a substantial person to our society. What happened to you Brian?

I have finally read most of the post regarding Brian Shaffer. Some I have skimmed through so if any questions I have where previously answered, I apologize in advance.

I have checked out Google maps to get a look at the area. The street level feature is pretty helpful. I have also found that the web site for the complex offers a rudimentary layout of the complex on the available lease space link. From what I have gathered the main entrance is from the walkway that bisects the two building complexes. There appears to be an entrance to the building off of N. High st. I would guess that this would lead to the service/emergency egress from Ugly tuna. I would also think that the band would load equipment in and out of the bar through a service exit.

I have also checked aerial photos from 2006 and going back to 2004. The problem is the site I looked at for aerial photos has very blurred photos from 2004. I was trying to determine exactly what construction was ongoing in 2006. The aerial photo from 2006 plainly shows the parking garage up and operating and given the amount of green I see it must have been taken in the summer. The reasoning is that my first inclination was that Brian left through the entrance that opened on the construction and possibly feel into a trench that was ready for a concrete to be poured for the construction of the parking garage, the frost line in NJ is about 42 inches (should be close to the same for Ohio maybe more) and if another foot is included for the gravel there would be 5ft. deep trenches open. In April there would probably be rain and it would not take much to obscure a body. Particularly if the gravel for the footing is added on the Monday morning following Brian last being seen. The problem is that it appears that the parking garage was at least well under construction in 2004 and would have been nearly complete by April 2006 for the aerial photo to be shot sometime in the late spring/summer. Does anyone know what construction was taking place in April 2006?

Reading the story written by Brian’s father earlier in the threads in appears that there is some confusion relating to the chain of events. According to what Brian’s father wrote (I would imagine that he had the most definitive time line.)

A.- Brian and Clint walked to the Ugly Tuna, walked to another bar, and returned to the Ugly Tuna with Meredith.

B.- At the end of the night Meredith and Clint went to the car while Brian remained behind to talk with the band. I worked the bars for a number of years it was not uncommon for folks to linger behind at or after closing talking with the band/staff etc.

It would seem logical that Brian may have assisted a band member with the removal of equipment from the bar through the service exit. Does anyone know if the band was questioned?

As far as Clint goes. I do not know if he had anything directly to do with Brian’s disappearance but he does appear to be concerned with only himself and his personal well being. I wonder if his refusal to take a lie detector and/or request immunity was due to his being involved in something that if he were convicted would jeopardize his future as a medical professional. I.E. prescription drug fraud. Maybe he provided Brian with drugs he obtained by writing a false prescription. I am not even sure what affect that would have on a medical student’s future. Does anyone know?

Does anyone know if he was part of a fraternity? He is doing secret society hand gestures in three of the pictures in his gallery on his website. The one with his mom, his dad, and his parents. Very curious about this.

Does anyone know if he was part of a fraternity? He is doing secret society hand gestures in three of the pictures in his gallery on his website. The one with his mom, his dad, and his parents. Very curious about this.

I don't recall ever hearing that he was part of a fraternity however those pictures are very curious. I never noticed his hands but i see what you mean. I don't know much about secret societies or the hand gestures. Could it be something else? We know it certainly wasn't a gang sign! How strange...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As far as Clint goes. I do not know if he had anything directly to do with Brian’s disappearance but he does appear to be concerned with only himself and his personal well being. I wonder if his refusal to take a lie detector and/or request immunity was due to his being involved in something that if he were convicted would jeopardize his future as a medical professional. I.E. prescription drug fraud. Maybe he provided Brian with drugs he obtained by writing a false prescription. I am not even sure what affect that would have on a medical student’s future. Does anyone know?

As a nurse, I can speak on this with some authority. If Clint provided Brian with drugs as a med student without prescriptive authority and was caught, it would be career suicide. He would be removed from the program and very likely not be able to return. I've seen externs who would have been amazing physicians lose their dreams due to this kind of error in judgment.

Even if he did have authority to write prescriptions, writing one for his best friend would have been in an ethical gray area, and questioned if anyone took note of who wrote the prescription. People you are close to, like family and friends, really shouldn't be treated by you because it is incredibly hard to remain objective when you love someone and need to plan the best course of care for them. Especially if that care plan is something that they don't want to do-for example, having them wait a week for respiratory symptoms to improve instead of immediately giving them a prescription for antibiotics they may not need. Hope this helps.

Yeah, I agree, that was pretty bad when someone wrote that message when Randy Shaffer died. Turned out it came from someone using a library computer in Columbus.....very sick!

I think this was more than likely a deterrent in hopes that if detectives were still actively working the case, they would think that Brian intentionally disappeared.

I followed this case back in 2006/2007 but never from WS. And the answer to the question I am going to pose may be somewhere within these threads:

Did the police ever follow up on that public computer? Video surveillance etc? Ideally looking for the usual suspect in this case or someone who may be linked to him.

I believe Brian's father died during a severe wind storm,It was an accident..........

Randy's death was due to the remnants of Hurricane Ike after it devastated Galveston, TX. When my friend called to tell me that Randy was killed in the storm because he went outside to get more gas for his generator and a tree branch fell on him, I was beyond words. For any family to endure that much tragedy is absolutely heart breaking.

I don't recall ever hearing that he was part of a fraternity however those pictures are very curious. I never noticed his hands but i see what you mean. I don't know much about secret societies or the hand gestures. Could it be something else? We know it certainly wasn't a gang sign! How strange...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just started looking at this case, but the hand gestures were something I noticed right away in the pictures. I wonder what they mean?

I did see a simliar hand gesture on a website called "How to be a Guido," (really!). It is the "rock on!" hand gesture. I don't know if that's what he's doing or not?

This is the case that brought me to Websleuths. I check back in now and again to see if there's been any progress. I think this case haunts me so much because there really don't seem to be any real answers. How does a grown, fit man seemingly disappear into thin air? I have to admit I'm one of the people that thinks Clint knows more than he is saying. What that is I could only guess at, but that's my sense. Some of the things he said right after Brian disappeared smacked of jealousy more than helpfulness to the investigation.

They don't disappear into thin air as Brian seemingly did. I would imagine it is covered somewhere, but the only thing that makes sense to me is either he was strolled out in a large industrial trash can or in the band's equipment (depending upon the equipment used).

Someone knows something somewhere and I just pray that they are convicted enough one day to say something and not take their secret to the grave with them.

Somewhere earlier in the thread I mentioned how I lived in Columbus at the time Brian went missing while my spouse was finishing up at degree at OSU. We didn't know Brian.

At the time, all the bars and eateries on High St., where "Ugly Tuna" resides were notorious for drunken or sober college student out to have a good time. There were many reports of drunk students getting mugged in the back alleys/spaces behind the shops as well as in the neighborhood "behind" High street where some of the college students lived.
From a LE friend, I have been told many stories of him finding passed out students behind dumpsters or flat out in the middle of the road, sometimes with their money/wallet missing.

All this makes me wonder if Brian left the back way with the band or after the band (unseen) and then walked into a mugging. Except he wasn't drunk and he fought back and injured. The muggers, fearing that he would recognize them- had to "do away" with him.

Another theory- I think it is discussed earlier here on the boards but the details are hazy- Brian had witnessed something the week before? Some fight/attempted rape of a female student? I don't remember exactly, but maybe someone else here does.

I just started looking at this case, but the hand gestures were something I noticed right away in the pictures. I wonder what they mean?

I did see a simliar hand gesture on a website called "How to be a Guido," (really!). It is the "rock on!" hand gesture. I don't know if that's what he's doing or not?
Did Eddie Vedder make the same hand gesture?

I really think too much is being read into the "hand gestures." His hands are at his sides. He is not giving a fraternity/sorority/secret society hand gesture - those are much more overt. He simply looks as if he had semi-relaxed his hand from a fist. Given the venue, his white coat ceremony, it's unsurprising that he would have some tension in his hands.

Can someone link me to the photo where we are discussing hand gestures or lack thereof?

I can't link on my phone, but on the website for Brian there are photos from a graduation or something, and in three or four separate photos he is making the same gesture with his right hand.

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member