OH OH - Brian Shaffer, 27, Columbus, 1 April 2006 - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh wow that's pretty weird. I definitely went in to looking at those photos like it was nothing but I don't know how you just make your hand look like that in three separate photos that are supposed to be professional with your family. Very weird.

How long were these photos from his disappearance?

Has he had any history of mental illness in the past? Medical school is extremely stressful and can bring out MI. I don't remember seeing anything before about him having problems with this before but just want to make sure.

Oh wow that's pretty weird. I definitely went in to looking at those photos like it was nothing but I don't know how you just make your hand look like that in three separate photos that are supposed to be professional with your family. Very weird.

How long were these photos from his disappearance?

Has he had any history of mental illness in the past? Medical school is extremely stressful and can bring out MI. I don't remember seeing anything before about him having problems with this before but just want to make sure.

If I had to guess, the photos were probably within a year of his disappearance. His mom still had hair. No mental illness to my knowledge, but his mom died of cancer a month before he disappeared. Losing a parent is tough, really tough, especially as a young adult. You've finally grown out of your adolescence and just starting to get to know them as an adult and they are taken from you. (I was 22 when my dad died and was going off the deep end for about 6 months after his death).

I can't imagine med school and the loss of a parent. I'm a medical student and it's stressful. A lot of people break just because of school. And some people do just fine in school, but if you add another stressor in there even if it's minor they start to break too. Med school plus the loss of a parent would be very hard. I know of one class mate that has lost his father this year and is still doing well, although I am not very close to him but it appears he is okay. But I do find the hand gesture extremely odd. It was a white coat ceremony where you are wanting to look good. I don't know why would make your hand look anything but normal. White coat ceremony day is not a stressful day, it's happy and fun and a day to reflect on your accomplishments. I don't think he'd be making those gestures from stress. I am very interested in his state of mind around the time he went missing.

If I had to guess, the photos were probably within a year of his disappearance. His mom still had hair. No mental illness to my knowledge, but his mom died of cancer a month before he disappeared. Losing a parent is tough, really tough, especially as a young adult. You've finally grown out of your adolescence and just starting to get to know them as an adult and they are taken from you. (I was 22 when my dad died and was going off the deep end for about 6 months after his death).

I agree. I was 21 when my dad died, and 24 when my mom died. If I hadn't already been married with a child, I don't know what I would have done.

It's easy to imagine that he might have disappeared for a few months or a year because of his mom's death. This case is so weird, though, I am not sure what I think happened to him.

I hope it's Brian or Tony. They've been missing for so long now.

He was found less than a mile from the hospital he was last seen leaving from. So many of these cases the person is found in such close proximity to their last location. I wonder if this is the same for Brian?

I've wondered that myself, but I don't know where he could be. It's a dense urban area, and we've even had Texas Equsearch out.

His remains might not have been found if he ended up in the river. I've always wondered if Brian might have been a victim of the smiley face killers, given the relative proximity to the Olentangy River. If they put him in the river, it could explain why he's not been found.

I've wondered that myself, but I don't know where he could be. It's a dense urban area, and we've even had Texas Equsearch out.

His remains might not have been found if he ended up in the river. I've always wondered if Brian might have been a victim of the smiley face killers, given the relative proximity to the Olentangy River. If they put him in the river, it could explain why he's not been found.
My thoughts have always been that he was placed in the Olentangy River, but not because of smiley face killers.

He was found less than a mile from the hospital he was last seen leaving from. So many of these cases the person is found in such close proximity to their last location. I wonder if this is the same for Brian?
I really believe that Brian is not far from where he went missing, whether it be the river or somewhere else, he is not far away.

I can't believe it has been 7 years since Brian went missing. I was just talking to a friend about this and time does fly. As with most cases the amount of press coverage goes down over time and there really hasn't been anything in the news since 2010. Many things have happened though since his disappearence. His father was tragically killed when a tree snapped in his yard and fell on him in 2008. His girlfriend at the time Alexis, has now married and had a least one child and works in an OB/GYN practice in Toledo and moved out of Columbus in 2012 I believe. I am not sure where his brother is now, but I believe he may have married since then too.

My opinion on what happened is that he left the bar that night through the construction area where there were no cameras and attempted to walk home. I think from there he ran into foul play and was just at the wrong place at the wrong time. Either it was a mugging gone bad and he was killed and then buried somewhere or there was just some bad guys out that night that chose to kill somebody and he was there. I don't believe anyone was following him around or that there was any sort of pre-meditation involved. As far as his friend Clint is concerned, I would venture a guess that he is not guilty of anything other then just being a general jerk in the way he acted and in some of his responses. He took the advice of his attorney and not taking the lie detector test. This was probably a sound strategy legally, however it just makes you look bad in the eyes of the public when you do so.

In any event I just hope that somehow and someway that someone slips up sometime and either brags about this to someone who then notifies law enforcement or has a guilty conscience and decides to fess up if already in jail for another crime. I agree with the posters that think he is probably not far away. I would guess an hour in any direction from the bar.

Hi - glad I'm not the only one that thinks the hand gestures are strange. Looked around a bit more and found this link: http://www.macquirelatory.com/Freemasonry Truth.htm about 3/4 of the way down are a bunch of famous people doing this gesture... not sure if it is a freemason gesture like this site says it is, but wanted to look at the picture cluster for reference. Brian's is at his side and seems deliberate to me. I'm not into conspiracy theories, but gosh it's strange. I'm going to keep looking. For some reason this case haunts me.

I was able to view some security footage from 2013 for the south campus gateway on an unrelated matter. I'm not sure if this was the case back when Brian disappeared, but what I noted that that there was only one camera, and it was manually operated by security personnel. So, although you could get a sweep of the alley in front of the garage and the main center sidewalk area for the businesses, the camera would often linger on random people or events for periods of time, thus leaving you in the dark what was going on in one of the alleys for up to ten minutes. If this was the case when Brian went missing, it leaves me with even more questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay