OH OH - Brian Shaffer, 27, Columbus, 1 April 2006 - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I had major anxiety just posting this not sure what people would think..But I want to say that I did it to try and get people to maybe look into this spot since there is specific info..which I was told by police is the most specific they have gotten..I also want to add..that many others like me felt the same with the tree as I did..without knowing why i sent it to them..I checked it over many times by others who i trust...they all feel the same..I posted this info with love in hopes that it can make a difference...Xo

If he was on foot, it would take a lot longer than 12 minutes to go from Ugly Tuna to the park.

Also, there are a lot of homeless people who live in that area in and around the park, and thus, it gets a lot of attention from police at nights. I can't speak for their patrol schedule back when Brian went missing, but I know know that they police it at regular intervals throughout the day and night. I would think, given those two factors (the homeless tend to bathe in the river up there, and there's always someone fishing) that some evidence would have been found by now.

Not trying to be mean in the least, but skeptical.

He was not on foot...he left with friends..i seen him in a car...if he was put in the river they could've weighted him down and no one would've been able to find him..and i don't feel the spot that he was at many people went...u can be skeptic because most are...but I know what I saw..what I felt..what I do..and who I am...and I would not post this unless i felt certain...and it has been confirmed by about 5 other people ..we can not all be wrong...along with the others who have said hes in the river...the police even said it made since ...so I guess we will see..if its searched properly..( I didn't see my last post so i reposted sorry)

THe fishing area that i meant is not in the same spot..they made it so he wasn't found..hes def in that area..and that tree..ohh that tree...trust me when about 5 other amazing gifted people see it and feel the same without knowing what the tree is..that says something..but each to their own..i understand skeptics..u have to see to believe..and i hope one day u will..Im not trying to get anyone to believe in what i say but ii just hope it urges a better search of the area and river..and another thing we have to remember..the area was different in 2006

Friends? The same friends he went to the bar with or did he meet up with other ones at the bar? And my question would be if he left with friends, how come he is not on camera leaving the bar, only entering?

THe fishing area that i meant is not in the same spot..they made it so he wasn't found..hes def in that area..and that tree..ohh that tree...trust me when about 5 other amazing gifted people see it and feel the same without knowing what the tree is..that says something..but each to their own..i understand skeptics..u have to see to believe..and i hope one day u will..Im not trying to get anyone to believe in what i say but ii just hope it urges a better search of the area and river..and another thing we have to remember..the area was different in 2006

If you're referring to ANY fishing area in Scioto Audubon park, my statements still apply. A LOT of homeless people live down near there, bathe in the river, fish, etc. Although the park opened in 2009, it has always had a pretty heavy police presence because of the homeless there AND because the city's impound lot was located adjacent, right on Whittier, until 2010 (yes, that peninsula/fishing area you see on Google maps, right by that tree you're talking about).

The park itself is a remediation project for a former brownfield. A lot of the ponds and wetlands were created by manually digging holes and replacing with clean dirt.

Further, they've found bodies in that location before. http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2011/04/15/mans-body-found-in-scioto-river.html

Like I said before, I'm skeptical. It seems improbable that these "friends" would pick an area that often has people there, and a strong police presence to dump a body.

The news has updated. It appears it was an elderly man. I knew it likely wasn't Brian, but every time I hear they've found a body, I hope it's him.

http://www.columbusmonthly.com/content/stories/2014/09/when-missing-persons-cases-go-cold.html
When Missing Persons Cases Go Cold
By Michelle Sullivan
From the September 2014 edition

Ms. Sullivan highlights Brian's case in a very well written article published online and this month's print edition of Columbus Monthly.
When a person—child or adult—disappears, family and friends are often left with nothing but unanswered questions and unhealed wounds. They replay moments again and again, spend hours gazing out the front window, leave lights on, pray. It’s a torment that likely won’t cease until they find the person they so miss, or, in many cases, not even then.

On an ordinary Friday night near Ohio State’s campus, students swarmed High Street, the pulsing artery of university nightlife aglow with street lamps and neon signs. They filled rows of bars and restaurants, shaking off any last remnants of winter’s hibernation. It was March 31, 2006, spring break was right around the corner and the weather was beginning to warm. Too cool for shorts, but balmy enough that long sleeves could stand in for a jacket.
Ohio Missing Persons Cases by the Numbers

• 22,911 Ohioans reported missing to the National Crime Information Center last year
  • 4,515 missing persons reports received by the Columbus Division of Police last year
  • 90,000 estimated people currently missing in the U.S., according to the National Missing and Unidentified Person System
  • 337 missing person cases resolved through NamUs since its inception in 2007

http://www.columbusmonthly.com/content/stories/2014/09/when-missing-persons-cases-go-cold.html
When Missing Persons Cases Go Cold
By Michelle Sullivan
From the September 2014 edition

Ms. Sullivan highlights Brian's case in a very well written article published online and this month's print edition of Columbus Monthly.

WOW!!!

Probably one of the most detailed and heartfelt missing persons' articles I have ever read! It's so good that the Webslueths Administrator and Moderators might even want to consider pinning it up in a special place in the forums. This is because, in addition to Brian's case, there are other cases discussed as well. This is award-winning journalism and highly recommended reading! The support networks mentioned, should be a model for other missing persons cases!

This is very helpful and caring information. Thank you!

Satch

It really makes no sense. I've been to the Gateway area so many times. I've hung out in Ugly Tuna. Brian's case has always stuck with me, because it's so odd. Lots of people go missing; far fewer disappear from somewhere like Ugly Tuna without being seen on security cameras.

That has always made me think of someone who knew exactly where the cameras are. Now, I don't know if this was the case when he went missing, but we recently subpoenaed the security footage for Gateway, and the cameras are very good, and manually operated. They cover so much ground, and can really zoom in. The cameras usually complete and sweep through the area, but the operator does have the ability to stop and focus on things going on. The interesting thing about it however, was that the operator could be zooming in on something that caught his/her attention, and totally miss something happening in another part of the zone they are sweeping. I'm guessing the technology wasn't as good when he went missing, but if this was the case then, it is possible that Brian left by the front door, and was simply missed by the outdoor cameras if they were distracted by something else. At least, if there were blind spots indoors at the main entrance/exit that he could also pass by unseen.

I have some theories and questions about what happened to Brian:

1.) He was simply missed by the security cameras and left for reasons unknown. Possible depression? Intoxication? Or both? Suicide? Start a new life?
2.) He never left the bar, or maybe left the bar, and for some horrible reason got into a fight with someone at the bar in that "construction area" where the camera's were not present. Or some area were their wasn't a camera. Either inside or outside of the bar. The fight led to him tragically being killed, and his body was hidden to cover-up any evidence.
3.) The women with whom he was talking to according to the article know something, and aren't talking for fear of incrimination. Usually the last person to see a missing person alive may have important information. The ladies may not be directly involved.
4.) How many friends did Brian go to the bar with, and any he met there? Did they take polygraphs? Results? Did any refuse?
5.) From family members and Brian's girlfriend, what do they think happened to Brian?
6.) Did Brian have any known enemies or substance abuse problems? Medication taking? Anxiety?
7.) Was he a good student? Hobbies? Introverted? Extroverted? Personality-type?
8.) Can more be told about this outside escalator? Typically escalators are found on the inside of the building. At the Ugly Tuna, what is at the lower level? Is it another business or an extension of Ugly Tuna? What were the camera's like at this lower level?
9.) How many camera's existed in both floors of the building, and what details are known about the construction site? This was not monitored by cameras, correct? Could Brian have gone to that construction area and had a fatal accident?
10) How many places in both levels of the building could Brian or if any perpetrator of a crime was involved, hide?
11.) What was/has the attitude of bar management been like since Brian's disappearance?
12.) How has Ugly Tuna changed in both exterior and interior design since Brian's disaperence? At the time Brian vanished, how many security cameras were in the building?

Satch

Another article about Brian, with some seemingly different time interval information.

September 25, 2006

In the weeks following the April 1 disappearance of Ohio State University medical student, Brian Shaffer, searchers combed the brush and bike path along the Olentangy river, from Lane Avenue to Confluence Park.

The missing student's father, Randall Shaffer, told reporters, "I don't want to find my son in the water someplace. I'm not saying he's there, and I pray to God he's not."

There was no reason to look in that particular place for clues. Brian had last been seen out at a bar with friends who were celebrating the start of spring break. Never the less, the area was searched and -- like every other place they'd looked -- authorities found nothing.

Brian Shaffer is just -- gone. The 27-year-old is 6 feet 2 inches tall and weighs about 170 pounds. He has hazel eyes and a tattoo of the Pearl Jam symbol on his upper right arm.

Police have no idea what could've happened. Shaffer's mother died shortly before he disappeared, and at one point, his father Randy suggested the stress of her death might have been too much for Brian. But it's now been half a year since anyone's heard from him. Family and friends are sure he didn't simply decide to take off. His car was parked at his apartment. His cell phone and credit cards have not been used.

Clint Florence is the last person to have seen Brian Shaffer. The two used to live together and were out bar-hopping till early on Saturday morning on April 1.

Florence told NBC-4 in Columbus that the men headed to the Ugly Tuna Saloon at about 9:15 PM. At about 10:30 Brian spoke with his girlfriend by phone. At 11:00 the men walked to the Short North Tavern, and at 11:40 they walked to another bar. Around 1:15 they returned to the Ugly Tuna.

Florence said while he was drinking, Brian periodically walked away to talk with some people he knew. Shaffer was last seen on surveillance cameras at about 2:00 AM.

"Brian got up with them. I am assuming he got up with them, walked out with them to talk with them on the foyer before going on the escalator . . . I called him that night and it went straight to voicemail. It was about 2 a.m. and -- no answer," Florence said.

At closing time, after looking for his friend, Clint Florence left the bar. "Of course, I regret now leaving, but I didn't think anything of it. I didn't think Brian -- that anything happened to him because he is known to walk away," Florence said.

Taken from (other articles about different cases here.) Do a Find in your browser to type a known word to get to the source article quickley:

http://vanceholmes.com/court/trial_missing.html

Long interview with Brian's father, Randy here, before he died in the storm accident:

http://missingpiecesshow.homestead.com/MissingPiecesEpisode64Archive.html

Another article about Clint (Brian's friend) refusing a polygraph and some other information about some of Brian's friends comments on the case:

http://thelantern.com/2009/04/is-brian-shaffer-alive/

Satch

I worked in Col-OH for about a year, and remember hearing about this case after I left. I pray that the friends and family of Brian find answers, it’s been too long. I’m of the belief that most of the time the most straight-forward reasons are why people go missing. In this case, the most reasonable thought is Brain had too much to drink, slipped passed cameras (cameras never work 100% of the time, or was innocently masked by others, etc), headed home and most likely fell into a body of water. That said, the reluctance of his friend stood out from the beginning. After a bit of research, here’s my ‘wilder’ hypothesis:
1. BS and CF were friends, but started to have tensions over money or illegal activities
2. CF started developing synthetic drugs that were sold/funnel/serviced out of some of these bars near campus
3. BS, maybe after the death of his mother, but maybe before, started assisting CF in this trade
4. At some point, BS either wanted to get out or threaten to expose CF and/or the bar owners – OR, started to be more trouble than he was worth in their eyes
5. That night, BS probably was with CF and someone at the bar in an office. They could’ve stayed there or went to a home form someone at the bar
6. BS – either accidently OD’d on this synthetic drug OR was killed during an argument over it/money
7. CF, knowing if the drugs were found on or IN BS, would implicate them all, especially him since he was most likely manufacturing them (or providing raw material)
8. In collusion, the bar ownership/partner and CF had to dispose of the BSs body (either from the home or the bar)
9. CFs work in this field, and maybe other applications of it, would be worth protecting not only by him but maybe others on staff at OSU or beyond.
10. It would explain why CF would want ‘immunity’ for information, in the event it was discovered BS OD’d, he wouldn’t want to be held accountable (even if it was BS’s ‘fault’).
11. It could explain why BSs gf didn’t like him hanging around CF or maybe why roommate situation ended.
12. If one really wanted to get answers, a few things to explore:
a. I assume most med students are in debt during and many years after – how are CFs finances?
b. History of phone calls between CF, BS, and anyone at the bar
c. History of deaths/ODs in or around campus where drug tox were ‘inconclusive, strange or ‘unknown’
Footnote: portions of the above could be true as well as the ‘most likely’ version I mentioned. CF could’ve given BS these drugs, which caused him to go into some sort of manic state and disappear. CF, then would not want to disclose his drug could’ve been responsible for his disappearance.

I worked in Col-OH for about a year, and remember hearing about this case after I left. I pray that the friends and family of Brian find answers, it’s been too long. I’m of the belief that most of the time the most straight-forward reasons are why people go missing. In this case, the most reasonable thought is Brain had too much to drink, slipped passed cameras (cameras never work 100% of the time, or was innocently masked by others, etc), headed home and most likely fell into a body of water. That said, the reluctance of his friend stood out from the beginning. After a bit of research, here’s my ‘wilder’ hypothesis:
1. BS and CF were friends, but started to have tensions over money or illegal activities
2. CF started developing synthetic drugs that were sold/funnel/serviced out of some of these bars near campus
3. BS, maybe after the death of his mother, but maybe before, started assisting CF in this trade
4. At some point, BS either wanted to get out or threaten to expose CF and/or the bar owners – OR, started to be more trouble than he was worth in their eyes
5. That night, BS probably was with CF and someone at the bar in an office. They could’ve stayed there or went to a home form someone at the bar
6. BS – either accidently OD’d on this synthetic drug OR was killed during an argument over it/money
7. CF, knowing if the drugs were found on or IN BS, would implicate them all, especially him since he was most likely manufacturing them (or providing raw material)
8. In collusion, the bar ownership/partner and CF had to dispose of the BSs body (either from the home or the bar)
9. CFs work in this field, and maybe other applications of it, would be worth protecting not only by him but maybe others on staff at OSU or beyond.
10. It would explain why CF would want ‘immunity’ for information, in the event it was discovered BS OD’d, he wouldn’t want to be held accountable (even if it was BS’s ‘fault’).
11. It could explain why BSs gf didn’t like him hanging around CF or maybe why roommate situation ended.
12. If one really wanted to get answers, a few things to explore:
a. I assume most med students are in debt during and many years after – how are CFs finances?
b. History of phone calls between CF, BS, and anyone at the bar
c. History of deaths/ODs in or around campus where drug tox were ‘inconclusive, strange or ‘unknown’
Footnote: portions of the above could be true as well as the ‘most likely’ version I mentioned. CF could’ve given BS these drugs, which caused him to go into some sort of manic state and disappear. CF, then would not want to disclose his drug could’ve been responsible for his disappearance.

:wagon: to Websleuths, vengeance712!

:gthanks: for joining us in Brian's thread. :wave:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members