OH OH - Brian Shaffer, 27, Columbus, 1 April 2006 - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
"Talk to the band", could be an excuse to leave.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's what I feel as well. Kind of a strange excuse though since it doesn't seem like that would buy him a lot of time until they went looking for him again. I guess maybe Brian figured they would just leave once they couldn't find him and think that he just went home on his own.

That's what I feel as well. Kind of a strange excuse though since it doesn't seem like that would buy him a lot of time until they went looking for him again. I guess maybe Brian figured they would just leave once they couldn't find him and think that he just went home on his own.

I still find it weird he wouldn't cooperate fully with police (as if he knows something). I mean even he moved away to Texas. Maybe he knows where he is or what happened. Did Brian have money?

I still find it weird he wouldn't cooperate fully with police (as if he knows something). I mean even he moved away to Texas. Maybe he knows where he is or what happened. Did Brian have money?

It's strange. What are his options?

1. Keep holding onto whatever he knows, knowing it makes him look suspect?

2. The police possibly decide to offer him immunity down the road just for closure's sake.

3. He could tell what he knows publicly. I.e. maybe "Yes, he's alive, but there's a reason I can't tell you where he is." That would be a start, but then everyone would just press him for his location. I'm assuming if he was alive, only a really good reason could cause Clint to hold onto the secret for so long.

4. He can't very well publicly admit if he contributed to his death because that would land him in jail. And if he knows something, his own safety could depend on his ability to keep his mouth shut.

I wonder how often people reach out to Clint and ask him to share what he knows. I bet several times a year.

I've also even wondered a couple times if they've checked his brother or Clint's phone/email records to see if Brian might occasionally reach out to them? That they somehow do have more information, now, but are protecting him from public scrutiny? Seems far fetched, and probably just a sad hope as I'm sure relatives WISH he HAD contacted them and he hasn't. But it's crossed my mind.

I'm not sure of the financial status of the Shaffer family. I'd guess probably middle class since Brian was attending state school and for undergrad as well. Not to mention some finances must have suffered from treating his mother's cancer. As for Clint not speaking to authorities, I know that he did when it first happened, but became less cooperative when more detectives got involved. I read in an article somewhere that Clint's attorney stated in an interview that it was HIS idea and insistence that Clint stop talking to the authorities. Any legal counsel would obviously advise this. He felt that Clint had already told everything he knew, and it was pointless to keep repeating the same story over and over. As for moving away, I think that could be another effort to just get his name disassociated with the case. Was Clint originally from Texas or did he just randomly choose there to move and work? I know that one of the theories about Brian is that he moved to Texas to live with an ex. Just an interesting coincidence

It's strange. What are his options?

1. Keep holding onto whatever he knows, knowing it makes him look suspect?

2. The police possibly decide to offer him immunity down the road just for closure's sake.

3. He could tell what he knows publicly. I.e. maybe "Yes, he's alive, but there's a reason I can't tell you where he is." That would be a start, but then everyone would just press him for his location. I'm assuming if he was alive, only a really good reason could cause Clint to hold onto the secret for so long.

4. He can't very well publicly he admit he contributed to his death because that would land him in jail. And if he knows something, his own safety could depend on his ability to keep his mouth shut.

I wonder how often people reach out to Clint and ask him to share what he knows. I bet several times a year.

I've also even wondered a couple times if they've checked his brother or Clint's phone/email records to see if Brian might occasionally reach out to them? That they somehow do have more information, now, but are protecting him from public scrutiny? Seems far fetched, and probably just a sad hope as I'm sure relatives WISH he HAD contacted them and he hasn't. But it's crossed my mind.

Yeah, I wonder if Brian gave him money to not talk. Maybe he saw how much coverage his case got and decided to stay away.

Well I've looked at his brother's wife's facebook (Derek doesn't have one) and I see that in pictures of Derek, he is still wearing a green bracelet with Brian's name on it. I definitely don't think Derek knows anything.

Well I've looked at his brother's wife's facebook (Derek doesn't have one) and I see that in pictures of Derek, he is still wearing a green bracelet with Brian's name on it. I definitely don't think Derek knows anything.

Can you send the link?

At this point for now, i tend to believe that Brian left the bar and his past/future life of his own volition.
The combination of his mother's death, life as a doctor and married man may have all been too much, perhaps that had been going through his mind prior to the night at the bar.
Maybe the music, the fun, the girls, the drinks all hit him at once and he right there and then seemingly on impulse, chose to leave everything behind.
Maybe it was too difficult to explain to people that he had a change of mind about his career and possibly impending marriage, maybe he thought it would be less painful for everyone if he simply disappeared? He did not want to disappoint anybody, but perhaps he just wanted to be free?
Perhaps at first he thought he would return for the sake of his father and woman he loved, but eventually when his dad passed away and his gf married someone else, decided he had no desire to return and feared getting in trouble?
How would he leave without being seen? Who knows, Brian is obviously a very smart guy and could have figured something out.
Whether or not he is alive now remains to be seen, but he could easily alter his appearance, or not- many guys look similar to Brian, he could be anywhere, hope he makes a reappearance one day soon.
all speculation, imo.

You're probably right.

I know all of us would handle things differently. I personally couldn't bear staying separated from my siblings this long, especially after his second parent died. Since Brian was in a humanitarian field and considered a nice guy, his absence makes me think he's passed away then.

But I think you or others have pointed out that he may have felt it was too late to show up again after the trouble it caused.

I wonder if Derek or any of the police detectives from his case ever come on here? Or even Clint and Meredith? If this case had been central to my life, I'm sure I would think about it from time to time and look to see what's being said. Short of one of them providing more info about the police's theories, Brian's history, the band, or what happened, it's hard to imagine how we could get more information.

Can you send the link?

I don't think we're allowed to post their links unless they're the victim or POI, but Derek has been at a few fundraiser type things over the years--I think--so I don't think it'd be that hard to track him down.

I don't think we're allowed to post their links unless they're the victim or POI, but Derek has been at a few fundraiser type things over the years--I think--so I don't think it'd be that hard to track him down.

Oh ok. Matthew you can delete your post if you want.

Ok I apologize. I deleted the link. Didn't know we weren't allowed to post them

I don't know the name of the band but I saw in the msnbc video about the case that one of the detectives said the band was questioned and unable to provide any information. I believe they also said they don't even recall Brian talking to them. But of course, if they DID invite Brian to hang out with them after and he overdosed then of course they would deny ever knowing him. They wouldn't want their name attached to Brian's disappearance or a drug scandal. Was the band the last to leave besides the staff? Brian said around 2 am that he was going to talk to the band, but I doubt they'd pack up and be gone in only 10 minutes when everyone was leaving and Clint and Meredith were supposedly looking for him. Once it cleared out more I feel like if he was helping the band pack up then his friends would have been able to locate him.

Did he actually say "he was going to talk to the band?" I thought it was just a speculation, then again, why say that if he didn't say something to lead them to speculate that? :thinking:

You're probably right.

I know all of us would handle things differently. I personally couldn't bear staying separated from my siblings this long, especially after his second parent died. Since Brian was in a humanitarian field and considered a nice guy, his absence makes me think he's passed away then.

But I think you or others have pointed out that he may have felt it was too late to show up again after the trouble it caused.

I wonder if Derek or any of the police detectives from his case ever come on here? Or even Clint and Meredith? If this case had been central to my life, I'm sure I would think about it from time to time and look to see what's being said. Short of one of them providing more info about the police's theories, Brian's history, the band, or what happened, it's hard to imagine how we could get more information.

I'm not that close with my siblings, for me "out of sight, out of mind". It's a shame, but my family is quite dysfunctional, sometimes that's just the way it is. I could do it, just leave and never see them again. I might miss them here and again, but I go for months without even talking to them, we don't have much in common and just aren't close. I actually had a dream the other night where I said, "I must be adopted" LOL. Just saying, because if you remember, it was reported that after Brian's mom died, he then reportedly became closer with his brother in that he would call him from time to time. From this, it doesn't sound like they were that close. Easier to go off and start a new life if that's the case, that's all I'm saying. jmo

Did he actually say "he was going to talk to the band?" I thought it was just a speculation, then again, why say that if he didn't say something to lead them to speculate that? :thinking:
well that conversation may never have even happened. We only have Clint and Meredith's word to rely on, which based on Clint's refusal of taking a polygraph test, may be a little suspect. For all we actually know, Brian may never have even met up with Clint and Meredith again after separating from them the first time. Anything that happened after he was caught on film at 1:55 is total speculation.

I mostly just hope that if he is alive then he at least is able to support himself and surviving okay. I mean, I can't imagine he'd be living under the name Brian Shaffer anymore, so I don't know how he'd go about changing all that. And then there's finding a job and a home. Unless, as stated earlier, he's living on some tropical island where the rules are loosey goosey. However, this just entertaining theories again, but sadly something in my gut is telling me he's no longer on this Earth :(
Changing a name is relatively easy. Getting a new Social Security number is much harder. It was the SS number that tripped up Nicholas Francisco when he disappeared.
But with a little money a new identity can be had.

Well...Meredith is the one who said it, I think. And she passed a polygraph...so it seems like he might've.

Changing a name is relatively easy. Getting a new Social Security number is much harder. It was the SS number that tripped up Nicholas Francisco when he disappeared.
But with a little money a new identity can be had.

I was thinking about that. It'd be a big shift to adopt to life off the social grid. If you lived with someone, or found a network of people who let you pay rent and work under the table, a smart person could pull it off I'm sure.

Well...Meredith is the one who said it, I think. And she passed a polygraph...so it seems like he might've.

Maybe he meant go walk up by the band - to listen to them closely or something? Just another perspective.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member