OH OH - Brian Shaffer, 27, Columbus, 1 April 2006 - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I keep trying to come up with how one or more persons could have gotten Brian out of the bar undetected by the cameras if there was foul play involved, or an unintentional overdose. If there had been a physical altercation of sorts it seems it would have caught someone's attention. Could he have still been inside the bar when it closed? Could someone inside the bar have manipulated the cameras? Could he have been hidden somewhere inside for a while and then moved?

Or were Clint and Meredith involved thus their stories fabricated? I can see Clint but not so sure Meredith. Well, maybe if they were doing illegal substrances and Brian had some sort of reaction or overdose. But then it's hard to imagine everyone around going along with a cover up including bar and restaurant staff and band members and any customers there.

Or, had he previously scoped the place out himself and realized the construction area and exit had no cameras, then planned his own voluntary exit ? According to his two friends, they looked around for him, sure seems like they'd noticed if some sort of scuffle or incident was going on. IIRC, it was close to closing time when Brian walked away, leaving a small window of time for any kind of altercation to happen.

Unless the cameras just missed him and something happened after he left. Mysterious. I remember reading about the detective that worked Brian's case, he said the only way Brian could have gotten out unseen was if he went out a second floor window, (paraphrased). He said everywhere he goes he looks for Brian's face. I can imagine how he feels.

ETA: I can't find that article now, but in this one the detective indicates the chances of Brian walking away are greater than the chance of foul play or suicide. Also, his GF, Alexis states that looking back, she finds it odd that Brian told her a few days before that she should move on and find someone else, and two weeks before that that they should just run away together (paraphrased).

http://www.dispatch.com/content/sto...-years-later-brian-shaffer-still-missing.html

Yes, him stating those things points to depression as I had brought up prior. I think he was upset over his mom's death, overwhelmed with everything in his life, and it made him stress out and get depressed. He wanted to run away from his life. That's how it sounds by looking at what he said prior to his disappearance. Maybe Clint recalled a time when Brian said something to him possibly about running away and leaving his life behind. And when he wasn't found, assumed maybe he doesn't want to be, so he's trying to distance himself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I keep trying to come up with how one or more persons could have gotten Brian out of the bar undetected by the cameras if there was foul play involved, or an unintentional overdose. If there had been a physical altercation of sorts it seems it would have caught someone's attention. Could he have still been inside the bar when it closed? Could someone inside the bar have manipulated the cameras? Could he have been hidden somewhere inside for a while and then moved?

Or were Clint and Meredith involved thus their stories fabricated? I can see Clint but not so sure Meredith. Well, maybe if they were doing illegal substrances and Brian had some sort of reaction or overdose. But then it's hard to imagine everyone around going along with a cover up including bar and restaurant staff and band members and any customers there.

Or, had he previously scoped the place out himself and realized the construction area and exit had no cameras, then planned his own voluntary exit ? According to his two friends, they looked around for him, sure seems like they'd noticed if some sort of scuffle or incident was going on. IIRC, it was close to closing time when Brian walked away, leaving a small window of time for any kind of altercation to happen.

Unless the cameras just missed him and something happened after he left. Mysterious. I remember reading about the detective that worked Brian's case, he said the only way Brian could have gotten out unseen was if he went out a second floor window, (paraphrased). He said everywhere he goes he looks for Brian's face. I can imagine how he feels.

ETA: I can't find that article now, but in this one the detective indicates the chances of Brian walking away are greater than the chance of foul play or suicide. Also, his GF, Alexis states that looking back, she finds it odd that Brian told her a few days before that she should move on and find someone else, and two weeks before that that they should just run away together (paraphrased).

http://www.dispatch.com/content/sto...-years-later-brian-shaffer-still-missing.html
From what I've seen of pictures of the Ugly Tuna, it seems like it's a big open room with the bar in the center and dancefloor/tables around it. The only place they could have hidden Brian for awhile was maybe the kitchen but again, dragging him in there without anyone noticing is incredibly unlikely. As I said before, I tend to think whatever happened to him (provided this is a case of homicide or accidental death coverup) happened to him outside the bar. Going back to the idea of him scoping out the place beforehand, I suppose that's possible. I still would love to know whose idea it was to return to the Ugly Tuna that night. Was it Brian's? Maybe he wanted to make sure to end the night there because that was the place he already scoped out and planned his exit from.

Yes, him stating those things points to depression as I had brought up prior. I think he was upset over his mom's death, overwhelmed with everything in his life, and it made him stress out and get depressed. He wanted to run away from his life. That's how it sounds by looking at what he said prior to his disappearance. Maybe Clint recalled a time when Brian said something to him possibly about running away and leaving his life behind. And when he wasn't found, assumed maybe he doesn't want to be, so he's trying to distance himself.

If Clint believes Brian left on his own, leaving him there to defend himself against the accusations and to deal with LE, that could explain, as according to Brian's brother, Clints negativity whenever talking about Brian. Could be a result of some anger and resentment, feelings of betrayal.

Over on True Crime Garage site they state they're working on a lead on Brian's case with LE. This is stated in a comment by them on November 5th 2016, then again January 21st 2017. They don't actually state LE , they say "the Captain". So I guess I'm assuming LE.

I haven't had a chance to listen to the podcasts, they are 1.99 each, which I have no problem with, but they're over an hour long each which requires setting aside a bit of time. The podcasts are at the "store" link.

ETA: seems to be quite a bit of speculation including OSU campus rumor that Brian and Clint were involved in some drug dealing, which if true could shed a different light on what may have happened.

https://truecrimegarage.com/podcast/blog/brian-shaffer-part-2-17

Hopefully these images can give better visuals for some. Google's 3D map enhancements (if your video card supports it) are great... if these are helpful in anyway, and anyone would like more views related to this case or another, feel free to contact me if your video card won't support google's 3D maps. Please keep in mind: I am not sure if the landscape changed drastically, or at all from the time Brian went messing vs the time google captured these.

attachment.php

Attachments

• uts01.jpg
    uts01.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 160
  • uts02.jpg
    uts02.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 48
ETA: seems to be quite a bit of speculation including OSU campus rumor that Brian and Clint were involved in some drug dealing, which if true could shed a different light on what may have happened.
That would open to door to new theories, some I believe some people on this thread may have even suggested. Maybe Brian was killed over a debt or drug deal gone wrong. His body gets hidden, and Clint doesn't talk because he was involved with the drug scene/selling drugs and doesn't want to face charges of dealing. He may not have been involved in Brian's disappearance but maybe he knew who was and didn't want to talk out of fear that they'll go after him next

That would open to door to new theories, some I believe some people on this thread may have even suggested. Maybe Brian was killed over a debt or drug deal gone wrong. His body gets hidden, and Clint doesn't talk because he was involved with the drug scene/selling drugs and doesn't want to face charges of dealing. He may not have been involved in Brian's disappearance but maybe he knew who was and didn't want to talk out of fear that they'll go after him next

Or, alternatively, if there were any major drug busts in the area around that time he could have turned state's evidence and gone into witnesses protection... but that would not normally involve any other party (Clint) who could potentially yap about it and would not be such a "high profile" disappearance. More likely to disappear quietly or stage a death that looks irrefutable.

MOO

Or, alternatively, if there were any major drug busts in the area around that time he could have turned state's evidence and gone into witnesses protection... but that would not normally involve any other party (Clint) who could potentially yap about it and would not be such a "high profile" disappearance. More likely to disappear quietly or stage a death that looks irrefutable.

MOO

Interesting theory, but I don't think the police force would be making such high appeals to the public and offer reward money to find him. And like you said, it's so "high profile". The point of witness protection is to NOT have your picture put out everywhere haha.

Over on True Crime Garage site they state they're working on a lead on Brian's case with LE. This is stated in a comment by them on November 5th 2016, then again January 21st 2017. They don't actually state LE , they say "the Captain". So I guess I'm assuming LE.

I haven't had a chance to listen to the podcasts, they are 1.99 each, which I have no problem with, but they're over an hour long each which requires setting aside a bit of time. The podcasts are at the "store" link.

https://truecrimegarage.com/podcast/blog/brian-shaffer-part-2-17

Just a heads up neesaki the "Captain" is the co host of the show.

Just a heads up neesaki the "Captain" is the co host of the show.

So the lead really doesn't involve LE? Have you listenened to the podcasts ? And thanks for the heads up, leap! :)

People have suggested this, and also that they may have been pushing prescription drugs. Is there any actual evidence that suggests this or are we just grasping at straws because they were pursuing their medical degrees and that's a possible area of abuse?

People have suggested this, and also that they may have been pushing prescription drugs. Is there any actual evidence that suggests this or are we just grasping at straws because they were pursuing their medical degrees and that's a possible area of abuse?

My mind keeps going back to the two men following someone who was Brian's size, yet when his family reviewed it they didn't think it was Brian. I'm just thinking that IF it had anything to do with dugs, someone took the drugs and kept their money... they were criminals that tragically Brian got involved with and trusted the wrong people. IDK, it's just sad. :(

My mind keeps going back to the two men following someone who was Brian's size, yet when his family reviewed it they didn't think it was Brian. I'm just thinking that IF it had anything to do with dugs, someone took the drugs and kept their money... they were criminals that tragically Brian got involved with and trusted the wrong people. IDK, it's just sad. :(

When was this? I don't know if I remember it. Was it that evening on other cameras?

When was this? I don't know if I remember it. Was it that evening on other cameras?

Yeah it was from that evening. Cops had reviewed all the footage from that night and at one point they saw a man they thought could be Brian being followed by 2 other men. I trust that if his family and friends didn't think it was Brian, then it probably wasn't. Not sure how grainy that footage was to not be sure whether it was him or not.

Yeah it was from that evening. Cops had reviewed all the footage from that night and at one point they saw a man they thought could be Brian being followed by 2 other men. I trust that if his family and friends didn't think it was Brian, then it probably wasn't. Not sure how grainy that footage was to not be sure whether it was him or not.

Oh, interesting! I wonder why they assumed it was him....wish we could see the footage.

Oh, interesting! I wonder why they assumed it was him....wish we could see the footage.

I cant find the article anymore, link no longer works. But it's in Bessdrews timeline in her post #807.

For those questioning proximity to Brian's apartment and water, I'm posting a screenshot below. You can see the Ugly Tuna, and the intersection of Forsythe Ave & King Ave is the approximate location of Brian's apartment according to http://www.findbrianshaffer.com The 1387 address is completely made up by me just to get the walking route close. On the far left is the Olentangy River.

http://www.findbrianshaffer.com also lists an important detail regarding Brian's clothing: Olive green polo short-sleeved shirt with a white long sleeve shirt under it" - The polo could've been taken off, and he may have only been wearing the white shirt. Maybe purposely, maybe because someone spilled something on it?

For those questioning surveillance tape quality/information, part of it can be seen here [video=youtube;T7O6S4w2qaE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7O6S4w2qaE[/video] starting at the 12:00 minute mark.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 100
For those questioning proximity to Brian's apartment and water, I'm posting a screenshot below. You can see the Ugly Tuna, and the intersection of Forsythe Ave & King Ave is the approximate location of Brian's apartment according to http://www.findbrianshaffer.com The 1387 address is completely made up by me just to get the walking route close. On the far left is the Olentangy River.

http://www.findbrianshaffer.com also lists an important detail regarding Brian's clothing: Olive green polo short-sleeved shirt with a white long sleeve shirt under it" - The polo could've been taken off, and he may have only been wearing the white shirt. Maybe purposely, maybe because someone spilled something on it?

For those questioning surveillance tape quality/information, part of it can be seen here [video=youtube;T7O6S4w2qaE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7O6S4w2qaE[/video] starting at the 12:00 minute mark.

attachment.php

Thanks, Brady! I do wonder now then if he did take his shirt off for some reason (I think was still on at 1:55am though), left at some point, not finding his friends, then decided to walk home as it's only a 10-15 minute walk according to your map. Then maybe met with foul play on the way?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member