OH OH - Brian Shaffer, 27, Columbus, 1 April 2006 - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I still think the depression and escaping is very plausible. I've mentioned that my ex left me suddenly - out of nowhere when I thought we were fine. He had been really down about things and even thoughts of his problems with his dad. He even told me once he wanted to just get away for a while, but not forever. He's still here, but we're not together. He's a complete stranger and acts different. Idk, just a theory. His mom's death could have messed him up badly and he wanted to escape. But it seems maybe it would have been planned out more? I do know when you're depressed or more negative you're more prone to accidents because you're not as focused and so maybe he did have an accident on his way home?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, Brady! I do wonder now then if he did take his shirt off for some reason (I think was still on at 1:55am though), left at some point, not finding his friends, then decided to walk home as it's only a 10-15 minute walk according to your map. Then maybe met with foul play on the way?

His shirt could've been taken off for a number of reasons. To hide from cameras? Someone spilled something on it? Too hot in the bar? The security cameras were very bad quality as you can see in the video. Due to the poor quality of the surveillance cameras, if Brian had taken the polo off (even carrying it in his hand) and left as the bar closed with the masses, he could've easily slipped right down the elevator & not been identified during the footage review.

6. The police did find footage on Saturday morning of a tall white man leaving Ugly Tuna, followed by two black men. When they froze the frame and blew up the photo, however, Brian's friends and family did not think the image was of Brian.
I'd love to know if this individual was wearing a white shirt. When you blow up surveillance camera imagery, especially ones of this poor quality, images do not become more clear unless the cameras are very high resolution--very, very unlikely in 2006. CSI tv shows have people thinking you can take an extremely low resolution image and "enhance" it to see details. This simply isn't true.

Unlikely, but i have to ask if the stained glass beside the elevator are a facade, or actual windows, and if so, could one of them pop out and back in again?

If you look at the still image of where the escalator is, seems like there's lots of steps on the side and even another business you can walk over to, so how well did they scour those videos? I think they can have just easily missed him leaving.

Either way we look at it, whether he was killed, left on his own, suicide, whatever theory there is - this is so, so strange. Even all of the other strange disappearances caught on video, such as Lars Mittank.

I wonder if other nearby businesses cameras were checked (those businesses for blocks, not just surrounding the bar)?

After watching the video posted by Brady12 I started searching for a thread here for missing Lars Mittank and can't find one. What a strange case, does anyone know if we have a thread hiding out somewhere ? TIA

After watching the video posted by Brady12 I started searching for a thread here for missing Lars Mittank and can't find one. What a strange case, does anyone know if we have a thread hiding out somewhere ? TIA

Hastily started a thread for him..
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?328421-LARS-MITTANK-28-tourist-vanished-Varna-Airport-Bulgaria-July-14&p=13106898#post13106898
[h=2]LARS MITTANK, 28, tourist vanished,Varna Airport, Bulgaria, July /14[/h]

Unlikely, but i have to ask if the stained glass beside the elevator are a facade, or actual windows, and if so, could one of them pop out and back in again?
Not sure, but if you mean to suggest that he may have snuck out of one of them, I think that definitely would have caught someone's attention. Even on the video tape I think (even if they weren't sure it was him) they would focus on that if they saw someone doing that

I do know when you're depressed or more negative you're more prone to accidents because you're not as focused and so maybe he did have an accident on his way home?

I feel like if he had an accident then someone would have found him. It was a straight shoot from the bar to his block and it was a busy road so someone would surely see something.

I feel like if he had an accident then someone would have found him. It was a straight shoot from the bar to his block and it was a busy road so someone would surely see something.

Hit by a car and person freaked out? I know that a local case regarding a missing little girl, people spoke out that they know someone hit her and panicked and took her.

Hit by a car and person freaked out? I know that a local case regarding a missing little girl, people spoke out that they know someone hit her and panicked and took her.

I mean I suppose it's possible, but again this was a Friday night/early Saturday on a busy road. Nobody would notice a 6 ft 2 man being hit by a car (or hear it?) and then someone shoving him in their car and driving away? I just can't see that being likely. Not to mention that person could have potentially faced a MUCH worse punishment for concealing a body than they would for accidentally hitting him.

I mean I suppose it's possible, but again this was a Friday night/early Saturday on a busy road. Nobody would notice a 6 ft 2 man being hit by a car (or hear it?) and then someone shoving him in their car and driving away? I just can't see that being likely. Not to mention that person could have potentially faced a MUCH worse punishment for concealing a body than they would for accidentally hitting him.

Yet, he disappeared completely too. And wasn't seen by people on cameras either! And no one seems to have a clue where he went.

I've decided one has to start out from assumption that he Brian didn't walk out of the building that night. Often it is legitimate to be skeptical of the work done in an official investigation. But in this case, the original investigators, who are closest to the facts and have the best information (including the video footage) have expressed such a degree of confidence in their scrutiny of the CCTV, I don't think there's any justification to second guess them. I get the impression the detectives sat in front of the video footage and scrupulously recorded the comings-and-goings, and for every entry in the left-hand column (meaning somebody entered the Tuna) they ended up with a corresponding entry in the right-hand column (the person left the Tuna), except for one entry: Brian himself. And evidently they involved Brian's family and friends to the extent that there were any uncertainties. Errors are definitely possible, but the original investigators would have been just as aware of that possibility as anybody analyzing the case today, so without some compelling new reason, there's no logical basis for doubting their work. I was thinking this especially when it comes to possibilities like that he took off the polo shirt he had on over his white tee shirt (discussed above in this thread). That's obviously a possibility, but it's just not the kind of thing the original investigators would have overlooked. I think it's practically certain that if a person was on the video footage, who fit Brian's description except for the fact that he was wearing a white long-sleeve t-shirt rather than a short-sleeve green polo over top of the same kind of tee-shirt, then it would have occurred to the original investigators that it might be Brian himself, having removed the top-layer shirt...

I wonder if the videos are available online somewhere.

Sent from my VS810PP using Tapatalk

I've decided one has to start out from assumption that he Brian didn't walk out of the building that night. Often it is legitimate to be skeptical of the work done in an official investigation. But in this case, the original investigators, who are closest to the facts and have the best information (including the video footage) have expressed such a degree of confidence in their scrutiny of the CCTV, I don't think there's any justification to second guess them. I get the impression the detectives sat in front of the video footage and scrupulously recorded the comings-and-goings, and for every entry in the left-hand column (meaning somebody entered the Tuna) they ended up with a corresponding entry in the right-hand column (the person left the Tuna), except for one entry: Brian himself. And evidently they involved Brian's family and friends to the extent that there were any uncertainties. Errors are definitely possible, but the original investigators would have been just as aware of that possibility as anybody analyzing the case today, so without some compelling new reason, there's no logical basis for doubting their work. I was thinking this especially when it comes to possibilities like that he took off the polo shirt he had on over his white tee shirt (discussed above in this thread). That's obviously a possibility, but it's just not the kind of thing the original investigators would have overlooked. I think it's practically certain that if a person was on the video footage, who fit Brian's description except for the fact that he was wearing a white long-sleeve t-shirt rather than a short-sleeve green polo over top of the same kind of tee-shirt, then it would have occurred to the original investigators that it might be Brian himself, having removed the top-layer shirt...

I agree. He went out another exit by will or by force. There's a small possibility that one of the cameras that panned somehow missed him...but that would be a big coincidence.

Perhaps he passed out in a corner or a bathroom and went unnoticed until the next morning. Adverse publicity, or fear of losing a liquor license. might have led to someone just disposing of his body.

Has every nook and cranny of the Tuna been investigated by LE?

Including shafts, cellar area, closets, etc?

I am inclined to think something may have happened to him in the Tuna when he went back inside and his body never left.

MOO

Has every nook and cranny of the Tuna been investigated by LE?

Including shafts, cellar area, closets, etc?

I am inclined to think something may have happened to him in the Tuna when he went back inside and his body never left.

MOO
I would think that eventually there would be a strong smell of decaying body if it was stashed somewhere there. Cadaver dogs were brought in a couple days after his disappearance and they couldn't pick up anything so I feel like his body was moved

I'm going to stand by my assumption that whatever happened to Brian (provided he didn't just run away) happened at a different location than the bar. That whole area just simply has too many witnesses for nobody to notice anything extreme that might have occurred. I still think he managed to leave the bar and got into a car where God knows what happened next.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CP95