OH OH - Brian Shaffer, 27, Columbus, 1 April 2006 - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't figure out how to embed the video into this post, but if you watch the dateline video again of the surveillance footage, I noticed something interesting that I didn't see before. If you go to the 3:20 mark, it shows the first video of Brian and the other 2 going up the escalator. Look at the 2 guys going towards the down escalator. The man with the black hoodie goes down, but the guy behind him starts to head that way, but sees Brian and turns around to go back into the bar. I believe the guy that did this turn around is the same guy who is seen later standing next to Brian and looking at him and security in the second set of footage.
So to add to my post from before with time marks:

3:20 Footage shows guy heading towards down escalator to follow his friend, but sees Brian going up and turns around.

3:32 The same guy (I think?) is now standing next to Brian as he talks to the 2 girls. He looks over at Brian and when Brian goes back inside he tries to grab/smack the escalator rail (maybe a signal or just trying to get friend's attention?) Btw, I can't tell if his friend standing close to the escalator is the same guy in the black hoodie seen going down before. He looks similar, but I don't see why he'd swap clothes.

5:03 The same guy again now looks at security after Brian goes back in, then looks into the bar in the same direction that Brian walked in.

I can't say 100% that this guy is the same guy that did the turn around in the footage of Brian and the others going up the escalator to enter the bar, but it looks like he's wearing the same shirt- grey/brown with a white long sleeve underneath.

If it's all the same guy, he sure seemed interested in keeping visuals on Brian. I wonder who he is and who his friends were that he was with

AGAIN, HERE IS THE VIDEO: http://www.nbcnews.com/id/12689476/ns/dateline_nbc/t/thin-air/#.WKEtaxIrIb1

I consider recreational drugs a possibility. If Clint knew Brian had used something or was looking to use some, though, he could easily say that at this point. It's well past the point that Clint's own drug use could be proven.

Plus the statute of limitations has to have passed, right? http://research.lawyers.com/ohio/ohio-statutes-of-limitations.html

And if Clint thinks Brian left of his own accord, which Clint's lawyer has suggested, then why not say that too? The only reason I could see hiding it this long is if Brian's life depended on it.

I'm unclear on the part where you say "if Brian's life depended on it". Could you clarify that ? TIA

Also according to the timeline, Brian was seen talking to the two women at 1:55am. The bar closed at 2:00 am. So were the two women the people Clint and Meredith are referring to when he went off on his own to talk to other people? That's only five minutes, leaves virtually no time for anything else, so it seems to be the case, imo. If so, would it not stand to reason that these two women were the last to see Brian, as far as the information we have ?
Last call for drinks is 2 AM. The bar is open until 2:30 for patrons to finish those drinks.

I'm unclear on the part where you say "if Brian's life depended on it". Could you clarify that ? TIA

Some have suggested Brian could've been fleeing a drug dealer or joined witness protection etc. Seems highly unlikely. But it would mean Clint is staying quiet to protect him.

I can't figure out how to embed the video into this post, but if you watch the dateline video again of the surveillance footage, I noticed something interesting that I didn't see before. If you go to the 3:20 mark, it shows the first video of Brian and the other 2 going up the escalator. Look at the 2 guys going towards the down escalator. The man with the black hoodie goes down, but the guy behind him starts to head that way, but sees Brian and turns around to go back into the bar. I believe the guy that did this turn around is the same guy who is seen later standing next to Brian and looking at him and security in the second set of footage.
So to add to my post from before with time marks:

3:20 Footage shows guy heading towards down escalator to follow his friend, but sees Brian going up and turns around.

3:32 The same guy (I think?) is now standing next to Brian as he talks to the 2 girls. He looks over at Brian and when Brian goes back inside he tries to grab/smack the escalator rail (maybe a signal or just trying to get friend's attention?) Btw, I can't tell if his friend standing close to the escalator is the same guy in the black hoodie seen going down before. He looks similar, but I don't see why he'd swap clothes.

5:03 The same guy again now looks at security after Brian goes back in, then looks into the bar in the same direction that Brian walked in.

I can't say 100% that this guy is the same guy that did the turn around in the footage of Brian and the others going up the escalator to enter the bar, but it looks like he's wearing the same shirt- grey/brown with a white long sleeve underneath.

If it's all the same guy, he sure seemed interested in keeping visuals on Brian. I wonder who he is and who his friends were that he was with

AGAIN, HERE IS THE VIDEO: http://www.nbcnews.com/id/12689476/ns/dateline_nbc/t/thin-air/#.WKEtaxIrIb1

Matthew, you could call that info in to the tip line in case it is relevant. It seems like it'd be hard to track them down 10 years later to ask questions, but impossible things do happen. 1-877-645-TIPS (8477)

I'm new to this case, so somebody may have already suggested this, but I haven't seen it: maybe Brian had a secret bank account that he used to help him start a new life. Or maybe he stole somebody's identity.

I have no evidence to back up either of these possibilities, and even if one of these things happened, there are still a lot of questions that would remain unanswered.

Matthew, you could call that info in to the tip line in case it is relevant. It seems like it'd be hard to track them down 10 years later to ask questions, but impossible things do happen. 1-877-645-TIPS (8477)

No offence but some of these are basic observations and I'm sure the investigators made a note of them, not that I think there's anything particularly suspicious in this footage. I'm not even sure if it's the same guy, and if it was it looks like someone calls him back to the bar, rather than him espying Brian. And as for him turning to look at Brian, he simply turned around to see what was going on behind him. Maybe something Brian said caught his attention, whatever, hardly anything out of the ordinary.

Also, it's funny that Brian's tattoo is of the artwork from Pearl Jam's "Alive" and everybody is wondering whether Brian is alive or not. Obviously, this isn't a critical piece of evidence or anything...it's just a strange coincidence

Also, it's funny that Brian's tattoo is of the artwork from Pearl Jam's "Alive" and everybody is wondering whether Brian is alive or not. Obviously, this isn't a critical piece of evidence or anything...it's just a strange coincidence

Welcome to Ws rachelcanteatcheese, had missed that small, but interesting detail about the tattoo, thanks!

That is interesting... I wonder when he got the tattoo, anyone know ?

That is interesting... I wonder when he got the tattoo, anyone know ?
If you look at his Facebook, he has old photos with some of them time stamped with the date. There's a picture of him from Feb. 2002 with the tattoo, so he's at it since at least then. I think it's just a really eerie coincidence.

No offence but some of these are basic observations and I'm sure the investigators made a note of them, not that I think there's anything particularly suspicious in this footage. I'm not even sure if it's the same guy, and if it was it looks like someone calls him back to the bar, rather than him espying Brian. And as for him turning to look at Brian, he simply turned around to see what was going on behind him. Maybe something Brian said caught his attention, whatever, hardly anything out of the ordinary.

Oh for sure. Totally agree. But when someone's family member is lost, dead, or in a threatening position, I don't think it ever hurts to mention an observation to LE...on the off chance it turns them on to something new.

In a few weeks it'll be 11 years with no newer answers than when it first started. Sad :(

Has it ever been established exactly how many exits and elevators were in the bar at the time Shaffer went missing? Every time i read something about it there are different people saying different things. People who are from the area and have been inside the bar a few times say apart from the main exit that was checked by cameras there is no other way he could have left. It also says something similar on Youtube video about this case. But then how are stock deliveries etc to the bar made? They come through the main entrance/exit also? Staff don't have a separate entrance/exit for cigarette breaks etc?

Also, where did the "he said he was going off to talk to the band" come from? At first i read it came from his friend but in that Dateline video where the friend is briefly interviewed he says "Brian was doing his thing talking to those 2 girls" and he doesn't mention anything about going to see the band.

Has it ever been established exactly how many exits and elevators were in the bar at the time Shaffer went missing? Every time i read something about it there are different people saying different things. People who are from the area and have been inside the bar a few times say apart from the main exit that was checked by cameras there is no other way he could have left. It also says something similar on Youtube video about this case. But then how are stock deliveries etc to the bar made? They come through the main entrance/exit also? Staff don't have a separate entrance/exit for cigarette breaks etc?

Also, where did the "he said he was going off to talk to the band" come from? At first i read it came from his friend but in that Dateline video where the friend is briefly interviewed he says "Brian was doing his thing talking to those 2 girls" and he doesn't mention anything about going to see the band.
From my understanding, I believe there 3 exits: the main one on the first floor for patrons, a service exit (the one from the video that has the camera pan in on whoever opens it) which I believe was also on the first floor?, and the construction exit that was supposedly chained up.

Regarding the 'talking to the band' story, Brian was supposed to have said that after 1:55 am when he seen talking to those girls. He says goodbye to them, walks back in the bar and from there (around 2 am) he told Clint he was going to talk to the band when Clint told him he was getting ready to leave. Supposedly Clint and Meredith waited til about 2:10 to start looking for him and then eventually leaving him. Don't forget that this is strictly according to Meredith and Clint. For all we know Brian may never have actually said this at all; the band doesn't remember him and no idea who he was. We only have Clint and Meredith's story to go on. I know Meredith passed a poly test, but that could maybe because Clint had told her that Brian said he was talking to the band, so for all she knew that's what happened and she believed herself to be telling the truth.

I still think he was set up by the man associated with the two women. The man may have had connections with an employee or knew the exit that doesn't have cameras. This is a common robbery ploy at clubs.

I still think he was set up by the man associated with the two women. The man may have had connections with an employee or knew the exit that doesn't have cameras. This is a common robbery ploy at clubs.
Could be, but the problem is without knowing anything, we can't come up with a motive. I believe that if someone did intentionally kill Brian, then it was personal. His cards/phone were supposedly never used and he didn't carry cash. Whoever hurt Brian probably just wanted him out of the way and didn't care about robbing him. The two girls were questioned, but it was never revealed to the public what they were talking about. They said that neither of them were asked to take Polygraphs

Don't forget that this is strictly according to Meredith and Clint. For all we know Brian may never have actually said this at all; the band doesn't remember him and no idea who he was. We only have Clint and Meredith's story to go on. I know Meredith passed a poly test, but that could maybe because Clint had told her that Brian said he was talking to the band, so for all she knew that's what happened and she believed herself to be telling the truth.

My thinking is along the same lines. I mean if what Clint says is true and he really did go and speak to the band then how could they have no knowledge of him whatsoever? It's not like the band members are going to be staggering drunk after playing a gig and unable to remember something so close to the end of the night. Even if he chatted to them for less than 5 minutes it was so close to closing time you'd definitely remember the guys face at least. Of course he could have said he was going over to chat to them but then got distracted or diverted by someone/something so never made it across to them and headed out of the service exit or something.

You'd also assume that if he did go chat to them , as he didn't know any of them personally, that it was to ask them something specific about their music or about where they'd be playing next or something. I doubt this band is super famous and has hundreds of groupies and fans approaching them for idle chat and autographs etc all night. I just don't see how they could not remember him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CP95