OH OH - Brian Shaffer, 27, Columbus, 1 April 2006 - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The only thing I can't figure is IF he did leave and started a new life, how he arranged it or found a network of people with no trace of it on his phone or computer records. For this to be successful, it would surely take a decent amount of planning

attachment.php
Just wanted to share an interesting picture I found from Brian's FB. I guess he gave this bear to his mom for Christmas. "Home is where your mom is". I think it's kind of telling in a way. Maybe he truly didn't feel at home without his mother there. Adds to the running away theory. Just a thought

Attachments

• 1909441_567878459975_8130_n.jpg
    1909441_567878459975_8130_n.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 173
Very interesting. Something just doesn't make sense about all of this. Obviously. No wonder they haven't solved it yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm new to this case. From his body language in the video with the two girls, he looks nervous/anxious to me. Was the movie theater open yet, or was that where they were doing the construction?

I'm new to this case. From his body language in the video with the two girls, he looks nervous/anxious to me. Was the movie theater open yet, or was that where they were doing the construction?
it could be because he was drunk as well. Though nobody knows for sure just HOW drunk he actually was. The movie theatre was open, the construction was for something else.

Brian Schaeffer's case reminds me a little of this one.
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/historic/31418414.html
A man last seen at a bar just disappeared without a trace. Turns out he never left the bar. In this case he was found over a year later. Sealed inside a wall that had been open for construction at the time.

Since there was construction in or near the building where Brian was last seen, it makes me wonder if something similar happened. Could he be sealed up inside a wall now? Or encased in a concrete foundation? I don't mean to sound insensitive, but such a thing has happened, as the link I provided shows.

The only thing I can't figure is IF he did leave and started a new life, how he arranged it or found a network of people with no trace of it on his phone or computer records. For this to be successful, it would surely take a decent amount of planning

Agreed. It'd be really difficult.

If you already had someone who was willing to harbor you (a relative, an ex etc.), that might give you a leg up because you'd have a place to stay while you work out the rest of the details.

You'd definitely be opting for a simpler life and acting in faith that it would work out.

attachment.php
Just wanted to share an interesting picture I found from Brian's FB. I guess he gave this bear to his mom for Christmas. "Home is where your mom is". I think it's kind of telling in a way. Maybe he truly didn't feel at home without his mother there. Adds to the running away theory. Just a thought

Totally possible. I feel like his dad cared so much about him, and seemed like the kind of man who said so, so it's hard for me to fully buy into that route. But I'm not ruling it out, especially under the circumstances when family may have felt unstable and disrupted.

A man last seen at a bar just disappeared without a trace. Turns out he never left the bar. In this case he was found over a year later. Sealed inside a wall that had been open for construction at the time.

Since there was construction in or near the building where Brian was last seen, it makes me wonder if something similar happened. Could he be sealed up inside a wall now? Or encased in a concrete foundation? I don't mean to sound insensitive, but such a thing has happened, as the link I provided shows.

That is good possibility, also people have been found stuck in chimneys years after they first went missing.
http://abcnews.go.com/US/skeleton-found-chimney-27-years-man-disappeared/story?id=14169501
Man Found Dead in Chimney After 27 Years ... The remains of Joseph Schexnider, missing for 27 years, were finally discovered .

[h=1]Body of 18-year-old missing for SEVEN years found in the chimney of an abandoned cabin less than one mile from his house[/h]

Oh, wow. I wondered that at one point. I think they should at least check. I've heard of people that get buried in construction sites outside too, like new highways and stuff. So sad.

Oh, wow. I wondered that at one point. I think they should at least check. I've heard of people that get buried in construction sites outside too, like new highways and stuff. So sad.

They checked with cadaver dogs a couple days after...and several times after that too. Still possible, but not as likely then maybe.

They checked with cadaver dogs a couple days after...and several times after that too. Still possible, but not as likely then maybe.
That's why I still hold to the theory that Brian entered a car after exiting the bar. If the dogs couldn't pick up a scent then I suspect whatever happened to him happened further away

That's why I still hold to the theory that Brian entered a car after exiting the bar. If the dogs couldn't pick up a scent then I suspect whatever happened to him happened further away

Good point. I almost wonder if this was his plan the whole time. Maybe he knew someone at the bar who he spoke to, to get him out of there without showing details of where he went (hiding from the cameras). Then on the flip side, I feel would he have even thought that deeply into it or even thought of cameras at all? So then that makes me think, maybe it was foul play. But, then I bounce back again to him leaving on his own, because of what he said in the days and weeks leading up to it. Sigh.

Another thing I can't figure if he was trying to leave town is why he would invite his brother Derek? Ditching friends is one thing, but surely his brother wouldn't have left without finding him first. That would have thrown a big wrench in his plans if Derek had been there.

Maybe he knew someone at the bar who he spoke to, to get him out of there without showing details of where he went (hiding from the cameras). Then on the flip side, I feel would he have even thought that deeply into it or even thought of cameras at all?

Like I said earlier, I think the cameras are given too much consideration in this case. I suspect he might have just simply left out the construction exit and didn't really give a thought about the cameras. If anything I'd say he was avoiding specific people rather than the cameras. Though it is likely, as you said, that if it was foul play then whoever hurt him was thinking more about the camera than he was

Like I said earlier, I think the cameras are given too much consideration in this case. I suspect he might have just simply left out the construction exit and didn't really give a thought about the cameras. If anything I'd say he was avoiding specific people rather than the cameras. Though it is likely, as you said, that if it was foul play then whoever hurt him was thinking more about the camera than he was

I agree. I think the camera angle just sticks in our minds because what are the odds that only 1 person doesn't show up on camera...everyone else is accounted for...and THEN that one person goes missing?

I agree. I think the camera angle just sticks in our minds because what are the odds that only 1 person doesn't show up on camera...everyone else is accounted for...and THEN that one person goes missing?

Stranger things have happened.

To disappear and start a new life with no trace or to commit suicide in such a way your body is not found both would require such a level of pre-planning it's hard to believe no trace of that was left behind, at least of the planning process.

To disappear and start a new life with no trace or to commit suicide in such a way your body is not found both would require such a level of pre-planning it's hard to believe no trace of that was left behind, at least of the planning process.
yup, which leads me to believe that somebody hid him post-mortem. I like to entertain the idea that he is alive and living somewhere, but deep down I really don't see how it's possible.

I keep trying to come up with how one or more persons could have gotten Brian out of the bar undetected by the cameras if there was foul play involved, or an unintentional overdose. If there had been a physical altercation of sorts it seems it would have caught someone's attention. Could he have still been inside the bar when it closed? Could someone inside the bar have manipulated the cameras? Could he have been hidden somewhere inside for a while and then moved?

Or were Clint and Meredith involved thus their stories fabricated? I can see Clint but not so sure Meredith. Well, maybe if they were doing illegal substrances and Brian had some sort of reaction or overdose. But then it's hard to imagine everyone around going along with a cover up including bar and restaurant staff and band members and any customers there.

Or, had he previously scoped the place out himself and realized the construction area and exit had no cameras, then planned his own voluntary exit ? According to his two friends, they looked around for him, sure seems like they'd noticed if some sort of scuffle or incident was going on. IIRC, it was close to closing time when Brian walked away, leaving a small window of time for any kind of altercation to happen.

Unless the cameras just missed him and something happened after he left. Mysterious. I remember reading about the detective that worked Brian's case, he said the only way Brian could have gotten out unseen was if he went out a second floor window, (paraphrased). He said everywhere he goes he looks for Brian's face. I can imagine how he feels.

ETA: I can't find that article now, but in this one the detective indicates the chances of Brian walking away are greater than the chance of foul play or suicide. Also, his GF, Alexis states that looking back, she finds it odd that Brian told her a few days before that she should move on and find someone else, and two weeks before that that they should just run away together (paraphrased).

http://www.dispatch.com/content/sto...-years-later-brian-shaffer-still-missing.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CP95