OH OH - Brian Shaffer, 27, Columbus, 1 April 2006 - #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wanted to drop in and say that this bar none has been the best discussion on this case that I’ve seen anywhere, these threads have made me think and consider possibilities I never would have otherwise.

Many of us I think have a case that gets us into this and gives us our passion for it. This one is mine. I’ve spent 11 years thinking about this case and have no real theory. I believe Mr. Florence is the key that unlocks the door. Whether or not he knows everything, or enough...who knows. But it’s pretty clear he knows something of substance. Thus in a cold case, he’s the one lead that’s out there. Minus him giving up something or some remarkable piece of luck this case is destined to remain spinning in circles.

I wanted to drop in and say that this bar none has been the best discussion on this case that I’ve seen anywhere, these threads have made me think and consider possibilities I never would have otherwise.

Many of us I think have a case that gets us into this and gives us our passion for it. This one is mine. I’ve spent 11 years thinking about this case and have no real theory. I believe Mr. Florence is the key that unlocks the door. Whether or not he knows everything, or enough...who knows. But it’s pretty clear he knows something of substance. Thus in a cold case, he’s the one lead that’s out there. Minus him giving up something or some remarkable piece of luck this case is destined to remain spinning in circles.
Welcome to Ws adb1025, nice to have you here!

Sgt. Hurst suggests that Brian entered the construction area. He says that it would have been difficult to navigate sober, much less drunk. Brian was never seen exiting the building, and was never again seen outside the building, and there was never again any sign of life after early morn 4/1/06 (Brian very likely died that morning, IMO). Yet Sgt. Hurst suggests that Brian 'got exited out of' the construction area! There is no evidence of that. He must believe that because their searches of the construction area came up empty. But maybe their searches came up empty because they simply missed finding Brian's remains.

I can think of several areas I would focus on if I were to search the building:
1) The Gateway Theatre space and the UST space are under very different roofs, as aerials show. I'm guessing the building housing UST was there first, and the theatre is in an addition to the UST building. I'd search the length of the area where the two buildings meet.
2) The construction area was 'completely dug up' on the early morn of 4/1/06. Some of those dug up areas may have been filled in by the time the building was searched. Perhaps even paved over. Any areas that had been in a 'dug up' state the morn of 4/1/06 should have been, and still should be, a focal point.
3) I'd also focus on the area around and/or under the kitchen area in the space occupied by Gateway, including HVAC, where the awful stench had been reported in 2006/2007.

Yes, a fresh search with a fresh perspective. Don't even bring in or consult the original searchers. Start with clean slate. Bring in a few experienced guys who inspect buildings for a living. Have them consult with one or more guys who were working for Turner Construction and/or subcontractor on the job in 2006, who can say what was where in the construction area on 4/1/06.

My critique of LE in this case is the same shared by many,

They did not spend enough time seeking out the unusual elements of the case. I believe that the construction area was not searched as efficiently as it should have been. A new start and search would be great for that area. As well as let's grant Clint immunity so that he can talk about that night. Than he will (to paraphrase from an above cost.) give us the key that unlocks the door that's been locked for twelve years.

Satch

I find this case interesting because I can't decide on a theory. I think a gpr search or other of the construction area is certainly worth a look, but I'm still suspicious of CF. It was said earlier in the post that there is no evidence that Brian left the building that night (which may be), but I've heard that that it's possible that Brian could have exited the construction area without any kind of surveillance. He certainly could have stumbled around in the c/a and hurt himself etc, but unless he wedged himself into a wall, it seems unlikely he would have just been buried without being noticed. Det Hurst says he 'got exited out of' the c/a. Perhaps there is information that leads him in that direction that has not been disclosed. I think CPD was less than perfect here, but usually law enforcement knows quite a bit more than they tell the public.

Per the podcast, the police did a forensic search of Brian's car, Meredith's car and CF's car, as well as the house CF stayed in the night of the disappearance. Per the podcast, CF had not talked with Brian at all two months prior to the April 1st outing. Per the podcast, there was friction between CF and Brain regarding Clint's behavior toward Brian's girlfriend. And we know CF wanted 'immunity' before any further interviews with police. I guess I do have a theory after all! JM.02

A 'PS' looking4brian: Great job on the podcast, I think it could prove very important! But could you please put a posting date on the episodes? Thanks....

I find this case interesting because I can't decide on a theory. I think a gpr search or other of the construction area is certainly worth a look, but I'm still suspicious of CF. It was said earlier in the post that there is no evidence that Brian left the building that night (which may be), but I've heard that that it's possible that Brian could have exited the construction area without any kind of surveillance. He certainly could have stumbled around in the c/a and hurt himself etc, but unless he wedged himself into a wall, it seems unlikely he would have just been buried without being noticed. Det Hurst says he 'got exited out of' the c/a. Perhaps there is information that leads him in that direction that has not been disclosed. I think CPD was less than perfect here, but usually law enforcement knows quite a bit more than they tell the public.

Per the podcast, the police did a forensic search of Brian's car, Meredith's car and CF's car, as well as the house CF stayed in the night of the disappearance. Per the podcast, CF had not talked with Brian at all two months prior to the April 1st outing. Per the podcast, there was friction between CF and Brain regarding Clint's behavior toward Brian's girlfriend. And we know CF wanted 'immunity' before any further interviews with police. I guess I do have a theory after all! JM.02

A 'PS' looking4brian: Great job on the podcast, I think it could prove very important! But could you please put a posting date on the episodes? Thanks....

Snowleopard, the notion that Clint Florence sought legal immunity sounds like a total fiction to me. And a slander. This kind of crap is why it makes good sense for people to go silent and put an attorney between themselves and LE and the media. Clint should have done it sooner.
Immunity simply means a person is shielded or exempted from legal action. A prosecutor can grant immunity from prosecution in exchange for his or her testimony. There was no prosecution in this case. No prosecutor. No legal action, no criminal charge. No known crime - some people actually believe Brian is still alive. Others, like me, think he died in an an accident.

Can anyone provide bona fide evidence that Clint's attorney sought immunity for Clint? I think not.

Clint seeking immunity was already denied by Sgt Hurst. Clint had an aliby in Meredith (they were house sitting together) until the next morning. Meredith took and passed a lie detector test. Unless Meredith is a really good liar, Clint is only involved if 1. Brian told him he was taking off and Clint didn't tell anyone OR 2. Brian somehow made it home that night without anyone seeing him and Clint confronted him the next day. Both scenarios seem unlikely to me.

Clint seeking immunity was already denied by Sgt Hurst. Clint had an aliby in Meredith (they were house sitting together) until the next morning. Meredith took and passed a lie detector test. Unless Meredith is a really good liar, Clint is only involved if 1. Brian told him he was taking off and Clint didn't tell anyone OR 2. Brian somehow made it home that night without anyone seeing him and Clint confronted him the next day. Both scenarios seem unlikely to me.

Yeah, Clint - aside from the fact the he had no reason to kill Brian - had a solid alibi in that he was with Meredith till sometime the next morn. Brian goes radio silent at 2am for 12 years and running. His phone was not used after 2am that morn. Didn't seem to leave the building. Not seen outside in person or on cam. Seems not to have returned to apt. or touched car. Lead det. suggests that Brian was in the completely dug up construction area that early morn. Yet, some folks still try to find a way to tie Clint to Brian's disappearance.

Okay guys we are currently working on the Q&A segment for the new episode we are working on. You all ask some very good questions and would love to get them answered for you. If you have social media and would like your question answered please please reply to our Facebook thread so I can keep track of all of them. The link is attached. https://www.facebook.com/FindBrianShaffer/posts/606284606400773

I'm thinking more along the lines of #2. I don't really think Clint deliberately killed Brian, but perhaps there was conflict and an accident. But I need to find where the 'immunity' comment came from.

Pic showing entrance to construction area. When Brian was last seen on vid, he was mere feet from this entrance and was headed toward it:
ccc.png

Was there a Disappeared episode on Brian's case? I could have sworn that's where I first heard of it, but I can't find a reference to it.

Looking4Brian,

Do you have any idea what Don C meant about friction between Brian and his dad, and Brian disagreeing with his lifestyle. I’m rather puzzled by that.

Also, you mentioned sharing the photos here. Any idea when that might be?

Great interview, btw. Really appreciate what you guys are doing.

Did I understand Don correctly , did he say that the only thing he found that might lead him to believe Brian could be alive was the box of stuff found in his friends basement? I found what he was saying a little confusing, maybe I misunderstood his meaning.

Maybe I need to listen again without interruptions.

Pic showing entrance to construction area. When Brian was last seen on vid, he was mere feet from this entrance and was headed toward it:
attachment.php

Gotta disagree with you on this, I have stood exactly where Brian was standing. Brian was standing just a few feet from the down escalator. The distance to the construction doors and the Tuna door are so close that they would have to be measured to know for sure. The both are at different angles to each other, but measured in feet I would say he was a little bit closer to the Tuna entrance. There is no way of knowing if Brian went one way or another. He was prevented from walking in a straight line to the door by two people in his way. So he could have walked around them and headed straight into the bar. This is a picture of those doors taken about a month after he went missing. This was shown on either E-News or Dateline.

attachment.php

Attachments

• briandoors.jpeg
    briandoors.jpeg
    27.9 KB · Views: 114
Doing the best I could with marking and also keep in mind the outer edges of the camera curve due to the lens. The first X is the blonde hair guy, His right foot is actually on the escalator foot plate. His friend is the second X. Brian is the 3rd X. Brian is pretty much in-line with the police officers. The one officer is leaning on the second hand rial from the left. Brian is standing right on or right behind the 3rd orange stripe on the floor from the top of the stairs.

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• Inkedbrianlastimage_LI.jpg
    Inkedbrianlastimage_LI.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 149
  • brianlastscene.jpg
    brianlastscene.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 151
Embufum, that's some quality sleuthing right there! My point was to show the proximity and visibility of the entrance to the construction area to Brian as he stands there on video, looking straight in the direction of the entrance to the construction area. Sgt. Hurst has suggested that Brian entered the construction area. I believe him. Sgt. Hurst has also suggested that Brian then 'got exited out of' the construction area. That I would doubt.

Gotta disagree with you on this, I have stood exactly where Brian was standing. Brian was standing just a few feet from the down escalator. The distance to the construction doors and the Tuna door are so close that they would have to be measured to know for sure. The both are at different angles to each other, but measured in feet I would say he was a little bit closer to the Tuna entrance. There is no way of knowing if Brian went one way or another. He was prevented from walking in a straight line to the door by two people in his way. So he could have walked around them and headed straight into the bar. This is a picture of those doors taken about a month after he went missing. This was shown on either E-News or Dateline.

attachment.php

But wasn't it confirmed by both Clint and Meredith, AND LE that Brian went back into the bar? And if Brian went back into the bar, WHY can't we see that footage?! It's like they have no other views after the crop off with the horrible camera shot. If there was not some kind of cover up involved, we should be able to see more footage of where Brian went. I really don't see any other explanation. That video has to be altered. The big question is WHY?

Satch

That's some quality sleuthing right there! My point was to show the proximity and visibility of the entrance to the construction area to Brian as he stands there on video, looking straight in the direction of the entrance to the construction area. Sgt. Hurst has suggested that Brian entered the construction area. I believe him. Sgt. Hurst has also suggested that Brian 'got exited out of' the construction area. That I would doubt.

I have never heard of grammar or a sentence like that "Got exited out of the construction area." If that made any sense this would imply to me "Was taken by force out of the construction area." Why wouldn't Detective Hurst just say, "Brian exited out of the construction area?" Or how about "Brian entered the construction area?"

Satch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member