UT UT - Howard Stone, 64, went hiking, Goblin Valley State Park, 10 Aug 2024

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

mlhenn

Reaction score

Stone traveled to Emery County on Saturday to golf at Millsite Golf Club in Ferron and decided to hike Little Wild Horse Canyon after golfing, said Emery County Sheriff Tyson Huntington.

On Sunday, Stone's son called the police and said he hadn't heard from his dad and couldn't get ahold of him through the phone.

Howard Stone, 64, went hiking up the narrow slot canyon near Goblin Valley State Park early Saturday.

Huntington noted Stone's car was found at the trailhead.

Emery County Search and Rescue, the Department of Public Safety with their helicopter, and Goblin Valley personnel have assisted in the search. Still, as of Tuesday, Stone has yet to be found.

On Tuesday, a flash flood warning was issued for Zion National Park, closing The Narrows and all slot canyons.

You can see Ferron (where his golf course was at) on this google map. The slot canyon runs south/southeast of there. Google Maps (to help find it, Ferron is southeast from Provo). He went missing AFTER golfing Saturday so likely not super early in the day. He was reported missing on Sunday by his son. Radar data does show some heavy precip north/northwest of Provo (the thunderstorm cell is red on the map) at 2050 on Saturday (10th) afternoon, which could have triggered flash flooding. (NOTE: time on the NOAA site is in Coordinated Universal Time. for example in Chicago right now it's 8:55 am, the radar map for right now would show 1355) So 2050 on the 10th would be after 2 in the afternoon if I calculated that properly (not fully caffeinated yet) Radar Data

No mention of wife in all the articles or the interview with son, despite all the happy Pictures. Wonder if they were separated.

No mention of wife in all the articles or the interview with son, despite all the happy Pictures. Wonder if they were separated.

(Brandon is his son)
Stone told Brandon that he was going down to Emery County to play a round of golf, before hiking Little Wildhorse Canyon.

Brandon says he sent his dad a text at 3 p.m. on Saturday and never heard back.

"I contacted the sheriff's office Sunday morning after confirming with my sisters that nobody had talked to him," Brandon said.

Brandon described his dad as someone who loves his family. Howard has four children and 12 grandchildren.

This is so difficult for everyone, including the searchers who were impeded by further flooding after he was reported missing. Flash floods in those slot canyons rarely have a good outcome. I hope he was watching the weather and alerts and got to higher ground but the number of days that have gone by is not good. Prayers for his family.

The search for a 64-year-old Spanish Fork man last seen hiking in a slot canyon near Goblin Valley is entering its second week.

KSL TV spoke Tuesday with the family of Howard Stone, who say they are not giving up on finding him.

His family suspects there was rain and minor flash flooding in the area on the day that he went missing. However, they don’t think the current was strong enough to carry him very far and they haven’t found any of his belongings.

Do we know if golfing and hiking the slot canyon happened on the same day? Or did he golf one day and hike the next day? Just wondering because does he drink while golfing? If his hike was the same day as golf, he might have started the hike dehydrated and the temps are warm. I cant find the high for last Saturday but it was a high of 95 degrees at Little Wild Horse Canyon today.

@AmandaSkis

He golfed and hiked Saturday

Snipped from OP....
Stone traveled to Emery County on Saturday to golf at Millsite Golf Club in Ferron and decided to hike Little Wild Horse Canyon after golfing, said Emery County Sheriff Tyson Huntington.

On Sunday, Stone's son called the police and said he hadn't heard from his dad and couldn't get ahold of him through the phone.

Last edited:

Aug 21

"We're all just so confused at this point because I just can't think under any circumstances what would have taken him off the path at all," said Church.

According to Huntington, no personal items have been located. One group of hikers reported they may have come across Howard and had a brief conversation.

"There was a young couple that mentioned they thought they may have seen him on the trail and spoke to him for a little bit, but that is the only any kind of information like that where people have seen him," said Huntington. "The trails, the literal trails that we think he could have gone down, we've been down numerous times by different people, different agencies and just haven't had any luck but there's just nothing that's really helping us at this point."

From same article

"We had guys all around the trailhead, into the river below the trailhead as much as they could and then we sent guys on foot and on dirt bikes above the trail itself," said Emery County Sheriff Tyson Huntington. "A lot of times people will climb up Little Wild Horse and miss the turn to take Bell Canyon back down and they just keep going so we sent motorcycles up there."

In the days that ensued, the Department of Public Safety helicopter, specialty K9's, Civil Air Patrol all combed the vast landscape looking for Howard.

Howard's family and friends have also joined in the search, including his daughter who flew in from out-of-state to join the search for four days.

"There was nothing with this that gave us evidence that led us down a certain path to look for him; it was just kind of everywhere at that point, so we just had everybody going everywhere looking in every little cranny they could find, up every canyon" said Sheriff Huntington. "We went in places that we didn't think he would have gone but at this point we really didn't have any leads."

There are plans to gather in a large group this upcoming weekend to conduct another search of the vast area to find any sign of Stone.

So many happy family photos. I really hope they will find him soon and safe

Those slot canyons can be very dangerous even without rain or flooding. I'm not up on the weather in southern Utah right now, but much of my family still lives in Northern Utah and there's been a lot of flooding going on even in those parts lately. I sure hope they find him soon. If the weather is bad, that's worse, but even good weather in those parts could be deadly for the heat.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VAres67
Back