OH OH - Brian Shaffer, 27, Columbus, 1 April 2006 - #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
My issues with the whole getting concrete put over him are 1). The area was searched multiple times not searched, dug/probed, construction workers interviewed as far as I know - just ran dogs through - dogs not reliable. If fresh concrete was noticed by anyone searching I theorize that Brian tumbled into a trench/hole with fill following him in and burying/immobilizing/suffocating him - thus, no concrete to see, just dirt everywhere, I’m sure it would have raised a red flag. Especially to Mr. Shaffer. If it were my family, I would raise holy hell to get it investigated and further looked into to. In the new podcast, it was stated that no one searching saw fresh concrete laid. Sgt Hurst spoke only of 'all dug up', no ref to fresh concrete (that I've heard), so concrete prolly poured post-dogs 2). If concrete was laid after the area was searched, the workers would likely know Brian was missing from the building. Yeah, missing, but not presumed dead. I'd posit that had they been convinced Brian was dead, the 'construction area' would have been searched with greater intensity. They would have had to not only accidentally pour it on him, but they would have had to accidentally pour it on him while knowing it was a possibility he was there. At the time, workers, if they'd heard about a missing guy, may not have had any reason to believe he may heave entered the construction area. Concrete may have been poured before people started thinking that perhaps Brian was dead, may have entered the contruction area, was not on vid leaving the building. I just find it hard to believe they would be that careless. Prolly not careless, just no reason at that time to have a hunch Brian may have been in there. Even today, most do not believe Brian was in there, so why would a worker back then?! 3). It makes sense to me that CPD was likely in contact with the construction company about what construction happened when, etc. You have way more faith in gubmint workers (such as cops) than I do. Construction may have even been halted early on in the investigation. 4). Completely dug up is very subjective. Not just dug up, but 'completely' dug up, and difficult to navigate, even sober. Dug up means piles/holes. It could mean simply dirt floors or it could mean hazardous conditions. It has been clarified that businesses were walking through the area to take out the trash, so I can’t see there being holes big enough for someone Brian’s size just to fall into. Likely some parts dug up, some parts not. Some tenants in sooner than others = some spaces further along than others. I’m not ruling the possibility out, but those issues give me pause. The most likely scenario in my mind is that he got in a car Why? Added complications, simplest theory is Brian never left the building in died in obviously suspect location - the easily accessed and very close by, treacherous construction area somewhere by the Wendys and was killed or died accidentally at a separate location Why did Brian's phone not ping from car? Did he turn it off? Why? Why no snitch, no body found? . The other person(s) involved disposed of any evidence at a site that has never been investigated. Their motive to kill Brian? I hope one day all of the answers come out. My hope, as unlikely as it seems, is that he is still alive somewhere. Me too, but hugely unlikely at this point.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. As a proponent of the 'Brian never made it out of the building and his remains are under the building to this day theory', I felt compelled to comment, and have interspersed my comments (in bold, above) amongst yours

Last edited:
I completely agree with you here.

If we wish to take Dt Hurst at his word ALL of the time (rather than just the parts that fit our theory!) then we can glean from what he has publicly stated-
A. Construction area was dug up, the entrance to it was fairly easily accessed (unlocked door), it was an elevator exit that was used by construction workers and other personnel, it was thoroughly searched and nothing was ever found that would indicate Brian entered/exited via that way, and that human searchers plus trained dogs had found nothing significant of Brian’s nor Brian himself.

B. Clint was apparently forthcoming with information given in the beginning and submitted to an interview. (Apparently it was Brian’s family that was given the cold shoulder by him!) and he lawyered up and refused to take a polygraph test (which most of us can agree was the smart thing to do).

C. There are TWO exits that were not immediately covered by cameras- the construction exit and the exit near/next to Wendy’s. (Correct me if I’m wrong here and the construction exit actually is picked up by motion detectors plus camera, etc...)

So by power of elimination it stands to reason that Brian did not leave via the ‘normal’ entrance/exit (as proven with CCTV footage), he most likely did not fall to his death via a construction exit that used an elevator to get to ground level and was ‘safe’ enough that not only did construction workers themselves manage to navigate safely but apparently other staff members of the Tuna as well. Also searching turned up no remains of Brian nor any of his belongings. Which leaves the Wendy’s exit that comes out into an alleyway. This is to me the most likely exit taken by Brian and the one where he more than likely ran into enough trouble that he never made it far enough to be seen on any other CCTV cameras in the area. Just who or what met him in that alleyway? And was he lured there or did he exit that way via his own volition???

I completely agree with you here.

If we wish to take Dt Hurst at his word ALL of the time (rather than just the parts that fit our theory!) then we can glean from what he has publicly stated-
A. Construction area was dug up, the entrance to it was fairly easily accessed (unlocked door), it was an elevator exit that was used by construction workers and other personnel, it was thoroughly searched and nothing was ever found that would indicate Brian entered/exited via that way, and that human searchers plus trained dogs had found nothing significant of Brian’s nor Brian himself.

B. Clint was apparently forthcoming with information given in the beginning and submitted to an interview. (Apparently it was Brian’s family that was given the cold shoulder by him!) and he lawyered up and refused to take a polygraph test (which most of us can agree was the smart thing to do).

C. There are TWO exits that were not immediately covered by cameras- the construction exit and the exit near/next to Wendy’s. (Correct me if I’m wrong here and the construction exit actually is picked up by motion detectors plus camera, etc...)

So by power of elimination it stands to reason that Brian did not leave via the ‘normal’ entrance/exit (as proven with CCTV footage), he most likely did not fall to his death via a construction exit that used an elevator to get to ground level and was ‘safe’ enough that not only did construction workers themselves manage to navigate safely but apparently other staff members of the Tuna as well. Also searching turned up no remains of Brian nor any of his belongings. Which leaves the Wendy’s exit that comes out into an alleyway. This is to me the most likely exit taken by Brian and the one where he more than likely ran into enough trouble that he never made it far enough to be seen on any other CCTV cameras in the area. Just who or what met him in that alleyway? And was he lured there or did he exit that way via his own volition???

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. You suggest that most likely scenario is that Brian entered the construction area but managed to make it out, and that something subsequently happened to him outside the building.

I would disagree. I think it most likely that, as Hurst suggests, Brian did enter the construction area, but failed to navigate the construction area, wound up buried in a trench collapse, died there around 2am on 4/1/06, his remains there to this day, having been inadvertently paved over in the ensuing weeks. I believe this is the simplest theory and aligns best with the known facts of the case. Doesn't require a motive to kill Brian, doesn't require murderers, doesn't need to explain why no trace of Brian outside the building in 12+ years, doesn't require a homicidal Clint, doesn't require an explanation for how Brian could have consciously dumped his GF, his grieving dad and bro, his promising career prospects...

Had there not been a construction site in the building where Brian was last seen, I'd agree with your theory. But there was. And Hurst thinks Brian entered it. And I agree. And Hurst thinks that Brian most likely made it out. And I disagree. I think all indications are that he did not make it out.

I think the Ohio State University should find out if Brian died in a tragic accident in their building, his remains there to this day. I think it is a shame that they have neglected for so long to do so.

I think the Ohio State University should find out if Brian died in a tragic accident in their building, his remains there to this day. I think it is a shame that they have neglected for so long to do so.

I could write a book on university cover ups including various types of negligence, blatant disability discrimination, deaths that are never explained quite right, obstruction of CCTV footage that could identify a rapist. It goes on and on. I'm not referring to OSU in any way (I have no experience with OSU at all), but a lot of universities have a list dirty secrets as long as your arm... or longer. Somewhere out there, there must be universities that are doing the right thing at least most of the time... but I can't help but have the attitude that I do since I definitely didn't go to one of those universities, and that has prompted me to listen to the stories of other students who are more victims than graduates of their universities too.

If $$$ is the barrier with regard to the use of ground penetrating radar, then OSU would have the means... but probably not the inclination. As much credence as I have given to this theory, it's just on my list... not something I actually believe as fact. But I feel that if there is any chance in the world that it's possible, it has to be investigated again with current technology. I was only just watching something about cadaver dogs again last night on television. I feel that investigators were absolutely right in using the dogs as an investigative tool, but it is absolutely wrong to keep putting forward the results of that search as a conversation stopper on the construction site theory. And that is exactly was has been happening.

....I feel that investigators were absolutely right in using the dogs as an investigative tool, but it is absolutely wrong to keep putting forward the results of that search as a conversation stopper on the construction site theory. And that is exactly was has been happening.

I should think so! Lead Det. Hurst, in Come Back Podcast - Episode 2, interviewed in 2018: "the basic indication right now is somehow he (Brian) got down in to the construction area and most likely got exited out of there..." 'Most likely'. Well then, perhaps he didn't make it out, which Hurst above indirectly acknowledged was a possibility. Been 12+ years now. To me, looks like Brian did not make it out. There is nothing remotely concrete (pardon) suggesting he did.Which means he's likely still in there. Isn't it worth another look...?

Last edited:
I could write a book on university cover ups including various types of negligence, blatant disability discrimination, deaths that are never explained quite right, obstruction of CCTV footage that could identify a rapist. It goes on and on. I'm not referring to OSU in any way (I have no experience with OSU at all), but a lot of universities have a list dirty secrets as long as your arm... or longer. Somewhere out there, there must be universities that are doing the right thing at least most of the time... but I can't help but have the attitude that I do since I definitely didn't go to one of those universities, and that has prompted me to listen to the stories of other students who are more victims than graduates of their universities too.

If $$$ is the barrier with regard to the use of ground penetrating radar, then OSU would have the means... but probably not the inclination. As much credence as I have given to this theory, it's just on my list... not something I actually believe as fact. But I feel that if there is any chance in the world that it's possible, it has to be investigated again with current technology. I was only just watching something about cadaver dogs again last night on television. I feel that investigators were absolutely right in using the dogs as an investigative tool, but it is absolutely wrong to keep putting forward the results of that search as a conversation stopper on the construction site theory. And that is exactly was has been happening.

I totally agree that the WHOLE of the Tuna should be thoroughly searched again with up to date technology and equipment, if only to put those who are stuck on the old construction site minds to rest.

I honestly though don’t put much stock into Brian having accidentally ‘fallen into a pit deep enough to cover his whole body and his belongings so has never been found’ as it simply can’t of had a layout so treacherous if not only wasn’t the entrance to the site secured properly but also staff members of the Tuna as well as construction workers were all using this very exit as a to and fro and I very much doubt that that would of been the case if they were random massive trenches big enough for a whole body to disappear into.... Also why Brian and why that night??? Seems odd. But yes another search there very well may at the minimum put peoples minds to rest who can’t seem to get past that theory...

I’d of personally been far more interested in the vehicles that pulled into the alleyway exit that had the Wendy’s near to it that night/early morning. Seems to me one way or another there’s a very good chance that Brian exited that way and got into a vehicle, whether by choice or by kidnapping. Stands to reason that all vehicles that was in the immediate area at that time should of been looked into as a possible means of Brian’s stealthy exit.

I totally agree that the WHOLE of the Tuna should be thoroughly searched again with up to date technology and equipment, if only to put those who are stuck on the old construction site minds to rest.

But yes another search there very well may at the minimum put peoples minds to rest who can’t seem to get past that theory...

These are not realistic reasons that anyone is going to spend money, time and resources searching the building.

No
These are not realistic reasons that anyone is going to spend money, time and resources searching the building.

No and I get that. But I very much doubt without any real reason to believe that he could of ended up dying there and they somehow or other missed him despite all the other searches conducted then it never really will be searched again unless they decide that with newer technology it may yield some discovery that was missed in the prior searches. I don’t know what else there is. I personally don’t believe that is where Brian ended up so I don’t have any real desire for them to sink money and time into what would most likely result in nothing anyway.

I honestly though don’t put much stock into Brian having accidentally ‘fallen into a pit deep enough to cover his whole body and his belongings so has never been found’ as it simply can’t of had a layout so treacherous if not only wasn’t the entrance to the site secured properly but also staff members of the Tuna as well as construction workers were all using this very exit as a to and fro and I very much doubt that that would of been the case if they were random massive trenches big enough for a whole body to disappear into.... Also why Brian and why that night??? Seems odd. But yes another search there very well may at the minimum put peoples minds to rest who can’t seem to get past that theory...

I’d of personally been far more interested in the vehicles that pulled into the alleyway exit that had the Wendy’s near to it that night/early morning. Seems to me one way or another there’s a very good chance that Brian exited that way and got into a vehicle, whether by choice or by kidnapping. Stands to reason that all vehicles that was in the immediate area at that time should of been looked into as a possible means of Brian’s stealthy exit.
Here's the other problem with the deep pit theory. Any deep pit that was dug in the construction area was dug for a reason. If a pit or trench collapsed and buried Brian, the construction crew would have re-dug the pit, even if it was just a hole to be filled with concrete.

I agree that Brian could have had an accident at the construction entrance. If he fell into a trench that was covered with heavy plastic that was to be filled with concrete the next morning, the workers would not be able to see him covered with the heavy fallen plastic inside the deep trench, so the hole would be filled as planned.
Even if the workers removed the heavy plastic Brian might not be seen at the bottom of the trench (if it was even checked)

Last edited:
Y'all who discount the notion that Brian may have died in an accident in the construction area might ask yourselves one simple question. Or more.

Why did police bother to search the construction area?
Why did they use cadaver dogs?
What compelled Brian's father to then personally search the construction area?
Why such focus on the construction area?
Why, despite the focus, apparently no digging?

So, did they think there was a chance he was in there? Yes. Did they find him? No. Does that mean he isn't in there? Of course not.

You also might google 'dies in trench collapse'. You might be surprised. And if you then check images, you might be horrified. Not for the faint of heart. Trench collapses aren't as common as they used to be, due in part to use of a frame of welded steel plates to hold back walls. But they still happen to this day. And they're always unexpected.

Last edited:
You also might google 'dies in trench collapse'. You might be surprised. And if you then check images, you might be horrified. Not for the faint of heart. Trench collapses aren't as common as they used to be, due in part to use of a frame of welded steel plates to hold back walls. But they still happen to this day. And they're always unexpected.

I did just search... a couple of recent cases in my country alone.

April 2018 rbbm
Preventing trench collapses | 2018-04-22 | Safety+Health Magazine
"In 2016, 23 workers died and 12 others were injured in trench collapses, the agency notes. However, trench deaths and injuries are preventable.

Not worth the risk
Entering an unprotected or insufficiently protected trench means putting your life at risk, NIOSH warns, as trenches give no warning that they’re going to collapse.

Why do trench collapses occur? NIOSH cites numerous potential factors, including soil type and water content, environmental conditions, proximity to previously backfilled excavations, weight of heavy equipment or tools, and vibrations from machines and motor vehicles that can affect soil stability."
"NIOSH states that the competent person must continue to inspect the excavation site, all adjacent areas and protective systems every day before work begins, throughout the shift and after every rainstorm."

April 2018 rbbm
Preventing trench collapses | 2018-04-22 | Safety+Health Magazine
"In 2016, 23 workers died and 12 others were injured in trench collapses, the agency notes. However, trench deaths and injuries are preventable.

Not worth the risk
Entering an unprotected or insufficiently protected trench means putting your life at risk, NIOSH warns, as trenches give no warning that they’re going to collapse.

Why do trench collapses occur? NIOSH cites numerous potential factors, including soil type and water content, environmental conditions, proximity to previously backfilled excavations, weight of heavy equipment or tools, and vibrations from machines and motor vehicles that can affect soil stability."
"NIOSH states that the competent person must continue to inspect the excavation site, all adjacent areas and protective systems every day before work begins, throughout the shift and after every rainstorm."

"Excavation and trenching are among the most hazardous construction operations. OSHA defines an excavation as any man-made cut, cavity, trench, or depression in the earth’s surface formed by earth removal. A trench is defined as a narrow underground excavation that is deeper than it is wide, and is no wider than 15 feet. Cave-ins pose the greatest risk and are much more likely than other excavation related accidents to result in worker fatalities. Other potential hazards include falls, falling loads, hazardous atmospheres, and incidents involving mobile equipment. Trench collapses cause dozens of fatalities and hundreds of injuries each year."

A trench collapse with witnesses is a bad thing. Time of the essence.

A trench collapse with zero witnesses is a very bad thing. No chance of rescue.

A trench collapse with zero witnesses and perhaps no obvious or easily-noticed visual evidence it happened is a very bad thing that can form the basis of an enduring mystery....

Last edited:
Y'all who discount the notion that Brian may have died in an accident in the construction area might ask yourselves one simple question. Or more.

Why did police bother to search the construction area?
Why did they use cadaver dogs?
What compelled Brian's father to then personally search the construction area?
Why such focus on the construction area?
Why, despite the focus, apparently no digging?

So, did they think there was a chance he was in there? Yes. Did they find him? No. Does that mean he isn't in there? Of course not.

Does anyone remember if Brian’s dad used cadaver dogs or SAR dogs? If he was buried there I am a bit surprised the cadaver dogs didn’t find him. They can detect buried remains that have been buried for years.

In this case they detected remains that were buried over 12 ft. deep and inside of an old oil tank.
Cadaver dogs beat technology in locating buried bodies

Does anyone remember if Brian’s dad used cadaver dogs or SAR dogs? If he was buried there I am a bit surprised the cadaver dogs didn’t find him. They can detect buried remains that have been buried for years.

In this case they detected remains that were buried over 12 ft. deep and inside of an old oil tank.
Cadaver dogs beat technology in locating buried bodies
The molecules that cadaver dogs detect migrate through the soil over time. If a body has been buried for a short time, cadaver dogs could miss it because those molecules that are the product of decomposition won't have had time to migrate to the surface.

Hey all. I don't know if this has been discussed before, but I want to say something about the random cell phone ping that Brian's phone got in Hilliard OH. I live in central Ohio, and I always wondered why there would be a random ping of his mobile phone in Hilliard, of all places. Today I remembered that a former coworker quit his job where I work to start working at a new company that recycled old cell phones. It's still in existence and much larger now. It's call e-Cycle and it's based in Hilliard. It started in 2005. They get old, used cell phones, erase the data on them then put them back into use, I think. Anyway, I assume that they'd have to power up the phone to do whatever they do to them. I don't claim to understand how their process works at all. But it might just explain why his phone pinged off a tower in Hilliard.

If it was in that company being refurbished, it's rather ominous though. That would mean that someone got a hold of the phone off of him somehow, which would not have been done willingly, I'm sure. It then got sold and wound up at e-Cycle.

Anyway, I'd like to read what everyone thinks about this. If it's already been pointed out, sorry.

Hey all. I don't know if this has been discussed before, but I want to say something about the random cell phone ping that Brian's phone got in Hilliard OH. I live in central Ohio, and I always wondered why there would be a random ping of his mobile phone in Hilliard, of all places. Today I remembered that a former coworker quit his job where I work to start working at a new company that recycled old cell phones. It's still in existence and much larger now. It's call e-Cycle and it's based in Hilliard. It started in 2005. They get old, used cell phones, erase the data on them then put them back into use, I think. Anyway, I assume that they'd have to power up the phone to do whatever they do to them. I don't claim to understand how their process works at all. But it might just explain why his phone pinged off a tower in Hilliard.

If it was in that company being refurbished, it's rather ominous though. That would mean that someone got a hold of the phone off of him somehow, which would not have been done willingly, I'm sure. It then got sold and wound up at e-Cycle.

Anyway, I'd like to read what everyone thinks about this. If it's already been pointed out, sorry.

Interesting! Was e-Cycle located in Hilliard in 2006? Be interesting to know if e-Cycle has any record of having processed Brian's phone. If phone pinged when Alexis called it while phone was being readied for re-use, why would it not ping thereafter once in use with new user? Is a chip replaced as with cell phones of today? Also, I'd think that, in this scenario where Brian lived beyond the wee hours of 4/1/06 and made it out of the building, there'd likely have been some pings in the hours after Brian disappeared. Instead, there was straight-to-voice-mail radio-silence from around 2am on....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members