OH OH - Brian Shaffer, 27, Columbus, 1 April 2006 - #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Off topic and complete coincidence: interesting that the 3 cases I'm interested in: Brian Shaffer, Joey LaBute, Jr. (just heard here) and Amy Lynn Bradley, all happened in late March/early April.

Noticed this case on Ohio Missing Person's FB page. It stood out due to it being anniversary date BS went missing and the video that was posted. Have to go back and read from the beginning. Link to video below. Apologies if this was previously posted. So tragic for his friends and family.

The bathroom was checked. This video shows the back entrance (not sure if that's what you are looking for and if this has been posted, but there was Clint footage that I was interested to see, just to see what he's like):

Was there anything about the Ugly Tuna Saloona that only a select few knew about? An example would be a hidden entrance or a secret compartment that you could hid items in?

Was there anything about the Ugly Tuna Saloona that only a select few knew about? An example would be a hidden entrance or a secret compartment that you could hid items in?
No. The UTS closed and the space was stripped and converted to office space last May/June. Body somehow out of view in UTS space would thus have been exposed.

The nearby construction area, however, may be a different story. And the lead detective seems to think Brian was in there that morning, likely drunk and alone, at the very moment he permanently disappeared. But they didn't find Brian. Did they simply miss him?

Last edited:
No. The UTS closed and the space was stripped and converted to office space last May/June. Body somehow out of view in UTS space would thus have been exposed.

The nearby construction area, however, may be a different story. And the lead detective seems to think Brian was in there that morning, likely drunk and alone, at the very moment he permanently disappeared. But they didn't find Brian. Did they simply miss him?
That's why I believe they should allow the public to view any unseen footage. Perhaps someone would be able to see something the cops missed? What's the harm at this point? I don't know what the general consensus is about what happened to Brian but I suspect a tragic accident or foul play.

There was an easy way out for Brian that night that makes perfect sense and that was to follow the band. Brian at one point mentioned to Clint that he wanted to talk to the band. Some members of the band had recently been questioned and they said when they left that night quite a few people who were friends and fans followed them out the side door by the alley where the band loaded up their equipment in one of the member's truck.

When Detective Edwards said everyone who came up the escalator went back down is simply not true. Quite a few people left the building that night with the band.

This is the most logical and simple explanation based on what is known after all these years of speculation. Brian left with the band and other people and once outside he turned right and down the alley towards Wendy's and in the direction of where he lived. Remember that the dogs did lead them to Wendy's parking lot.

It's possible he got into someone's car in Wendy's parking lot. Wendy's closed at 11 pm so I'm sure a few people who came late would have parked there to avoid paying at the parking garage. Brian was either offered a ride by someone who he knew or someone was there waiting for him that he may have known well enough to accept a ride. Could Brian have run off to start a new life? Of course it's possible but I don't think it likely even if I once did.

I personally believe Brian died that night either by accident or was murdered. I believe Brian went to another party that night with a "friend" and got himself into a bad situation. I also believe that this person will be reading this post eventually and he knows his days are numbered.

I'll bet if I had 3 guesses as to who Brian was with that night after he left the Ugly Tuna that one of these names would be the right one and to that person I say this to you. Your days are numbered. Time is finally catching up to you and people are starting to talk and are unknowingly giving clues as to where Brian went that night and who he went with. It's soooo much easier today to connect the dots than it used to be and this will be your downfall.

Last edited:
I have a nagging question that I'm sure has been answered somewhere - Clint and Meredith waited a time for Brian to exit the bar, called him (straight to VM) and didn't see him so they left. Did either of them try calling again into the night or over the next few days? I've never heard that he was attempted to be reached the next day by either of them. To me, it would be logical for at least Clint to call, "Dude, where did you end up last night?" I've never seen that written anywhere. Also, at what point did they learn he was actually missing?

Some articles say Meredith Reed was a friend of Clint's, some say she was a friend of both BS and Clint. Which is true? Did she have any relationship with Clint? Where is she now?

Did Clint spend many hours in BS's apartment/room the day after he disappeared? What to believe of the different accounts?

Believe the lead detective - answer, as recently noted here, is NO. Check out comeback podcast, it will inform.

Thanks, link? I only found one with a short "session 1".

And if it's rumor, where did it originate?

Did Clint spend many hours in BS's apartment/room the day after he disappeared? What to believe of the different accounts?
This was what was reported in the Columbus Dispatch, a report I believe from the 10th anniversary of his disappearance, back in 2016. I have a hard copy... somewhere.... but it may still be available online. There should be a link to it here somewhere. Though it was later discounted by the police detective, though I’ve always wondered why the discrepancy.

Listen to ComeBack - A True Crime Podcast

select episode #2, which is the interview with Lead Det. John Hurst.

Try this link: ComeBack

Select episode called 'special edition', in which Private Investigator Don Corbett is interviewed. At 24:40 in, he states that the rumor that Clint was at Brian's apartment the morn of 4/1/06 is 'BS', that Det. Hurst told Corbett the rumor is bogus. I've no idea where rumor originated.

Listen to ComeBack - A True Crime Podcast

select episode #2, which is the interview with Lead Det. John Hurst.

Try this link: ComeBack

Select episode called 'special edition', in which Private Investigator Don Corbett is interviewed. At 24:40 in, he states that the rumor that Clint was at Brian's apartment the morn of 4/1/06 is 'BS', that Det. Hurst told Corbett the rumor is bogus. I've no idea where rumor originated.

Thank you for the links. That's a lot to listen to.

Could Brian have run off to start a new life? Of course it's possible but I don't think it likely even if I once did.

Your 180 degree turn around on that point has been pretty sudden. Do you have enough information to change your mind that hard if you stand back and look at it objectively?
I'm only asking because this is the type of case where the tiniest snippet of info could make a person swing from one theory to another.

And if you now think Brian may have left with the band, why on earth would he have turned off his phone (or the phone have become disabled) right at that moment. Because remember... that phone thing happened very quickly.

Does anyone else perhaps think LE has a good idea of what has happened all along but for some good reason are keeping their cards close?

That's often the case, so it could be with this one too. Although I do think this case has baffled them way more than others. It sounds so much like Sgt. Hurst's frustration with the case was more one of not having enough clues (while at the same time being determined to solve it), than a case of knowing what happened but not having enough evidence to arrest a person of interest.

If anything, LE may be split across a few theories, and have more reason than we know about directing them to one in particular... but at the end of the day, they still don't know.

If LE has heard from (or located) Brian and been told that he disappeared intentionally, they are prevented by law from pursuing the case or releasing any information regarding his location. There is no law broken when an adult chooses to drop off the grid (unless there are ancillary laws that were broken). They would do just as the have and remain silent. That doesn't mean I'm convinced that's what has happened, I'm just pointing out the legal perspective. imo

[QUOTE="embufum, post: 14961705, member: 218705”]Some members of the band had recently been questioned and they said when they left that night quite a few people who were friends and fans followed them out the side door by the alley where the band loaded up their equipment in one of the member's truck.[/QUOTE]

Source?

[QUOTE="embufum, post: 14961705, member: 218705”]When Detective Edwards said everyone who came up the escalator went back down is simply not true. Quite a few people left the building that night with the band.[/QUOTE]

Source?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members