OH OH - Brian Shaffer, 27, Columbus, 1 April 2006 - #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
A new story done on Brian with a phone interview I did today.

Cold case of missing Ohio State medical student gets renewed interest
Awesome, thanks!
From link.. rbbm.
“I understand there are some people think that Brian is still alive, but we don’t know unless somebody please come forward and help us out,” said Puskas.

Crime Stoppers said the case has been cold for years, but that's not stopping loved ones spreading the word. They’re organizing the second annual “Brian Shaffer March for The Missing” this weekend.

“We get tips all the time, granted most of them are not viable but it does keep people talking,” said one of the march organizers over the phone, Kelly Hammonds. “I think that there is a lack of evidence of him being dead and there’s a lack of evidence of him being alive.”
“If anybody can remember anything to help. Any tidbit of information, I know his brother would love it,” Puskas stated.

The March for the Missing, begins at noon this Saturday, at King Avenue United Methodist Church located 299 King Ave in Columbus. It’s open to the public."

Isn't the most likely option in this case, that he ended up leaving, for whatever reason, with the wrong person? Maybe someone else who wasn't seen leaving on surveillance video either? On a recent episode of True Crime Garage it was mentioned that security staff at the Ugly Tuna Saloona said it was absolutely possible that someone could have left w/out being caught doing so on camera. If Brian wasn't caught on camera, maybe he was with someone who also wasn't. I just think it makes a lot more sense that whatever happened to Brian, happened in private. When I apply Occam's Razor to this, it's the simplest answer. Something didn't happen to him while he was wandering around or making his way home in a big city with people and cameras everywhere. Something happened when he was somewhere he'd be much less likely to be seen.

Isn't the most likely option in this case, that he ended up leaving, for whatever reason, with the wrong person? Maybe someone else who wasn't seen leaving on surveillance video either? On a recent episode of True Crime Garage it was mentioned that security staff at the Ugly Tuna Saloona said it was absolutely possible that someone could have left w/out being caught doing so on camera. If Brian wasn't caught on camera, maybe he was with someone who also wasn't. I just think it makes a lot more sense that whatever happened to Brian, happened in private. When I apply Occam's Razor to this, it's the simplest answer. Something didn't happen to him while he was wandering around or making his way home in a big city with people and cameras everywhere. Something happened when he was somewhere he'd be much less likely to be seen.

Perhaps. But my understanding is that LE had everyone who entered the building also accounted for leaving the building. Except one. Brian Shaffer.

So to me, since Brian seems not to have ever left the building, and since he was never seen again and never any sign of life he most likely died that morning, Occam's Razor would point to Brian having perished in the building. But no body was found. But is there some place in a building where a body might permanently escape detection? Why yes! In this case there just happened to be such a place just yards from where Brian was last seen. What a coincidence! It was known as 'the construction area' (being prepped for the Sunflower Market grocery which opened 5 months later) immediately east of the UTS space and one floor below at ground level. It was sloppily secured with loosely chained plywood doors. Sgt. Hurst, the main lawman on the case, characterized the construction area as being 'completely dug up' and 'difficult to navigate even sober' (which Brian seems not to have been), and has suggested that he believes Brian may well have entered the construction area. If so, Brian would almost certainly have been alone in there during the wee hours on a weekend. Some days later, dogs were used to search the construction area, but found nothing. Could Brian's remains be under what was once the Sunflower Market, but has since been converted to office space? Yes, they certainly could, along with his cellphone, billfold, keys. Occam's Razor.... No need to have Brian outside the building and avoiding cams. No need to conjure a homicidal stranger nor a murderer who's managed to keep a dark secret 13 years. No need to have Brian trashing his loved ones and eloping and miraculously avoiding detection. Just a stupid friggin accident, a drunken tumble alone, a partial trench collapse, a failed search, an unsolved - but perhaps easily solvable in maybe just a single day or two - mystery. That simple.

Last edited:
Perhaps. But my understanding is that LE had everyone who entered the building also accounted for leaving the building. Except one. Brian Shaffer.

So to me, since Brian seems not to have ever left the building, and since he was never seen again and never any sign of life he most likely died that morning, Occam's Razor would point to Brian having perished in the building. But no body was found. But is there some place in a building where a body might permanently escape detection? Why yes! In this case there just happened to be such a place just yards from where Brian was last seen. What a coincidence! It was known as 'the construction area' (being prepped for the Sunflower Market grocery which opened 5 months later) immediately east of the UTS space and one floor below at ground level. It was loosely boarded up. Sgt. Hurst, the main lawman on the case, characterized the construction area as being 'completely dug up' and 'difficult to navigate even sober' (which Brian seems not to have been), and has suggested that he believes Brian may well have entered the construction area. If so, Brian would almost certainly have been alone in there. Dogs were used to search the construction area, but found nothing. Could Brian's remains be under what was once the Sunflower Market, but which is now office space? Yes, they certainly could. Occam's Razor.... No need to have Brian outside the building and avoiding cams. No need to conjure a murder. No need to have Brian eloping. Just a stupid drunken accident and a failed search. That simple.

Rather than summarize both recent episodes of True Crime Garage (because that would be ridiculous), I'm just going to post a link True Crime Garage - LISTEN. I'm sure I'm not as well versed on this case as you are, but they go over a lot of what you mentioned and it's pretty interesting. After hearing it, I believe the police accounted for everyone they had on surveillance that evening, but I no longer think everyone on surveillance = everyone there. They also go over how most of the construction was finished and how that angle has possibly been under explained or overblown by the media. I used to think he was somewhere in the construction area too. Now that seems kind of unlikely. It's definitely worth a listen.

Rather than summarize both recent episodes of True Crime Garage (because that would be ridiculous), I'm just going to post a link True Crime Garage - LISTEN. I'm sure I'm not as well versed on this case as you are, but they go over a lot of what you mentioned and it's pretty interesting. After hearing it, I believe the police accounted for everyone they had on surveillance that evening, but I no longer think everyone on surveillance = everyone there. They also go over how most of the construction was finished and how that angle has possibly been under explained or overblown by the media. I used to think he was somewhere in the construction area too. Now that seems kind of unlikely. It's definitely worth a listen.

'Mostly finished' is definitely not consistent with Sgt. Hurst's characterization of the site as having been in a 'completely dug up' state. When you're still digging you're a long way from mostly finished. The floors aren't even done! Utilities are still being installed. No disrespect to podcasters (we're all just trying to get to resolution), but who ya gonna believe, Sgt. Hurst, who was THERE, or the media or some podcasters 13 years later who never saw 'the construction area'?! I understand the desire of folks to want for Brian to still be alive somewhere and able to fulfill his great promise, but that is not consistent with the evidence or with Occam's Razor.

If Sgt. Hurst goes on record saying that his recollection was wrong and he now recalls that all floors had already been poured in the construction area on 4/1/06, which would mean the construction area was not dug up at all (cuz the dirt would be under the concrete), then I will rest my case. Until then, I contend that Brian's remains are most likely somewhere under that concrete.

Last edited:
The Sunflower Market space under construction, a week or two after Brian disappeared. The UTS space is on the upper
floor directly behind this space.

attachment.php

Same view at least 5 months later, when the space was completed. As you can see, at 4/1/06, there was much work to be done.
sunflower_1-jpg.134222

Here, in a 4/06 photo, you can see heavy equipment still inside the construction area. Bit of a coincidence that a guy seems not to have left a building, never seen again, and it turns out the building he was last seen in featured a completely dug up and dangerous construction area, which the lead investigator thinks the missing guy may well have entered while alone and inebriated!:

screen-shot-2017-03-31-at-9-11-57-am-png.134221

Last edited:
Hi everyone, this is my first post, I recently learned about Brian's disappearance and am very intrigued. I've read a lot about this mystery in the past week and have listened to all the podcasts on Apple and YouTube. On the Missing in Ohio YouTube segment done recently, someone by the name of "T Smith" posted "I live in Columbus and am privy to some bits of info. Looks like there will be some person or persons brought in for questioning within the next few weeks. Maybe this will be the year we finally get the answers that have eluded Brian’s case for so long." Do any of you know if he was just blowing smoke or if they are truly questioning new people? I hope they are still actively investigating all leads and possibilities, it's obvious that they've missed something, somewhere. Whether Brian is dead or alive, I think it is crucial for his family and friends to know the truth. I am astounded that they haven't utilized ground penetrating radar to search the grounds near the UTS, I hope he's alive but if he's not, I bet the radar would lead to answers.

Hi everyone, this is my first post, I recently learned about Brian's disappearance and am very intrigued. I've read a lot about this mystery in the past week and have listened to all the podcasts on Apple and YouTube. On the Missing in Ohio YouTube segment done recently, someone by the name of "T Smith" posted "I live in Columbus and am privy to some bits of info. Looks like there will be some person or persons brought in for questioning within the next few weeks. Maybe this will be the year we finally get the answers that have eluded Brian’s case for so long." Do any of you know if he was just blowing smoke or if they are truly questioning new people? I hope they are still actively investigating all leads and possibilities, it's obvious that they've missed something, somewhere. Whether Brian is dead or alive, I think it is crucial for his family and friends to know the truth. I am astounded that they haven't utilized ground penetrating radar to search the grounds near the UTS, I hope he's alive but if he's not, I bet the radar would lead to answers.
Welcome! Could you possibly post the link for that, I’m having no luck finding it. TIA

Several years ago, I posted here (my previous account deleted on my request so it should now appear as "Deleted member 192280") mentioning a youtube comment by someone, who said that they knew someone who worked in that bar (not sure back then or later), and according to that person, there was a huge garbage dumper/collector/destroyer inside the bar, and many or all employees who were there back then believed that BS somehow ended up in that huge garbage machine.

This case is extremely frustrating. How is there NOTHING? Someone has to be involved. It makes me so sad.
I have been to this bar MANY times wasted. Not that I’m proud of it but it was a fun place to go. It is near a very sketchy area.

But when it comes to the actual bar, I never noticed any exit other than the one by the escalators nor did I think to go out any other exit. Even if I was “talking to the band”.
The bar is very simple. It’s a square. With two bathrooms towards the exit and a kitchen. It also has garage-like doors that open to the patio. Could he have jumped off the patio? I’m sure cameras would’ve picked him up somewhere. He wouldn’t have died jumping from it- it’s a second story patio.

I don’t think he just ran away. Something happened. And it’s terrifying that Columbus police haven’t figured out anything.

This case is extremely frustrating. How is there NOTHING? Someone has to be involved. It makes me so sad.....

Yeah, ya figure if someone was involved, the beans would have been spilled by now. But maybe someone doesn't have to be involved. And maybe Brian never did leave the premises, to this day. Maybe an inebriated Brian simply stumbled into an accidental death, alone, in a trench collapse just yards from where he was last seen, in the completely dug up construction area, never to be discovered. So simple.

Yeah, ya figure if someone was involved, the beans would have been spilled by now. But maybe someone doesn't have to be involved. And maybe Brian never did leave the premises, to this day. Maybe an inebriated Brian simply stumbled into an accidental death, alone, in a trench collapse just yards from where he was last seen, in the completely dug up construction area, never to be discovered. So simple.

And no one ever saw? Not construction workers or anyone?

And no one ever saw? Not construction workers or anyone?

The place was empty, Brian would have been alone. In my theory Brian was all or partially buried in dirt. And if the area was graded before dogs came by, he may have been several feet under. I know, sounds hard to believe. Whatever happened that night was an unbelievable thing. To me, this scenario is simplest, most believable, and definitely easiest to prove or disprove and potentially actually come up with Brian's remains and close the case.

OSU owned and still owns the site. They've done nada.

Last edited:
'Mostly finished' is definitely not consistent with Sgt. Hurst's characterization of the site as having been in a 'completely dug up' state. When you're still digging you're a long way from mostly finished. The floors aren't even done! Utilities are still being installed. No disrespect to podcasters (we're all just trying to get to resolution), but who ya gonna believe, Sgt. Hurst, who was THERE, or the media or some podcasters 13 years later who never saw 'the construction area'?! I understand the desire of folks to want for Brian to still be alive somewhere and able to fulfill his great promise, but that is not consistent with the evidence or with Occam's Razor.

If Sgt. Hurst goes on record saying that his recollection was wrong and he now recalls that all floors had already been poured in the construction area on 4/1/06, which would mean the construction area was not dug up at all (cuz the dirt would be under the concrete), then I will rest my case. Until then, I contend that Brian's remains are most likely somewhere under that concrete.

I personally, have no idea what the construction site looked thick when he disappeared. But I'm curious if it's been confirmed that they were still pouring concrete. I ask because I feel like accidentally pouring concrete over his body is a plausible scenario, but anything else happening where they just missed the body and covered it up somehow seems way less likely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
missylaforme