OH OH - Brian Shaffer, 27, Columbus, 1 April 2006 - #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
screen-shot-2017-03-31-at-9-11-57-am-png.134221
I personally, have no idea what the construction site looked thick when he disappeared. But I'm curious if it's been confirmed that they were still pouring concrete. I ask because I feel like accidentally pouring concrete over his body is a plausible scenario, but anything else happening where they just missed the body and covered it up somehow seems way less likely.
Yeah, it would be so very interesting to see an indoor shot of the site of the construction area. Nearest I've seen is a 4/06 media pic (linked above) shot from the street (E. 9th Ave., running east/west along south side of complex that then housed the UTS) showing an open temporary door to the construction area along the south side of the complex and showing a construction worker standing next to a large piece of equipment that appears to be a scissor lift. Based on what Hurst said last year, the construction area would have looked 'completely dug up' and 'difficult to navigate' on 4/1/06. That means there had to have been piles of dirt and holes/trenches, presumably dug for utilities such as plumbing. So if it was in fact completely dug up (I can think of no reason to doubt Hurst on this point), than without any doubt whatsoever concrete had to have been poured after 4/1/06, but well before stores such as Sunflower Market opened in early 9/06. The only way I can think of that Brian's remains may have been inadvertently paved over is a scenario in which he a) stumbled into a trench (or a trench wall under him gave out) and b) in so doing, contacted and loosened fill, causing it to follow in after and on top of him to effectively trap and entomb him in such a way that c) construction workers returning to work Monday may not have noticed that part of a trench wall collapsed or noticed it but never imaged that someone was under it. I suppose the reason they secure construction sites is in the hope of preventing precisely this type of scenario (google 'trench collapse victim' - not for the faint of heart). Hurst has already acknowledged that the construction site may not have been fully adequately secured and has speculated that Brian may well have gained access to and entered the construction area in the wee hours of 4/1/06.

Last edited:
screen-shot-2017-03-31-at-9-11-57-am-png.134221

Yeah, it would be so very interesting to see an indoor shot of the site of the construction area. Nearest I've seen is a 4/06 media pic (linked above) shot from the street (E. 9th Ave., running east/west along south side of complex that then housed the UTS) showing an open temporary door to the construction area along the south side of the complex and showing a construction worker standing next to a large piece of equipment that appears to be a scissor lift. Based on what Hurst said last year, the construction area would have looked 'completely dug up' and 'difficult to navigate' on 4/1/06. That means there had to have been piles of dirt and holes/trenches, presumably dug for utilities such as plumbing. So if it was in fact completely dug up (I can think of no reason to doubt Hurst on this point), than without any doubt whatsoever concrete had to have been poured after 4/1/06, but well before stores such as Sunflower Market opened in early 9/06. The only way I can think of that Brian's remains may have been inadvertently paved over is a scenario in which he a) stumbled into a trench (or a trench wall under him gave out) and b) in so doing, contacted and loosened fill, causing it to follow in after and on top of him to effectively trap and entomb him in such a way that c) construction workers returning to work Monday may not have noticed that part of a trench wall collapsed or noticed it but never imaged that someone was under it. I suppose the reason they secure construction sites is in the hope of preventing precisely this type of scenario (google 'trench collapse victim' - not for the faint of heart). Hurst has already acknowledged that the construction site may not have been fully adequately secured and has speculated that Brian may well have gained access to and entered the construction area in the wee hours of 4/1/06.

Thank you so much for the info. Like I said in an earlier post, I always thought he must have stumbled onto the construction site and fell into something like a trench. But, after learning that employees of the bar allegedly stated that the fire exit didn't work, (and didn't have a camera on it) I've started to think it's more likely he went out that door. And maybe he wasn't alone.

Thank you so much for the info. Like I said in an earlier post, I always thought he must have stumbled onto the construction site and fell into something like a trench. But, after learning that employees of the bar allegedly stated that the fire exit didn't work, (and didn't have a camera on it) I've started to think it's more likely he went out that door. And maybe he wasn't alone.

Comeback Podcast Episode #2 includes interview of lead detective Hurst. At 10:05 in he states that, if I understand him correctly, there was an outside cam that would have been able to pick up the UTS fire/emergency exit but that security personnel had "over-ridden the automatic where they'd pan to the door" so that the fire exit was not on vid. He also states that "employees who were working that night said that to their knowledge no one had gone down the fire escape that night".

The lead detective has stated that 'the basic indication' is that Brian had entered the construction area and 'most likely' gotten 'exited out of there'. So the lead detective seems to think Brian exited via the construction area.

Needless to say, he could be wrong having Brian exiting via the dug up, dangerous construction area, and you could be right having Brian exiting via the fire/emergency exit. Of course, the lead detective has more complete info on the case than we do. I lean toward what the lead detective thinks - that Brian was in the construction area that morn (presumably, alone). But the lead detective thinks Brian most likely made it out (what else could he say, the he thinks Brian didn't make it out!). But there isn't a shred of evidence that he did, and he's been radio silent and missing 13 years now - almost as if..... he's dead and buried somewhere. Maybe just yards from where he was last seen on video.

Last edited:
Must have missed this sweet tweet..

Columbus Ohio Police on Twitter
"We still have hope Brian is alive and well. Anyone with info on this case is asked to call us at 614-645-4545. #missing
Columbus Ohio Police added,
Sam ProvenzanoVerified account @samseles
Dateline NBC's Brian Shaffer story - YouTube #brianshaffer #findbrianshaffer #stillmissing #13years ⁦@ColumbusPolice⁩ ⁦@ColdJusticeTV⁩ ⁦@SieglerKelly⁩ ⁦@YolandaMcClary⁩ ⁦@PearlJam
5:58 PM - 9 Apr 2019"

This case just blows my mind how there is NOTHING. I think it’s very possible him and Clint took drugs and Brian ended up expiring in the bathroom. Owner ended up taking him out the next morning in the trash. With Brian being exhausted - I wouldn’t be surprised if he took adderall and drank on it.

noticed Brian’s friend from his night out goes by a different name than what he used to be called. Looks like he’s been divorced & remarried. And also, to me looks older than 42. Wish I could have a chat with the ex wife!

Last edited:
This case just blows my mind how there is NOTHING. I think it’s very possible him and Clint took drugs and Brian ended up expiring in the bathroom. Owner ended up taking him out the next morning in the trash. With Brian being exhausted - I wouldn’t be surprised if he took adderall and drank on it.

noticed Brian’s friend from his night out goes by a different name than what he used to be called. Looks like he’s been divorced & remarried. And also, to me looks older than 42. Wish I could have a chat with the ex wife!
A different name? Could you provide a link to this info? TIA

"We still have hope Brian is alive and well. Anyone with info on this case is asked to call us at 614-645-4545. #missing
Dateline NBC's Brian Shaffer story - YouTube #brianshaffer #findbrianshaffer #stillmissing #13years ⁦@ColumbusPolice⁩ ⁦@ColdJusticeTV⁩ ⁦@SieglerKelly⁩ ⁦@YolandaMcClary⁩ ⁦@PearlJam
Who is Sam Provenzano? This twitter thing confuses me, lol. But did you see the twitter thing right beneath that one, by COTA bus #1124? Makes ya think doesn’t it?

Who is Sam Provenzano? This twitter thing confuses me, lol. But did you see the twitter thing right beneath that one, by COTA bus #1124? Makes ya think doesn’t it?
Also get confused by tweets, lol, did not even notice the interesting bit you picked up on, thanks!

Also some of the comments posted under that Dateline Video are a bit interesting :)
Haven’t had a chance to watch the video but will hopefully do so soon.

It sure isn't the way they'd word that Tweet if they had evidence of a homicide and a person (or persons) of interest. The probability of foul play play comes up all the time, with good enough reason since nothing ever seems to officially get ruled out. But, even though we don't know everything LE does, I doubt there's ever been any evidence of foul play other than the fact that a person is missing and no one knows why.

Who on earth manages to commit the perfect crime in or near a party scene surrounded by cameras and revellers? Nobody. No opportunistic crim' is that good surely. I don't think a well planned one with a vendetta against Brian could be either.

I haven’t read every post on this case and know pretty minimal about it. Is it possible that he walked or wondered into a freezer, employees found him eventually and covered it up? I am sure this has been thought of or discussed. What has been the most popular theory as to what happened? I guess, what has been the most popular theory from websleuth members?

I haven’t read every post on this case and know pretty minimal about it. Is it possible that he walked or wondered into a freezer, employees found him eventually and covered it up? I am sure this has been thought of or discussed. What has been the most popular theory as to what happened? I guess, what has been the most popular theory from websleuth members?

Hi Dimples... it's good to see another person taking an interest in this case.

I really don't think it possible that he wandered into a freezer. It's really obvious that a commercial freezer is what it is, nobody could confuse it for an exit, even when drunk. I mean I know that there is such a thing as a complete drunken stupor, but even though Brian might have been a bit tanked, he was still walking, talking, and making sense.

Employees are not going to cover up the presence of a body in a freezer. In a situation where an employee discovered something like that, there's no reason not to call 911. The employee hasn't committed any crime at all... until they go interfering with a corpse, and then that's serious stuff. No one would risk it over a bar or kitchen job.

I have worked in kitchens before, they usually have cameras actually. The cameras are there more for insurance reasons than anything else... just in case anything happens that they need to claim on, especially to prove any fire that starts in there was an accident or fault. A modest size one I worked in had 3 cameras in the kitchen, and one in the freezer.

Anyway, there isn't really one theory in this thread that is most popular. That's the nature of this case. More like a few theories that Websleuthers argue valiantly over.

Maybe there should be a running list of theories. Here's a start:

Brian made it out of the building alive that night:

1) Brian ran off to a new life in a new place with a new identity and has managed to evade detection.
2) Brian's companion that night, Clint, was involved in Brian's disappearance and presumed death.
3) Brian was murdered by strangers and his remains successfully hidden and disposed of.
4) Brian drowned in an area river, his body washed away.
5) Brian committed suicide, his remains never discovered.
6) Brian was a victim of the supposed Smiley Face serial killer.
7) Brian was murdered by someone associated with 'Rockhouse', the band that played that night.

Brian did not make it out of the building alive that night:

8) Brian never left the building and wound up trapped in some hidden recess, his body still there.
9) Brian was in an accident that left him, unknown to anyone, entombed in the construction area.
10) Brian died in an accident in the construction area, and workers covered it up, disposed of body.

11) ?

Last edited:
Maybe there should be a running list of theories. Here's a start:

Brian made it out of the building alive that night:

1) Brian ran off to a new life in a new place with a new identity and has managed to evade detection.
2) Brian's companion that night, Clint, was involved in Brian's disappearance and presumed death.
3) Brian was murdered by strangers and his remains successfully hidden and disposed of.
4) Brian drowned in an area river, his body washed away.
5) Brian committed suicide, his remains never discovered.
6) Brian was a victim of the supposed Smiley Face serial killer.
7) Brian was murdered by someone associated with 'Rockhouse', the band that played that night.

Brian did not make it out of the building alive that night:

8) Brian never left the building and wound up trapped in some hidden recess, his body still there.
9) Brian was in an accident that left him, unknown to anyone, entombed in the construction area.
10) Brian died in an accident in the construction area, and workers covered it up, disposed of body.

11) ?
11) Brian died as as a result of foul play and was purposely buried in the construction area.

How much natural surveillance would there have been between the UTS and Brian's apartment on that night? As a student myself, at night I'd walk back from places that I might not any other time, but would on big nights out, because so many other students were heading in my direction anyway. I might not be walking along side them, but there'd be some off in front of me, and some behind... and I was pretty much safe as houses in that situation.
Any OSU students, past or present, know what that walk at that hour would have been like at the start of Spring Break?

I'm following the Tyler Davis case from Ohio and I hear Brian's name being brought up. I have never heard of this case in the past, wow is it mysterious! Has the construction site ever been checked for a body under the concrete? If that is even possible? I'm so sorry that his mother and father are both gone too.

I'm following the Tyler Davis case from Ohio and I hear Brian's name being brought up. I have never heard of this case in the past, wow is it mysterious! Has the construction site ever been checked for a body under the concrete? If that is even possible? I'm so sorry that his mother and father are both gone too.
The construction area in the building at the time Brian went missing, which is said to have been in a 'completely dug up' state at the time, was searched including with dogs in the wake of Brian's disappearance. Either Brian did not die in the construction area, or searchers missed his remains. I do not believe it was ever searched later after construction was completed. As far as I know, no one with a stake in the case such as a family member or OSU (owner of the building) or CPD has ever pushed to search under the areas within the construction area that were paved over after Brian went missing. That construction area is probably the only place on earth a new search of which would have more than astronomically lows odds of success. The case is slowly drifting into oblivion as memories fade, loved ones pass, and life moves on. Such a mysterious and melancholy tale...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members