OH OH - Brian Shaffer, 27, Columbus, 1 April 2006 - #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm following the Tyler Davis case from Ohio and I hear Brian's name being brought up. I have never heard of this case in the past, wow is it mysterious! Has the construction site ever been checked for a body under the concrete? If that is even possible? I'm so sorry that his mother and father are both gone too.

I was talking to a construction worker about this car just a week ago (I believe he is a concreter by trade). I was telling him all about the case from beginning to end, as he'd never heard of it before. As soon as I mentioned that there was a construction site there, he said "Well then that's where he is", with absolute conviction. And he had a few stories of his own about how quickly, easily, and silently things can go wrong.

I'm not quite as convinced, but the construction site theory is always high on my list. I still give just as much credence to the theory that Brian is still alive though. So there you go, the two theories heading my list are probably the two that cop the most flack.

I was talking to a construction worker about this car just a week ago (I believe he is a concreter by trade). I was telling him all about the case from beginning to end, as he'd never heard of it before. As soon as I mentioned that there was a construction site there, he said "Well then that's where he is", with absolute conviction. And he had a few stories of his own about how quickly, easily, and silently things can go wrong.

I'm not quite as convinced, but the construction site theory is always high on my list. I still give just as much credence to the theory that Brian is still alive though. So there you go, the two theories heading my list are probably the two that cop the most flack.
"Well then that's were he is" became my conviction within several hours of first hearing of and beginning to study this case around March of 2018. And that was a month or two before Sgt. Hurst was interviewed by ComeBack Podcast and not only stated that the construction area had been 'completely dug up' at the time (!) but also surmised that Brian could have and may well have entered the construction area (!) ... If, dear reader, it is hard for you to imagine how someone - even someone sober - might meet their demise in a dirt collapse, try googling the word-string 'trench collapse victim' and then select the 'images' option...

Last edited:
"Well then that's were he is" became my conviction within several hours of first hearing of and beginning to study this case around March of 2018. And that was a month or two before Sgt. Hurst was interviewed by ComeBack Podcast and not only stated that the construction area had been 'completely dug up' at the time (!) but also surmised that Brian could have and may well have entered the construction area (!) ... If it is hard for you to imagine how someone might meet their demise in a trench collapse, try googling the word-string 'trench collapse victim' and then select the 'images' option...

Brian being in the construction site is my top theory too but I learned about the case just yesterday. He could be just right there, all this time. It makes you want to have the search re-started right away.

"Well then that's were he is" became my conviction within several hours of first hearing of and beginning to study this case around March of 2018. And that was a month or two before Sgt. Hurst was interviewed by ComeBack Podcast and not only stated that the construction area had been 'completely dug up' at the time (!) but also surmised that Brian could have and may well have entered the construction area (!) ... If, dear reader, it is hard for you to imagine how someone - even someone sober - might meet their demise in a dirt collapse, try googling the word-string 'trench collapse victim' and then select the 'images' option...

Definitely not hard for me to imagine. The main thing I remember about first time I heard of this case, is the moment I just stopped and thought to myself "Hang on a sec... there was a construction site??".

It's difficult these days, to disappear and then taken on a new identity, but it does still happen. Those who have done it, and gotten away with it for any period of time, have been very clever about it. I still think it's possible, and that Brian would have been capable of it and had his reasons. It sounds a lot like investigators still think it's possible as well.

... "Hang on a sec... there was a construction site??"....
Yeah, I know. And then the next thought: "Hold on ... one patron seems not to have left the building that night, and it is the guy missing 13 years who was last seen in the building at 1am near entrance to construction area?! One heck of a coincidence.

My main prob with the ran off to Margaritaville theory, aside from the unlikelihood one could do so without leaving a single trace, is that it seems vastly unlikely Brian would have elected to kick off such a huge life change and radical plan whilst wasted. Brian looks at his watch, thinks OK, zero hour and then "Hey guys, I'm going to go talk to the band...". Poof! And why not go down the escalator like everyone else?

Last edited:
How to disappear, the planned in advance way and the abrupt way, very lengthy article fwiw..
https://www.skilledsurvival.com/how-to-disappear-completely/
"THE HOW TO DISAPPEAR – SHORT GAME

Destroy your pictures and avoid new ones.
It sounds drastic, but photos of you will be your own worst enemy"

"You weren’t murdered, you weren’t kidnapped – you chose to vanish.

It may seem counterintuitive but trust me, it will work in your favor. If the cops think you disappeared from some malicious or accidental incident, they will search harder for you.

If they get the sense that you left on purpose and went to great lengths to plan it they won’t search as hard."

"Search for babies who died the day you were born and contact the government requesting their birth certificate. He emphasizes that this is normal because people lose birth certificates all the time.

Now use that document to acquire a social security number, drivers license, and other personal documentation.

With that, move to a busy city, rent a small apartment and spend several months developing a short employment history. Mainly with temp jobs or construction gigs.

Then once that is established simply walk out the door and never return.

He calls this Pseudocide – or, faking your own death."

"If you are in the US, your best bet is south. And I’m not talking about Mexico.

While it may be a developing country, and it may even be “easy” to get to without an ID, Mexico is a lousy safe haven and is currently rather tumultuous.

Keep moving. Go to Central or South America. There are plenty of ideal towns, cities, and villages you can access down there.

If crossing the border is out of the question or outside the realm of possibility, travel as far as you can.

There are lots of isolated or busy locations that do not require a passport to get to, just be warned: it is usually easier to find someone on the run if they haven’t left their home country.

But whether you flee the country or hide amongst us, you must go somewhere people will not expect.

If you’ve always dreamed of visiting Jamaica, then definitely do not go hide there.

If your family is from South Africa, that’s off limits to you.

Find someplace unpredictable."

I am trying to learn about this case and I've read that maybe Brian's friend Clint went to Brian's apartment the next day or maybe he didn't. Any info or thoughts on this?

What does everyone here at Websleuths think? Did Brian die that night in 2006 somehow or is he alive today living a new life? I wonder what Brian's brother thinks after all this time.

If they get the sense that you left on purpose and went to great lengths to plan it they won’t search as hard.

There's been a few signs that that's what they think.

"Search for babies who died the day you were born and contact the government requesting their birth certificate. He emphasizes that this is normal because people lose birth certificates all the time.

I found this tip in the article a little weird... what's a year either side to a person who is taking on a new identity? I would have thought that the exact same birthday might become a red flag eventually.

But whether you flee the country or hide amongst us, you must go somewhere people will not expect.

If you’ve always dreamed of visiting Jamaica, then definitely do not go hide there.

If your family is from South Africa, that’s off limits to you.

Find someplace unpredictable."

If this train of thought were behind someone's well-planned disappearance, they might talk about "Margaritaville", get someone to make a post on their behalf about the Virgin Islands, plan a trip to Miami... and then head to Denmark.

I had never heard of a trench collapse. I googled "trench collapse victim", then googled "what is a trench collapse". Apparently, these things happen very frequently and are almost always fatal because the victim(s) is usually alone, without a spotter. Brian could very well be in that building, long since buried under a pile of dirt and no one from construction would've seen or known a thing about it. Despite protestations that the building was thoroughly searched during renovations, I believe the tunnel collapse theory is a fresh new idea that shouldn't be dismissed.

To those stating the construction theory, I was listening to True Crime podcast that was from this March & they said in talking with the band, that it was unlikely that he would have interacted with the construction area. I think because of where it was.

They also said that they all went out the back door, and there’s a camera there, and Brian wasn’t seen on that one either. Now remember that is what he told his friends he was going to go do, was talk to the band. But the band said no one talked with them.

I also found it interesting, as I never knew this, was that the girls he was seen on camera talking to, he was “aggressively hitting on them” they had quoted the girls. This surprised me as I know he was supposedly doing great with his gf.

The one thing I wonder is, have they ever tested the cameras? Meaning - walked out of both exits, as a crowd, or even slipping as far away from the camera view as possible, to see if they got missed? Then, maybe it would show the camera just missed him because of how he walked out - large crowd or out of range of the view slightly??

I had never heard of a trench collapse. I googled "trench collapse victim", then googled "what is a trench collapse". Apparently, these things happen very frequently and are almost always fatal because the victim(s) is usually alone, without a spotter. Brian could very well be in that building, long since buried under a pile of dirt and no one from construction would've seen or known a thing about it. Despite protestations that the building was thoroughly searched during renovations, I believe the tunnel collapse theory is a fresh new idea that shouldn't be dismissed.
But if he were trapped in a trench collapse in the contribution area, his remains would have likely been found when the trench was dug again. Holes and trenches would be there for a reason during construction and if one collapsed it would have to be re-dug before concrete or whatever was poured.

That's the problem - every theory has at least one issue with it.

Hello all, I have followed this mystery off and on over the years and it's drawing me in again.

In regard to the construction area... despite anyone saying it was "all dug up" it must be noted, as I'm sure it has, that it was reported that employees of UTS and others in the building frequently walked through the construction area, correct? ...and recent podcasts have clarified that construction was mostly finished?

Saying the area was hard to maneuver doesn't automatically mean there were deep trenches, etc, but rather that lots of construction equipment and interior building supplies were there. It's perfectly believable that someone might trip or fall in a construction area but they would be found. Also, the idea that there were deep trenches, deep enough to hide a body, is just an idea, right? There are no pictures or confirmation? ...and like Valiant mentions above, if those supposed trenches or holes had collapsed then they would have had to have been dug out again before construction continued.

It's also my understanding that by noon on the Monday after he went missing, that LE and loved ones began searching the UTS and spreading outward to check all areas, dumpsters, etc... and did it more than once.

Moving on... I've been thinking about Meredith's call to Brian's phone at 2:01am that night. It went straight to voicemail. Everyone talks about it like that was sudden but when is the last time that someone had called him on it prior and was it ringing then? Also, is it true that Brightan entered her number directly into his phone herself approx 1:55am?

Finally, the Hiliard phone ping. This to me is the strongest support for him making it out of the UTS that night, or at the very least his phone did. I understand that Cingular stated the phone may have been turned on OR it was a glitch, however; If it were just the fact that it rang for Alexis that would be one thing but that it apparently did so for several hours for everyone who called PLUS it actually pinged off a cell tower in Hilliard seems far too specific to be a glitch. A glitch might make it ring on the caller's end but I know of no way for a glitch to have created a cell phone pinging off of a tower a mere 14 miles away from where he went missing. Wherever Brian was in September of 2006, dead or alive, his phone seems to have been in Hilliard.

Finally, the Hiliard phone ping. This to me is the strongest support for him making it out of the UTS that night, or at the very least his phone did. I understand that Cingular stated the phone may have been turned on OR it was a glitch, however; If it were just the fact that it rang for Alexis that would be one thing but that it apparently did so for several hours for everyone who called PLUS it actually pinged off a cell tower in Hilliard seems far too specific to be a glitch. A glitch might make it ring on the caller's end but I know of no way for a glitch to have created a cell phone pinging off of a tower a mere 14 miles away from where he went missing. Wherever Brian was in September of 2006, dead or alive, his phone seems to have been in Hilliard.

I keep thinking how significant that ping is too. It seems like a strong indicator that Brian is alive. I've known of this case for less than a week and I've gone from "Brian is in that construction site! Please start the search again! He is right there!" To "I think Brian might be alive..." This case is a real puzzle. I found the youtube video linked a few posts above to be excellent. It's great to have a place with other people to discuss this mystery all these years later. Because really...WHERE is Brian?

In regard to the construction area... despite anyone saying it was "all dug up" it must be noted, as I'm sure it has, that it was reported that employees of UTS and others in the building frequently walked through the construction area, correct? ...and recent podcasts have clarified that construction was mostly finished?
It seems there are no images of the construction area. There are a few shots from outside, linked previously. The lead detective in the case, Sgt. Hurst, last year described the construction area - which he surmises Brian may well have entered - as having been 'dug up'. But no. He actually said 'completely dug up' (you can listen to the podcast in which he made that statement last year - there is no denying it). Who ya gonna believe on that point, the lead detective, who was there, or some web sleuths 13 years later? Me, I'll take Straight From the Horse's Mouth for $1000 Alex.

Last edited:
It seems there are no images of the construction area. There are a few shots from outside, linked previously. The lead detective in the case, Sgt. Hurst, last year described the construction area - which he surmises Brian may well have entered - as having been 'dug up'. But no. He actually said 'completely dug up' (you can listen to the podcast in which he made that statement last year - there is no denying it). Who ya gonna believe on that point, the lead detective, who was there, or some web sleuths 13 years later? Me, I'll take Straight From the Horse's Mouth for $1000 Alex.
And, it goes without saying, Sgt. Hurst's 'completely dug up' state is absolutely no where near a podcaster's 'mostly finished'. And there was still five months worth of work before Sunflower Market was able to open for biz on 9/7/2006.

I keep thinking how significant that ping is too. It seems like a strong indicator that Brian is alive. I've known of this case for less than a week and I've gone from "Brian is in that construction site! Please start the search again! He is right there!" To "I think Brian might be alive..." This case is a real puzzle. I found the youtube video linked a few posts above to be excellent. It's great to have a place with other people to discuss this mystery all these years later. Because really...WHERE is Brian?

I think the ping itself, sadly, is sort of "agnostic" as to whether he's alive or not. It really supports at least a couple different scenarios.

1: In the first one he's alive and for some reason was still in the area - or came back into the area for an unknown reason - 5 months later. He needed to turn that phone back on for something - but why? If you'd given up your life to start a new one, what would be on that phone that was so important?

Also, it's mentioned somewhere that Alexis kept paying his phone bill and calling the number for well over a year. So she must have been receiving the statements. She'd know if the phone had been used that night to call out or if it answered any other calls.

2: In the second scenario, Brian is dead but likely made it out of the building because his phone obviously did. Either the killer still had the phone and turned it on for some reason or someone else did. Earlier in this thread it's mentioned that e-Cycle, the device recycling service, was in Hilliard at this time. I checked the BBB and it does indeed show the company was founded in 2005. I wish we knew exactly what time the ping occurred and if it only did it once or for an extended period.

I think the ping itself, sadly, is sort of "agnostic" as to whether he's alive or not. It really supports at least a couple different scenarios.

1: In the first one he's alive and for some reason was still in the area - or came back into the area for an unknown reason - 5 months later. He needed to turn that phone back on for something - but why? If you'd given up your life to start a new one, what would be on that phone that was so important?

Also, it's mentioned somewhere that Alexis kept paying his phone bill and calling the number for well over a year. So she must have been receiving the statements. She'd know if the phone had been used that night to call out or if it answered any other calls.

2: In the second scenario, Brian is dead but likely made it out of the building because his phone obviously did. Either the killer still had the phone and turned it on for some reason or someone else did. Earlier in this thread it's mentioned that e-Cycle, the device recycling service, was in Hilliard at this time. I checked the BBB and it does indeed show the company was founded in 2005. I wish we knew exactly what time the ping occurred and if it only did it once or for an extended period.
Welcome to Ws. thanks for the interesting posts!
April 8 2007
One Year Later, Search Continues on For Brian Shaffer
"July and August passed with no new information, but a promising development happened in late September. Alexis called Brian's cell phone, just like she had been doing at least once a day since he'd been missing. On September 23, the phone rang for the first time before going to voice mail. Basically, all I know is that for a few hours a couple of weeks ago, Brian's cell phone was ringing before going to his voice mail for the first time in months. I kept calling it to hear it purely because it was one of the best sounds I have ever heard, even if no one picked up. His phone rang. That was good enough for me. It also scared the crap out of me, because I had no idea what I would say if a person answered it. I just wish I could have had the chance. I really wish I could get a straight story from someone on what happened and why because wondering where Brian is, is more than enough of a question to ask myself everyday without this one too.

Cingular, Brian's cell phone provider, offered two possible explanations. The most logical was a computer glitch that caused a dial tone to be heard. However, there was a possibility that Brian's phone was turned on and working for at least a short period of time in September. Sadly, Brian's phone did not have GPS capabilities and could not be located by Cingular."

https://melmagazine.com/en-us/story/a-guy-walks-into-a-bar-and-is-never-seen-again#.bgan0pmcm
"Alexis called Brian’s cell phone every evening before bed. It always went to voicemail, the same sequence of sounds night after night: static, message, beep, silence. Then, on a sticky Friday in September, six months after her boyfriend evaporated, it connected. The ringback tone hummed once, twice, then three times. For Alexis, it sounded like a symphony. “It scared the crap out of me,” she wrote on her MySpace. “I had no idea what I would say if a person answered it.” Brian’s phone pinged a tower in Hilliard, a suburb 14 miles northwest of central Columbus. It could have been a glitch, it could have meant nothing. Still, it suggested the incredible: Brian was alive."

Earlier in this thread it's mentioned that e-Cycle, the device recycling service, was in Hilliard at this time. I checked the BBB and it does indeed show the company was founded in 2005. I wish we knew exactly what time the ping occurred and if it only did it once or for an extended period.

I'm not aware that it has been confirmed that e-Cycle was located in Hilliard in 2005.

As to pinging, Sgt. Hurst addressed that in podcast that Brian's number rang, rather than going straight to VM, 'on several occasions'. Sgt. Hurst seemed comfortable with Cingular's conclusion that a glitch may have been the cause.

Prior recent post: "it was reported that employees of UTS and others in the building frequently walked through the construction area, correct? " Doubtful, based on Sgt. Hurst's 2018 podcast assertion that construction area was secured with 'chain-locked plywood doors', but that 'someone may have squeezed in or out...' Doesn't sound convenient to access, nor comfortable to walk through given 'completely dug up' and 'difficult to navigate, even sober' state.

To me, the questions needing answers are
1) Did Brian enter the construction area as Hurst seems to assert, did he die there in an accident, his remains still there?
2) Why did Alexis' father and Brian's brother both seem to suggest that they thought Clint had some knowledge of what happened to Brian the morning he disappeared (simply Clint's hiring an attorney, or something more substantive), and do they still feel that way?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member