OH OH - Brian Shaffer, 27, Columbus, 1 April 2006 - #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
If there is more to what Clint knows, he doesn't necessarily need to be a perpetrator, or in any way the cause of Brian's disappearance. If Brian purposely took off, and had some assistance in doing so, that could be something Clint has knowledge of.

That was worth watching. I'm particularly interested in the fact that when the question was asked "Do you feel that someone that has been interviewed in the past maybe withheld information?" Det. Tucker responded affirmatively. She didn't say "it's possible"... Det. Tucker actually does believe this, but just can't say publicly comment on who that person is.

I agree, that’s what stood out to me as well.

Both Brian's father and Alexis' father have said they believe Clint holds some answers....this makes me suspect something like drugs. Perhaps Clint and Brian occasionally used cocaine together--and maybe Brian took off to go find some, when whatever happened to Brian happened. Maybe he was heading into a sketchy neighborhood to purchase it. this would explain why he had a get together planned for his apartment after the bar closed...and also, this does NOT mean that Brian had a drug problem or was a frequent user. Many college students dabble in drugs, particularly around spring break when a girlfriend is out of town...

Both Brian's father and Alexis' father have said they believe Clint holds some answers....this makes me suspect something like drugs. Perhaps Clint and Brian occasionally used cocaine together--and maybe Brian took off to go find some, when whatever happened to Brian happened. Maybe he was heading into a sketchy neighborhood to purchase it. this would explain why he had a get together planned for his apartment after the bar closed...and also, this does NOT mean that Brian had a drug problem or was a frequent user. Many college students dabble in drugs, particularly around spring break when a girlfriend is out of town...
That they believe that doesn't mean anything. They're probably wrong.

That they believe that doesn't mean anything. They're probably wrong.
I'd love to know why Tom Waggoner pointed the finger at Clint way back when. Perhaps someone, ya know, some certain podcaster who resides in Ohio, might arrange to interview Mr. Waggoner....! Here he is with Alexis and an unrelated lady circa 2013
Tom-Waggoner-Alexis-Waggoner-Karen-mathison.jpg

Last edited:
I'm a relative newbie to this case - I've been aware of it for a couple of years (my first case on WS was Joey LaBute, and Brian was mentioned several times in those threads because of the same geography/circumstances) but I just started following Brian's case with this thread. Why was Clint suspected, other than he was present that night? Did he and Brian have a history of sometimes contentious friendship? Can anyone point me to a source that explains their backstory? TYIA for any answers.

I'm a relative newbie to this case - I've been aware of it for a couple of years (my first case on WS was Joey LaBute, and Brian was mentioned several times in those threads because of the same geography/circumstances) but I just started following Brian's case with this thread. Why was Clint suspected, other than he was present that night? Did he and Brian have a history of sometimes contentious friendship? Can anyone point me to a source that explains their backstory? TYIA for any answers.

I believe they were ex roommates and weren’t exactly friends anymore they would meet up to go bar hopping every once in a while. Clint said something regarding Brian being a ladies man and running his mouth when he was drunk. Then Clint lawyered up and never said anything again.

I'd love to know why Tom Waggoner pointed the finger at Clint way back when. Perhaps someone, ya know, some certain podcaster who resides in Ohio, might arrange to interview Mr. Waggoner....! Here he is with Alexis and an unrelated lady circa 2013
Tom-Waggoner-Alexis-Waggoner-Karen-mathison.jpg
I have spoke with Tom a few times. His opinion was formed based on Clint’s actions after Brian went missing. Tom believes Brian is deceased and his wife (Alexis’ Mother) believes Brian is alive. He has agreed to speak to me, but declined to do an episode of the podcast out of respect for Alexis and her family.

I have spoke with Tom a few times. His opinion was formed based on Clint’s actions after Brian went missing. Tom believes Brian is deceased and his wife (Alexis’ Mother) believes Brian is alive. He has agreed to speak to me, but declined to do an episode of the podcast out of respect for Alexis and her family.
I'm not aware that Clint did anything in the wake of Brian's disappearance that should arouse suspicion. As per Hurst, he cooperated with police and submitted to an interview. He spoke to the press. He hired a lawyer, but that is rational and not suspicious. He declined a lie detector test, but Hurst himself noted that lawyers typically advise their clients to decline. CPD forensics did its thing on Clint's vehicle and the home he and Meredith were house-sitting - no issues. He described Brian as a ladies man and noted that he tended to run his mouth when drunk, but there is no reason that Clint's having offered those opinions would arouse suspicion.

So, in your understanding, what specific actions or behavior of Clint did Mr. Waggoner single out as having lead Mr. Waggoner to state "The gist of my perspective on Clint Florence is that I think that basically all roads to making any progress on the case on Brian Shaffer lead through Clint Florence”? I'd be very interested to know what compelled Mr. Waggoner to utter that statement. Thanks.

Last edited:
I can't refresh my mind on this point, due to the podcast not being available at the moment... but wasn't there was an effort made to get Clint to answer five questions under oath? He and his lawyer had the questions in advance (maybe not long in advance, but none of the questions were going to be an unexpected surprise while under oath). And the lawyer got Clint out of that one.
I wouldn't take a lie detector either. But if I didn't know anymore about a crime/accident/disappearance than I was already telling LE, and therefore my answer to each of a set of questions, that I can view a copy of, was going to be "No" anyway... then I would willingly go through that process. It seems like such a painless and non-incriminating thing to do. It's possible that that refusal has had an impact on Mr Waggoner's opinion. I mean how could it not?
It's interesting that even members of the same family, who were close to the situation all that time, have differing opinions on what they think happened to Brian. There's obviously nothing that they're "in the know" about that would lead them all to the same opinion.

Really good hi-res footage of the trio on the escalators, don't seem re-used like many other I've seen, maybe CPD provided them with hard-copies from the original.

Interesting when they zoom in, you see Clint looks really wasted, he can hardly stand and leans over to support himself on the handrail. I wonder if he knew he had been to the Ugly Tuna that night, hadn't Brian vanished.

(I sure would have loved to put my hands on those case-files btw).

Last edited:
I can't refresh my mind on this point, due to the podcast not being available at the moment... but wasn't there was an effort made to get Clint to answer five questions under oath? He and his lawyer had the questions in advance (maybe not long in advance, but none of the questions were going to be an unexpected surprise while under oath). And the lawyer got Clint out of that one.
I wouldn't take a lie detector either. But if I didn't know anymore about a crime/accident/disappearance than I was already telling LE, and therefore my answer to each of a set of questions, that I can view a copy of, was going to be "No" anyway... then I would willingly go through that process. It seems like such a painless and non-incriminating thing to do. It's possible that that refusal has had an impact on Mr Waggoner's opinion. I mean how could it not?
It's interesting that even members of the same family, who were close to the situation all that time, have differing opinions on what they think happened to Brian. There's obviously nothing that they're "in the know" about that would lead them all to the same opinion.
Speaking for myself, I would never answer police questions or take a lie detector test under any circumstances. Cops have been known to try to make patsies out of people. I don't see refusing a lie detector test as suspicious.

Speaking for myself, I would never answer police questions or take a lie detector test under any circumstances. Cops have been known to try to make patsies out of people. I don't see refusing a lie detector test as suspicious.

Nor do I. The five questions under oath were nothing to do with a lie detector... and I believe that they were all things that, if Clint know nothing more, he would have just been able to honestly answer "No" to for each one. The fact that he got out of that, through his lawyer, suggests it's possible he knew he wouldn't have been able to answer "No" to all five questions.

I'm really sorry I can't elaborate, it was in the recent podcast. @Looking4Brian may be able to.

The podcast episodes are on youtube btw, @Looking4Brian made a great post about Clint's subpoena a while back, I looked for it the last 10 pages so it must be before that.

Oh! I thought the Brian Shaffer Dead or Alive podcast episodes were currently unavailable on all platforms. I will go listen to the one I'm thinking of, so that I know what the heck I'm talking about.

Oh! I thought the Brian Shaffer Dead or Alive podcast episodes were currently unavailable on all platforms. I will go listen to the one I'm thinking of, so that I know what the heck I'm talking about.

Her post was very informative too as she filled in with details of what some of the potential questions could have been, if you remember. Ill make a new try finding it if no one else bothers.

Her post was very informative too as she filled in with details of what some of the potential questions could have been, if you remember. Ill make a new try finding it if no one else bothers.

So I got this info from a post rather than the podcast itself? I'm listening to the podcast right now and I can't find the same info again (yet)... so yeah, I easily could have read it rather than heard it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SapphireGem