OH - Clermont County father lined up sons 3, 4, and 7, executed with rifle, mother injured trying to protect them, June 2023

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I always recommend the book "No Visible Bruises: What We Don't Know About Domestic Violence Can Kill Us"
There is detailed coverage about the calculations women with children have to make when they try to leave their abusive partner, esp. women with limited financial means. "Why doesn't she just leave?" Well, that means leaving a job, housing, the kids school -- everything that's settled in life. Does she have a car and gas money, savings set aside to put down a deposit on a new apartment?
Is there a DV shelter or family assistance close by?
This book also delves deeply into familicide.

Rachel Louise Snyder has also written a memoir titled "Women We Buried, Women We Burned" about losing her mother to cancer at age 8 and growing up with an abusive father.

I always recommend the book "No Visible Bruises: What We Don't Know About Domestic Violence Can Kill Us"
There is detailed coverage about the calculations women with children have to make when they try to leave their abusive partner, esp. women with limited financial means. "Why doesn't she just leave?" Well, that means leaving a job, housing, the kids school -- everything that's settled in life. Does she have a car and gas money, savings set aside to put down a deposit on a new apartment?

Rachel Louise Snyder has also written a memoir titled "Women We Buried, Women We Burned" about losing her mother to cancer at age 8 and growing up with an abusive father.
Thank you for this reminder and for the resources.

I wonder if the oldest kids, and possibly the 4 year old as well, were starting to stick up for mom. Children that age are developing a sense of justice and finding their voices. To an abusive man, it may seem especially threatening to see your own sons take up against you, especially if they adored him when they were younger, as boys tend to do with dads. That may have fueled rage towards them, in addition to this being a control tactic against her. Just my own speculation.

This whole post is so well written. “Living out some corrupt moral code of his own making.” Wow. Perfect.

That’s the nail on the head for me.

I’ve seen these guys. I’ve known them in litigation. You’ve expressed so beautifully what it is, IMO. It’s usually this defiant certainty that no woman is going to shame them or leave them. Often what I see is they will ruthlessly pursue custody in order to harm the ex. Not for love of the child.
As Pratchett so perfectly said, (paraphrasing a little, because I don't have the quote in front of me,) "It starts with treating people as things."

These family annihilators and abusers always see their partners and children as objects that belong to them, for them to pick up, put down, play with, or destroy as the fancy takes them, never as beings with their own sovereign rights and dreams, personalities and spirits. Just things, not people.

MOO
These types are often controlling, imo. Edited to add ( also very insecure, moo) Something triggered him in my opinion....

Oh, it's definitely hard for women to leave an abusive situation. I didn't want to be a downer but add to that list of 'how to' and you have some dv shelters that ask for a police report! There is no way to prove emotional abuse...Also it takes strength to leave an abusive situation. Poverty makes everything 100x worse and cuts off resources instead of opening more up..it's sad to see so many people (mostly women) suffer for a lack of resources.

As Pratchett so perfectly said, (paraphrasing a little, because I don't have the quote in front of me,) "It starts with treating people as things."

These family annihilators and abusers always see their partners and children as objects that belong to them, for them to pick up, put down, play with, or destroy as the fancy takes them, never as beings with their own sovereign rights and dreams, personalities and spirits. Just things, not people.

MOO
Is that who said that?? Did they also say that's when you lose empathy as well?

This video is under 10 minutes. At about time 2:58 he bangs his head against the wall, and an officer advised him not to do that. Agree it's interesting to see how a booking is done, but so difficult to watch this guy knowing what he's done. moo

Bodycam footage shows the Ohio dad accused of executing his three young children being booked in Clermont County jail on June 15. The video shows 32-year-old Chad Doerman banging his head against the wall just hours after being arrested for the murders. Doerman admits this isn’t the first time he was at the same jail. Prosecutors expressed their intent to seek the death penalty for Doerma …

This video is under 10 minutes. At about time 2:58 he bangs his head against the wall, and an officer advised him not to do that. Agree it's interesting to see how a booking is done, but so difficult to watch this guy knowing what he's done. moo

Bodycam footage shows the Ohio dad accused of executing his three young children being booked in Clermont County jail on June 15. The video shows 32-year-old Chad Doerman banging his head against the wall just hours after being arrested for the murders. Doerman admits this isn’t the first time he was at the same jail. Prosecutors expressed their intent to seek the death penalty for Doerma …

It looks to me like a response to whatever is said directly beforehand in the muted part of the footage, possibly a way to keep his temper in check and not react to whatever was said? Just me speculating.
My adult nephew has ADHD and will often bang his head on a hard surface to reset his anger and calm himself down.

Yeah, that's exactly what I wondered had happened (divorce talks). It has felt like to me, since the beginning, that he did that to hurt her, and in a BIG way. What a jerk (putting it nicely).

I just do not understand some people, and don't think I ever will.
They exist, tho. Imo His way of permanently stealing her Joy and Hope. Moo probably tried real hard to break her and couldn't so he did this awful thing.

The entire booking is on YT and it's interesting. Never seen a booking like it before, but I haven't seen many. Search YT for

CHAD DOERMAN NEW BODYCAM FOOTAGE BOOKED INTO JAIL​

The reason there are few videos of bookings is because jail booking areas are off limits to the news media because courts consider such videos to be highly prejudicial. Remember the video of Scott Peterson's booking? It was done at night and LE opened the blinds so the media outside the building could take video. His trial became a circus.

I wonder if the defense will use this to get his confession thrown out or the death penalty off the table. I sure hope they have him on suicide watch.

JMO

Oh, it's definitely hard for women to leave an abusive situation. I didn't want to be a downer but add to that list of 'how to' and you have some dv shelters that ask for a police report! There is no way to prove emotional abuse...Also it takes strength to leave an abusive situation. Poverty makes everything 100x worse and cuts off resources instead of opening more up..it's sad to see so many people (mostly women) suffer for a lack of resources.
BBM. It truly is sad because there are resources in every state that are free and they include hotlines. The police report is so the shelter can help the mother obtain an Emergency Order of Protection. A Police Chief advised my niece to take the police report with her when she went to Court. She got the EOP and it was extended for two years.

JMO

Agree with this. The jail booking on youtube which is about 20 minutes long....it is very interesting especially around the 10-11 minute mark where he turns to the wall and hits his head -- you see some emotions here.
Do you have a link to the full booking video as I cannot seem to find the footage. Thank you!

NVM ... should have read the rest of the posts as I see someone linked it in already. Thanks everyone for tracking this monster.

The reason there are few videos of bookings is because jail booking areas are off limits to the news media because courts consider such videos to be highly prejudicial. Remember the video of Scott Peterson's booking? It was done at night and LE opened the blinds so the media outside the building could take video. His trial became a circus.

I wonder if the defense will use this to get his confession thrown out or the death penalty off the table. I sure hope they have him on suicide watch.

JMO

AFAIK, he didn't confess. And no way is the release of that video grounds for dp to be taken off the table.

Prosecution seem intent on following this through to a death penalty sentence So unlikely they are offering to let him plead guilty to life without parole. So I guess his only chance is to plead not guilty and try for some sort of diminished responsibility. Guessing this might be around being under influence/addiction problems, problems with impulse control (ADHD), developmental concerns and upbringing.

I agree with all of you calling this out as an escalation of family violence due to a sense of losing control. I think he has probably made threats to his wife to do this, and then snapped at something that happened that day.

I did think he looked shocked and remorseful the first time I saw him at that very first court appearance. I do think it’s possible he feels this - as well as putting blame for his actions solely on his wife for provoking him.

Rest in Peace little boys.

I see something in this face that gives me the creeps- a small man with a complex. To me it seems this guy thinks he is a good actor, he thinks he is the master manipulator, tries to charm and lie wherever he goes… and bully those he can.

I of course do not know him, but I’ve met many angry little men who are adults by age only.
Someone in the family knew this guy was capable, and yet he had a gun in his home.
Why not call and let the cops know the guy has a gun!

He had already been to that jail because he fought with his father and tried to choke him- but his father dropped charges. To me- That is a RedFlag!

JMO

Thank you for this reminder and for the resources.

I wonder if the oldest kids, and possibly the 4 year old as well, were starting to stick up for mom. Children that age are developing a sense of justice and finding their voices. To an abusive man, it may seem especially threatening to see your own sons take up against you, especially if they adored him when they were younger, as boys tend to do with dads. That may have fueled rage towards them, in addition to this being a control tactic against her. Just my own speculation.

Yes, and the seven year old would have been in school.
Did his teachers see signs of abuse on him? If so, why did they not call CPS?

His family knew, anyone who has a hot head bully in their family knows that and has been dealing with his crap for decades.

JMO

I don't know, if I think, that such a monster would deserve something like a fair trial. He wasn't fair to his whole family for one second, it seems. In his mind, while planning murder (as he said himself), he wasn't fair over several months even. :(

He confessed in court. I'm pretty sure he's entitled to a fair trial.

JMO

From the quoted news link, the following was reported:

Despite his confession, Doerman did not enter a plea while in court Friday.

Also during the detention hearing, we further learned from David Gast, assistant Clermont County prosecutor, that not only did Doerman confess to murdering his children but that he also planned their murders.

Who hasn't wondered if a suspect confesses, why do they plead 'not guilty' in court?

I know that I have!

Referencing a case in Washington, I learned the first thing to understand is the difference between “innocent” and “not guilty.”

Not guilty can mean innocent – as people are presumed innocent until found guilty – but in essence, pleading not guilty sets into motion the process where attorneys can review the case. (Otherwise, once a plea is accepted, the next step is sentencing).

Generally, at the time of arraignment (where the defendant enters a plea), defense attorneys only have the charging document and/or probable cause statement and by pleading not guilty, it allows the defense time to collect discovery from the prosecution, and that can involve a lot of information (evidence against the defendant).

In fact, it’s not unusual for a judge to enter a not-guilty plea on behalf of a defendant, or in some cases, simply decline to accept a guilty plea at arraignment.

“Legally, you have the right to plead guilty at arraignment,” said Chief Deputy Prosecutor Chad Enright. “But it is a qualified right.”

In cases where a person is charged with aggravated first-degree murder, state law prevents them from pleading guilty for 30 days after arraignment, Weaver said.

The judge – whose job is to protect a defendant’s rights, lest the case be returned to their courtroom on appeal – has to make an independent determination that the plea is voluntary. They also have to make sure that a defendant understands the nature of the charges, possible consequences and that they are giving up their right to a trial and to appeal. Enright said at arraignment there usually hasn’t been enough time to accomplish all that.

Kitsap-Crime

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DomenAmaterasu
Back