GUILTY OH - Deanna Ballman, 23, pregnant, dies of heroin OD, Columbus, 31 July 2012

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I'm glad to hear there will be some Justice for Deanna and Mabel, and the Family.

As far as I'm concerned he murdered a young woman and a baby. He was a doctor who practiced medicine which scares me to even contemplate. He had already had other women to his house he scared. He had some kind of deviant compulsion to keep up the behavior.
I hope he gets the max with his plea. He was looking at 37 yrs. Can he still get that?

I believe so, unless there were some changes to the plea agreement I'm unaware of. Plus, the judge does have discretion to impose whatever sentence he feels is appropriate - he is not bound to sentence in the plea agreement, it's just a recommendation from both sides. Judge Whitney is very strict (but fair!) and he's a former prosecutor. I'm guessing that Salim will receive a long sentence, perhaps even more than the plea agreement recommends.

I don't believe for one minute this young woman was a prostitute. It's easy for the defense to say that now, to justify her being at the murderers home, because she can't defend herself.

Seeing his previous MO, he lured woman to his home with the lie of using them as a model. I am fairly confident that was what Deanna thought she was there for. Her mom said she was making ends meet by house cleaning. If this guy offered her $300 for a day of modeling, she probably thought she'd hit the jackpot. You certainly don't make that kind of money cleaning houses, at least here that I know of.

The defense first claimed she was a prostitute to support her drug habit. Although she had drugs in her system when she died, they said there was no evidence of a prolonged or whatever, drug use. It's subterfuge.

This is like spitting on the victims grave and it makes me angry.

JMHO
:(
fran

It's not just the defense saying this - the prosecution is saying it as well. Given that they have all the evidence, I believe them. Frankly, it's what I suspected from the beginning, given the facts that we know.

I don't believe for one minute this young woman was a prostitute. It's easy for the defense to say that now, to justify her being at the murderers home, because she can't defend herself.

Seeing his previous MO, he lured woman to his home with the lie of using them as a model. I am fairly confident that was what Deanna thought she was there for. Her mom said she was making ends meet by house cleaning. If this guy offered her $300 for a day of modeling, she probably thought she'd hit the jackpot. You certainly don't make that kind of money cleaning houses, at least here that I know of.

The defense first claimed she was a prostitute to support her drug habit. Although she had drugs in her system when she died, they said there was no evidence of a prolonged or whatever, drug use. It's subterfuge.

This is like spitting on the victims grave and it makes me angry.

JMHO
:(
fran

^ This!

My thoughts, exactly, Fran. They claim drug use to a/ make their client look less of a monster and b/ justify the accusation of 'prostitute' which is made to make the client look less of a monster.

Couldn't get more flat-out BS if you rolled a cow pie through a wringer, IMO.

Even if Deanna resorted to prostitution, she did not deserve to be murdered. I am not impressed with the prosecution right now. What is the point of dragging her through the mud now? ARGHHH.

Even if Deanna resorted to prostitution, she did not deserve to be murdered. I am not impressed with the prosecution right now. What is the point of dragging her through the mud now? ARGHHH.

I don't think it's dragging her through the mud - I think it's a smart tactic. It's best for them to control what information comes out and how it comes out, rather than leaving it to the defense. Their matter of fact statement, although probably terribly painful for her family, is far better in the long run than letting the defense paint its own picture of Deanna.

Even if she was a drug-addicted prostitute, she didn't deserve to be murdered and neither did that little baby. By making a low key, matter of fact statement that they did, the prosecution keeps the focus on Salim and what he did, rather than letting the defense craft its own narrative in the media.

waitwhat?? I totally read that wrong.. it's the -prosecution- calling Deanna a drug addicted prostitute? :confused:

IIRC, Deanna's mother told the media long ago that her daughter -used to- take drugs, but was entirely clean for some time prior to her death. And the lack of evidence indicating habitual drug use supports this statement. And she was 9 months preggers!

So wth... the victim's background should have --nothing to do-- with the case, then!

:scared: Sorry, I just find that quite upsetting. :(

Speaking in general terms:

The defense has loved to use these tactics for years, to try and insinuate victims are somewhat responsible for the criminal actions of others. Unfortunately, it has worked in cases in the past even though logically it makes no sense.

Whether a person uses drugs or engages in prostitution is immaterial to the fact that a perpetrator commits a crime like this. A perpetrator may use drugs or prostitution as a way to lure someone. Even if drugs or prostitution were eliminated or didn't exist, the fact is, a predator will find some way that will work to carry out their crime.

If the victim was using drugs or engaging in prostitution, then it is what it is and will come out in court. It should have no bearing though on the sentencing of the criminal.

It would be my hope that some day, these victim blaming tactics that are used in court are able to be seen by all, as just what they are, illogical and have no influence what so ever in the system.

At this point, I won't even get into the damage that is caused by victim blaming. I could right a book on that.

He's the one who killed another human being and a unborn baby. One thing I'm sure about is she didn't go there to die.

Views are changing in some states.

Calif. prostitutes may gain victim compensation
http://news.yahoo.com/calif-prostitutes-may-gain-victim-153101419.html

"Prostitution is a crime, but it's a minor one," said Kent Scheidegger, the foundation's legal director. "If someone's been a victim of a major crime like rape or battery, it shouldn't disqualify them from restitution."

http://hosted2.ap.org/CAANR/cbf3767...pensation/id-92c0280335b84439affb68cc01ec088b

"The current system feeds the perception that sex workers are "a substandard type of victim," said Maxine Doogan, who described herself as a working prostitute and an organizer for the Erotic Service Providers Union in San Francisco. "It institutionalizes sexual assaults against our class of worker."

It seems strange that the prosecutor would have done such a thing, but is he did, perhaps he knew that others could come forward and he'd be held accountable for withholding information.

Regardless, it doesn't explain at all what he tried to do to her or how she ended up naked in the back seat of a car dead. :(

I have words.

I hope he gets the full 37 yrs. Why do we have to look at how good he was to be a doctor before, if we do, it only makes us think he should have been a better human being and not resorted to his craigslist hobby. MOO, he was slowly approaching a train wreck of his own making. He filmed it! He had drugs and needles. A mother and her unborn child are gone. He wants leniency.

Say the defense is right and Salim did only want sex with her. He still didn't help her when she overdosed, and then he dumped her body. That's pretty callous - and his history as a doctor makes it worse, not better. And this is assuming a pro-defense position.

Like I've mentioned before, the judge in this case is a former prosecutor who is very strict. I doubt they will get very far with this. Even if you assume everything in favor of Salim, you still have a very damning set of facts that should put him away for a long time.

I'm a little confused. They want us to believe she went there for a $300.00 sexual encounter and yet the good doctor is charged with rape. I don't get it. If she willing went there for sex why did he have to rape her? Also what is not elaborated on is disturbing. What on earth were the grotesque things he did to her body when she was incapacitated and that he filmed? I also question his ability as a doctor. He would know how much heroin to give before inducing an over dose. It is a good thing he was found out before he killed someone in his capacity as a doctor or maybe he did. Wonder if there are any unexplained deaths where he has been working as a doctor. He is one sick individual . Then there are other girls her lured to his home. Drug effected prostitutes. Have any prostitutes gone missing in this area? Because no one seems to investigate when it is a prostitute and because they move around they don't have anyone to report them as missing. I can't believe this doctor with his perversion has at the age of 44 just committed his first offence. MOO ?

DELAWARE, Ohio - An ex-Ohio doctor convicted of raping an expectant mother and causing her death through a fatal heroin overdose has appealed his 36-year prison sentence.

A judge had ordered that Ali Salim serve his multiple sentences one after the other, with the judge calling the crime the worst he had ever seen.

Salim's attorney filed the appeal in Delaware County court Tuesday without explaining the reason for the appeal.

Delaware County judge Duncan Whitney sentenced Salim last month, fined him $70,000 and labeled him a sex offender.

Salim pleaded guilty last year to involuntary manslaughter in the deaths of Deanna Ballman and her nearly full-term child.

Authorities say the 23-year-old Ballman answered Salim's online ad soliciting sex after turning to prostitution to support herself and her two young children.

http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/2014/01/14/oh--pregnant-woman-heroin-homicide.html

This isn't going to get him very far. :facepalm:

I'm a little confused. They want us to believe she went there for a $300.00 sexual encounter and yet the good doctor is charged with rape. I don't get it. If she willing went there for sex why did he have to rape her? Also what is not elaborated on is disturbing. What on earth were the grotesque things he did to her body when she was incapacitated and that he filmed? I also question his ability as a doctor. He would know how much heroin to give before inducing an over dose. It is a good thing he was found out before he killed someone in his capacity as a doctor or maybe he did. Wonder if there are any unexplained deaths where he has been working as a doctor. He is one sick individual . Then there are other girls her lured to his home. Drug effected prostitutes. Have any prostitutes gone missing in this area? Because no one seems to investigate when it is a prostitute and because they move around they don't have anyone to report them as missing. I can't believe this doctor with his perversion has at the age of 44 just committed his first offence. MOO ?

Good post!

Was he charged with rape because she was incapacitated making the sex nonconsensual?

Craigslist is so creepy. It is very hard to track someone from there. I was able to track a couple creepy people through info they put in their adds in the jobs section. (they were stupid enough to list their phone numbers) I filed police reports but was told there was nothing that can be done until they actually harm someone. I contacted ones employer, because he was using his work number.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Foothillbilly
Back