GUILTY OH - Elaina Steinfurth, 17 months, Toledo, 2 Jun 2013 - #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
FerretMommy and CherubCollector.

Could you please pass on my heartfelt thanks to TJ for letting Elaina's service be posted on fb so that I, along with thousands of others who have hoped and prayed along side of him, were able to share in such a special ceremony.

I cried a thousand tears watching the proceedings and am in awe of you all.

If you had told me 3 months ago that it was possible to grieve for a complete stranger I would have questioned your thinking. But here I sit, grieving for Elaina, and for the loss and torment your family has experienced.

I hope that you continue to feel the love and support of many, many people and are able to find comfort in each other and your beautiful memories of Elaina.

Eulogy for Baby Elaina...

http://http://youtu.be/BCBrBLz3ISM

via the Family Facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/HelpFindElainaSteinfurth?filter=1

Finding it difficult as the sun rises this morning to reconcile my feelings. I know that Baby Elaina is free from all pain now, but it didn't have to be this way.

As we await word from the ME, I wish her amazing family the strength they will need. I have no doubt they have what it takes to ensure Justice for Elaina will come to fruition. Their Beautiful Angel will be with them always.

Hopefully this week some new charges will come.
I'm hoping LE has been prepared and was giving ELAINA
her own moment :)

They have the main suspects in custody , so really no
rush in handing out new charges since they're stuck inside.
That is one hope. The other is that inch by inch, this family
can heal. There will never be a normal again but tiny specks
of sunlight and joy can get through to them again :)

Hopefully they are able to get a COD. Praying that all guilty pay dearly!!

We are still here FM! We're not going anywhere until these creeps face justice !
We are here, checking in every day, thinking of your family and praying for
long prison terms . We are here :)

BBM. I base my opinion on the fact that the child is dead. I base my opinion on the fact that the mother has not been charged with murder. I've seen no links to support your speculation. The child's mother may very well be a battered woman. I'm not going to "pile on" and blame her at this point. JMO

Baby Elaina Jade Steinfurth was a beautiful child whose life was just beginning. Like every child, Elaina deserved to be protected, to be cared for, and to be loved. Elaina fought hard to walk. Elaina worked hard to talk. This lovely, brave, little girl had a name. She will not be depersonalized or in any way reduced to a nameless cypher when someone refers to her as "the child". Over the last three months, thousands of people have come to know just who Elaina was. They know her name and believe that Elaina Steinfurth deserves justice.

You say, Mybelle, that you base your opinion that the grandparents didn't try to keep Elaina in a better environment "on the fact that the child is dead". First of all, they would have had to know that AS planned to take them to an unsuitable residence. CC confirmed that TJ agreed AS could have time with their two daughters "with the promise that she would not take them to SK's. They were supposed to stay at RS's." Although other people offered homes in which she could stay, and against the advice of RS and MS, AS broke her promise to TJ, and took her daughters to SK's home. CC has also confirmed that AS had previously approached TJ about giving up her claim to custody of their two daughters since she could not properly look after them. However, until AS handed TJ the paperwork, AS and TJ held joint custody of their children. In other words AS was still responsible for the well being of her children while they were under her control. The only grandparent who had any knowledge that AS had broken her agreement with TJ, and was planning to take her children to an unsuitable environment was RS. The other grandparents would have assumed, as did TJ, that the children were in a suitable environment with RS.

Elaina's death came about, not because of the actions or neglect of her grandparents. By her own admission, AS did not look after her baby properly. On June 12, 2013, a document was filed in Toledo Municipal Court that states: "Angela J. Steinfurth did violate a duty of care, protection and support with respect to her minor child (information here redacted) 18 months of age. Angela J. Steinfurth did admit to law enforcement officers that she was aware that her minor child had sustained serious physical injury and that her minor child required medical treatment. Angela J. Steinfurth further admitted that she failed to ensure that her minor child received the necessary medical treatment for said injury." This information suggests that Elaina's injuries to were treatable, and, that if she had received the proper medical attention in a timely manner, Elaina would still be alive. The person responsible for obtaining the medical treatment was the parent who had custody of Elaina at that time and who knew about Elain'as injuries is AS. Elaina had received those injuries from someone who has yet to be named by LE some time after leaving TJ's care. This little girl who had to have therapy so she could learn to walk, could not possibly defend herself against someone who had attained his or her physical maturity. (http://toledoblade.typepad.com/ridealong/2013/06/when-all-you-can-do-is-wait-and-watch.html) (AS accused SK of hurting Elaina. http://www.northwestohio.com/news/story.aspx?id=909305#.Ukp6TeDPbtU) AS's only job that weekend was to protect and nurture her children while she had them. By her own admission, SHE DID NEITHER.

You further state that you base your opinion "on the fact that the mother has not been charged with murder." I haven't accused AS of murder, but, IMO, AS made choices that ultimately led to the death of Baby Elaina. I think that when a woman chooses to take her children into a chaotic environment (as shown in photographs of the room in which Elaina was "seen", http://www.hlntv.com/video/2013/06/19/video-shows-house-where-elaina-was-last-seen), she bears the responsibility for what happens to her children. It appears, IMO, that AS made no provisions regarding the safety of her children while they were in SK's house. AS did not inform TJ about Elaina's injuries or about where she had taken the children. Although she may or may not have injured Elaina herself, AS had the responsibility to take her daughter for treatment as soon as SHE knew Elaina was hurt, and she did not. (http://www.toledoblade.com/Police-Fire/2013/06/14/Mom-accused-of-not-getting-help.html) These actions by AS placed Elaina in a deadly situation.

ELAINA was injured, not AS! ELAINA was one of the victims in that house. IMO, there was another victim, and it was not AS. The other victim, IMO, was KS because she was, IIRC, quite possibly in the room where her baby sister lay dying from lack of care. Being held accountable by LE for the results of her choices does not make AS a victim. Your assertion that AS might be a battered woman might be true, although it seems highly doubtful. However, RS has a different times claimed that unnamed people threatened AS that she would be next if she told LE about the crime. (http://www.hlntv.com/article/2013/06/18/baby-elainas-dad-recalls-day-she-disappeared) That makes no sense to me. When AS was in the protective custody of LE, and, therefore, safe from retribution from these people (if they existed), she could have been more forthcoming about the circumstances surrounding Elaina's injuries and death. Instead, she chose to lie to her cellmate and fabricate a story about wrapping Elaina in a blanket and throwing her body into the river. (http://www.northwestohio.com/news/story.aspx?id=912670#.UkqISeDPbtU)

Contributing to the death of a baby may not be murder, but, if I understand the terms correctly, it may still be considered a homicide. On September 19th, the NG show focused on this case. Dr. Bill Monion, M.D., Medical Examiner, Burlington County, NJ was asked to comment on how he would determine the COD if he was examining the skeletal remains of Elaina. "If I had this case," he responded, "I would rule it a homicide because I have no other reason to believe why this child died. There's no other history of severe disease..nothing to suggest this child had any congenital defects that would cause its death." (Homicide refers to the lawful or unlawful killing of another human being.) Voluntary manslaughter, involuntary manslaughter, reckless homicide, negligent homicide, vehicular homicide have specific definitions just as aggravated murder and murder do. Endangering a child, putting a child in harm's way, is, IMO, a contributing factor in a child's death. Although AS had been charged with child endangerment, that charge was dropped. She is currently in jail awaiting trial on an obstruction of justice charge although it is possible that this and/or other charges may also be brought against her in the future.

For example, permitting child abuse is also a felony offence. An acceptable defence would be that a person took timely and reasonable steps to obtain aid. Since AS did not obtain any aid, and, in fact, prevented aid from being given to her daughter, she could not use that particular defence should she be charged in this regard. As well, in Ohio abuse of a human corpse is also an offence. My guess is that it's possible that putting a baby's corpse into a box and hiding it in garbage, not allowing that baby to receive a proper burial, would outrage both family and community sensibilities--and AS could certainly be charged with this offence too. Covering up a crime, lying to police, lying to family members, lying to the community at large may or may not bring charges from LE, but they definitely have consequences. AS may even have gone so far as manufacturing evidence to keep LE on a wild goose chase. (http://toledoblade.typepad.com/ridealong/2013/06/when-all-you-can-do-is-wait-and-watch.html)

People present differing opinions and theories about cases in Websleuths's discussion threads. Sometimes other posters agree with a particular theory, and sometimes they don't. The piling on you mention, may simply mean that, on this thread, many people have come to similar conclusions or are asking similar questions about this case. Differing opinions about several aspects on this case have been posted on all seven threads. Judging from the disagreements still being posted regarding the CA case and the JBR case, differing opinions on this case may be posted for some time to come.

We are one day closer to finding Justice for Elaina.

If I have misrepresented any facts or actions in this post, it was unintentional. Please let me know so that I can make necessary corrections ASAP. The opinions expressed are my own. Mods, please snip as needed if I've broken any rules in this post.

Absolutely phenomenal response!!!!!!! Well done on representing the situation exactly as it presents.

Justice for Elaina.

Baby Elaina Jade Steinfurth was a beautiful child whose life was just beginning. Like every child, Elaina deserved to be protected, to be cared for, and to be loved. Elaina fought hard to walk. Elaina worked hard to talk. This lovely, brave, little girl had a name. She will not be depersonalized or in any way reduced to a nameless cypher when someone refers to her as "the child". Over the last three months, thousands of people have come to know just who Elaina was. They know her name and believe that Elaina Steinfurth deserves justice.

You say, Mybelle, that you base your opinion that the grandparents didn't try to keep Elaina in a better environment "on the fact that the child is dead". First of all, they would have had to know that AS planned to take them to an unsuitable residence. CC confirmed that TJ agreed AS could have time with their two daughters "with the promise that she would not take them to SK's. They were supposed to stay at RS's." Although other people offered homes in which she could stay, and against the advice of RS and MS, AS broke her promise to TJ, and took her daughters to SK's home. CC has also confirmed that AS had previously approached TJ about giving up her claim to custody of their two daughters since she could not properly look after them. However, until AS handed TJ the paperwork, AS and TJ held joint custody of their children. In other words AS was still responsible for the well being of her children while they were under her control. The only grandparent who had any knowledge that AS had broken her agreement with TJ, and was planning to take her children to an unsuitable environment was RS. The other grandparents would have assumed, as did TJ, that the children were in a suitable environment with RS.

Elaina's death came about, not because of the actions or neglect of her grandparents. By her own admission, AS did not look after her baby properly. On June 12, 2013, a document was filed in Toledo Municipal Court that states: "Angela J. Steinfurth did violate a duty of care, protection and support with respect to her minor child (information here redacted) 18 months of age. Angela J. Steinfurth did admit to law enforcement officers that she was aware that her minor child had sustained serious physical injury and that her minor child required medical treatment. Angela J. Steinfurth further admitted that she failed to ensure that her minor child received the necessary medical treatment for said injury." This information suggests that Elaina's injuries to were treatable, and, that if she had received the proper medical attention in a timely manner, Elaina would still be alive. The person responsible for obtaining the medical treatment was the parent who had custody of Elaina at that time and who knew about Elain'as injuries is AS. Elaina had received those injuries from someone who has yet to be named by LE some time after leaving TJ's care. This little girl who had to have therapy so she could learn to walk, could not possibly defend herself against someone who had attained his or her physical maturity. (http://toledoblade.typepad.com/ridealong/2013/06/when-all-you-can-do-is-wait-and-watch.html) (AS accused SK of hurting Elaina. http://www.northwestohio.com/news/story.aspx?id=909305#.Ukp6TeDPbtU) AS's only job that weekend was to protect and nurture her children while she had them. By her own admission, SHE DID NEITHER.

You further state that you base your opinion "on the fact that the mother has not been charged with murder." I haven't accused AS of murder, but, IMO, AS made choices that ultimately led to the death of Baby Elaina. I think that when a woman chooses to take her children into a chaotic environment (as shown in photographs of the room in which Elaina was "seen", http://www.hlntv.com/video/2013/06/19/video-shows-house-where-elaina-was-last-seen), she bears the responsibility for what happens to her children. It appears, IMO, that AS made no provisions regarding the safety of her children while they were in SK's house. AS did not inform TJ about Elaina's injuries or about where she had taken the children. Although she may or may not have injured Elaina herself, AS had the responsibility to take her daughter for treatment as soon as SHE knew Elaina was hurt, and she did not. (http://www.toledoblade.com/Police-Fire/2013/06/14/Mom-accused-of-not-getting-help.html) These actions by AS placed Elaina in a deadly situation.

ELAINA was injured, not AS! ELAINA was one of the victims in that house. IMO, there was another victim, and it was not AS. The other victim, IMO, was KS because she was, IIRC, quite possibly in the room where her baby sister lay dying from lack of care. Being held accountable by LE for the results of her choices does not make AS a victim. Your assertion that AS might be a battered woman might be true, although it seems highly doubtful. However, RS has a different times claimed that unnamed people threatened AS that she would be next if she told LE about the crime. (http://www.hlntv.com/article/2013/06/18/baby-elainas-dad-recalls-day-she-disappeared) That makes no sense to me. When AS was in the protective custody of LE, and, therefore, safe from retribution from these people (if they existed), she could have been more forthcoming about the circumstances surrounding Elaina's injuries and death. Instead, she chose to lie to her cellmate and fabricate a story about wrapping Elaina in a blanket and throwing her body into the river. (http://www.northwestohio.com/news/story.aspx?id=912670#.UkqISeDPbtU)

Contributing to the death of a baby may not be murder, but, if I understand the terms correctly, it may still be considered a homicide. On September 19th, the NG show focused on this case. Dr. Bill Monion, M.D., Medical Examiner, Burlington County, NJ was asked to comment on how he would determine the COD if he was examining the skeletal remains of Elaina. "If I had this case," he responded, "I would rule it a homicide because I have no other reason to believe why this child died. There's no other history of severe disease..nothing to suggest this child had any congenital defects that would cause its death." (Homicide refers to the lawful or unlawful killing of another human being.) Voluntary manslaughter, involuntary manslaughter, reckless homicide, negligent homicide, vehicular homicide have specific definitions just as aggravated murder and murder do. Endangering a child, putting a child in harm's way, is, IMO, a contributing factor in a child's death. Although AS had been charged with child endangerment, that charge was dropped. She is currently in jail awaiting trial on an obstruction of justice charge although it is possible that this and/or other charges may also be brought against her in the future.

For example, permitting child abuse is also a felony offence. An acceptable defence would be that a person took timely and reasonable steps to obtain aid. Since AS did not obtain any aid, and, in fact, prevented aid from being given to her daughter, she could not use that particular defence should she be charged in this regard. As well, in Ohio abuse of a human corpse is also an offence. My guess is that it's possible that putting a baby's corpse into a box and hiding it in garbage, not allowing that baby to receive a proper burial, would outrage both family and community sensibilities--and AS could certainly be charged with this offence too. Covering up a crime, lying to police, lying to family members, lying to the community at large may or may not bring charges from LE, but they definitely have consequences. AS may even have gone so far as manufacturing evidence to keep LE on a wild goose chase. (http://toledoblade.typepad.com/ridealong/2013/06/when-all-you-can-do-is-wait-and-watch.html)

People present differing opinions and theories about cases in Websleuths's discussion threads. Sometimes other posters agree with a particular theory, and sometimes they don't. The piling on you mention, may simply mean that, on this thread, many people have come to similar conclusions or are asking similar questions about this case. Differing opinions about several aspects on this case have been posted on all seven threads. Judging from the disagreements still being posted regarding the CA case and the JBR case, differing opinions on this case may be posted for some time to come.

If I have misrepresented any facts or actions in this post, it was unintentional. Please let me know so that I can make necessary corrections ASAP. The opinions expressed are my own. Mods, please snip as needed if I've broken any rules in this post.

How you put this so eloquently, I have no idea... But kudos to you

Baby Elaina, justice is coming sweetheart thousands of people will make sure you life was not in vain... Sleep peacefully sweetheart x x

Wendiesan, what a stellar post to awaken to on Elaina's behalf. Your eloquence is beyond measure - truly!

:goldstar: :goldstar: :goldstar: :goldstar: :Crown: :goldstar: :goldstar::goldstar: :goldstar:

:thewave:

Wendiesan, WOW!!!
:goodpost::woot::jumping:

Absolutely phenomenal response!!!!!!! Well done on representing the situation exactly as it presents.

Justice for Elaina.

---------
Hi, just sneaking in here to say I am hopeful that something will come out in the toxicology report. Mayb3 since she was inside something will be present. This poor baby never had a chance. Now she dances with Angels.xox.

I can't wait too see a response too this. :) Thank you for making my day!

:yourock:

Just a quick question for anyone who knows the answer. Let's pretend Angela has a battered woman syndrome... Who is the man who battered her? TJ broke up with her months prior to and she and SK were broken up as well. So she's single at the time of Elaina's death.

She was NOT a battered woman, at least not by TJ. Don't know about SK.

regardless that is no excuse to either murder your child or watch it happen.

regardless that is no excuse to either murder your child or watch it happen.

Agreed, I also think the mental illness card gets played too much as well..

I personally suffer from borderline personality disorder which is what a lot people are using as an excuse when they murder / take part in murdering their child..

As trying as my 2 boys are (they are 1 & 2) I WOULD never hurt them BPD sufferers are dangerous yes, we don't think like "normal people" do.. The key is to managing your condition and making sure you keep to what your therapist suggests...

I personally suffer from borderline personality disorder which is what a lot people are using as an excuse when they murder / take part in murdering their child..

As trying as my 2 boys are (they are 1 & 2) I WOULD never hurt them BPD sufferers are dangerous yes, we don't think like "normal people" do.. The key is to managing your condition and making sure you keep to what your therapist suggests...

Good for you Ceecee ! :)

It's a shame when some use their mental / emotional problems as an excuse for their bad behavior when many of us who have those same conditions know that you can live life and still CONTROL your behavior. Thinking and behavior are two different things.
If I had to guess , I would say narcotics played a much bigger role than any type of emotional distress or disorder. Jmoo Of course.

Thanks for being candid about something so very personal.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FastRayne
Back