OH OH - Harley Dilly, 14, walking to Port Clinton High School, 20 Dec 2019 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Harley in the puffer coat

- no way is anyone convincing me he’s wearing that in the video still.
I can see this in the video. Look at the shoes, that look either like high-tops or boots! The way he is lifting up his legs. I also think that the height given in the description is off. I wonder if he is not more like 5'2", more like a typical 14 year old. He does not look short to me in either of the pictures.

i would think those laptops would work with home or other wifi sources so it's possible he turned on his phones cellular hotspot and connected to that thus bypassing any school firewall. but then it's also possible the school doesn't have much of a firewall.

I think it is most likely that the school doesn't have that great of firewall. This video was the end of last year when he was still in middle school. Most middle schools don't allow students to take school laptops home. Therefore, they don't need to be able to pair with other wireless networks. If they have an IT department worth their salt they have set up the laptops to only connect to their internal network. Schools are required by the Feds to have web filtering. You can see in the video that all the students in the classroom are using laptops; which leads me to believe he was using a classroom computer. You can hear students around him saying "he is streaming."

Most schools, again if they have a competent IT department, disable webcams. It is just SOP. But they must also have a very weak firewall. Harley seems to be very tech savvy and I am sure he figured out how to break through a very weak firewall.

So much for the school computers only being used for school related work. Somehow he figured out how to hack through the school's firewall and live stream.
I'm not even sure how much the firewalls block in schools. I know that a lot of schools now use the Google apps for school work like Google Docs and Google Sheets so I'm sure they had use of access to YouTube. Sad but true. I wonder if there's someone on the boards that work in the school system that could tell us their policies. And remember he's in high school so I'm sure they're more lenient.

This is why it's important to know if he did make it to school or even had a laptop or was he able to take his laptop home or do they only get to use them in school. If he did get to school, he'd be able to communicate with anyone and make arrangements of running away or meeting someone.

Harley Dilly Update, Tuesday, January 7th, 2020

Good Afternoon Friends,

Unfortunately, we have NO new information that I am able to share with you this morning regarding Harley.

We appreciate all the tips, emails and phone calls that we have been receiving.

If any searches are planned, please don’t trespass on private property, unless you have permission from the owner. If you should come across something suspicious, please contact our agency at (419) 734-3121.

Information as of December 31st, 2019;

• I would like to advise you that through the entire investigation of the disappearance of Harley Dilly, the family has fully cooperated and we have no reason to believe they are involved.

• Our investigators continue to research the records that we have been able to obtain thus far.

• The investigation is being conducted by federal, state and local law enforcement partners.

• Here’s what I need from you. I need the investigation to be allowed to continue uninterrupted.

• Please don’t spread rumors, rather, if you have information about this case, please contact the

Port Clinton Police Department (419) 734-3121

National Center for Missing and Exploited Children (800) 843-5678.

• I am asking our residents to continue to help by sharing flyers in person and on social media.

• Please allow the professionals involved in this case to continue to do their job - we are working tirelessly and will continue to do so until Harley is brought home and reunited with his family.

• Briefing on this case has shifted from a daily in-person briefing to information solely provided via the Port Clinton Police Department Facebook page.

• If there is a major case announcement, we will notify the press via our Facebook page with appropriate lead time and share information about where and when the briefing will be held.

• This shift in briefing allows us to continue focusing resources on the case and should not be construed otherwise - we appreciate the community’s outpouring of support and sharing Harley’s picture and the tip line information.

We currently have the following agencies at our office or have been involved with this investigation;

Black Swamp Search & Rescue
Clermont County Sheriff's Office
Delaware County Sheriff’s Office
Federal Bureau of Investigation
Grant County Sheriff’s Office (Kentucky)
Kentucky Search Dog Association
National Center for Missing & Exploited Children
Ohio Bureau of Criminal Investigation
Ohio Division of Natural Resources
Ohio State Highway Patrol
Ottawa County Drug Task Force
Ottawa County Prosecutors Office
Ottawa County Sheriff’s Office
Ottawa County Sheriff’s Office Underwater Rescue and Recovery Team
Port Clinton Fire and Rescue
Shawnee Hills Police Department
Texas EquuSearch
United States Customs and Border Protection
United States Marshals Service

Chief Hickman
Port Clinton Police Department

Good Afternoon Friends,

Unfortunately, we have NO new information that I am able to share with you this morning regarding Harley.

If any searches are planned, please don’t trespass on private property, unless you have permission from the owner. If you should come across something suspicious, please contact our agency at (419) 734-3121.

• I would like to advise you that through the entire investigation of the disappearance of Harley Dilly, the family has fully cooperated and we have no reason to believe they are involved.

• Our investigators continue to research the records that we have been able to obtain thus far.

• The investigation is being conducted by federal, state and local law enforcement partners.

• Here’s what I need from you. I need the investigation to be allowed to continue uninterrupted.

• Please don’t spread rumors, rather, if you have information about this case, please contact the

• I am asking our residents to continue to help by sharing flyers in person and on social media.

• Please allow the professionals involved in this case to continue to do their job - we are working tirelessly and will continue to do so until Harley is brought home and reunited with his family.

• Briefing on this case has shifted from a daily in-person briefing to information solely provided via the Port Clinton Police Department Facebook page.

• If there is a major case announcement, we will notify the press via our Facebook page with appropriate lead time and share information about where and when the briefing will be held.

• This shift in briefing allows us to continue focusing resources on the case and should not be construed otherwise - we appreciate the community’s outpouring of support and sharing Harley’s picture and the tip line information.

We currently have the following agencies at our office or have been involved with this investigation;

Texas EquuSearch

Chief Hickman

So at least they are recognizing that private searches will take place. That is a first step. Does anyone else feel like PCPD is finally admitting they may have screwed up?

Good Afternoon Friends,

Texas EquuSearch

Chief Hickman
Hmmmmmm. I'm sorry, but I'm not sure I have much faith with the way this case has been handled so far. I'm a big fan of LEO too. Seems they have put all their eggs in one basket,and have tunnel vision. Took too long to get TES involved. Kids gloves.
MOO

Harley Dilly Update Photograph, Tuesday, January 7th, 2020

Good Afternoon Friends,

Please see the attached photograph, which was taken on November 12th, 2019 of Harley in the maroon coat that was reported he was wearing on Friday, December 20th, 2019.

Thank you,

Please Share...

Chief Hickman

81648161_2674379919306729_4939265991591854080_n.jpg

The parents knew he didn't come home, but apparently weren't worried that they didn't know where he was or expect to hear from him because they had his phone. If this was a pattern, I wonder where he usually went away when he didn't go home? In one of the Chief's first comments he said:

This is the not the first time Harley has left home. At the time of his disappearance, Harley’s phone had been taken away by his parents, which may have upset him.

“In the past, when [he and his family] have a conflict in the residence, Harley will go away for the night,” Hickman said, adding that Harley’s parents didn’t worry about not hearing from him until the following day because they had his phone.

Ohio Boy, 14, Hasn't Been Seen Since He Left for School a Week Ago

Then later it's reported that his phone was broken so who knows.

This is the not the first time Harley has left home. At the time of his disappearance, Harley’s phone had been taken away by his parents, which may have upset him.
“In the past, when [he and his family] have a conflict in the residence, Harley will go away for the night,” Hickman said, adding that Harley’s parents didn’t worry about not hearing from him until the following day because they had his phone.

The parents did not worry because they had his phone. I dont get this. Am I reading this wrong? I would worry less if my child did have his phone. That way I could call and track him.

The largest portion of that total is coming from a $$$ campaign launched by the Fisherman’s Wharf, a popular local bait and tackle store in downtown Port Clinton.

(That $$$ campaign)which states that 100% of its donations will go directly to the Port Clinton Police Department to aid in the reward fund, has raised nearly $6,000 as of Tuesday.

A check of $5,925 was presented to the police department earlier this week thanks to what has been raised through that campaign so far.
Reward for missing teen Harley Dilly's safe return tops $17,500

I'm not even sure how much the firewalls block in schools. I know that a lot of schools now use the Google apps for school work like Google Docs and Google Sheets so I'm sure they had use of access to YouTube. Sad but true. I wonder if there's someone on the boards that work in the school system that could tell us their policies. And remember he's in high school so I'm sure they're more lenient.

This is why it's important to know if he did make it to school or even had a laptop or was he able to take his laptop home or do they only get to use them in school. If he did get to school, he'd be able to communicate with anyone and make arrangements of running away or meeting someone.
I retired two years ago from a school that used Google School, which is entirely different than just a normal user using the Google Apps. Schools are able to set up groups and give access or deny access to certain apps. The primary app blocked by most schools is YouTube. Again, it is SOP to block webcams on computers.

As far as their firewall, it depends upon whether it was a hardware or software firewall. Hardware firewalls, like a Meraki system, actually sets up user profiles. The school from which I retired 2 years ago had a Meraki system. We could set up separate profiles for teachers, students, parents, visitors, etc. We were even able to drill down to an individual user, like Harley, and give them their own profile. We would have locked down Harley very quickly.

I don't think this school district is that sophisticated.

The parents did not worry because they had his phone. I dont get this. Am I reading this wrong? I would worry less if my child did have his phone. That way I could call and track him.
Agreed. I think they meant that they didn't expect him to call because he didn't have a phone. But I would think it would be even more concerning to not have ANY idea where your minor child is after dark and has no way to get in contact with you.

Will the entire reward go to the Port Clinton Police Department if LE, FBI, TEQ, etc, find a live Harley?

The reward states : for the safe return.
A body/remains found is not a safe return. ??

How has the reward system worked in past scenarios and cases with a posted reward when someone finds a body?

I think it is most likely that the school doesn't have that great of firewall. This video was the end of last year when he was still in middle school. Most middle schools don't allow students to take school laptops home. Therefore, they don't need to be able to pair with other wireless networks. If they have an IT department worth their salt they have set up the laptops to only connect to their internal network. Schools are required by the Feds to have web filtering. You can see in the video that all the students in the classroom are using laptops; which leads me to believe he was using a classroom computer. You can hear students around him saying "he is streaming."

Most schools, again if they have a competent IT department, disable webcams. It is just SOP. But they must also have a very weak firewall. Harley seems to be very tech savvy and I am sure he figured out how to break through a very weak firewall.

I hadn't thought about that video being taken in middle school vs High School. I'm not sure if it's a different program than the highschool Chrome book progeam or not (my son thinks it is).

So I know some of you have been around a long time that remember Robert "Bonsai" Bee's case. This case reminds me so much of that case in many ways. There's an actually YouTube series about his case out there that was just released and how so many things were not address by LEO. I hope this isn't the case for Harley.

So I know some of you have been around a long time that remember Robert "Bonsai" Bee's case. This case reminds me so much of that case in many ways. There's an actually YouTube series about his case out there that was just released and how so many things were not address by LEO. I hope this isn't the case for Harley.
Yes, I posted about the same.
Too many unanswered questions ... by those who might have some answers. Imo.

This is the schools chrome book policy but it says nothing about what is / isn't blocked. I can find out once my kid answers me. lol

They are allowed to take them home at the HS level but not MS as far as I know (unless that changed)

https://ms.pccsd.net/ourpages/auto/2013/8/19/36312021/13-14 Chromebook Policy Handbook.pdf

I retired two years ago from a school that used Google School, which is entirely different than just a normal user using the Google Apps. Schools are able to set up groups and give access or deny access to certain apps. The primary app blocked by most schools is YouTube. Again, it is SOP to block webcams on computers.

As far as their firewall, it depends upon whether it was a hardware or software firewall. Hardware firewalls, like a Meraki system, actually sets up user profiles. The school from which I retired 2 years ago had a Meraki system. We could set up separate profiles for teachers, students, parents, visitors, etc. We were even able to drill down to an individual user, like Harley, and give them their own profile. We would have locked down Harley very quickly.

I don't think this school district is that sophisticated.

The district doesn't manage the Chrome Book program. It's handled by an outside, hired agency. That much I know for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NysesPieces