Found Deceased OH - Harley Dilly, 14, walking to Port Clinton High School, 20 Dec 2019 #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
All you have to do is watch Ridiculousness to realize that guys (and not just teenage boys) don't always think before doing something. And, yes, some girls/women do, too, but just watch the show, YouTube, news, etc and it's pretty obvious that dumb/dangerous things are overwhelmingly doe by males.

Yes, just look at the movies "Jackass" Not teens but adults, lol.

:(

Exactly. So they were vented into the holes that in this house seem like they were left open. I saw a lot of renovation pages that say to leave it open for cleaning or animals. Or if you ever want to use a vented free standing heater in the home again.

Sometimes if they aren’t going to be used these chimneys are permanently capped off because they are dangerous for wildlife seeking warmth. How I wish this one had been. :(

Edit to add: I looked at Ohio laws and it seems be a legal requirement that chimneys are at least screened within 12” of the opening or capped with a vented cement cap. This may not apply to historical building though.
It may have been capped, the last the homeowner knew. You wouldn’t know it came off unless you found the cap on the ground and recognized it for what it was, had roof work done, or had a critter get inside because of it. My neighbor’s had been capped until it wasn’t and they found large cow-suckers in their home, one crawling up onto the baby’s crib. (I never saw renters move out so quickly as then.)

The thing that bothers me is that I was not seeing it! He was not seen on any camera, it was as if he disappeared. He was not seen in any of the cameras of the hospital. I should have seen it: he could still be very close by and really never left. He was not abducted, he was still there. I still don't get it why he, a teenager, would climb up a roof at 6 am. It was very cold, and I bet icy and slippery. Of course if you are not local, you don't know the empty houses and from google earth, the houses did not look run down or abandoned.

I really think the information that he climbed an antenna tower to access the chimney will turn out to be false. How did his glasses and jacket end up inside, then? Not only inside, but it sounds like they weren't even near the chimney. And how does a person who dies of asphyxia manage to remove their jacket? It is simply not possible.

He probably found a way in, like through a window, and then decided to explore the chimney. Far more likely explanation. There's just no other way to explain the jacket being in the house.

The thing that bothers me is that I was not seeing it! He was not seen on any camera, it was as if he disappeared. He was not seen in any of the cameras of the hospital. I should have seen it: he could still be very close by and really never left. He was not abducted, he was still there. I still don't get it why he, a teenager, would climb up a roof at 6 am. It was very cold, and I bet icy and slippery. Of course if you are not local, you don't know the empty houses and from google earth, the houses did not look run down or abandoned.

He was seen on camera:

"Police also announced that a surveillance camera captured an image they believe to be Dilly between the hours of 6 a.m. and 7 a.m. on December 20. It was taken in the area between Harley’s residence on E. 5th Street and the Port Clinton High & Middle School Campus."

source: Body of missing Port Clinton teen Harley Dilly found in chimney of unoccupied house

Well I can't sleep so I am back. As a mother to 6 with 3 boys, 2 Harleys's age or there abouts this has been a tough one.
If you rolled my two teens together you would get a kid a lot like Harley. Although having spoken to them both today they looked at me like a crazy woman when I made them promise never to try and climb down a chimney. At which point they both said "why would we do that... We would get stuck."
Still they promised me anyway.

I have thought a lot about this, and whilst I was never convinced this would end well, I don't think I dreamt it could have ended so heartbreakingly.

I really hope some lessons are learned from this about assumptions. Christ we are forever told most accidents, or incidents happen within 100 yards of our front door. It boggles my mind, that so many things seemed to conspire against Harley that day right from the get go.
@userunnamed I have raised 6 kids 3 boys, two of them are now at that age, the other is in his 20's, none of them need4/5 baths a day 'alone time' otherwise we would never get in the bathroom and we would have been condemned to cold showers thru lack of hot water.. There are other statements that confirm he had very fixed habits. And I don't think they would have broadcast that fact as a need to know if they thought he was just getting to know himself. JMO

In many old homes, the fireplace mantles and bricks are removed. The fireplace openings are then covered with drywall because they are no longer used. The flue and chimney still exist.
Then how did the coat and glasses end up on the floor by fireplace?

I really think the information that he climbed an antenna tower to access the chimney will turn out to be false. How did his glasses and jacket end up inside, then? Not only inside, but it sounds like they weren't even near the chimney. And how does a person who dies of asphyxia manage to remove their jacket? It is simply not possible.

He probably found a way in, like through a window, and then decided to explore the chimney. Far more likely explanation. There's just no other way to explain the jacket being in the house.
If what the homeowner said is true and there was no fireplace, that leaves the very small round caps for access inside. There’s no way he could crawl through a cap.

Also, I had coal fireplaces in KY. A very small cat managed to climb in past the damper, but we had a hell of a time getting our arms through the opening to drag her sooty butt back out again. I don’t believe he could have entered the chimney from inside the house.

I don’t think anyone could have seen this, as it’s so incredibly rare.

I figured he ran off, and succumbed to the elements. I thought he’d be within a mile or two, but never imagined he’d be right across the street.

I think he had probably climbed that tower in the past, and had seen the chimney opening. Had he been able to jimmy open a door or window, he would have entered that way.

He didn’t want to go to school, couldn’t go home, and that house offered shelter from the elements.

That, and it’s possible he was trying to give his parents a bit of a scare.

It may have been capped, the last the homeowner knew. You wouldn’t know it came off unless you found the cap on the ground and recognized it for what it was, had roof work done, or had a critter get inside because of it. My neighbor’s had been capped until it wasn’t and they found large cow-suckers in their home, one crawling up onto the baby’s crib. (I never saw renters move out so quickly as then.)
What are cow Suckers?

Here is a youtube video on Harley. The woman states that on on his youtube channel one video called 'I'm scared" used to be there and now it is missing. Very strange... but she has the video and what he is saying. At the 6:03 mark on her video you can see it. I also saw one where you can hear his parents screaming and swearing at each other in the background. My heart hurts for him.

I believe this is the video you spoke about. Hopefully it works.
Video that was taken down from Oct 2018...it is the Dilly kid that was found in the chimney in Ohio.

A particular kind of snake that squeezes its prey to death. We had a creek. They liked the creek, climbed the trees, decided to check out the neighbor’s roof while up in the trees, found an uncapped chimney and voila - had an indoor home.
This is why homeowners do not knowingly leave a chimney uncapped.

@userunnamed I have raised 6 kids 3 boys, two of them are now at that age, the other is in his 20's, none of them need4/5 baths a day 'alone time' otherwise we would never get in the bathroom and we would have been condemned to cold showers thru lack of hot water.. There are other statements that confirm he had very fixed habits. And I don't think they would have broadcast that fact as a need to know if they thought he was just getting to know himself. JMO

I think they're exaggerating about the 5xs a day. I think he might have bathed 5xs a day a couple times but not everyday. I don't have 3 boys as kids but I've knew about 150-200 14 year olds when I was 14. Now, I didn't know each of their bathing habits but I had a lot of friends back in the day. I actually won an award for most Friendly Guy in my middle school--I had a lot of friends and acquaintances. I think he probably took 1-3 baths a day in reality but sometimes took 5. I firmly believe they are misreading/reading too much into the bathing thing but, I'm not a know it all, I could be totally wrong.

Also, remember, this was a tiny house, where people could hear just about anything anyone else said. You can hear it in his youtube videos. I mean, he might have just ran water to play a game on his phone. Sometimes, I would run hot water just to warm my bathroom because the heat didn't get to the bathroom that well.

RSBM; screen would not hold back 100 pounds in motion unfortunately.

“Screen” in this case refers to more than just screen material. It’s heavy duty steel that is bolted or cemented on. This is basic one from Home Depot. $33

Attachments

• EFBCB1C6-0AB3-4E7F-A052-26C0CF1E5CD0.jpeg
    EFBCB1C6-0AB3-4E7F-A052-26C0CF1E5CD0.jpeg
    48.8 KB · Views: 19
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics