Found Deceased OH - Harley Dilly, 14, walking to Port Clinton High School, 20 Dec 2019 #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think they're exaggerating about the 5xs a day. I think he might have bathed 5xs a day a couple times but not everyday. I don't have 3 boys as kids but I've knew about 150-200 14 year olds when I was 14. Now, I didn't know each of their bathing habits but I had a lot of friends back in the day. I actually won an award for most Friendly Guy in my middle school--I had a lot of friends and acquaintances. I think he probably took 1-3 baths a day in reality but sometimes took 5. I firmly believe they are misreading/reading too much into the bathing thing but, I'm not a know it all, I could be totally wrong.

Also, remember, this was a tiny house, where people could hear just about anything anyone else said. You can hear it in his youtube videos. I mean, he might have just ran water to play a game on his phone. Sometimes, I would run hot water just to warm my bathroom because the heat didn't get to the bathroom that well.

i can think of one very obvious reason a 14 year old boy would lock himself in the bathroom - hint- it requires PRIVACY

Not sure if ANYONE has ALREADY stated this BUT, these are things I would like to know:
1- what's the width of HD's shoulders
2- shoe size
3- length of his body

Reasons I would like to know this information?? Well....a 9 inch by 13 inch space to "crawl" into, did he go head first or feet first? If feet first, would his feet fit for 1, I know he was considered smaller for his size, BUT as we saw per a picture posted here, 9x13 isn't that big or wide....would he even fit? Would his shoulders get stuck. Did he ACTUALLY climb in on his own or, (I HATE to say this) was he stuffed in. (It makes me sick to say that.

(All of this is MOO)

The interior of old chimneys are wider at the top.

Then how did the coat and glasses end up on the floor by fireplace?
A flue opening (smaller hole)
Everything is explained multiple times back a few pages. There are even photos of chimneys and flue openings on previous pages.

See the hole in the chimney. That is a flue opening. They are usually capped off when not in use, but the cap comes off. While inside the chimney, Harley might have kicked off the flue cap or maybe it didn't have a cap. That hole is how his jacket and glasses got inside the house.
Screen Shot 2020-01-14 at 8.37.15 PM.png

Last edited:
It appears that he pushed them through an opening in the chimney flue. There is no evidence that he first entered the house.

The damper......I'm wondering if he was going down the chimney fine, some compression but sliding through, until he came to the damper. He was stuck then. The damper had to have been open. There is no way he could have gotten through the damper if it was like this one.......prayers for Harley and family.....
Is your fireplace damper open or closed?? - Chimney Keepers

BBM
Because that would be breaking and entering. Again, going back to profiling/mindset, I would imagine Harley’s mindset upon wanting “in” to that house was one one like that of an animal seeking refuge/a place to temporarily burrow away.

Obviously, not a plan well thought through, and what was the plan to get out again? But this is a non-fully developed teenage brain we are discussing here.

Yes. 14 year olds are not very sophisticated especially with thinking of the consequences/ dangers of their actions. The chimney probably looked big enough to him. Kids hear all sorts of warnings- look both ways before you cross a street, wear your seat belt, don't talk to strangers. But when do we ever say not to go down chimneys? It is rare that a 14 year old believes in Santa, but the whole Santa idea could have put in his head that getting down a chimney is an option.

From now on when I make a casserole or a pan of brownies I'll think of this young man.

I've lived through a fourteen year old boy and several of his friends. Thank God we all survived those years

images

MOO:

I think he wanted a place to hide/chill/whatever, and with his 14 year old fearless 'immortal' self, climbed up the antenna, and went down the chimney. He's a YouTuber as well so perhaps he was thinking that (since his phone was broken), it'd be a good 'test run' for something he could repeat for his channel, a whole "Look at me, I'm Santa, haha!" kind of deal. And really, wouldn't it make you feel special and almost like a superhero if you could slide/shimmy down a chimney, appear in the fireplace and then have a whole empty house to yourself? It would be amazingly cool - because on tv/movies, you always see Santa or whoever just whooshing right down the chimney and landing in the fireplace. Why would real life be any different? (at least to a 14 year old boy who was thin enough to fit in a chimney and was maybe wanting to do something cool to feel good.)

MOO:

I think he wanted a place to hide/chill/whatever, and with his 14 year old fearless 'immortal' self, climbed up the antenna, and went down the chimney. He's a YouTuber as well so perhaps he was thinking that (since his phone was broken), it'd be a good 'test run' for something he could repeat for his channel, a whole "Look at me, I'm Santa, haha!" kind of deal. And really, wouldn't it make you feel special and almost like a superhero if you could slide/shimmy down a chimney, appear in the fireplace and then have a whole empty house to yourself? It would be amazingly cool - because on tv/movies, you always see Santa or whoever just whooshing right down the chimney and landing in the fireplace. Why would real life be any different? (at least to a 14 year old boy who was thin enough to fit in a chimney and was maybe wanting to do something cool to feel good.)
I thought about the Santa story too, since it was Dec 20th. And he had a 4 yr old brother/nephew living at home so there was probably a lot of stories and references to Jolly St. Nick, going to slide down their chimney next week. This is a heartbreaking ending for everyone.

From now on when I make a casserole or a pan of brownies I'll think of this young man.

I've lived through a fourteen year old boy and several of his friends. Thank God we all survived those years

images

I have survived a boy going through age 14....I have a daughter that I am preparing for, she is currently 9, wish me luck.

Yes. 14 year olds are not very sophisticated especially with thinking of the consequences/ dangers of their actions. The chimney probably looked big enough to him. Kids hear all sorts of warnings- look both ways before you cross a street, wear your seat belt, don't talk to strangers. But when do we ever say not to go down chimneys? It is rare that a 14 year old believes in Santa, but the whole Santa idea could have put in his head that getting down a chimney is an option.
Same thought crossed my mind. Maybe we should start a new tradition of hiding a house key for Santa.

MOO:

I wondered from the beginning of Harley was looking for more content for his YT channel. “I spent the night in a haunted/abandoned building” is really popular. I had assumed maybe he hit some rough terrain and was injured. MOO.
Poor Harley.

I thought about the Santa story too, since it was Dec 20th. And he had a 4 yr old brother/nephew living at home so there was probably a lot of stories and references to Jolly St. Nick, going to slide down their chimney next week. This is a heartbreaking ending for everyone.

I'd forgotten about his baby brother. Four-year-olds are very much all about Santa. I could see Harley impulsively trying out the chimney because the idea just popped in his head and if it worked, he'd do it for his brother come Christmas! There are not very many advantages to being a small guy at age 14 but if he could make the 4 year old's Christmas memorable by being small enough to fit down the chimney than he'd go for it and probably blog about the experience.

My heart goes out to Harley and his family. So full of ambition and craving love and attention on his SM IMO. If only he knew how much love has been sent to him from the interwebs, and the local community since he’d been missing. Such a sad ending to his journey.

Last edited:
Not at all how I expected this to end. Poor Harley. Wow, he was that close yet so far.

Kudos to LE for finding him. With the house being vacant, why would LE think someone would be in there, especially if there was no signs of entry? Frankly, since it had been three weeks, I’m sure the body was really ripe. I think that’s how they finally got to looking in the chimney.

My condolences to his family and other loved ones. I was hoping for a different outcome. He got stuck in a chimney and died. Who would have thought?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timbo1966