OH - Jennifer Nelson, 29, murdered in her Dayton home, 2 Jan 2009

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
What does the Corsicana case have to do with this one? Are the same people involved? No, not even the same state. I had to google it to know what you were referring to.
http://www.corsicanadailysun.com/local/local_story_271201027.html
The above is a link to the Corsicana case that has nothing to do with Myers' case, for those interested.

This thread is for this specific case.
I don't live in Ohio, and i don't know who Mathias Heck is aside from the Prosecutor and i have no feelings on him one way or the other.

I find some of your retorts to myself and other posters offensive. You've made a lot of mean sounding, narcissistic comments to other posters. I'm not sure what things you want to debate, once again, debates not related to this case are for the parking lot.

I provided the link. It's just an instance of the Death Penalty having gone far wrong . . . and since we were discussing the relevance of the death penalty, it was cogent. I don't understand the basis for your insults or catcalls, so I won't address those except to say that I believe we are to keep our remarks to the topic at hand and not each other.

<Respectfully snipped for space>

MeoW333 I went back and relistened to C. Myers talking outside of the jail. It was difficult for me to understand him and in the link that was listed in this thread there was a small moment where all I heard was static while he was speaking.

I listened to it a few times, here is what I heard:

He said he was sorry, that he just wanted their stuff, and he took the child. Really no details. It really makes me uncomfortable to read that article in which the PA is telling variations of this crime to the media. To me, the way I process information, either it is what it is, or it's not. I don't want to be manipulated by anyone even a PA.

Darn I hope I made sense, it's hard to put that into words.

Kat, do you have the video link again? I'm sorry, i was just looking all through for it, i want to watch it again to listen more.

Kat, do you have the video link again? I'm sorry, i was just looking all through for it, i want to watch it again to listen more.

oops found it, sorry about that.
Here is the link to the video:
http://www.daytondailynews.com/n/content/oh/story/news/local/2009/01/07/ddn010709myersweb.html

(You have to let it load a little at the bottom of the page)

"i just wanted to save sorry for the crime,but its the first time it happened in my whole life i'm 22 years old and ive never had a gun in my whole life but ive made mistakes and i apologize to their family for one thing ... their stuff but that's all i did i took the child ..so the child wouldn't stay with the parent since the parent had passed away and i dropped him off on the rest area.."

That's the best i can try and translate, its hard to hear with a lot of the background noise in the background.

I provided the link. It's just an instance of the Death Penalty having gone far wrong . . . and since we were discussing the relevance of the death penalty, it was cogent. I don't understand the basis for your insults or catcalls, so I won't address those except to say that I believe we are to keep our remarks to the topic at hand and not each other.

I've tried, but I can't see the connection to this case and the murder of little Hannah Mack, the death penaly, and
In that case, it was the state of Texas that committed a heinous crime.
Shawn Earl Arender has not been tried yet.

What am I missing?

Obviously it meets the legal requirements for death penalty, or the prosecution wouldn't be able to seek it. :rolleyes: I don't believe it meets the emotional threshold for the jury, and it won't, unless Heck exploits the boy to do so-- which I wouldn't put past him. Charlie Myers did something awful to this kid, and the State of Ohio will continue the boy's suffering.

I never said I thought that Myers was innocent (and in fact I don't) but it's essential that we keep the basis for our entire legal system in mind and not serve as judge, jury and executioner before the first word of testimony has even been heard.

Interesting no one had a comment about the Corsicana case. To say you cannot compare one case to another as to its degree of heinousness is specious. While "heinous" means shockingly hateful or evil, it is an adjective, so it demands comparison. In that case, it was the state of Texas that committed a heinous crime.

Of the things I abhor most they are murder and/or sex crimes esp. on a child. IMO a sex crime is like a murder of the soul. And when you combine a sex crime upon a child with a murder, yeah I will probably say to put the DP on the table. But I know I don't make that decision. The prosecutor does. And I know that neither I nor the prosecutor can order the DP. The jury votes on that (and I am not eligible to sit on the jury in that case.) In most cases the jury has multiple options according to whether they believe that guilt has been been shown in 1st or 2nd degree murder or other homicide charge. After the trial, after the verdict, then they decide punishment. And even though the DP is on the table, they get other options. The options they might give would be life with parole, life without parole, or the death penalty. So even though the death penalty is on the table, there is no guarentee he will be given the DP. After the jury hears the evidence, they will decide. And if the jury gets to hear the case and decides that the crime was heinous enough to warrant the DP then that is good enough for me, I can easily accept it.

However, DP cases are expensive. And very often the jury never hears the case. Very often the prosecutor will put the DP on the table, and the defense will agree to a plea deal in exchange for the DP being taken off the table. As Myers has allegedly already confessed, it wouldn't surprise me if that happened in this case.

I've tried, but I can't see the connection to this case and the murder of little Hannah Mack, the death penaly, and Shawn Earl Arender has not been tried yet.

What am I missing?

Your not missing anything, Openmind :blowkiss:
The cases aren't connected.

Of the things I abhor most they are murder and/or sex crimes esp. on a child. IMO a sex crime is like a murder of the soul. And when you combine a sex crime upon a child with a murder, yeah I will probably say to put the DP on the table. But I know I don't make that decision. The prosecutor does. And I know that neither I nor the prosecutor can order the DP. The jury votes on that (and I am not eligible to sit on the jury in that case.) In most cases the jury has multiple options according to whether they believe that guilt has been been shown in 1st or 2nd degree murder or other homicide charge. After the trial, after the verdict, then they decide punishment. And even though the DP is on the table, they get other options. The options they might give would be life with parole, life without parole, or the death penalty. So even though the death penalty is on the table, there is no guarentee he will be given the DP. After the jury hears the evidence, they will decide. And if the jury gets to hear the case and decides that the crime was heinous enough to warrant the DP then that is good enough for me, I can easily accept it.

However, DP cases are expensive. And very often the jury never hears the case. Very often the prosecutor will put the DP on the table, and the defense will agree to a plea deal in exchange for the DP being taken off the table. As Myers has allegedly already confessed, it wouldn't surprise me if that happened in this case.

Mysteriew, i agree with your description "murder of the soul" and also that the boy's mother was murdered in her attempt to save her son, right in front of the boy. I wouldn't be surprised either at a plea deal, due to Myers confession. I just hope at the least he gets life in prison without parole, so he never has a chance to harm anyone again.

Judge Orders Mental Evaluation For Charlie Myers
Friday, February 6, 2009 – updated: 4:05 pm EST February 6, 2009

DAYTON, Ohio -- There is new information in the case of a Columbus man who was charged with killing a Harrison Township mother and kidnapping of her son.

A judge in Montgomery County has ordered 22-year-old Charlie Myers to undergo a mental health evaluation.

Myers is accused of killing Jenny Nelson in her Harrison Township home last month.

Investigators said Myers tied up Nelson with electrical cords and then killed her when she broke free.

Authorities said they think Myers had sexual contact with Nelson’s 4-year-old son before taking him and dropping him off at a rest stop in Madison County near Columbus.

Myers is facing more than 20 charges, including aggravated murder

Thank you for the update Tut med.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/blog...009/04/16/dayton_charlie_myers_accused_1.html

Thursday, April 16, 2009, 04:56 PM

A mental examination shows Charlie Myers, accused of killing a Harrison Twp. woman and kidnapping her 4-year-old son, is competent to stand trial, but his attorneys have asked for a second evaluation.

At a hearing on Thursday, April 16, Montgomery County Common Pleas Judge Dennis J. Langer said prosecutors would have until April 23 to file a response to the defense motion that was filed earlier Thursday. Langer will rule on the defense request by April 28.

More at link.

Man Pleads Guilty to Killing Woman, Kidnapping Her Son

Friday, February 19, 2010

DAYTON, Ohio — A man pleaded guilty on Friday to killing a young mother and kidnapping her 4-year-old son, who later was found alone in his pajamas at a highway rest stop.

Charlie Myers, 23, and prosecutors agreed to the plea deal that allowed him to avoid the death penalty. He'll now serve a life sentence without the possibility of parole.

Myers went to the family's home and planned to rob it. He tied the woman up in the basement, had sexual contact with her 4-year-old son and fatally shot the woman after she broke free and stabbed him, prosecutors have said.

The woman's husband angrily pointed at Myers during the hearing Friday.

"The fact that you grew up in a broken home gave you no right to break his," he said. "You are the monster in his nightmares. You are hated."

The Associated Press is not naming the family so as not to identify the victim of an alleged sexual offense.

Myers apologized to the victim's family in court, including the woman's husband. He said he understands what he did was wrong.

Myers didn't know the 29-year-old woman he was accused of killing, and found his way to her home after he stole a car belonging to the victim's family in the weeks before the killing, prosecutors said.

Montgomery County Common Pleas Judge Dennis Langer sentenced Myers soon after he pleaded guilty.

Defense attorney Dennis Lieberman said dropping the death penalty was the key to the plea agreement.

"Whenever you have the risk of being killed, as opposed to life, even if that life is behind bars, there is always hope," he said.

Detectives said Myers admitted to the crimes after first denying being involved.

James Davis, a corrections officer at the Montgomery County Jail, testified during a pretrial hearing in September that he asked Myers how he had gotten a cut on his back.

"He said, 'That woman cut me, and then I killed her,"' Davis quoted Myers as telling him.

more here

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,586931,00.html

In addition to life without parole, the judge sentenced Myers to an additional 49 years in prison for other charges associated with the crime.

I am so thankful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the only thing that sickens me was his statement in court where he blamed his actions on the fact he grew up without a mother-----how dare he!!!!!

Mr. Nelson said it right-you are hated!!! and because you grew up without a mother didn't give you the right to take his son's mother!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Horrorgirl87
Back