Found Deceased OH - Joey LaBute, 26, Columbus, 4 March 2016 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone know the name of the apt so we can get a visual of where he might have parked and what is surrouding it?

Thurber Gate (apartments) near Michigan ave & w. goodale street...

images
[
google images Thanx tara how are you?

Im ok thanks for asking...how r u doing CARIIS?

And where the heck is Joey? :candle:

db4be5781d1a61927b9718066f582a3e.jpg

Top is North

Right top corner is Union Cafe where he visited.
Left bottom corner is where he parked.
There is a large construction area at the bottom towards the middle that he would've had to walk around.
Off screen on the left is Olentangy River running vertically to this map. It flows North to South. And is appropriately 1/8 mile from where he parked and appropriately 3/4 mile from Union Cafe. (I'm guessing at distance).

The route he would've took to his car was probably south on High St, east on Buttles Ave, through Goodale Park around the pond, exiting the park on Collins Ave walking east then south following the road, which would take him right along the east side of the construction site, and turning east on Goodale Ave to his parked car. In the past you could shortcut through Wheeler Memorial Park, but it's now a fenced in dog park and I'm not sure if people would shortcut through it any longer.
Those are assumptions I'm making on his route are based on the time I lived in the apt complex next to the one he parked at. We would walk that route daily to those businesses. Though we would shortcut through Wheeler Park since it was just an open park with no fencing.
I hope it's okay to post the map on this site.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This young man was attacked in the Short North a week before on Friday, February 26th. He and a friend were at the Pint House (which is located next door to the Union Cafe), when he walked outside to make a phone call and was attacked. I wonder if this and Joey's dissapearance are related?

COLUMBUS — A Marine Corps veteran says he became a random target in the Short North and police are consulting with prosecutors to determine if the case is a hate crime.
~snip
Gray went to the Pint House in the Short North Friday night with his high school friend. He stepped outside to make a call when he said he was approached and beaten unconscious. Gray said he remembered waking up at Grant Medical Center with the concussion and broken nose.

Police say a responding officer to the attack noted seeing Gray stumbling around disoriented. He went to the officer, stated he was a former Marine and said he was punched by three black men who kept referring to him as "white."

The attackers took none of Gray's belongings. "I even had an Apple watch on and they didn't steal that," Gray said.

More at link:
http://myfox28columbus.com/news/local/marine-corps-veteran-says-he-became-target-of-hate-crime

This young man was attacked in the Short North a week before on Friday, February 26th. He and a friend were at the Pint House (which is located next door to the Union Cafe), when he walked outside to make a phone call and was attacked. I wonder if this and Joey's dissapearance are related?

COLUMBUS — A Marine Corps veteran says he became a random target in the Short North and police are consulting with prosecutors to determine if the case is a hate crime.
~snip
Gray went to the Pint House in the Short North Friday night with his high school friend. He stepped outside to make a call when he said he was approached and beaten unconscious. Gray said he remembered waking up at Grant Medical Center with the concussion and broken nose.

Police say a responding officer to the attack noted seeing Gray stumbling around disoriented. He went to the officer, stated he was a former Marine and said he was punched by three black men who kept referring to him as "white."

The attackers took none of Gray's belongings. "I even had an Apple watch on and they didn't steal that," Gray said.

More at link:
http://myfox28columbus.com/news/local/marine-corps-veteran-says-he-became-target-of-hate-crime

I wonder how he got attacked and beat up with no witnesses. Bouncers always stand at the door..... And people would be walking up and down the street. Someone would have def seen this and helped. Very odd!!

I wonder how he got attacked and beat up with no witnesses. Bouncers always stand at the door..... And people would be walking up and down the street. Someone would have def seen this and helped. Very odd!!

The news video said he walked around the corner from the bar into a side alley to make a phone call. That's where he was attacked. In his interview, he doesn't really remember much and the responding officer said he was disoriented. I wonder if he had been drugged?
It seems in many of these missing young men's cases, they seem to become disoriented and go outside alone to use their phone.

I'm not sure the exact times, I'm just certain that I saw him online around midnight.
Refresh my memory- about what time did he disappear? He was on the app after he was last seen? Just trying to make a mental timeline.

The news video said he walked around the corner from the bar into a side alley to make a phone call. That's where he was attacked. In his interview, he doesn't really remember much and the responding officer said he was disoriented. I wonder if he had been drugged?
It seems in many of these missing young men's cases, they seem to become disoriented and go outside alone to use their phone.

This seems like a realistic scenario to me. Joey initially leaves the table to go to the bar. Then he decides to answer/initiate a call outside in the alley near Union.

I bet the guy assaulted when he left Pint House the week prior was in the same alley.

That particular alley has been the scene of violent crime fairly recently.

A woman was raped in that alley last August: http://www.10tv.com/content/stories...estigating-sexual-assault-in-short-north.html

This seems like a realistic scenario to me. Joey initially leaves the table to go to the bar. Then he decides to answer/initiate a call outside in the alley near Union.

I bet the guy assaulted when he left Pint House the week prior was in the same alley.

That particular alley has been the scene of violent crime fairly recently.

A woman was raped in that alley last August: http://www.10tv.com/content/stories...estigating-sexual-assault-in-short-north.html

Anything is a possibility - but now it doesn't explain the "I'm driving" call.
I guess I'm just more prone to thinking that he disappeared with someone

The news coverage of the "I'm driving" call has been scant. Not sure what to make of that. I realize his family is certain it was his voice but they could easily be mistaken -- particularly with such a short phone call.

And I think this was said in this thread before but "I'm driving" is a classic way to end a phone call quickly. If he desired to disappear, why answer the family's call at all and tell them he's driving somewhere? Also note, if the phone was locked, a third party would not be able to respond to texts but could answer calls.

I'm just not convinced it was him.

The news coverage of the "I'm driving" call has been scant. Not sure what to make of that. I realize his family is certain it was his voice but they could easily be mistaken -- particularly with such a short phone call.

And I think this was said in this thread before but "I'm driving" is a classic way to end a phone call quickly. If he desired to disappear, why answer the family's call at all and tell them he's driving somewhere? I'm just not convinced it was him.

I don't think he desired to disappear.... Think he was easily lured off by someone he may have been familiar with. Also think it's A possibility that he was drugged in the process.... Making his judgment extremely poor. It could be that this person was driving , Joey was unconscious or passed out, and the suspect answered the phone. But then again, why would someone else answer the phone anyways? Why wouldn't this person just ignore the calls or turn off the phone....Who knows... Wish there was more public info about the phone/phone call.

Agreed on the drugging. CPD has fielded dozens of complaints about laced drinks at Axis (sister nightclub across the street).

I'm sure Joey's phone was buzzing and ringing with concerned family at that time. Perhaps this person panicked and answered in hopes of allaying fears? Just idle speculation at this point.

Agreed on the drugging. CPD has fielded dozens of complaints about laced drinks at Axis (sister nightclub across the street).

I'm sure Joey's phone was buzzing and ringing with concerned family at that time. Perhaps this person panicked and answered in hopes of allaying fears? Just idle speculation at this point.

Yes- I mentioned earlier that people were drugged at axis the night Joey disappeared!
Supposedly, Joey was also seen at pint house and Bakersfield that evening.
I agree with your speculation about the possible suspect delaying family fears.
The more and more we talk about about possibility of drink being spiked .... The more inclined I am to think that this is the scenario

One of my girlfriends is at Union right now- she sent me this picture of camera pointing directly to entrance/exit. He has to be seen leaving!
97b9a259618863421818c3dc1623cc72.jpg

I just started following this case and have not read through all the posts on this thread but am wondering if there is any indication he left willingly with someone. Hoping he was captured on a camera somewhere that will indicate who he may have left with if that did happen?

This is just a horrible thought but it is possible the "I'm driving" could actually be something like I'm dying...If you get only a 2 word response would your brain possible here a reasonable statement as opposed to something we would never imagine hearing on a phone call. I apologize for how horrible that thought may seem.

I just started following this case and have not read through all the posts on this thread but am wondering if there is any indication he left willingly with someone. Hoping he was captured on a camera somewhere that will indicate who he may have left with if that did happen?

Yes- if u have time , reread some of the pages. There was indication that he was on dating apps that night . I think that he possibly met up with someone that he met on grinder/tinder- possible the person asked him to come outside to help him park (seeing as though parking is very limited and it was a huge weekend in Columbus) or maybe this person was at the bar ... Maybe drugged his drink and lured him away. The bar says the video footage is too grainy and the bar was packed - but there is a camera that points directly to the door.....plus all the bars on the street have cameras that possibly could track his footsteps and direction on high street . This is just what I am prone to believing... Just an opinion !

He had bar hopped that evening . Maybe he had contact with this individual prior to going to Union at another bar.

I just don't think anyone would willingly leave with a stranger - to me, I believe that he may have been familiar with this person ( if this is even the scenario)

This is just a horrible thought but it is possible the "I'm driving" could actually be something like I'm dying...If you get only a 2 word response would your brain possible here a reasonable statement as opposed to something we would never imagine hearing on a phone call. I apologize for how horrible that thought may seem.

Oh god. I shudder to think that, but it's a possibility :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member