Found Deceased OH - Joey LaBute, 26, Columbus, 4 March 2016 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
wow.... I had no idea that he had went out with the guy he had texted that night, earlier in the evening! Media did not come out with that. Thanks for the info :)
If he was drugged, he would be completely inebriated- or so I think. I have never been drugged, but if I was ruffied, I believe that I would probably black out- can't walk, talk, see. I am not sure how long it takes for that drug to kick in... to the point where the individual is fully incapacitated. How could someone lure him away, down high street, in that condition, without anyone noticing?
That is just what is so puzzling to me.....maybe it is someone he knew..... or someone he had met before.

I have never been drugged, but I did black out once from drinking. Last I remembered I was at a bar talking to somebody I didn't even know, next thing I knew i was waking up at my apartment. I got a ride from somebody thank goodness, but I am missing everything in between those times. Very scary!

Unfortunately no I didn't. We were told not to touch anything and to call it in to CPD and they would send someone to investigate which I did and they didn't provide us with bags, just whistles and gloves. I thought the same thing. That's crazy and I bet if I went back to the site it will still be there cause it was ripped and hanging from a tree but the branches were super low to the ground to where you could reach it. I personally don't think CPD is doing everything possible in this case and I don't know if it's because they have thousands of missing people or what but I don't think they're doing everything they possibly can. It's sad and unfortunately the family thinks they are.:facepalm:

Where did you find the shirt? It sounds like something key, maybe you should tell news and let them handle it?

Where did you find the shirt? It sounds like something key, maybe you should tell news and let them handle it?

Down underneath the bridge that goes over I believe Vine Street and behind the Hilton downtown in a tree. I didn't do anything with it cause CPD said we couldn't touch anything so I just left it how it was once they came and "inspected" it:notgood:

Down underneath the bridge that goes over I believe Vine Street and behind the Hilton downtown in a tree. I didn't do anything with it cause CPD said we couldn't touch anything so I just left it how it was once they came and "inspected" it:notgood:

Just looked at a street view and I see a bridge (N Front Street), going over Convention Center Drive. There are trees there. Is that right?

Just looked at a street view and I see a bridge (N Front Street), going over Convention Center Drive. There are trees there. Is that right?

That's it and it was behind the Hilton.

Sorry this a little off topic right ... And it may have been mentioned somewhere in a previous thread ....weren't there cameras at the Thurber apartments where joeys car was parked ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was the pond in Goodale Park ever searched?

There are also TONS of small alley ways in the surrounding neighborhoods- campus, Italian village, Victorian village , short north area..... I am not exactly sure what perimeter the search covered.

Sorry this a little off topic right ... And it may have been mentioned somewhere in a previous thread ....weren't there cameras at the Thurber apartments where joeys car was parked ?

There are only two and they're both inside the apartment complex, one is by the laundry area and another is by a stairwell or something so there is no way to see out into the parking lot.

Was the pond in Goodale Park ever searched?

That was apart of one of the search areas that day but I don't know if anyone has actually gone into the pond or not, I also know down by the Olentangy river was searched but also again i don't know if they have had any divers go into it or not.

There are also TONS of small alley ways in the surrounding neighborhoods- campus, Italian village, Victorian village , short north area..... I am not exactly sure what perimeter the search covered.

We searched all throughout those areas, the areas were huge and were divided into groups of 4, 6 and 8.

It's been so mind boggling to me as well that I have actually not been able to sleep most nights because i keep playing different scenarios out in my head and trying to look at all possible angles.

:grouphug: We're thinking about all of you and praying that it's resolved soon.

Unfortunately no I didn't. We were told not to touch anything and to call it in to CPD and they would send someone to investigate which I did and they didn't provide us with bags, just whistles and gloves. I thought the same thing. That's crazy and I bet if I went back to the site it will still be there cause it was ripped and hanging from a tree but the branches were super low to the ground to where you could reach it. I personally don't think CPD is doing everything possible in this case and I don't know if it's because they have thousands of missing people or what but I don't think they're doing everything they possibly can. It's sad and unfortunately the family thinks they are.:facepalm:

CPD solve rate for missing persons is actually quite high, somewhere around 90% the last time I looked.

Also, re: the shirt. It's possible it was easily dismissed because there are 100 different shades/tones of gray and if he had looked at the snapchat photos provided by the cousin, knew at immediate glance that it was the entirely wrong shade of gray to have been Joey's shirt from that night.

We searched all throughout those areas, the areas were huge and were divided into groups of 4, 6 and 8.

Yes, I believe there were 31 total grids given out that day and covered quite a distance.

CPD solve rate for missing persons is actually quite high, somewhere around 90% the last time I looked.

Also, re: the shirt. It's possible it was easily dismissed because there are 100 different shades/tones of gray and if he had looked at the snapchat photos provided by the cousin, knew at immediate glance that it was the entirely wrong shade of gray to have been Joey's shirt from that night.

True and yeah that may have been, that was the first time I've ever been involved in a search so it was all new to me with how things are done but thanks for your input:)

Was this picture ever released to public ? I know that snapchat disappears unless you manually save the picture .

I've met his parents in person and they are deeply concerned but also I think more just in shock, like they can't believe this is actually happening. They have been there every step though passing fliers and were there the day of the search and they live in Cincinatti so they have been making the drive to and from ever since this happened. Joey lives here in Columbus but his parents do not. The go fund me money is being handled by Joey's brother Patrick right now and they are still planning on getting a PI but don't want to interfere with CPDs investigation right now so far.

Thank you for this. No one knows what this feels like until it happens to you, even indirectly (as is the case with me - I only knew him casually through work and not a day has gone by where I haven't shed tears over him). People sometimes turn to mindless distractions just as a way to cope, minute by minute. I am certainly not going to judge his aunt or anyone else for that stuff when I myself have turned to those things during times of grief or extreme stress/worry.

As to the PI and CPD, it is always best to have the local police cooperate with any hired PI and if the family was at all getting a feeling of pushback from CPD, then I wouldn't blame them for holding off on that, either. Having CPD be uncooperative could actually be harmful to any case the PI might try to build. It's been just shy of two weeks now, if the family wants to give CPD a fair shot to get the investigation off the ground before bringing in a 3rd party, I absolutely do not blame or judge them for that because having CPD on their side is going to be incredibly helpful. Fact is, not all cops like having PIs involved and can in fact make the job difficult for them.

I also had the thought that gas stations and places like Waffle House/IHOP, both of which are always near freeway ramps, would be good places to get those flyers posted IF we think about the possibility of him being taken by a trafficker. There are also some large truck stops just outside the city, both north and south, that could be good targets. I plan on going out this weekend to hang more flyers and might look into locations like that. Just a thought for any other locals visiting this board who are interested in helping independently.

Was this picture ever released to public ? I know that snapchat disappears unless you manually save the picture .

I seem to recall seeing one or two on one of the tv broadcasts. But even if I am wrong in that, it's still not out of the realm of possibility that they had additional info on the shirt that made the cop dismiss it that quickly. They would want to tell the public 'look for a gray shirt' so that ALL possibilities are reported on, but one person's dark gray is another person's regular gray, and maybe that person wouldn't make the call. So you simply say 'it was gray' and then they can filter from there.

True and yeah that may have been, that was the first time I've ever been involved in a search so it was all new to me with how things are done but thanks for your input:)

Same for me, too. It was unreal and overwhelming. Thank you for showing up and helping. :hug:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay