Found Deceased OH - Joey LaBute, 26, Columbus, 4 March 2016 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anybody informed CPD of his OkCupid account? He was last logged in the day before his disappearance, and there is always a chance that he was in contact with someone that was going to be in town for the Arnold Classic. He even mentions on his profile that he wants adventure, friends far and near, and travel.

Welcome to WS all new members.

Please take a few moments to review our Rules Etiquette & Information

Particularly:

VICTIM FRIENDLY

Websleuths is a victim friendly forum. Attacking or bashing a victim is not allowed. Discussing victim behavior, good or bad is fine, but do so in a civil and constructive way, and only when such behavior is relevant to the case.

The "victim friendly" rule extends to the family members of victims and suspects. Sleuthing family members, friends, and others who have not been designated as suspects is not allowed. Don't make random accusations, suggest their involvement, nor bash and attack them. Posting their personal information, including names, addresses, and background data -- even if it is public -- is not allowed. That does not mean, however, that statements made by family members and other third parties cannot come into discussion as the facts of the case are reported in the media.

SOCIAL MEDIA LINKS, e.g., FACEBOOK and TWITTER

Individuals
Victim (missing or murdered person)
Suspect (as indicated by LE)

Links may be used to direct members to posts made by a victim or a suspect.
Copying and pasting, or taking screen caps, directly from these pages is not allowed.
Paraphrasing is okay.
Posts by friends and visitors are off limits.
Do not link to an individual’s (victim or suspect) social media page if you are not 100% certain it belongs to the correct individual.
If a social media page is set to private and you get in the back way, you may not post what you find. Private means private!

Not Allowed

Social media pages that fall in the following categories are OFF LIMITS.

Family members of either a victim or a suspect
Friends of either a victim or a suspect
Most any other individual

Don't link to these pages, nor make reference to information you find on them.

Thank you

I have thought about it, however, my hesitation is that because it showed the distance he was from me at that moment, I'm assuming it was Union... But the fact is he could have been anywhere in the radius of the distance it listed. Does that make sense? I realize it's confusing, I just know for an absolute fact that he was on scruff shortly after midnight the night he disappeared.

But this, coupled with the fact the from MY location 5 miles away he also appeared to be at Union, means that it's likely that's where he was (and he was known to last be seen). It's not exactly triangulation, but if he was 5 miles from me (and so is Union) and X feet away from you (also Union), then it's likely where he last accessed the app. I would share with CPD.

Were there any construction activity going on in the area between where Joey's car was parked and where he was last seen at the bar on North High Street?

I happen to remember that there were construction going on near the bar where Brian Shaffer disappeared in 2006.

There is a large apartment complex being built that he would have had to walk around right beside where he parked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The "I'm driving" phone call (which I can't find anywhere in local media) makes me think he left the area.

The "I'm driving" was in the myfox28 link posted way back on pg1 or pg2. I believe it was also in an early broadcast on local ch6 news. It had seemed to disappear from the reports, however a friend of his at the search confirmed for me that it did happen, though knew no other details about it (tone of vouce, etc). Make of that what you will.

I wonder if the CPD contacted his carrier to see where his phone was pinging when the last known or unknown phone calls or text messages were being sent or received to his phone. I've heard his phone has since died, but that info could still provide some idea of direction he was headed. That information would be extremely helpful in narrowing down a search area. I also don't understand why no more searches are being conducted in and around Short North. There has got to be camera footage from other businesses in the Short North area that could have captured something. I also agree with an earlier statement that was made about allowing close friends of his to view the camera footage from inside Union Cafe. His friends will be more apt at identifying his image on camera than a stranger (police) just by his movements that are characteristic and unique to him. I can spot a someone familiar to me in a dark parking lot just by the way they walk and body movements without seeing anything other than their profile. It's seems there could be more involvement made by the friends and community if the CPD would allow more involvement from the public. I understand they would want to keep some info confidential, but video that is useless to them might provide something useful to them if they make it viewable to people that could be helpful. And of course more searches need scheduled. Including inside ponds and water retentions, and of course in the Olentangy.

I've also been following this case and helped the search effort in the Vine St, High St, Neil Ave, 670 area.

I agree with you. I'm also saddened that it seems like this is already turning in to a cold case.

I agree with you. I'm also saddened that it seems like this is already turning in to a cold case.

It's hard to believe that , with all the technology we have today, someone can just disappear like that. All the businesses in the short north, up and down high street, have cameras - I would think that his every move out of that bar, and in what direction he walked, would be recorded. I know cpd is reviewing tapes from Fabians across the street from Union- so I'm guessing that they have probably asked other businesses for tapes as well. IMO, there are some things that just have not been released to the public - for whatever reason.
Also, it was late ... Busy weekend in Columbus ... I bet you some people witnessed him leaving or walking and don't even realize it because of intoxication or whatever . So sad,... This case really bothers me

It's hard to believe that , with all the technology we have today, someone can just disappear like that. All the businesses in the short north, up and down high street, have cameras - I would think that his every move out of that bar, and in what direction he walked, would be recorded. I know cpd is reviewing tapes from Fabians across the street from Union- so I'm guessing that they have probably asked other businesses for tapes as well. IMO, there are some things that just have not been released to the public - for whatever reason.
Also, it was late ... Busy weekend in Columbus ... I bet you some people witnessed him leaving or walking and don't even realize it because of intoxication or whatever . So sad,... This case really bothers me

I know. It just seems so hard to believe not one person saw anything. Not one camera in the area recorded anything. This case really bothers me, too. Just like Brian's. I'll never understand how someone can vanish with so many people around. Where are you, Joey?

Warm welcome to VTX88!
Also Mayor Perk!
Also RhymesWithPatina!
Also bighairdontcare!
Also Rstine!
Also cwosigns!

Lots of good thoughts from the newbies today. Thanks for joining. Hope I got everybody listed in the WELCOME!

:welcome6:

Any searches orginzed by family or friends? Haven't seen anything which is bizarre.

Any searches orginzed by family or friends? Haven't seen anything which is bizarre.

There was a search of the Short North last Saturday organized by Stonewall Columbus. Nothing since. I was planning on participating this weekend if something was organized.

I think you are on to something with the apps. I believe Joey hooked up with someone & is being held against his will. Unfortunately with so many people in town for the Arnold Classic, it makes it much harder to know if he is still in Columbus or even Ohio any more. He could've been taken anywhere for nefarious purposes. In this case I fear sex trafficking/sex slavery.

I think you are on to something with the apps. I believe Joey hooked up with someone & is being held against his will. Unfortunately with so many people in town for the Arnold Classic, it makes it much harder to know if he is still in Columbus or even Ohio any more. He could've been taken anywhere for nefarious purposes. In this case I fear sex trafficking/sex slavery.

That possibility was mentioned before. I know what human trafficking is, but i am not clear on how it works on the back end of things. How do people escape from it ? Are people released eventually as the traffickers look for more new people ? I would think space would be limited. I just don't know the mechanisms of it.

That possibility was mentioned before. I know what human trafficking is, but i am not clear on how it works on the back end of things. How do people escape from it ? Are people released eventually as the traffickers look for more new people ? I would think space would be limited. I just don't know the mechanisms of it.
Human trafficking is mentioned in almost every WS thread but not one single case I've ever followed turned out to be someone held against their will or trafficked. I think the theory continues to be brought up because people want to believe that missing persons are alive and relatively ok somewhere. Sadly, except for the rare cases of people dropping out of their lives by choice, this is almost never the case.

Many people don't realize that their geotagging is activated on Instagram. Some people I know have posted photos from their home and if you click on the "tag" symbol on their Instagram account a map shows up where all of the photos were taken. Right down to the exact address. It's scary. I was new to IG and had no idea until a friend told me. When I saw my home was on the map, I was pretty freaked out and changed it immediately. Even if you don't add a location manually, if the geotag settings are not off, then ALL of your photos will be mapped.

IMO that is just not ok and creepy..........

There is a large apartment complex being built that he would have had to walk around right beside where he parked.

Anyone know the name of the apt so we can get a visual of where he might have parked and what is surrouding it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay