Found Deceased OH - Joey LaBute, 26, Columbus, 4 March 2016 #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I wonder if all the businesses in the Short North upgraded their cameras. Now that every robber in Columbus knows that they're prime targets for crimes. Clearly all the footage they've collected was not usable due to cheap video equipment. Also all the patrons should now be concerned that when they visit these establishments, they also are prime targets for criminals. Criminals who can't be prosecuted.

Assuming that Joey was walking down High Street, I would think at least ONE camera would have captured his image.
I am pretty sure it would be impossible not to be seen on camera somewhere on that street.

Someone who actually knew Joey chimed in here and said the guy named Justin that was interviewed as Joeys friend, was actually his roommate and worked at Union Cafe. I was wondering if maybe he was working that night and asked Joey to take some trash out since they were so busy? It could be he took the trash out the back doors for them. That could explain why no one saw him leave. I know when I used to go to bars a lot, it was quite common to see friends of the workers taking the trash out and helping pick up bottles from the tables when the bar was extremely busy. That's the only way I can figure no one saw him leave. Then maybe something happened out at the dumpsters. There was an assault out there the week prior to Joeys disappearance and a gang-rape back in August by those dumpsters. Also makes sense in the case of Brian Shaffer at the Ugly Tuna Saloona, I don't know if he had a friend that worked there or not. I recall them questioning an employee of Ugly Tuna Saloona in Brian's case but don't know why they questioned that employee. But if he helped take some trash out of there through the employees back doors, that would explain why he was never seen leaving also.

Someone who actually knew Joey chimed in here and said the guy named Justin that was interviewed as Joeys friend, was actually his roommate and worked at Union Cafe. I was wondering if maybe he was working that night and asked Joey to take some trash out since they were so busy? It could be he took the trash out the back doors for them. That could explain why no one saw him leave. I know when I used to go to bars a lot, it was quite common to see friends of the workers taking the trash out and helping pick up bottles from the tables when the bar was extremely busy. That's the only way I can figure no one saw him leave. Then maybe something happened out at the dumpsters. There was an assault out there the week prior to Joeys disappearance and a gang-rape back in August by those dumpsters. Also makes sense in the case of Brian Shaffer at the Ugly Tuna Saloona, I don't know if he had a friend that worked there or not. I recall them questioning an employee of Ugly Tuna Saloona in Brian's case but don't know why they questioned that employee. But if he helped take some trash out of there through the employees back doors, that would explain why he was never seen leaving also.

It certainly does not sound like LE "obtained" the video themselves. It was "provided by management. So how would LE be able to know if they even got every camera? I just so agree with you, and wonder of that video was "accidnetly" not given to LE -

Assuming that Joey was walking down High Street, I would think at least ONE camera would have captured his image.
I am pretty sure it would be impossible not to be seen on camera somewhere on that street.

Does the CPD have their own crime cameras on the street in the short north?? Here in Saint louis to fight all the crime (we have plenty) the STL police dept have been installing lots of cameras in popular areas like bar areas that watch streets. They also have a flashing red-blue-red-blue LED lights next to them to make you well aware that police are watching at all times.

I agree with you folks.

what that poster said was :

I would think he would NEVER use them for that reason.

So the notion that the poster was claiming Joey used drugs is somewhat confusing. We all know that many many folks have had to cope with a loved ones addiction issues, and the profound impact that has on the folks that address it.

All of us here are here becasue:

1 - we feel sorry for what happened to JOey.\\
2 We are trying to make some sense of this tradegy
3 This is what we do here - we try to figure out stuff that makes no sense

ANyone who knew Joey and is currently greiving we all feel for you and the loss you are experiencing. At the same time, in all liklihood we might be talking about a murder. Obviuly murder beings in some areas that are not "good" for lack of a better word. NOt as it relates to Joey.Not as it relates to a person being a sexual entity. Not that it relates to someone possibly being in the wrong place at the wrong time. NOt that it relates to possibly making a error in judgement and feeling as if another person is "safe" and turns out not to be. Those are [not] Joeys fault, nor are they a judgement of character.

That being said, these are areas that do come up in a possible crime. Sex gone wrong. Drug invovlment. Money. None of us feel, in any missing person case, or terrorist attack, or plane crash that any of those folks who are killed or injured by an event did anything to "bring" it on themselves, or make the victim responsible or flawed as a human being.

We understand you are all greiving, and senstive at this time. Noone had ever said, or meant to say something , that by some , may seem , errounously to be judging Joey. That simply has not been the case, never has been, nor ever will be.

In general its a group of neat, bright,curious folks who follow the news. This was a nationial story. We follow nationial stories. We follow news stories.

I can comfortably say that any of those directly knew JOey - noone here is judging him in any manner. In fact most of us have come to the conclusion that he was a sweet and neat human being.

However, none of us are disparging him,judging him, blaming him..................

Most of us understand that part of greiving has an anger component to it as well.

Collectivly we are sorry by your loss....................and applgize if some of the discussion here has resulted in a few coming to a conclusion that we are saying anything negative about him personally

There's so much that's not known. The biggest thing is not knowing the time of death. Was it the night he went missing or was it a few days before he was found? The latter would prove it wasn't the smiley face killer and create a lot of questions. Keep an open mind folks.

I agree with you folks.

what that poster said was :

I would think he would NEVER use them for that reason.

So the notion that the poster was claiming Joey used drugs is somewhat confusing. We all know that many many folks have had to cope with a loved ones addiction issues, and the profound impact that has on the folks that address it.

All of us here are here becasue:

1 - we feel sorry for what happened to JOey.\\
2 We are trying to make some sense of this tradegy
3 This is what we do here - we try to figure out stuff that makes no sense

ANyone who knew Joey and is currently greiving we all feel for you and the loss you are experiencing. At the same time, in all liklihood we might be talking about a murder. Obviuly murder beings in some areas that are not "good" for lack of a better word. NOt as it relates to Joey.Not as it relates to a person being a sexual entity. Not that it relates to someone possibly being in the wrong place at the wrong time. NOt that it relates to possibly making a error in judgement and feeling as if another person is "safe" and turns out not to be. Those are Joeys fault, nor are they a judgement of character.

That being said, these are areas that do come up in a possible crime. Sex gone wrong. Drug invovlment. Money. None of us feel, in any missing person case, or terrorist attack, or plane crash that any of those folks who are killed or injured by an event did anything to "bring" it on themselves, or make the victim responsible or flawed as a human being.

We understand you are all greiving, and senstive at this time. Noone had ever said, or meant to say something , that by some , may seem , errounously to be judging Joey. That simply has not been the case, never has been, nor ever will be.

In general its a group of neat, bright,curious folks who follow the news. This was a nationial story. We follow nationial stories. We follow news stories.

I can comfortably say that any of those directly knew JOey - noone here is judging him in any manner. In fact most of us have come to the conclusion that he was a sweet and neat human being.

However, none of us are disparging him,judging him, blaming him..................

Most of us understand that part of greiving has an anger component to it as well.

Collectivly we are sorry by your loss....................and applgize if some of the discussion here has resulted in a few coming to a conclusion that we are saying anything negative about him personally

Great post CARIIS. MTE. And MOO

NOt that it relates to possibly making a error in judgement and feeling as if another person is NOt that it relates to possibly making a error in judgement and feeling as if another person is "safe" and turns out not to be. Those are ​ error here Joeys fault, nor are they a judgement of character.

meant to type:

NOt that it relates to possibly making a error in judgement and feeling as if another person is "safe" and turns out not to be. Those are not Joeys fault, nor are they a judgement of character.

Yeah CARIIS I kinda figured that was a typo. :laughing: Good to clarify though, for any who might not have caught your real meaning in the remainder of the post. The last thing I think anybody here wants to do is say anything hurtful to Joey's survivors.

Someone who actually knew Joey chimed in here and said the guy named Justin that was interviewed as Joeys friend, was actually his roommate and worked at Union Cafe. I was wondering if maybe he was working that night and asked Joey to take some trash out since they were so busy? It could be he took the trash out the back doors for them. That could explain why no one saw him leave. I know when I used to go to bars a lot, it was quite common to see friends of the workers taking the trash out and helping pick up bottles from the tables when the bar was extremely busy. That's the only way I can figure no one saw him leave. Then maybe something happened out at the dumpsters. There was an assault out there the week prior to Joeys disappearance and a gang-rape back in August by those dumpsters.

As a non-local who lives in another large American city and has partaken in a fair degree of late-night clubbing and strolling, I find this absolutely terrifying. It sounds like there needs to be some serious security lighting placed in that back area, for the safety of employees in those buildings as well as passerby. I can't imagine that these businesses wouldn't even have motion-detection lighting in place.

Between the absence of lighting and the evidently crappy security cameras owned by all the businesses in the area, it just sounds like they're not even remotely concerned about safety in the immediate surroundings of their establishments. And frankly, I feel that's dereliction, to the point of making any violent crime that occurs the subject of a huge lawsuit by the injured parties or their representatives.

I can honestly say in light of Joeys disappearance and the assaults in the area, coupled with the fact that apparently the cameras in the Short North are worthless; I will not be patronizing the establishments near or after dark.

Here's the link to the news video where the man was assaulted in the alley beside Union Cafe the Friday before Joeys disappearance. He was a patron of the bar next door to Union Cafe and stepped out to use his phone.
http://myfox28columbus.com/news/local/marine-corps-veteran-says-he-became-target-of-hate-crime

Here's the link to the gang-rape that happened last August behind Union Cafe by the dumpsters. She was a patron of Union Cafe and stepped out to use her phone.
http://www.10tv.com/content/stories...estigating-sexual-assault-in-short-north.html

As a non-local who lives in another large American city and has partaken in a fair degree of late-night clubbing and strolling, I find this absolutely terrifying. It sounds like there needs to be some serious security lighting placed in that back area, for the safety of employees in those buildings as well as passerby. I can't imagine that these businesses wouldn't even have motion-detection lighting in place.

Between the absence of lighting and the evidently crappy security cameras owned by all the businesses in the area, it just sounds like they're not even remotely concerned about safety in the immediate surroundings of their establishments. And frankly, I feel that's dereliction, to the point of making any violent crime that occurs the subject of a huge lawsuit by the injured parties or their representatives.

Here's the link to the news video where the man was assaulted in the alley beside Union Cafe the Friday before Joeys disappearance. He was a patron of the bar next door to Union Cafe and stepped out to use his phone.
http://myfox28columbus.com/news/local/marine-corps-veteran-says-he-became-target-of-hate-crime

Here's the link to the gang-rape that happened last August behind Union Cafe by the dumpsters. She was a patron of Union Cafe and stepped out to use her phone.
http://www.10tv.com/content/stories...estigating-sexual-assault-in-short-north.html

:modstop:

This is a final warning before Time Outs will be given.

You've been warned several times to STOP calling each other out and it still continues. WS will not tolerate this kind of behavior.

Some of you are posting as you know Joey, if that's the case and you did know him, then you should get verified. If you're not interested in being verified then STOP posting inside info.

Rumors are not to be brought here. It will get your post deleted everytime.

Discussing how mods moderate threads on a thread will get you a TO and your post deleted.

If you have a issue with a post, hit the alert button, scroll and roll or use your ignore feature.

Remember WS is a victim friendly site. That includes Joey's family.

Please Thank this post so we know you've read it.

VERIFIED PROFESSIONALS and CASE INSIDERS

We are lucky enough to have posters from all walks of life with a broad spectrum of expertise. Some hold specialized knowledge that applies to the various circumstances of the cases we discuss, and can contribute valuable insight and information. We welcome their participation.

To ensure that anyone posting as a "professional" in a specific field truly is what/who they claim to be, WS employs a verification process.

The verification process also applies to "case insiders". Relatives, friends, and others personally acquainted with a victim or suspect; or a professional working on behalf of a victim or the family, i.e., a private investigator, can submit a request to be verified as a "case insider".

If you would like to become verified, please contact the site owner at wsverify@gmail.com with your Websleuths name, your real name, the case, a telephone number, and the times when you can be reached.

If you are a "professional" or "case insider", but would prefer not to be verified, please understand that you will be required to follow the general rules for posting, and back up your statements with links to appropriate sources.

More information on how to submit a request, and the information required, can be found at this link:

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...n-Process-for-Professional-or-Insider-Posters

Social Media

Approved SM Pages/Profiles

Individuals
Victim (missing or murdered person)
Suspect (as indicated by LE)

Links may be used to direct members to posts made by a victim or a suspect.

Copying and pasting, or taking screen caps, directly from these pages is not allowed.

Paraphrasing is okay.
Posts by friends and visitors are off limits.

Do not link to an individual’s (victim or suspect) social media page if you are not 100% certain it belongs to the correct individual.

If a social media page is set to private and you get in the back way, you may not post what you find. Private means private!

Public Pages
Mainstream Media (MSM)
Law Enforcement (LE)
Group support pages for victims, such as "Help Find..." and "Justice for...”
Legitimate non-profit organizations who provide assistance and support to victims and their families (e.g., Klass Kids, Texas Equusearch).

Links may be used to direct members to a post by the owner or an admin of an approved social media page/profile.

Posts by an owner or admin may be copied or quoted. This refers primarly to posts or tweets by MSM reporters, and announcements by law enforcement, the immediate family, or the admin of a group support page.
Paraphrasing is okay.

***NOTE: Comments and posts by readers/visitors of these pages are not allowed to be quoted, copied or referenced. Just don’t mention them.

Regarding group support pages, i.e., "Help Find..." and "Justice for...”: If at any time the WS staff determines a group support page to be inappropriate, a notice will be posted in the thread stating that the page is no longer approved.

Not Allowed

Social media pages that fall in the following categories are OFF LIMITS.

Family members of either a victim or a suspect
Friends of either a victim or a suspect
Most any other individual

Don't link to these pages, nor make reference to information you find on them.

Any exception must first be approved by an administrator. You can contact an administrator via private message, or send an email to websleuthscomments@gmail.com

EXAMPLE: If a suspect has been arrested for a crime relevant to the discussion topic, and you want to post a Facebook screencap from his/her personal page, you must first obtain approval from administration.

One more thing.....if it's your opinion state it as so, if it's fact add a link to back your fact up.

Thanks!

In many of the similar cases where men have went missing from bars, the video surveillance was described as being "grainy" and not much help to LE. So I don't know if it's just the Short North bars that have poor cameras or if this is generally the case at many bars across the country?

There is one video that I can think of online of a young man who disappeared from a bar where he is shown on video from a business across the street. He is shown on the sidewalk (just outside the bar entrance) stumbling around and it appears as though he's trying to remove his clothing as if he is very warm. IIRC, the temperatures outside that night were very cold. It shows him stumbling around and then he walks out of the camera view.

I'll look up the video and come back and post it.

I was just thinking of this last night...there's a lot of money spent in the Short North- and I think those businesses need to be more concerned about their patrons safety. I wish there was like a petition we could start or something urging these places in very busy areas to get better surveillance. It might be too late to help Joey, but it could end up helping a number of other people.

Just a notion....Just throwing this out there..
Some folks, understandingly, IMO can find help in a support group. But just saying, when/ if someone decides they want that , find a "crime victim" support group. IMO There are very different dynamics IMO that need to be processed, compared to a grief or depression group. IMO,group is more helpful than individual therapy, IMO for this tradegy.

jmoo

I found this link for those that might want help:
-
Just throwing out a thought ....this is trama.............

http://www.211centralohio.org/Match...ictim Support;831;Crime Victim Support Groups

Would anyone technically know how to post some "visuals" of what a person, walking out the staff door or back door or (you know what I mean! ) and what is there, and what it looks like.. From that door what would they walk by?

I am having issues (!) with grainy video . They took weeks , in Zach case, to declare that they had actually had more than one video. There are cameras everywhere these days. Bathroom cameras are probably a year away!!

LE has enancement stuff IMO. We can find Pluto and Mars - it just IMO seems incredulous that in Zach case, here, the terrorist attacks noone seems to be able to "see" anything. IMO - its numbing and IMO just do not fly! Not to Pluto!!!! I hope LE counted the number of cameras in the place.

In missing persons cases I do not understand why they do not release them. I understand it is painful to close people - but like the Boston Marathon - it totally helped LE. When one, IMO is looking for something it is helpful to let another person know your missing something................... just my notions (it is frustrating tho)

IMO all these missing men (I do not think this applies to JOey) could result in a public service message.

I hope this does not come off as sexist - but generally speaking ladies prefer to go out with others. I think we all are learning that men seem to be getting hurt or killed as well. WIth all the cell phones everyone has, if one is on Grinder or something like it, why not send who ever your going to meet with to a friend, added safety. If in a bar , everyone is selfing one another.Same deal, when one decides to go home or wherever with a stranger, why not snap one then quietly send it forward to a friend. I was surprised to learn that it is kinda common for people to just "leave" and go . Surprised me!

In my day never. In actuality how it worked when one found someone they wanted to trick with, we would bring the person over to our friends so they could meet him. Yes, evaluate them And, in my day, if a couple of friends (quitly or eyes you like they wanna talk to you in private, ) and tells another, I am getting bad vibes from this guy, there would be times would we might not proceed with our plan!!

After learning about all these cases IMO its time we males,realize we are not immune and rough and tough and can take care of ourselves and not get jhurt. The numbers seem to be telling us something different.....

In many of the similar cases where men have went missing from bars, the video surveillance was described as being "grainy" and not much help to LE. So I don't know if it's just the Short North bars that have poor cameras or if this is generally the case at many bars across the country?

There is one video that I can think of online of a young man who disappeared from a bar where he is shown on video from a business across the street. He is shown on the sidewalk (just outside the bar entrance) stumbling around and it appears as though he's trying to remove his clothing as if he is very warm. IIRC, the temperatures outside that night were very cold. It shows him stumbling around and then he walks out of the camera view.

I'll look up the video and come back and post it.

I think you may be referring to Joshua Szostak from New York. If not, add him to the list.

Here is the last time that he was seen alive:

[video=youtube;TK0i-dYLCNg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TK0i-dYLCNg[/video]

At 3 min. Josh is by the car on the left, at 4 min. he is by the car on the right.

And here is a thread about him:

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?57912-NY-Joshua-Szostak-21-Albany-29-Dec-2007/page2&

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joe Cool wannabe
Back