Found Deceased OH - Joey LaBute, 26, Columbus, 4 March 2016 #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I think you may be referring to Joshua Szostak from New York. If not, add him to the list.

Here is the last time that he was seen alive:

[video=youtube;TK0i-dYLCNg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TK0i-dYLCNg[/video]

At 3 min. Josh is by the car on the left, at 4 min. he is by the car on the right.

And here is a thread about him:

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?57912-NY-Joshua-Szostak-21-Albany-29-Dec-2007/page2&

He appears to go back into the bar ???

I think you may be referring to Joshua Szostak from New York. If not, add him to the list.

Here is the last time that he was seen alive:

[video=youtube;TK0i-dYLCNg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TK0i-dYLCNg[/video]

At 3 min. Josh is by the car on the left, at 4 min. he is by the car on the right.

And here is a thread about him:

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?57912-NY-Joshua-Szostak-21-Albany-29-Dec-2007/page2&

Yes, this is the video I was referring to last night and I had difficulty finding it again because I couldn't recall the young mans name. Another very sad and strange case.

Thank you for posting the video.

He appears to go back into the bar ???

No, he walks off view in the lower right corner. The video is sooo grainy it's really hard to keep track of him. It shows him taking off his jacket before he walks away.

There is supposedly a video of Zachary Marr showing him on a bridge and then going into the Charles River in Boston, but I don't believe that video has ever been released by LE.

Some drugs can increase your heart rate and raise blood pressure which can give you a warm sensation. I know ecstasy is notorious for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some drugs can increase your heart rate and raise blood pressure which can give you a warm sensation. I know ecstasy is notorious for that.

X can literally cause one to to overheat (hyperthermia).

X can literally cause one to to overheat (hyperthermia).

I wonder if that might explain all the freezing men thrown out by bouncers , or going for a smoke w/o a coat when it is 9 defrees out?

The drug alcohol can make you feel hot while making you more susceptible to hypothermia.

Joey seems to have been a popular, outgoing, well liked young man. As a result Websleuths will not be verifying friends and acquaintances. There would simply be too many. If any of Joey's family members are reading here and would like to post as verified insiders they are more than welcomed. the process for verification can be found here: http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...nal-or-Insider-Posters&highlight=Verification

WS is blessed to have quite a few local members who are familiar with the Short North area, and the community. Those providing the local flavor are very appreciated by those following the case from a distance.

So little information is being released on this case that leaves members with little else to do but go over the same information and chew on the few facts we have been provided. In other words, speculate. Speculation is what we do here, within reason. Speculation must be based in fact. What does that mean? that means we can speculate, within reason, that possibly Joey's sexual orientation was a factor. Was he targeted? Maybe. Was it random? Equally possible. We simply do not know. We do not even have Cause of Death yet from the ME. Given the fact that police are investigating his death as "suspicious" and the ME has stated that "There is a high probability that he was dead prior to going in the river," it is fair game to speculate that Joey met with foul play.

Theories must be based in some sort of fact.

Fact: Joey was an openly gay man.

Fact: Police are investigating the death as suspicious

Fact: Joey was last seen enjoying a drink at a popular gay friendly bar "Union Cafe"

Fact: Toxicology results have not been provided or are not yet in so speculation about drug use is out of line.

As with any case where someone may have met with foul play, police will be looking at those around the victim. Lovers, friends, family, coworkers. They will examine the circumstances of the evening of his disappearance. All of those bits of information are open to speculation as members theorize.

We are a victim friendly site. Therefore there will not be bashing of victim or his family. Please theorize respectfully with that in mind.

Thanks,
'
tlcya

ETA Since LE has not decided if there was foul play, there are obviously no named persons of interest of suspects. Theorizing and speculation should be broad. No one is sluethable so keep that in mind when speculating.

Here is an example of why we must be careful when making judgements. The case of Luke Gabbert, a local college student that was found dead in a nearby river. He had come up missing after midnight (just like Joey), and he was drinking (just like Joey ; getting water indicates that Joey probably was drinking). There were no traumatic outside injuries (just like Joey).

The autopsy and toxicology report just came back today. Luke had died from falling and hypothermia.

References:
http://blog.owu.edu/transcript/2016/02/23/the-final-moments-of-luke-gabbert-2/
http://abc6onyourside.com/news/local/owu-student-athlete-found-in-creek-died-from-fall-hypothermia

thank you eric136, you are exactly right. Suspicious does not mean foul play. It simply means foul play may be at work.

But, but, but...was Joey drinking that night?

:thinking:

We only know, from his cousin's account, that he'd had at least one glass of water. It's not unreasonable to think he may have had something else during the course of the night, either alcoholic or non-, but leaping to any conclusion that he was impaired seems unwarranted to me.

Do you guys think they are gonna release anything or is this just gonna go the way Zach did??

--the intial reports all referanced going to get "water" which struck me as unique at that time in the evening with that confernace in town.

They have some bad stuff apparently, but trust me any gay community loves it when all sorts of "new" men come in town - - just how it works ......... parteeeeeeeeeeeeee

and i assume a lot of conferance attendees would have a hotel room near the conference.........

-------------------------------------------------Medical Examiners-----------------------------------------------------------

A death is suspicious if it is unexpected and its circumstances or cause are medically or legally unexplained. Normally, this occurs in the context of medical care, suicide or suspected criminal activity.

.........75 percent of U.S. deaths taking place in hospitals or nursing homes, most deaths occur as routines in well-prepared places, surrounded by specialized staff who manage culturally appropriate passings....

...coroners are now public officials, appointed or elected. They do not necessarily have medical backgrounds or training in death investigation..........in some counties, anyone can become a coroner, so that the post has been held by tow-truck drivers, paramedics, plumbers, bar owners, nurses, carpenters, police officers, and funeral directors....... most systems switched between 1955 and 1985

....Eighteen states now have a mix of coroner and medical examiner systems, and medical examiners are the sole death investigators in twenty-two states, .......

... manner of death (suicide, accident, homicide, natural death, or undetermined death..........

.... cause of death is "a disease, abnormality, injury, or poisoning that contributed directly or indirectly to death," .......... manner of death is not legally binding for law enforcement or prosecution but is a crucial part of fact-finding in criminal investigations.

...their work is never simply about documenting the results from toxicology, histology, or pathology. Rather, they must reconcile deeply held moral values with the pathological signs of the body.....

For medical examiners, cultural authority lies in their ability to shape the understanding of relatives and other audiences about what suspicious death is....

,,,,,the medical examiner’s office starts from the assumption that the corpse harbors the secrets of its demise and that the death investigator’s task is to reveal this knowledge for the public good.,,,,

...we depend on medical examiners to be society’s brokers of suspicious death: expert intermediaries who negotiate and establish the meaning of violent and suspicious deaths. ....

....any death investigation might be contested,....

..medical examiners, professional authority encompasses the ways they investigate deaths and have each determination accepted as valid.........

In near unison, patients, relatives, and health care providers report that they envision a "good" death as occurring with pain and symptoms under control, conscious decision making at the end, time to prepare for death, spiritual closure, an opportunity to reciprocate to others, and affirmation of the whole person.

most deaths make medical sense: a diabetic patient was known to have had bad coronary arteries; a nursing home resident had been treated for advanced liver carcinomas; a child died after a lengthy bout with lymphoma; emergency-department staff noticed a heart attack in progress on the EKG monitor of a middle-aged woman and were unable to reverse the process. .....

........ medical history links an individual’s death to the big natural killers: heart disease, cancer, stroke, and infectious diseases. The pattern softens the inevitability of the passing. ......

...for old people, a death of natural causes is tolerated in light of life’s achievements and the physical decline and suffering associated with aging. Even without a strong medical history, the elderly are expected to live with the possibility of pending death..........

.......when deaths fall outside this interpretive medical spectrum, however, the social order of dying is disturbed. About 20 percent of people die in suspicious circumstances, meaning out of place and time.......

death becomes suspicious not only when crime is involved, but also when the passing escapes a medical prognosis: when people die without medical records, when they die unexpectedly under medical care, or when they die because of trauma in a medical setting.............

spite of their legal authority, coroners often had little legal knowledge; some lacked even basic literacy skills. Coroners initially operated on a fee-for-service basis, receiving payment at each inquest. In New York City, at the turn of the twentieth century, they first became salaried .............

medical examiners require them to be physicians, and most demand additional certification in anatomical and forensic pathology.......

http://press.uchicago.edu/Misc/Chicago/803988.html

wikopedia

I do not think this is Joey (Smiley)

I aint that smart. Question of the day:

Explain, in detail, the reasons why you think LE has not connected the dots regarding the rash of missing men. Be sure to address the following: Funding/Failed MO class/Apathy
Map.jpg

Silly me, I think it is a long haul trucker, possibly very ugly with resentment of dudes that have friends, educated, disposable income,water ritual issues?

Google images

scenes in Ohio, Pennsylvania, Indiana, Wisconsin and Iowa. In all they found victims in 25 cities, across 11 states, along the Interstate 94 corridor that they believe were killed by the gang.

The red on the map looks like a smiley Joker mouth/smile.. 😦

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk

Unless there is some new information released or new development, i think we are just rehashing over the same info. There just doesn't seem to be a way at this point to be able to draw any conclusions -or- to steer us in one particular direction. There isn't enough information available that has been made public.

You know what occurred to me today, this is over. I think we all have been holding onto the tox report, but if you think about it,maybe the exception would be ruffies, but oputside of that, in terms of the many mysteries of that evening, the only thing that is IMO, going to answer any questions is an arrest.............................and for some reason the classic first 48 hours seems possibly applicalbe here ....

Whatever the tox is, in Joeys context we wont be able tell vol/ invol if anything comes back and is released........ solely becasuse of all the complexity and missing pieces, a tox is not going to answer any of them IMO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cheeseDreams
Back