Found Deceased OH - Joey LaBute, 26, Columbus, 4 March 2016 #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
10TV has the article (link above) posted on FB. Joe Labute, Joey's dad, was the first to comment. He said (I'm paraphrasing) that they've always known he left Union alone, and there are absolutely no new leads or developments in the case. He is upset with the misleading title of the article ("New Leads in the Disapperance of Joey Labute") as well as the fact that the reporter has released the "old" information to the public (he writes, "Tylar Bacome, tell me where you got this.") Take this for what you will.

I believe Joey got up, walked to his car, drove to wherever to do whatever, re-parked the car, and then something happened to him. I think he may have suffered fatal injuries from a fight that happened due to a mugging or attempted robbery.

HIs car was parked about 1.5 tenths of a mile (700 feet) from the Olentangy River, which flows into the Scioto River. Based on the water currents i have seen, i personally can see a body flowing downstream.

There is an article (i will have to look for it again) where a body traveled 170 miles in 3 days (not the Scioto or Olentangy).

I don't think he knowingly and willingly left his cousins and walked towards the river.
I am still set on CPD knowing the perp and exactly what happened to poor Joey. It just seems like that information will ever be shared with us. I am really upset that the media has been silent since the week Joey was found. I now that tox results take a pretty long time to come back, but when they do come back, are the results even going to be made public?
This case continues to be extremely unsettling to me.
There has to be a reason as to why Joey's cell records have not been shared. I know that CPD had that information probably within days of his disappearance. So, what gives?

I know how you feel. At the very least they should give the public some info so we know a killer isn't running loose. I just don't know why they'd be so hush-hush about it if they did have someone confess, even if it was just to confess to putting him in the water. That kind of stuff gets in the news so I can't figure out what's up. Hopefully the family will start talking to friends and word will spread on what the police actually think happened to him. Idk if toxicology reports are public. I think they are but not sure. Maybe I'll call the coroner sometime in the coming weeks and ask if it is public record. People here are saying it takes 8 weeks after autopsy to get results back. So we shall see. He had to have died of something that wasn't detectable in the autopsy though and the only things I can come up with are: hypothermia, suffocation (not strangulation), OD, dry drowning (you'll have to look that last on up for definition). The coroner didn't say it wasn't drowning, just said she's not 100% sure that he wasn't already dead prior to entering the water. So if toxicology test come back negative, she'll probably go with "undetermined" and say it was probably a drowning but not 100% positive. Could Joey swim?

I would like to know if his phone was on him when they found him. And of course I'd like to know how he died. Maybe he did fall in the water at that park, sat on the bank, passed out, and died of hypothermia, water rose days later just enough to pull him back in. I don't really think that's what went down but I'm trying to figure out how else he could've died if it wasn't drowning or OD on drugs or alcohol or both. I'm curious what the toxicology results will show.

Hi you two!

He was bar hopping! i def think he said nothing to anyone is he thought he would be back soon . Many of us agree on that. I sadly do not think the tox is going to tell us one key fact if substances found , were the bad drugs, Forced /laced/or vol injust designer drugs Extasy we wont know if laced . I suppose if the tox comes back with date rape that answers and opens up another matter.
s on this thread have , to the amazing of many, is not a character smear. Single people in their 20, in a gay bar on a hook up site ............pretty clear intentions ....nor a judgemnt in any way -----people are sexual entites - there is no judg
Water messes with seman. But if somehow semen invovned well that gives us more info and motive for leaving . Leaving to go have sex , has in some instancemetn is saying he migh have wanted to have sex that night.IMOe Where he was found (cruise park ) , reasonable assumption that he went there to have sex.

Again IMo different strokes for different folks, there is no character attack to say that someone likes having sex in a car, a barn, upside down, who cares, how that got turned into a judegement of his character bewildered many as well.

But it did IMO

Dads response i thouoght was odd - why be mad at new info??

These reports can take 8 weeks to get back. I would think we would hear somehow.

i looked it up in Mass you can mail in a form and get it when done b by law it is public record , unlike Zach where in Boston next of kin have to release it

Whoa. They have him on surveillance camera leaving Union alone. That is new public information, at least to me. Last I heard, regarding cameras, is that Union's were too low quality to pick him out. That is a really interesting tidbit of information as it dispels the notion that he was drugged and led out of the bar or went through the back exit to make a phone call.

The front entrance/exit to Union does not empty out right onto High Street. There's a front patio and you must take a slight right then walk down a few steps to be on High. If a business across the street has him on camera, they know which direction he travelled on High from Union. From there, with a time stamp, they should have been able to track some of his movements as he walked down High from other businesses' cameras (at least until he went down a side street).

I wonder if the direction he headed was consistent with where his car was parked.

According to the article, they have mutliple reports that he was seen leaving Union, and he is also seen on survellience tape leaving alone. “We have multiple reports that he was seen leaving Union,” Cozad said. Now 10TV has learned one of a handful of surveillance cameras in the area shows LaBute walk out of Union Café alone." So people saw him leaving the bar and/or walking down High St. alone.

While this may not be new information to the family, it is definitely new information to the general public. The article concludes by asking anyone who may have seen anything suspicious around the 700 block of North High St. to call police. That leads me to believe that they have released this information to the public with the hopes that if people saw him walking alone, someone saw something more along this busy street the night Joey disappeared. "Sources who’ve seen the video say detectives are trying to determine who he may have met after that." They obviously know or have some kind of information that leads them to believe he left the bar to meet up with someone. I am thinking his phone/phone records would provide information as to who he was communicating with or planning to meet?

Also in the article: "We have also learned pending toxicology reports could be affected by the amount of time LaBute’s body was in the Scioto River." This implies Joey was in the water for an extended period of time. And we may not get answers from the tox report.

These reports can take 8 weeks to get back. I would think we would hear somehow.

This is a generalized "wondering" of mine that can probably relate to any death - criminal or not... But your post made me think about it.
When you hear of them getting toxicology reports after someone dies, you will usually hear that it will be back in "x" weeks or "x" months.

How (and how complicated) is toxicology actually determined for a deceased person?

Anyone that's tried to get a job, been on probation or has been prescribed some form of controlled drug lately has to get a drug-screen to prove they haven't been doing any drugs (or have been doing them in regard to prescriptions). Those are generally a "piss-test" but are sometimes done via taking a blood sample.

My mom's a doctor and I work in her office, so I know that those results are generally back pretty soon (if sample is sent to lab) or basically immediately (if it's a test that is run at the actual office). The same is true with other "toxicology-ish" things, such as checking to see if someone has too much or too little of something in their system. That would be if someone could possibly have lead-poisoning or whether they make too much/little thyroid hormone.

I know that your blood doesn't circulate and you don't produce urine after death and all that.
I just want to know why the toxicology report for a dead person seems to take exponentially longer than very similar tests on living people.
Does anybody know?

This is a generalized "wondering" of mine that can probably relate to any death - criminal or not... But your post made me think about it.
When you hear of them getting toxicology reports after someone dies, you will usually hear that it will be back in "x" weeks or "x" months.

How (and how complicated) is toxicology actually determined for a deceased person?

Anyone that's tried to get a job, been on probation or has been prescribed some form of controlled drug lately has to get a drug-screen to prove they haven't been doing any drugs (or have been doing them in regard to prescriptions). Those are generally a "piss-test" but are sometimes done via taking a blood sample.

My mom's a doctor and I work in her office, so I know that those results are generally back pretty soon (if sample is sent to lab) or basically immediately (if it's a test that is run at the actual office). The same is true with other "toxicology-ish" things, such as checking to see if someone has too much or too little of something in their system. That would be if someone could possibly have lead-poisoning or whether they make too much/little thyroid hormone.

I know that your blood doesn't circulate and you don't produce urine after death and all that.
I just want to know why the toxicology report for a dead person seems to take exponentially longer than very similar tests on living people.
Does anybody know?

toxicology actually determined for a deceased person?

so agree my doc gets my blood stuff in 72 hours .............They did releasw Whitney Houstons daughters for half a year - she was a pharmacy in her bloodstream ... bunch of cr*p

This just in- another male body found in scioto- behind cosi- right down town.
How eerie......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Body of man recovered from Scioto River near COSI

By Jim Woods
The Columbus Dispatch • Monday April 18, 2016 7:33 PM

The body of a man has been recovered this evening from the Scioto River near Downtown.

Columbus firefighters responded at 6:54 p.m. to a report of a body in the river near COSI, between the Broad and Rich Street bridges. Tangela Post, 36, and Kaylee Chmielewski, 15, both of the South Side, reported that they saw two women who were in a canoe in the Scioto and spotted the body. Those women contacted the authorities, who recovered the body from near the river's western bank.

No other information about the victim was available.

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2016/04/18/body-found-in-scioto.html

If I am reading the map correctly, this body was found just upstream of Audubon park? Or is it downstream?

Wow... Now I just got a news update that a female body has just been found in the scioto river . What the hell is going on?

Wow... Now I just got a news update that a female body has just been found in the scioto river . What the hell is going on?

What the?????!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

What the?????!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I don't know ... It's just all too weird . Can't help but think that it might be possible that there is a connection ?

Also, the female body was found basically in same vicinity of the river .

I don't know about OH, but, where I am April and May are when most bodies are found floating. Its the water temps warming up.

I don't know about OH, but, where I am April and May are when most bodies are found floating. Its the water temps warming up.

Same here - it's really evident in Cleveland on shores of Lake Erie . We had a mild winter and Columbus is significantly warmer than Cleveland . Bodies surfacing in spring is something that usually doesn't happen in scioto in Columbus.
Evidently, detectives indicated that the male body hadn't been in water that long .

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cheeseDreams
Back