Found Deceased OH - Joey LaBute, 26, Columbus, 4 March 2016 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I don't believe it was an accident. If ghb is a date rape drug and it killed him, then that's murder. I don't like that it's treated like something he chose to do. His death has always been understated, as a crime. It's not right.

And what happened with video dude? Why was he on radar? And was he found?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Totally agree. I was given ghb in a spiked drink once. Lucky for me, I had the tolerance of an elephant (reality: 19 year old female) was able to get a phone call made before mostly passing out. It was terrible...if I'd died that night, it would have been murder.

Totally agree. I was given ghb in a spiked drink once. Lucky for me, I had the tolerance of an elephant (reality: 19 year old female) was able to get a phone call made before mostly passing out. It was terrible...if I'd died that night, it would have been murder.

Exactly, someone known to me had received a " gibberish '' call/text from a friend who immediately knew something was wrong, so went and saved that person whom it turned out had been given a spiked drink.
People who secretly give others GHB or other drugs, are dangerously close to being murderers!
Reminded of this when i read about Joey's gibberish text.
imo, speculation.

Spiked drinks is a real possibility here. The gay night club Axis directly across High Street from Union has chronic issues and allegations of spiked drinks. That's common knowledge in the Columbus gay community. I only order bottled beer there as a result. I think there's a chance Joey was heading over to Axis. Wasn't mention made of him not being dressed appropriately for the weather? No need to be if you're only going across the street. It was around the right time of night to transition from Union to Axis. Maybe he went over to say a quick hello and thought he'd be back in no time to say bye to his cousins. The ditching his cousins part puzzles me. Whatever he was doing he didn't think he would be gone long. By the way so happy to see activity here.

The reddit thread was very good. I was not aware that Joey was out celebrating his cousin's husband, who himself just came out as gay! That introduces a few different possibilities for motive. Perhaps Joey was involved with the husband, causing the cousin to feel the need to retaliate. Perhaps she spiked his drink, but that doesn't explain how he got into the river, so I am discounting this theory. However, I did notice the article mention that Joey's cousin left the bar because she was not feeling well anymore. There are no more details, but I would be curious to know if she drank from Joey's drink at all. It would make sense, if Joey was given a spiked drink, there is a possibility she drank a small amount of it, leading to her illness. The comments on the article also bring up the possibility that Joey's ex-roomate and former best friend, Justin Mertz could be a good suspect. He was the bar tender that night, he admitted that the two had a bit of a falling out recently, and Joey parked at his place, since he still had a parking permit from when they both lived together. In this scenario, perhaps Joey, who was gay, told Justin, his childhood friend and roommate, he had feelings for him, thus leading to the fallout. The night Joey died, perhaps Justin over served him, knowing Joey was parked at his place. They could have met up later that night, and Justin could have offered Joey a place to stay since he was drunk. It is anyone's guess what could have happened after that.

I remember many years ago, two friends went on the Jenny Jones show, one was straight, while the other was gay. The gay guy told the straight guy he had a crush on him on national TV! This upset the straight guy so much, he murdered his gay friend a few days later. Perhaps something similar happened here, i.e., Joey told Justin his feelings, or Justin did something sexual with Joey and later regretted it and wanted to silence Joey.

The key to me is the fact that Joey's body was found without his wallet, phone or keys. If Joey simply fell into the water after a night of drinking too much, you would expect his pants to have at least one of the items still in his pocket. The fact they all are missing, cries out for an explanation. This leads to believe there was foul play here.

Either the former roommate had a really good alibi, or was not seriously considered by investigators. However, I think he deserves a close look. If not him, then I will fall back on my original idea that Joey met up with someone nefarious that night, and he was killed, or died while in the company of said person. The person purposely took the wallet phone and keys, to hide any evidence, before throwing the body into the river. I think the phone would be of real concern to the killer because it was most likely behind a password wall, and if they met on Grindr, or another adult meeting app, their chats would still be there, so that would definitely have to go!

Really sad case, I feel like there is no urge to solve it and that is unfair to the families.

I saw the detective mention GHB possibly playing a role in his death, which I find interesting, especially in light of the fact the Arnold Classic body building competition was in town, and GHB is VERY popular with body builders. I have always thought that someone in town for that event was responsible for LaBute's death.

Homosexuality and GBH are two undertones in the body building community. I would be curious to know what "type" of men LaBute was into. If he liked the "muscle daddy" types, then there is a good chance said person could also have had the GHB, since it is very common in those circles.

"GHB is one of the most popular yet clandestine substances used by bodybuilders"

https://thinksteroids.com/articles/ghb-usefulness-for-bodybuilders/

Not terribly likely, but noting that Joey's case was mentioned on a thread for possible victims of alleged sk, Bruce McArthur's thread.
BM was known to travel great deal and use dating apps. fwiw, speculation.
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?367757-Canada-Bruce-McArthur-charged-in-murders-of-six-men-Toronto-2010-2017-2
Canada - Bruce McArthur charged in murders of six men, Toronto, 2010-2017
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/s...eged-serial-killer-Bruce-McArthur-1970-s-2018
Possible victims of alleged serial killer, Bruce McArthur 1970's-2018

A possible new notion?

Def think we are talking about an trucker which would explain the distances between murders, might also increase the likelihood of being keeping deceased bodies in cab of truck as opposed to somewhere that has neighbors

Wondering if we are talking about in several of these cases if we are actually talking perp having a Drowning fetish.It sure fits a lot of these especially the case that was changed to homicide ( hair in victims hands )

It is one of the few that indicates violence

Might also have relevance to many not being not being found in searched areas but then being found there

it could indicate some drowning arousal and taking victim back somewhere ( ie Dahmer)

The similarity in looks body size etc etc does reflect typical attraction patterns most have

Most being socially accepted could also relate to revenge and envey in conjunction with watching most victims having fun and being with others

Perp possibly feeling powerness is the classic what is more power than to have control over someone lives

that notion might also imply Dahmer again . The idea of wanting to keep them with him or her longer after murdering them (related to loneliness)

The connection with some gay victims might indicate tormented sexual identity while still yearning to kill and possibly beleiving that most victims in his mind were gay .

This hit me as there would be some connections between the similar MO's of many of the missing c ases related to males in water

in joeys case we know for fact that he was dead before being tossed in so there might actually nefarous in many others

wonder if there is some relationship to some having wallets cell phones on them while others don't might be more related to how long victim was kept with perp for whatever reasons

wonder if how long in water and found is one or the other related to which have id etc on them and other ones who don't

The consistency in most victims being impaired would make taling victim easier than a non impaired male.

if we think about it if that is what is related to a cluster of this type of killings (drowning fetish) it would seem to provide some connections to many of the tragedies as it relates to the similarities of many missing cases found in bodies of water.

The wallet etc found or not might also indicate a intelligent murderer - change it to throw off authorities while at the same time most victims were educated which might fit in with selection patterns OR low iq and envy of victims with college histories

age similarities correlate with attraction patterns . Most were similar body types as well

moo but as i became more familiar with the number of missing men cases I def do thinks some of them are related and committed by the same perp -- a serial killer.

The number of cases around I-90 would seem to support the 18 wheeler notion while reducing the likelihood of capture in that LE agencies of all types were involved . That would mute a serial killer notion ( as oppossed to a cluster of killing in an area. LE would come up with the notion of a serial killer being in the area.

A serial killer in a limited area would also increase members of that area being alert and more aware of odd things increasing the likelihood of capture. In one area there would be an emphasis on not being alone and watching your friends when out which would reduce the ease of capturing a victim.

An 18 wheeler would facilitate escape from the area of the victim being taken. Pretty much all a trucker would have to do is be careful about speed and the likelihood of getting of found out

18 wheelers might also help with dealing the problem of decomp and related odor concerns. A trucker could just park his 18 wheeler in an isolated area when not moving

It might explain the victims being found in an area of initial disappearance radious. The return to the scene of the murder kind of thing. The variations in time till returned to the initial area of going missing might be related to the truckers demand related to have move hauls of stuff to different areas as a function of perps vocation.

IF stopped by LE for something like speedin a large cooler in the cabin of the truck would not be a concern of LE in a stop - just makes some sense. A cooler would reduce the problems related to decomp and odor - slows it down

Using cold climates would also facilitate that problem as well.

In all frankness - most of the victims could appear to be gay as it relates to stereotypes (groomed dress _ Another thing I have found bothersome is teeth. They all had good teeth and smiles were similar

I certainly don't think this is all of them and that some of them were related to temperature or inebriation , while at the same time the cluster of similarities in many of the tragedies pretty has to IMo lead to a conclusion that many of them appear related and connected to one perp with a specific MO.

The trucker occupation certainly explains a lot as it relates to expansive location of victims . It also facilitates the capacity to be trolling around at late night- as opposed to a 9-5er or shift worker.

The use of hook up apps in some of the cases might reflect more of an increased awareness of sites like that and who knows those might have been used in a lot more of these than we know. No cell phone would make that harder to determine.

but an interesting notion -- a drowning fetish either related to murder or sexual angle or both - but sure might help in terms of addressing the similarities between a lot of these. There are IMO too many broad similarities make it more a single perp that this general notion of a bunch of dudes falling into water and dying.

Many of the cases are located in areas that had been heavily searched prior --that certainly supports the notion of returning to the a scene of the crime a hallmark of a serial killer . Most serial killers have some ritualistic angle as well .

The choice of discarding in water also would increase the likelihood of throwing off LE --throwing the notion of suicide into cops thinking. People in woods or buried certainly leads to homicide conclusion more so than drowning. Very few have, per friends and family ,consistently verbilze no notion of depression or suicidal ideation. There have been no cases that I am aware of where psyc meds were found in tox screens . Most did not seem to have a recent sudden loss which might trigger self harm. Most did not have as far as we know financial issues at the time of their disappearance. There has not been relationship breakups prior to their to disappearance and later discovery. We have not heard any frequency of victims family systems have mental illness as far we know

As far as we know drug addiction has not been present in most of these .

Not really suggesting smiley killer- more of a serial killer where a drowning fetish might explain much all speculation and moo

Last edited:
Def think we are talking about an trucker which would explain the distances between murders, might also increase the liklihood of being keeping deceased bodies in cab of truck as oppossed to somewhere that has neighbors

Wondering if we are talking about in several of these cases if we are actually talking perp having a Drowning fetish.It sure fits a lot of these especially the case that was changed to homicide ( hair in victims hands )

It is one of the few that indicates violence

Might also have relevance to many not being not being found in searched areas but then being found there

it could indicate some drowning arousal and taking victim back somewhere ( ie Dahmer)

The similarity in looks body size etc etc does reflect typical attraction patterns most have

Most being socially accepted could also relate to revenge and envey in conjunction with watching most victims having fun and being with others

Perp possibly feeling powerness is the classic what is more power than to have control over someone lives

that notion might also imply Dahmer again . The idea of wanting to keep them with him or her longer after murdering them (related to loneliness)

The connection with some gay victims might indicate tormented sexual identity while still yearning to kill and possibly beleiving that most victims in his mind were gay .

This hit me as there would be some connections between the similar MO's of many of the missing c ases related to males in water

in joeys case we know for fact that he was dead before being tossed in so there might actually nefarous in many others

wonder if there is some relationship to some having wallets cell phones on them while others don't might be more related to how long victim was kept with perp for whatever reasons

wonder if how long in water and found is one or the other related to which have id etc on them and other ones who don't

The consistency in most victims being impaired would make taling victim easier than a non impaired male.
Never heard of a drowning fetish til now, interesting!
The Smiley Face Killers: More Than 100 Drugged Young Men Found Dead from 'Accidental Drowning' – The New Nationalist
April 29, 2018
"During the last couple decades and increasingly in recent years, the bodies of more than 100 missing young men have been recovered from water and deemed “accidentally dead”. Other than in recent years, it was rare to hear an account of a man leaving a bar or special event venue and then turn up dead in a body of water.

Aside from a cluster in the Northeast, many attended colleges near the Interstate 94 corridor in the Midwest; namely Minnesota, Wisconsin and Iowa. But as time goes on, more and more bodies matching the same profile and bizarre pattern of demise are being discovered throughout the U.S and UK.

It’s a pertinent fact that young women are rarely found “drowned of misadventure” after partying in bars or being out late at night. It seems to be a peculiarly and recent male occurance. Increasingly in recent years, men who were last seen leaving a party, a bar or event where they were drinking, then go missing and are later discovered dead, are more likely to have the date-rape drug GHB or similar chemical in their system, autopsies find.

Yes, GHB is a popular club drug — but it’s ridiculous notion that someone would mix alcohol (a depressant) with GHB (a depressant) and then suddenly feel an overwhelming need to go for a swim in a cold river alone at night."

Never heard of a drowning fetish til now, interesting!
The Smiley Face Killers: More Than 100 Drugged Young Men Found Dead from 'Accidental Drowning' – The New Nationalist
April 29, 2018
"During the last couple decades and increasingly in recent years, the bodies of more than 100 missing young men have been recovered from water and deemed “accidentally dead”. Other than in recent years, it was rare to hear an account of a man leaving a bar or special event venue and then turn up dead in a body of water.

Aside from a cluster in the Northeast, many attended colleges near the Interstate 94 corridor in the Midwest; namely Minnesota, Wisconsin and Iowa. But as time goes on, more and more bodies matching the same profile and bizarre pattern of demise are being discovered throughout the U.S and UK.

It’s a pertinent fact that young women are rarely found “drowned of misadventure” after partying in bars or being out late at night. It seems to be a peculiarly and recent male occurance. Increasingly in recent years, men who were last seen leaving a party, a bar or event where they were drinking, then go missing and are later discovered dead, are more likely to have the date-rape drug GHB or similar chemical in their system, autopsies find.

Yes, GHB is a popular club drug — but it’s ridiculous notion that someone would mix alcohol (a depressant) with GHB (a depressant) and then suddenly feel an overwhelming need to go for a swim in a cold river alone at night."

Neither than I until last night on a documentary ( it was not about Joey ) but I can't remember what site it was but it sure got my little brain rolling !!

There is an interesting book about that, "Case studies in Drowning Forensics " by Gannon and Gilbertson which highlights some of those cases in a detailed, scientific way. Quite expensive though.

ETA Just thought that you guys sure know it, duh! :oops:

To me, when you are found in the water with no water in lungs (like Joey) it is obvious that foul play is probable. But, many of these guys downed. In one case, they even had video of him walking across a bridge and falling into the water. I agree, those cases are often accidents or suicide.

Joey's case needs attention, though. He didn't die and then fall in the water himself. Its very strange.

That was the Zachary Marr tradegy and it always bugged me. That was one of the few that it felt like suicide to me pretty early on.

Le was the pitts on that case , there were major losses before it happened . The families instant declaration that it was accident was peculiar to me that certainly was BEFORE any official determination. There was a religious component to family which has issues with suicide, The family seemed offended by suicide .

Later when I learned he spend several days all alone in his mothers home that is intense.

His sudden decision to walk away in freezing weather wo jacket seemed more impulsive than an accident. Someone planning on killing themself probably would not care about cold. Pure speculation of course but ..........

The bar was not that big and IIRC the group he was with was sitting at a table -- texting them he was going out for a smoke was unique IMO

Family described his taking his mothers passing extremely hard .. The notion of getting on a train to be with family for one night kinda feels like a last time wanting to see them

His standing there waiting for them outside for only a few minutes 20 minutes before closing almost hits me more as contemplation -- why would one in a strange place without attire a cell phone walk away 20 minutes before closing? If it was like 220 it might make sense to come to the conclusion that he missed him -- but IMO from 140 to like 215 people would be exiting -- buzzed or not I would not come to the conclusion that I had missed them and now had to walk . By that I mean if the last time he was seen near the bar at 230 or something it would make sense to conclude that I had gotten separated.

This stuck me as strange Matthew Marr told the Boston Globe that he suspected Zachary might have tried to swim in the Charles River,

kinda fits in with suicide being a shaming event for family - it is certainly unique to come to that conclusion when it freezing and no jacket ??

Birthdays can be intense triggers especially after huge tragedy ( his mother) He was supposed to go pack up gmo house the following morning -- an intense process for someone who was extrmely close to

That was the Zachary Marr tradegy and it always bugged me. That was one of the few that it felt like suicide to me pretty early on.

Le was the pitts on that case , there were major losses before it happened . The families instant declaration that it was accident was peculiar to me that certainly was BEFORE any official determination. There was a religious component to family which has issues with suicide, The family seemed offended by suicide .

Later when I learned he spend several days all alone in his mothers home that is intense.

His sudden decision to walk away in freezing weather wo jacket seemed more impulsive than an accident. Someone planning on killing themself probably would not care about cold. Pure speculation of course but ..........

The bar was not that big and IIRC the group he was with was sitting at a table -- texting them he was going out for a smoke was unique IMO

Family described his taking his mothers passing extremely hard .. The notion of getting on a train to be with family for one night kinda feels like a last time wanting to see them

His standing there waiting for them outside for only a few minutes 20 minutes before closing almost hits me more as contemplation -- why would one in a strange place without attire a cell phone walk away 20 minutes before closing? If it was like 220 it might make sense to come to the conclusion that he missed him -- but IMO from 140 to like 215 people would be exiting -- buzzed or not I would not come to the conclusion that I had missed them and now had to walk . By that I mean if the last time he was seen near the bar at 230 or something it would make sense to conclude that I had gotten separated.

This stuck me as strange Matthew Marr told the Boston Globe that he suspected Zachary might have tried to swim in the Charles River,

kinda fits in with suicide being a shaming event for family - it is certainly unique to come to that conclusion when it freezing and no jacket ??

Birthdays can be intense triggers especially after huge tragedy ( his mother) He was supposed to go pack up gmo house the following morning -- an intense process for someone who was extrmely close to

Completely agree. That was exactly my feelings about that case. And it got uncomfortable trying to ignore something that seemed so obvious.

It's strange for any wife to think it worth celebrating when hubby came out gay. And to celebrate it with another gay (Joey, Jr.). Wonder if the hubby told wife: "I'm gay, I have a relationship with Joey, Jr."

Last edited:
This has probably been posted (no time to check and no harm to repost), which has a video in which we can see Stacey (cousin) and Justin's demeanor talking about the case:
Family desperate for news about missing man as search enters sixth day

I don't seen anything strange about Justin (well, that's because there are only seconds of him in the video), but IMO Stacey seemed to be a bit overplaying sadness by shedding tears in front of the cameras (she's just a cousin, while even Joey's brother didn't cry on camera), and she recounted,
"we were just having a good time, we were singing and dancing, and the next thing I knew, we were trying to get hold of him, and couldn't".

Sounds very abrupt there, from singing and dancing, to "the next thing I knew", without any details how/why they tried to get hold of him.

Maybe I'm just being over suspicious, given that's all we have.

<modsnip - removed link to social media of non-POI and discusssionnof rumor>

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope the fallout gets more attention as well.

ALSO, another avenue of inquiry might be the similarities between Joey’s case and Brian Shaffer’s. In addition to proximate location of dissappearance, there are numerous similarities in the details of the disappearance and they are strikingly similar in appearance...

It’s probably been researched or checked before but I noticed his dates name was Matt. I went through friends named Matt on joeys Facebook and one happened to have a last name similar to the text Joey sent.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abberline vs Edmund Reid
Back