OH OH - Katelyn Markham, 22, Fairfield, 14 August 2011 - #1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Katydid, I am confused on her graduation status, too........I had posted this earlier-
According to the Art Institute of Cincinnati, where I assume is the correct school, graduations are in Feb and July. So I am confused as to when she actually graduates.

JC's grandmother said she was working on a senior project (according to catalog, may be called the 'Book' and I thought JC said she graduates next month??

She also has this on FB-Class of 2010 · Graphic design
She is a cashier as the school store.
What is she graduating from??? What project??

Did something happen to throw her off course, she didn't get to actually graduate on time, and the school is letting her 'redeem' herself???
I am really confused as to what she was really doing as far as school!

So am I. I tried to locate more information and the only thing I came up with is that possibly she didn't finish her senior project in 2010 and they allowed her to finish it later. (like you) Or she took more courses and completes them this year. It is confusing.

She does go to the Ohio Art Institute - Cincinnati.

I am on the fence about that.[ BBM] Either they think they know what happened already, and so they are waiting to get the evidence in hand, OR they do not know, not even where to search right now.

Sadly, I lost a lot of faith in LE in the Hailey Dunn debacle. Thinking that they KNEW what happened and arrests were imminent, and now things feel ice cold.

That experience makes me kind of doubt this situation a little. Maybe they do not have any real solid idea and are just waiting and watching?

The family dynamic is odd in this case. I wonder if KM had reached out and found her birthfamily recently. Sometimes that creates lots of drama too.

I really don't know is they know anything. I believe they messed up by not searching her apartment, letting the family remove items, then having the SBI come in and search after the fact. jmo

I don't know how many searches they had or where they had them but from other post I believe these searches weren't all lead by LE or SAR. Probably a mistake. imo

I think LE doesn't really know much of anything. BUT, I hope I am wrong!

I've been working on breaking down the information we have regarding the disappearance of Miss Markham into separate files in an effort to keep everything clear. Because so much of what information we've been able to gather so far has come from Mr. Carter -- whose uncorroborated statements/version of events should be looked at separately -- and as we are currently 40 pages and nearly 1000 posts in, I thought now would be a good time to go back and look at the facts again. None of the following items have been pulled from statements made by Mr. Carter or anyone other than LE:

FACTS

KM was reported missing Sunday, August 14, 2011.

KM’s car was found parked in its usual spot behind her townhouse.

KM’s purse, keys, and dog were found inside her townhouse.

KM’s (red) cell phone is missing.

KM’s cell phone (including GPS device on her phone) was turned off around 12:45 a.m. Sunday, 8/14/11. Her phone has not been accessed since.

KM did not show up for work at either of her two jobs, David’s Bridal at Tri-County Mall (noon-6 p.m. Sundays)/Art Institute of Ohio - Cincinnati campus store, on Sunday, 8/14/11.

Police: No signs that KM left voluntarily or involuntarily. No signs of struggle or foul play inside her townhouse, but foul play cannot be ruled out.

Police: Ground searches for KM suspended after searches on foot and by helicopter, air boat, mounted ranger from the Hamilton County Park District, and All-Terrain Vehicles turned up no evidence.

Sacred Heart Church Festival was going on approximately 0.4 miles from KM’s townhouse the weekend of her disappearance (6 p.m.-midnight Friday 8/12, 5:30 p.m.-midnight Saturday 8/13, 3 p.m.-9 p.m. Sunday 8/14).

KM shared the townhouse with her father, David Markham, who was in the process of moving in with his girlfriend when KM disappeared. DM did not stay at the townhouse the night of 8/13.

JC’s home is 0.2 miles from KM’s townhouse.

JC’s car was checked by LE: No sign of foul play or struggle.

Please feel free to add any facts I may have missed or offer corrections.

On another note, a question that has been on my mind:
Were lights on in KM's townhouse when it was entered on Sunday?

I can't see why Katelyn would take her phone if she planned to escape her life...she wouldn't be able to use it without being traced...so that doesn't make sense...

Good question about the lights, whether they were on or off and something else we don't know, along with whether or not the door was locked...

I have been reading a statement analysis site and even though this is an analysis of Casey Anthony's interview with LE it speaks to JC using the past tense when talking about Katelyn

http://www.statementanalysis.com/casey-anthony/

There is a difference in past tense as you study it. If the person is talking about a past event or thoughts in the past and is recalling them then they should be in past tense. I believe that when JC has been talking about her he is picturing events, moments or past days. When going through his statements you can see how he is picturing an event...

Carter described Markham as a “colorful person.”
“Her paintings were colorful, her makeup was colorful, her clothes were colorful. It wasn’t tacky. Especially when she dressed up, she just looked beautiful.

Then when he speaks about who she is as a person it is in the present tense.

“She’s literally the sweetest girl,” he said. “She’s so nice and caring. She would never just leave. She’s just too pragmatic. I’m just absolutely terrified.”

Katydid, I am confused on her graduation status, too........I had posted this earlier-
According to the Art Institute of Cincinnati, where I assume is the correct school, graduations are in Feb and July. So I am confused as to when she actually graduates.

JC's grandmother said she was working on a senior project (according to catalog, may be called the 'Book' and I thought JC said she graduates next month??

She also has this on FB-Class of 2010 · Graphic design
She is a cashier as the school store.
What is she graduating from??? What project??

Did something happen to throw her off course, she didn't get to actually graduate on time, and the school is letting her 'redeem' herself???
I am really confused as to what she was really doing as far as school!

JC's sister said that KM would be graduating in September.

I can't see why Katelyn would take her phone if she planned to escape her life...she wouldn't be able to use it without being traced...so that doesn't make sense...

Good question about the lights, whether they were on or off and something else we don't know, along with whether or not the door was locked...

What does turning off the GPS device mean? Does turning it off mean she can't be tracked? Can she use it without anyone knowing where she is if it's turned off?

We know her purse was still there but what about her wallet? Did she have cash, debit/credit card?

Has LE checked out JC's alibi? Did they question the friend he was supposedly with?

Couldn't her phone still be pinged, if it is used, to a tower even with GPS turned off, since many phones don't have them, and still are traced to tower source, at least?

So WHO knew she'd be alone at the townhouse that night?

Sounds like her father was always there, but there was a deviation from routine that night because he stayed with his girlfriend.

Other than JC, could any of the dad's friends have known? Would they have been helping him move?

If not, the pool of people "in the know" that KM would be alone for an indefinite amount of time would be pretty small.

Also, I don't think SHE sent the pic of a pic. The purposes I can think of for that would be...

1) to establish a false time and location with the intention of giving the impression KM was alive and well and still in control of her phone, also implying JC was not with her at the time

2) a twisted memorial/message from someone who knew she was dead: Photos are inanimate. So are the deceased.

Couldn't her phone still be pinged, if it is used, to a tower even with GPS turned off, since many phones don't have them, and still are traced to tower source, at least?

Yes, if it is turned on it will ping.

I don't know- do you think they have a handle on it based on their methods, and are just keeping quiet, and maybe keeping tabs on someone...hoping they will lead them to KM? The Chief would not confirm or deny that they were watching JC for example. And he did say everyone who had contact with KM was a POI.

I really do wonder where her mother SM is in all this. KM indicated on her older blog that SM was, uhh, unstable....so I wonder HOW unstable.

Any chance any one of the other natural siblings was jealous of KM??(aren't there 2 sisters??) Her blog also mentioned something about the younger sister not wanting to be with the mom? Why wouldn't dad DM take sister from mom, if the situation and SM's mental health wasn't good??

Who had contact with KM that would want to disappear her??

If her mother is "unstable" and little sister wanted to move in with KM or SM knew Km would support DM, that sounds like a motive to me. But, I believe if SM showed up there would be a sign of struggle.

Not wanting to accuse anyone. I don't really know SM. I'm not sure about 2 sisters. I thought KM was adopted then her mother had a baby so I'm not sure how many siblings she had.

I believe DM had already moved himself in with his girlfriend but not all his stuff. I wonder if girlfriend would want a teenage girl or a chld. Maybe KM did.

I'm still so confused as to what he actually did that morning. Surely this guy knew what time her shift began at David's bridal on Sunday, yet he drives past her house early that morning and see's her car siiting there but he doesn't stop in to see if she is okay even though by this time he is concerned that she hasn't been answering texts or calls?

To be totally fair... and believe me, this guy makes me lift an eyebrow or two... her work began at noon. If he's a delivery driver for Papa John's, delivery starts at 11 am. So he could have been at work before anyone started to wonder about her.

I am on the fence about that.[ BBM] Either they think they know what happened already, and so they are waiting to get the evidence in hand, OR they do not know, not even where to search right now.

Sadly, I lost a lot of faith in LE in the Hailey Dunn debacle. Thinking that they KNEW what happened and arrests were imminent, and now things feel ice cold.

That experience makes me kind of doubt this situation a little. Maybe they do not have any real solid idea and are just waiting and watching?

The family dynamic is odd in this case. I wonder if KM had reached out and found her birthfamily recently. Sometimes that creates lots of drama too.

Hmmmm .... crazy thought. Could she have gone to 'visit' her birth mother?

Perhaps she just found her ... her parents, and didn't want her family to know? Maybe her fiance knows?

Just a thought ...

I would love for everyone to list the 2-3 things that are causing them to scratch their heads....
  1. The discrepancy where he said he in an interview he expected her home from work around 7 or 7:30 from a job that ended at 6pm, yet when he sees her car at home around 7 or 7:30, he is supposedly "freaked out" because she should be at work (said in the same interview and in his 911 call).
  2. Supposedly burning her documents in a firepit (presumably outdoors) at the very same time a big rainstorm swept through in the Fairfield area, plus her weird reaction (via text to him) when she heard the papers were burned ("Oh, I wish I could have been there... but that's okay"), even though it was supposedly at her very recent request that they were being burned at all.
  3. Him going into her apartment and finding it empty, saying he freaked out and "immediately called friends, family, police" (quote is from an interview) - when in fact he left her apartment, went somewhere, and was (supposedly) on his way back before he made the call. This has to to be the case because he told the dispatcher her purse is in the apartment, indicating he had to have been inside before he called 911.
  4. The couple having plans to meet with his parents to discuss the move to Colorado on Saturday, which were cancelled because Katelyn was too tired. This opens up the window of her being missing from Friday night, when friends saw her, to Sunday noon, when she was supposed to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rebel23