OH OH - Katelyn Markham, 22, Fairfield, 14 August 2011 - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Kamille posted on the 29th, providing this quote from an early article:

[JC's mother] says Markham texted her son around midnight Saturday Night/ Sunday morning, but didn't respond to his texts on Sunday. Since she normally couldn't text or take phone calls while at her job at a bridal store, they waited until Sunday evening to try to contact, then went to her apartment and found her car and purse still there.

Obviously, obeying everyday company policy is an absurd reason for not checking on someone in an emergency circumstance. But that aside, I wonder how long KM's shift was on Saturday? If she worked all day, from 10 am to 7 pm, then she accessed Facebook at least twice from work - presumably from her phone - in late morning and early afternoon.

Anyway, why would John keep texting and calling and worrying about her lack of response (as he claims in interviews) if it was normal for her phone to be off limits during work hours?

And why would his mother say they waited till evening to contact KM (and note that she mentioned text and phone calls specifically!) if John HAD in fact being trying to reach her all day, as he claims?

I hope two or three brawny detectives, sitting in a small room in close proximity while its all taped ask him ALL these questions!!

I thought I'd re-post my list, since some things have changed and I can't edit the old one.

Important: This list assumes for purposes of the compilation that the statements of the media, of law enforcement, of Katelyn Markham/John Carter's friends, family, and co-workers on Facebook, and of John Carter in his media interviews are all truthful and accurate. Some of this info may be wholly true, some partially true, some not true at all. We don't know. This is just a compilation of what I've observed, as a follower of the case who is not privy to law enforcement information. I include a few citations, but if you need to know where I found any particular piece(s) of information, just ask.

Abbreviations should be self-evident. Let me know of any additions or corrections.

Background Information

-KM was 21 years old at the time of her disappearance from her home in Fairfield, Ohio. She went missing on August 13 or 14, 2011.
-KM attends the Art Institute of Cincinnati, works a co-op job at the book/supply store, has an internship, and has another job at David's Bridal at Tri-County Mall.
-KM does not take medication, has never been suicidal, has no known drug problems or mental health problems. (per interviews with JC and FF Chief of Police)
-KM had been engaged to her fiance JC for a year and they'd been dating for 6 years. JC's step-sister Megs has known KM for 8 years, they met on MySpace. She introduced the pair shortly after she first hung out with KM. JC said that they were a couple from that time forward.
-The couple had plans to move to Colorado in a few months, after KM graduated, and to marry a few years from now, after JC turned 25.
-The couple was moving to Colorado with some friends, per JC's sister on FB. The move to Colorado was KM's idea, according to JC.
-JC lives with his mother and stepfather, 0.2 miles from KM's townhome. Her home is en route to his workplace; he is a delivery driver for Papa John's Pizza.
-KM was adopted and does not have a good relationship with her mother (per friends' comments and her online journal entries), or, she has a very close relationship with both her parents (per 8/18/2011 JC radio interview).
-KM shares a townhouse with her adoptive father David Markham but effectively lives alone, because he had all but moved in with his girlfriend by the time of her disappearance. JC characterized KM as someone who "stays in a house by herself" in his 911 call.
-KM was supposed to move in with JC and his family in 2 weeks. (Family comments on FB.)
-KM has a small dog, Murphy, who is usually closed in the bathroom when she isn't home; the dog has a bed, food, and water there.
-KM kept a spare key to her apartment hidden somewhere outside. JC had a key, and presumably her father DM as well. It's not known if any other people had keys.

Pre-Disappearance

-The Sacred Heart (Church) Festival was going on a half mile from KM’s home the weekend of her disappearance, and went till midnight Friday & Saturday and till 9 pm on Sunday.
-Friends of KM's saw her with JC at the Sacred Heart Festival on Friday night, August 12.
-A posting of KM's on FB regarding an art event said she had to work until 10 pm Friday night and couldn't make it. But she may have changed her mind, or may have chosen to attend the last hour or two of the festival.
-JC said the couple has gone to the festival every year since they've been dating, and that KM didn't really want to go that Friday night, but he persuaded her.
-Some friends report that the couple had a fight at the festival, because JC bought $100 worth of raffle tickets and KM was upset. Other friends report they were happy and not fighting.

Saturday, August 13 (Phase I) - Until John's departure.

-KM made a comment on a friend's Facebook page at 10:42 am. This is the last known FB activity of hers I've been able to see for myself.
-A relative of JC's reported that KM posted birthday greetings on her Wall around 1 pm. I cannot verify this because the relative's FB is inaccessible to me.
-KM worked a shift at David's Bridal on Saturday, per FB posts made at the time of her disappearance from two of her real-life friends/co-workers.
-David's Bridal is open 10:00 am to 7:00 pm Saturdays, so if KM worked the full 9 hour shift, or even just began working before 1 pm, she either used her phone to access FB during work hours or had access to a computer.
-KM and her uncle communicated around 7:45 pm about some design work he wanted to hire her for.
-JC and KM had plans to meet with his parents on Saturday to discuss the Colorado move, but they cancelled because KM was too tired.
-KM and JC had a "totally normal night" (JC, radio interview) watching TV. They did not have an argument. KM exhibited no odd moods or behavior.
-JC says KM was tired and getting ready for bed when he left. "She was going to bed. She wasn't going out to do anything, so she would've been in her bed." (from his 911 call)
-JC left her apartment at 12 midnight Saturday (per his 911 call), or between 11 and 11:30, or between 11:30 and 12:00, depending on the interview.

Saturday, August 13 (Phase II) - Paper in fire.

-JC did a lot of errands for KM because she was so busy. She had requested that JC burn some old bills, class schedules, legal documents, bank paperwork (type of papers variously named in interviews) because she didn't want anyone to be able to retrieve them from her trash.
-KM was guided in this idea by JC's mother who had recommended how long to keep various papers based on a magazine article.
-JC had a "big old bag" of KM's papers, and burned them in a friend's firepit after leaving her house Saturday night.
-KM's current paperwork, bills, etc. are still at her apartment. JC only burned her old outdated papers.
-KM doesn't own a shredder and there was too much to tear into pieces, as JC told Nancy Grace when she asked why they didn't simply do that instead of burning them.
-JC's mother said JC and KM often have friends over for fires, and since they don't own a shredder, they thought that was the best way to get rid of papers. She would not answer when asked if the papers were burned at her home or at JC's friend's home.
-KM and JC texted back and forth about the paper-burning while it was going on. When he told her about it, she said, "Oh, I kinda wanted to be there for it... but that's okay." He told her that she could be there when he burned some of his papers.
-It was raining that night in Fairfield beginning around 11 pm, with an actual storm coming through at 11:30, around the time JC left her apartment and began the paper-burning. It was clear by 1 am.

Saturday, August 13 (Phase III) - Post Ignem.

-Texts were exchanged between JC and KM's phones during the fire-burning process, which began around or soon after 11:30 pm. (Or 12, or later. JC's departure timeline shifted, perhaps coincidentally, after widespread discussion of the rainstorm that hit around 11:30.)
-JC received KM's last text at 12:52 am, a time he quoted precisely in interviews during the first 2 weeks. In his second Nancy Grace interview on August 31, he briefly mentioned 2 am as the time of the last text, then later amended it to, "I can't remember... 12:45, 12:50-something."
-The last text JC received from KM's phone was a picture message, a photo of a photo of KM.
-The original photo (presumably a hard copy picture, of which a cellphone picture was sent to JC's phone) was one of a series of "really good" photos taken by her boss at her internship.
-According to law enforcement, KM's phone's GPS and the phone itself were turned off, sometime around 12:45 am Sunday.
-In spite of what some have asserted, it's entirely possible for picture texts to take several minutes and sometimes even hours to arrive after they're sent.
-According to friends and family of KM, she almost never turned her phone off, and was very attached/attentive to it.
-There are conflicting reports about whether her phone was simply turned off or the battery was actually removed or damaged, and whether anyone would be able to perceive that fact remotely.
-There are conflicting reports about whether her phone's GPS function was manually turned off, or whether it's a characteristic of the phone which shuts off when the phone is off and/or battery compromised.
-JC watched some TV when he got home that night, and sent KM a "good morning" text before he went to sleep about 4:00 am.

Sunday, August 14 (Phase I) - Worrying About Katelyn

-JC woke up at 4:30 pm after 12.5 hours of sleep. He had not received an answer to his customary good morning text, but wasn't overly concerned, assuming KM was running late for work or was busy.
-JC worked Sunday at his job, delivering pizzas for Papa John's. He told Nancy Grace he works in the evenings.
-David's Bridal at Tri-County Mall, where KM was scheduled to work that day, opens at 12 noon on Sundays and closes at 6 pm. It is 7 miles from KM's home.
-That Sunday, KM did not show up for work and did not call, per her co-workers on FB.
-JC said he texted her all day on Sunday, and also tried calling her.
-JC's mother has stated he did not call her workplace to look for her because employees were not allowed to get phone calls or texts at work, so they waited till evening to try to reach her. (news article)
-David's Bridal is a retail store open to the public and could have been visited by anyone who wondered if KM was okay.
-Worried at getting no response, JC got permission to leave work and check on KM. His departure time from work is not known.
-JC's workplace is anywhere from 2.2 to 4.3 miles from KM's home, assuming he works at any one of the 3 closest Papa John's locations to his home.
-JC arrived at KM's townhome around 7 or 7:30 pm Sunday evening.
-He was "worried"/he "had a feeling something was going on"/his "heart sank"/he "freaked out"/he "panicked" (his words from different interviews) the moment he saw her car parked at her home.
-The reason he always gives for his panicked reaction is that she and her car were supposed to be at work, so seeing the car at her home was an indication something was wrong.
-His reaction to the car is one indicator he didn't call or visit her workplace. If he had, he would already know she never showed at work before he saw her car.
-Also, JC would have been alerted to her absence sooner than 7 or 7:30 if he had contacted her workplace or co-workers during her shift.
-Conflicting information: in one interview, he said he went to her place when he did because he expected her to be getting home from work around 7 or 7:30 Sunday evening. This would make sense given the 6 pm closing time of David's Bridal and any after-closing cleanup tasks.
-It is not clear why or how JC expected two different things at the time same. He says he expected her to be home from work around 7:30, but panicked when he saw her car around 7:30, because she was supposed to be at work.

Sunday, August 14 (Phase II) - Entry, Discoveries, 911 Call

-JC rushed into her apartment, using his key, and did not notice whether the door was locked. Katelyn Markham was gone.
-According to JC, KM doesn't ordinarily make her bed so there was no way to tell if she had slept in it.
-None of her belongings were missing except her red Blackberry cellphone. Her keys and purse were there in the apartment.
-KM's engagement ring, which she was presumably wearing, is a zigzag of nine small marquis-cut diamonds set in yellow gold.
-There were no signs of forced entry, a struggle, or anything else unusual, except that her dog was shut in her bedroom, instead of the bathroom which was KM's usual habit.
-Some pencils near a window and some hats that had been on the bedposts were knocked off, but JC said the dog could have done it.
-The dog had relieved itself in the bedroom, making it evident to JC that KM had not been home for some time.
-At this point JC "freaked out" and "immediately called friends, family, police" including his mother and KM's father.
-His call to 911 was made around 8 pm. The first Nancy Grace show on KM displayed the time "7:58 pm" when playing audio from the call.
-In the 911 call, JC mentioned KM's purse being in the apartment, so he had to have been inside already. But when the dispatcher asked if he was at the apartment, he said, "I'm heading there now," arranged to meet police and described his car.
-If we take him at his word, JC must have discovered KM was missing, found her purse and keys still there, left her apartment, gone somewhere, and called 911 some time later.
-JC indicated that KM's father was with him when he went into the apartment.
-However, it doesn't appear that KM's father was with JC the first time he went in. In his second Nancy Grace interview, JC describes going in, finding her missing, and then calling friends and family, including his mother and KM's father.
-In the 911 call, JC told the dispatcher that his fiancee is missing and he "can't find her anywhere." But he had not checked her workplace, which was where she was expected to be, during the first few hours of his concern.
-He told the dispatcher he has been with KM for 6 years and that she's "not deceiving"; also that there were some "questionable people" attending the Sacred Heart festival nearby.
-He told the dispatcher her car is at her home when she should be at work (though it was two hours after David's Bridal closed) and that's why he's really freaking out.

Other

-There is no evidence of foul play or a struggle in her home, JC's home, or their vehicles.
-The largest search in the history of Fairfield law enforcement has turned up no trace of KM.
-Police say they have no leads and that everyone who knew KM is a person of interest at this point.
-There has been no activity on KM's cellphone, bank account, or credit cards since she disappeared.
-In interviews, JC sometimes speaks of KM in the past tense, and sometimes does not.
-Experts on Nancy Grace's TV show said JC does not fit the psychological profile of someone who would harm her.
-There is no evidence of past domestic violence between JC and KM, and JC has no criminal history.
-A few days after KM vanished, JC asked a friend of theirs if she had noticed anyone following them at the festival on Friday night.
-KM's friend AG and JC's sister say KC had a stalker, someone who was "obsessed" with her, although JC has said more than once there is no such stalker.
-Many family and friends assert that he was absolutely devoted to her and that they were a very happy couple.
-August 16, 2011 was Katelyn's 22nd birthday and the one year anniversary of her engagement. JC and friends threw a party for her in absentia.
-Though previously a fairly regular poster on FB, JC's FB Wall shows no activity between July 27 and August 15, when he began to talk about KM being missing.
-In his August 18 radio interview, JC said he didn't have a lawyer because he didn't do anything wrong.
-When Nancy Grace asked JC why KM didn't show him the photo in person since he had just been with her, as opposed to texting it to him not long after he left, he replied that he didn't know, and added that the photos were upstairs.
-On August 25, Nancy Grace asked JC if he took a polygraph and he said yes. She asked if he passed and he said yes.
-On August 27 in a radio interview with WLW's Bill Cunningham, Fairfield's Chief of Police Mike Dickey refused to confirm or deny whether JC has taken a polygraph test.
-On August 31, Nancy Grace asked if police have asked JC to take a polygraph and he said no. She asked if he would be willing to and he said yes.
-On August 31 on FB, JC explained through a spokesperson that what he took was a "voice recognition test" or voice stress analysis which examines voice tones to determine truthfulness. It is unclear whether this test was administered by or at the instigation of law enforcement.
-A hoop earring, Converse shoe, and battered red cellphone were found in Harbin Park about a mile and a half from KM's house.
-JC and his family, and possibly David Markham, have said they are not KM's belongings. An attendee of the search said it was a black and red phone of a different type from KM's.
-When asked if police have a suspect, Chief Dickey said no, then added that "suspect" is a legal designation.

FAIRFIELD, OH (FOX19) -
Texas EquuSearch founder Tim Miller says the search for a missing 22-year-old Fairfield woman is one of the most challenging searches he has ever been involved in.

Miller has led his organization on more than 1200 searches in the last eleven years. The search for Katelyn Markham is difficult, he says, because, "A majority of the time there is something to lead us in some right direction, but we have nothing."

http://www.fox19.com/story/15372674/texas-equusearch-founder-prepares-for-markham-search

I am down here waiting but I think there is a tornado down here - my whole body is spinning!
CrystolSPINS.gif

Stop! You're making ME dizzy! :baby:

I didn't realize John is just 22. All of the media reports I've seen say he's 25 but last night on NG he confirmed he's 22 (Veromi says he's 23 but that can be a little off). I wonder where the media got the 25 age for him...the allpoetry.com person with the same username as his Myspace (sublimeapc) has him at 18 and that was 7 years ago...I hope msm wasn't sloppy enough to go off that.

His seemingly inconsistent statements about lie detector tests is worrying. I'm not sure what to make of his family member's explanation on FB that he actually took a voice stress analysis so he wasn't really lying when he changed his claim about taking a polygraph.

Interesting to note that voice stress analysis does no better than flipping a coin to determine if a person is lying but just the idea of it can have a sort of placebo effect and scare people into telling the truth:

http://www.nij.gov/journals/259/voice-stress-analysis.htm

YES! Thank you-I believe it is! And now that I can see it clearly, this appears to be a very odd looking phone. It looks like the speaker is up by the screen and it's hard to see if there are any keys. Maybe it's a strange cover that was on the actual phone? :waitasec:

Off to google search...

To me, it looks like a toy phone. :waitasec:

The phone in the picture does not look like the case from a Blackberry it's too rectangular.

I thought it was discounted days ago, but I've heard conflicting reports.

I'm going to ask a question here that will no doubt shock or horrify some people. I do not mean it disrespectuflly. I have looked at many, many pictures here and watched JC on all the videos I could find. I have heard some here questioning whether JC may be a bit "slow". I believe it is possible, but after viewing everything I can find on this case, I'm wondering if both of them, KM and JC were a bit "slow", whatever that means. There is something about her pictures that makes me wonder.

If I've offended anyone, I don't mean to, I'm asking a simple question in the most polite way I know how to ask it.

My opinion only

Kamille posted on the 29th, providing this quote from an early article:

[JC's mother] says Markham texted her son around midnight Saturday Night/ Sunday morning, but didn't respond to his texts on Sunday. Since she normally couldn't text or take phone calls while at her job at a bridal store, they waited until Sunday evening to try to contact, then went to her apartment and found her car and purse still there.

Obviously, obeying everyday company policy is an absurd reason for not checking on someone in an emergency circumstance. But that aside, I wonder how long KM's shift was on Saturday? If she worked all day, from 10 am to 7 pm, then she accessed Facebook at least twice from work - presumably from her phone - in late morning and early afternoon.

Anyway, why would John keep texting and calling and worrying about her lack of response (as he claims in interviews) if it was normal for her phone to be off limits during work hours?

And why would his mother say they waited till evening to contact KM (and note that she mentioned text and phone calls specifically!) if John HAD in fact being trying to reach her all day, as he claims?

he slept until 4:30 p.m.

I didn't realize John is just 22. All of the media reports I've seen say he's 25 but last night on NG he confirmed he's 22 (Veromi says he's 23 but that can be a little off). I wonder where the media got the 25 age for him...the allpoetry.com person with the same username as his Myspace (sublimeapc) has him at 18 and that was 7 years ago...I hope msm wasn't sloppy enough to go off that.

His seemingly inconsistent statements about lie detector tests is worrying. I'm not sure what to make of his family member's explanation on FB that he actually took a voice stress analysis so he wasn't really lying when he changed his claim about taking a polygraph.

Interesting to note that voice stress analysis does no better than flipping a coin to determine if a person is lying but just the idea of it can have a sort of placebo effect and scare people into telling the truth:

http://www.nij.gov/journals/259/voice-stress-analysis.htm

The confusion about the age is coming from the very first reports which stated that KM and JC were planning on waiting for JC to turn 25 before getting married.

I'm still wondering what is so magical about that age. They've been engaged for a year and were planning on moving to another state together.

Hmmm my local news (12) just said that TES's search is targeting a completely untouched area. Very interesting to me! I wonder if this has to do with the revelation of the last cell phone pings that NG spoke about last night?

I guess we'll find out. Prayers with TES and the searchers today.

I live in the area, and have been following the story and the FB pages. I don't know Katelyn or John personally. I have seen people on FB saying that John is "slow."

My thinking is this: I've seen him in a few interviews, and his vocabulary seems at least average. He doesn't *seem* to have issues with comprehension when he is being questioned. Some of the things he has said have been less than truthful, but I don't necessarily think that's a comprehension issue. He graduated from high school, and took some courses in college as well. He works at a job that requires him to follow directions, make change, etc., under minimal supervision. Perhaps his intelligence is below average, but I don't get the impression that he is "slow." I could be wrong, that's just my opinion.

As far as Katelyn, I'm not sure, but I don't think so. At the time she disappeared, she was holding down two jobs and an internship, as well as attending art school. She presumably pays her own bills and essentially lives on her own.

I hope TES finds something today. The big search started about 1/2 hour ago, and I think was supposed to last at least 8 hours.

This is my first post, so I am sorry if I broke any rules, and I am excited to be in this forum.

Hmmm my local news (12) just said that TES's search is targeting a completely untouched area. Very interesting to me! I wonder if this has to do with the revelation of the last cell phone pings that NG spoke about last night?

I guess we'll find out. Prayers with TES and the searchers today.

I thought FF PD said there was no place left to look in FF. Do you know where they are searching? I work not too far from her home, in Springdale. I'm just about 5 minutes from David's Bridal and the art school.

I've read most of the threads but haven't actually listened to JC but when people say he is "slow" is there any way that could be Aspergers? sorry if already asked but just thought I'd throw it out there.

I thought FF PD said there was no place left to look in FF. Do you know where they are searching? I work not too far from her home, in Springdale. I'm just about 5 minutes from David's Bridal and the art school.

I am anxious to see if they are searching "outside" of Fairfield, let me see what I can find out.

I am anxious to see if they are searching "outside" of Fairfield, let me see what I can find out.

Me, too. I've read so much on the case, I don't remember where I saw it, but I think it was a quote from Chief Dickey saying there was no place left to search in FF.

JourneyRain: I was trying to be polite. The actual statement I have read about John was that he is "not too bright." Now, to me, that means not intelligent vs. some sort of disability. But, I don't know for sure.

Just throwing this out there, regarding JC's repeated references to activity and text messages involving "burning" stuff that night:

"Burning" is a slang term for smoking weed.

He claims that Katelyn was disappointed not to be there for this 'burning;' says he reassured her by saying he had some stuff of his own that he would later 'burn' with her. No assumptions intended toward anyone involved in this case; simply looking at a different angle on JC's odd story of burning stuff that night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StacyStacyStacy