OH OH - Katelyn Markham, 22, Fairfield, 14 August 2011 - #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why mention the burning of papers, or "records" as he called it on NG, at all, if he had not done it? That just seems so out there, such an odd thing to do, not exactly a good alibi thing. I think it must be true that he had something he needed to burn, whether it was hers, or at her request, or not.

I think he was still trying to cover his a@@ with LE. He said it in his first interview ever so he had to keep up the false pretense. I think the "texts" were in code as most pot smokers do (420, etc. each clique creates their own. It's a bonding thing) He mentioned Burning paper and had to explain it to LE. MOO

First post here; hi everyone. :)

I'm completely with deelytful1, and have been ever since I saw the whole bit about burning papers/etc. It hasn't been that terribly long since I was a partykid in my late teens/early 20s - and I'm entirely convinced that was just an exchange about smoking pot. It's what you do, you don't want to straight up say 'I'm smoking pot, wooo!' in a text or email or whatever; so you just make various metaphors for it. A friend of mine and I used to call ours a 'box of joy' and I'm sure if we went missing, people would be crying out, "WHERE IS THE BOX? IT MAY HOLD THE MURDER WEAPON" when it'd really have a small amount of weed and a bowl in it.

He's probably kept up the 'totally was burning documents' thing simply because a) nobody wants to admit to the cops they were smoking pot and b) because it'll probably make him look sketchy (sketchier?) in the eyes of the media, the police, and everyone else. Really, the better thing to do is admit that it was about pot, take the misdemeanor (if it can even apply at this point) and move on. Letting people think he was destroying anything at that point was a bad choice.

First post here; hi everyone. :)

I'm completely with deelytful1, and have been ever since I saw the whole bit about burning papers/etc. It hasn't been that terribly long since I was a partykid in my late teens/early 20s - and I'm entirely convinced that was just an exchange about smoking pot. It's what you do, you don't want to straight up say 'I'm smoking pot, wooo!' in a text or email or whatever; so you just make various metaphors for it. A friend of mine and I used to call ours a 'box of joy' and I'm sure if we went missing, people would be crying out, "WHERE IS THE BOX? IT MAY HOLD THE MURDER WEAPON" when it'd really have a small amount of weed and a bowl in it.

He's probably kept up the 'totally was burning documents' thing simply because a) nobody wants to admit to the cops they were smoking pot and b) because it'll probably make him look sketchy (sketchier?) in the eyes of the media, the police, and everyone else. Really, the better thing to do is admit that it was about pot, take the misdemeanor (if it can even apply at this point) and move on. Letting people think he was destroying anything at that point was a bad choice.

:welcome4:
Yep... it makes so much more sense to me!!. When we used to drop Ecstasy back in the day, we would say "Give me an E! (like a cheerleader)" Or gonna take the "e train" tonight (as an aside I did it twice and hated it!!!!) But the group I hung with did it quite often and there were numerous variations.

FWIW, I REALLY don't think JC is involved. Slow? maybe. Bad public speaker? yes. I thought his statement about not talking to NG again because the focus shifted toward him instead of Katelyn is actually a tell in regards to his innocence. As to the burning question... I don't think it's a pot metaphor. I keep old bank statements and insurance papers, and don't have a shredder or place to burn them, so I soak them in water, tear them up, and put them in separate trash bags. If I had a friends house I could burn them at, I would. And my thoughts on the whole "I wish I could be there" text..... If I can't be with someone even though I want to, I would say that also. My girlfriend used to run keraoke till 3am and would often text me. I would be home because I had to work the next morning, but would often say "I wish I could be there" even though I couldn't. I'm not saying he's not involved, but my hinky meter is not going off. I just wish there was more data to evalutate instead of half truths and innuendo.

Welcome TieDyeJedi. I'd love to see the actual text exchange to put these theories to the test. I have no doubt that if there was a bunch of guys hanging around that Saturday night that they were burning something. :crazy:

Holy cow! I don't know who are what to believe anymore. If he has six alibi witnesses, he still has plenty of time to kill Katelyn and dispose of her, but then the text messages from her phone are problematic.

I hope they find something tomorrow at the search.

FWIW, I REALLY don't think JC is involved. Slow? maybe. Bad public speaker? yes. I thought his statement about not talking to NG again because the focus shifted toward him instead of Katelyn is actually a tell in regards to his innocence. As to the burning question... I don't think it's a pot metaphor. I keep old bank statements and insurance papers, and don't have a shredder or place to burn them, so I soak them in water, tear them up, and put them in separate trash bags. If I had a friends house I could burn them at, I would. And my thoughts on the whole "I wish I could be there" text..... If I can't be with someone even though I want to, I would say that also. My girlfriend used to run keraoke till 3am and would often text me. I would be home because I had to work the next morning, but would often say "I wish I could be there" even though I couldn't. I'm not saying he's not involved, but my hinky meter is not going off. I just wish there was more data to evalutate instead of half truths and innuendo.

Except she could have been there. She was still up at almost 1am. :waitasec:

Holy cow! I don't know who are what to believe anymore. If he has six alibi witnesses, he still has plenty of time to kill Katelyn and dispose of her, but then the text messages from her phone are problematic.

I hope they find something tomorrow at the search.

Yes he has given at least a 4 hour window of time from 7:30 - 11:30pm when they were alone together and so far we know of no one that saw them during that time frame.

ETA: You'd think that one of her neighbours could at least vouch for his car being parked there. Maybe they have?

But, she was 22!! How much did she really have to burn? IDK.. I tear my statements to shreds and chuck them so I can't advocate such a practice...

Except she could have been there. She was still up at almost 1am. :waitasec:

She worked until 8 and was probably tired? (for reals?) She wasn't "in the mood" and sent him packing? Then of course she had to make like "gee, I really wish I wasn't so tired, so that I could be there with you" C'mon... it's a girl thing ;-) OR perhaps she knew he was going to hang out with 6 guys and felt a little awkward?

Smoking weed makes a lot more sense on a Saturday night, than burning old papers or records, I have to say. Seems like he could have just told the public/media he went to hang out with friends, though, why get into that and make everything sound worse? There is nothing wrong with him leaving to go hang out with friends, it was the whole burning papers/records/evidence that sounds so bizarre.

The whole thing with the document burning (if that's what it was), is so odd to me. Why couldn't she be there, if she wanted to be? They spent that whole evening and the previous one together, and I doubt any of the documents were so time-sensitive that they had to be burned that night.

I've been wondering from the beginning if the pic sent was a clue, since it seems to be the last thing from her cell prior to being turned off/incapacitated.

Smoking weed makes a lot more sense on a Saturday night, than burning old papers or records, I have to say. Seems like he could have just told the public/media he went to hang out with friends, though, why get into that and make everything sound worse? There is nothing wrong with him leaving to go hang out with friends, it was the whole burning papers/records/evidence that sounds so bizarre.

He had to say they were burning 'bank stuff' because he knew their text messages were going to be read where they talked about 'burning paper.'
IMO, he needed to have a story to explain it,so he did not have to tell the cops or his bosses that he meant smoking weed. he would lose his delivery job if he admitted to smoking pot.

I agree, the marijuana thing does make more sense, but you're right, why make up such a complicated and strange story to cover it? All he had to say was that she wanted to get ready for bed, and I headed over to a friend's house.

He had to say they were burning 'bank stuff' because he knew their text messages were going to be read where they talked about 'burning paper.'
IMO, he needed to have a story to explain it,so he did not have to tell the cops or his bosses that he meant smoking weed. he would lose his delivery job if he admitted to smoking pot.

Tell the police, yes, but he did not have to tell the media anything about burning papers, they did not see his texts...

If he deleted the texts from his phone, are they recoverable?

I agree, the marijuana thing does make more sense, but you're right, why make up such a complicated and strange story to cover it? All he had to say was that she wanted to get ready for bed, and I headed over to a friend's house.

Probably to explain the wording of the texts.

If she had to get up and work the next day she would send him off to hang with his friends... If she had to be at work at 11 and she was up til 1, that means, 9am for 8 hours, two hours to eat breakfast, shower, get to work.

I've been wondering from the beginning if the pic sent was a clue, since it seems to be the last thing from her cell prior to being turned off/incapacitated.

The picture bothers me too Trident. Was it a picture of a hard copy photo print that she had in her room as per JC, or was it a picture that was saved to her phone that could have been sent by anyone from anywhere.

I wish we could get the time of the text previous to that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Backhand