GUILTY OH - Kyla Hayton, 20, pregnant, & Todd Burkhart, 28, Columbus, 16 Nov 2019 *arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I'm thinking the POI had no intention of trading the AR15 for the "package" but lured them there to rob them and harm them. That means he can be charged with "lying in wait", which in criminal law, refers to the act of hiding and waiting for an individual with the intent to kill that person or inflict serious bodily harm to that person.Because lying in wait involves premidition, some states have established that consitutes an aggravating circumstance that allows for the court to impose harsher criminal penalties.

That means he can be charged with "lying in wait", which in criminal law, refers to the act of hiding and waiting for an individual with the intent to kill that person or inflict serious bodily harm to that person.Because lying in wait involves premidition, some states have established that consitutes an aggravating circumstance that allows for the court to impose harsher criminal penalties.

That would be great!

I have a feeling the POI didn't kill them. But I think he knows what happened. I think maybe he hooked TB up with someone else to get the gun and it all went bad when they met.

TB definitely knew this guy and called him a friend. There was a post on FB of the two chatting w each other, before everything was scrubbed.

I could be wrong but its just a feeling I can't shake.

Todd’s funeral notice. Oddly it says Kyla preceded him in death.

Todd Burkhart Obituary - Visitation & Funeral Information

Hmmm... Interesting. Either they know details that we don't in terms of how things occured that evening or at least the order (which is definitely possible) or perhaps that was the easiest way to add her (death) to the obituary without having to mention they were murdered together; can't list her as a survivor, so the next obvious choice would be to list her along with those family members who preceded him in death, even if they aren't aware if she actually did pass away first or not?

Hmmm... Interesting. Either they know details that we don't in terms of how things occured that evening or at least the order (which is definitely possible) or perhaps that was the easiest way to add her (death) to the obituary without having to mention they were murdered together; can't list her as a survivor, so the next obvious choice would be to list her along with those family members who preceded him in death, even if they aren't aware if she actually did pass away first or not?

I was wondering the exact same thing. My heart goes out to their families on this day of Thanksgiving.

POI had a string of escalating charges that he'd got cleared on, including firing a weapon in an occupied, I believe. One tends to be emboldened by that. Making contacts while serving time together, could be viewed a lot of ways. Hicks from the sticks may be easier victims? Mistaking an acquaintance for an ally isn't new.

I'm not sure it isn't gone, but there were comments the POI's GF was upset about a 2 hour wait, someplace. He was arrested at an apartment a ways from the scenes, and quickly. Something led LE to him.

Yesterday was POI's 31st birthday. I'm hoping he has a few more on that side of the cage.

Last edited:
I agree. Her own dad had posted something about “the company you keep influencing your choices” days after she went missing.

TB’s sister admittedly had a falling out with him over his “choices”

Their families were not naive. They knew Todd and Kayla were making bad decisions. They were definitely living a high risk lifestyle.

The area they were found in is extremely high risk. Im still a bit shocked he would take Kayla there. And that she would agree to go there.

Having said that; its still a heartbreaking story.
By no means do I think that this was Kylas first time riding with Todd “through Columbus to drop off a package” and then onto Dayton to meet with LR. Because she has taken the trek with him and all has previously gone well, TB assumed the same for this particular trip. I think TB was running drugs for LR- somewhere trust was broken and LR felt crossed for whatever reason. Unfortunately, Kyla was at the wrong place at the wrong time.

Kyla's Obit. Kyla Hayton Obituary - Visitation & Funeral Information

Oddly it gives date of death as Nov 16th. Todd's was given as Nov 22nd. And it says preceded in death by Todd. So I suspect both obits say that to make it easier to put without explaining. But the dates of death seem odd?
Sounds like they are listing the last day known alive as the date of death with her obituary? Maybe I am wrong.

Could the coroner tell if she and her baby were deceased for days, maybe Todd was killed later?

Sounds like they are listing the last day known alive as the date of death with her obituary? Maybe I am wrong.

Could the coroner tell if she and her baby were deceased for days, maybe Todd was killed later?

I know during the live press release they said she had been "dead for days" But I remember in the beginning an article saying that Kayla had called someone and said they were heading back. I thought that call was on the 18th? But I could be wrong.

MAR 3, 2020
Man indicted on murder for the deaths of missing Mansfield couple
Larry Rodgers, 31, was indicted on multiple murder counts and other charges, according to an indictment filed in Montgomery County Common Pleas Court Tuesday.

[...]

Rodgers faces the following charges after today’s indictment:
  • Aggravated murder: 4 counts
  • Murder: 4 counts
  • Kidnapping: 4 counts
  • Felonious assault: 4 counts
  • Involuntary manslaughter: 2 counts
  • Having weapons under disability: 1 count
As part of the investigation into the double homicide, detectives searched a Groveland Avenue house, where police found a .40 caliber handgun, the Montgomery County Prosecutor’s Office stated in a release.

[...]

Rodgers is expected to be arraigned on the new charges Thursday morning.

MANSFIELD - The Dayton man accused of the November shooting deaths of a Mansfield couple and their unborn fetus entered a plea of not guilty Thursday in Montgomery County Common Pleas Court.

A $1 million cash bond was set for Larry Rodgers, 31, of Dayton, according to the clerk of courts office. Should he post that bond, he would be under house arrest and electronic monitoring.

$1 million bond set for Dayton suspect in Mansfield couple's deaths

I couldn't find any articles showing Rodgers ever went to trial in Oct. I wonder if it's been postponed due to Covid?

Larry Rodgers' trial set for Oct. 26 in Montgomery County Common Pleas Court
9 Jun 2020

The murder trial of a Dayton man accused of killing a Mansfield couple last year is set for to start Oct. 26 in Montgomery County Common Pleas Court, according to Greg Flannagan, public information officer for the Montgomery County Prosecutor's Office.

Snip

In March, the Montgomery County Grand Jury indicted Rodgers on four counts of aggravated murder; four counts of murder; two counts of involuntary manslaughter; four counts of kidnapping; four counts of felonious assault; and one count of having weapons while under disability — prior offense of violence, according to the news release. All of the counts except for the weapons charge also include three‐year firearm specifications. Rodgers was indicted on Dec. 2 on one count of having weapons while under disability for a firearm discovered inside his home while detectives were investigating the homicides.

Still listed as an inmate at Montgomery Co. Jail. If he had been found guilty at trial, he would have been moved from a county jail to a prison, yes? Or no?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
litewrker23
Back