OH OH - Michael Klitch, 12, Grandview Heights, 28 June 1971

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Post #77 raises great points:

As RK said, we don't know the families' daily routine, or if Mike's actions that day were a part of the norm for him. Given his father's tennis experience with playing and coaching, Mike knew the game and new it well beyond his years.

I read some reports that said Mike left at 2:10pm and not 2:00pm, which shortens up the time-frame by a few minutes and might make the mapping distance more plausible. The STRANGEST elements of this case for me are:

1.) Mike being so over-dressed for a 100 degree day. This is a health risk and he or his parents should have had him were cooler clothes, or even not go out at all. We have a 12-year old kid playing tennis in 100 degree heat, this is bad, and lead to some of us at WS considering that Mike passed out from heat stroke or dehydration. But RK shows strong evidence against that, although this cannot be ruled out.

2.) Who plays tennis alone? I have said sure, Mike would have had to use a wall for serving and volleying, but it is unusual? If the courts had no walls for balls to hit for solo play, the mystery deepens even more.

3) Who just finding out their son is missing, drops off their remaining kids at a swimming pool and than heads off to a school board meeting as if Mike being gone was "no big deal?" Times were different in 1971 compared to the attitudes and actions today concerning missing kids. But that's just wrong. Did Mrs. Klitch get out of the car and look for Mike in the time she waited for him? It seems the ball that Mr. Klitch gave to his son,found at the gate was discovered by LE, not family. In horror, it sounds like the getting Mike's siblings to the swim meet and Mrs. Klitch's school board meeting was more important than looking for Mike! Big red flags here! Why? Or was Mike so independent for his age, that it was common in his day to day activities to be gone for extended periods of time. Do you guys see some parental priority neglect here? Why or why not?

Satch

The only time on a hot day I would overdress is:

a. going to a night baseball game later, when it cools down.

b. Plans to go somewhere later where it is cool (restaurant)

Did Michael have other plans besides tennis?

As RK said, we don't know the families' daily routine, or if Mike's actions that day were a part of the norm for him. Given his father's tennis experience with playing and coaching, Mike knew the game and new it well beyond his years.

I read some reports that said Mike left at 2:10pm and not 2:00pm, which shortens up the time-frame by a few minutes and might make the mapping distance more plausible. The STRANGEST elements of this case for me are:

1.) Mike being so over-dressed for a 100 degree day. This is a health risk and he or his parents should have had him were cooler clothes, or even not go out at all. We have a 12-year old kid playing tennis in 100 degree heat, this is bad, and lead to some of us at WS considering that Mike passed out from heat stroke or dehydration. But RK shows strong evidence against that, although this cannot be ruled out.

2.) Who plays tennis alone? I have said sure, Mike would have had to use a wall for serving and volleying, but it is unusual? If the courts had no walls for balls to hit for solo play, the mystery deepens even more.

3) Who just finding out their son is missing, drops off their remaining kids at a swimming pool and than heads off to a school board meeting as if Mike being gone was "no big deal?" Times were different in 1971 compared to the attitudes and actions today concerning missing kids. But that's just wrong. Did Mrs. Klitch get out of the car and look for Mike in the time she waited for him? It seems the ball that Mr. Klitch gave to his son,found at the gate was discovered by LE, not family. In horror, it sounds like the getting Mike's siblings to the swim meet and Mrs. Klitch's school board meeting was more important than looking for Mike! Big red flags here! Why? Or was Mike so independent for his age, that it was common in his day to day activities to be gone for extended periods of time. Do you guys see some parental priority neglect here? Why or why not?

Satch

!. Was he overdressed ? I read that he was wearing a t shirt,shorts and a pullover tennis vest.

2. I did some research, and back then some courts did have those automatic tennis ball machines. The machine sends the tennis ball over the net, and a solitary player gets tom practice his/her forehand/backhand stroke. Apparently serious players like the machines, as they can practice without distraction. Be interesting to know if that court had a machine ? Another possibility is that Michael wanted to practice his serve, before his upcoming tourney. He could have just practiced serving into the opposite part of the court. jmo

3. Did Michael only leave a written note stating his whereabouts if no one was home when he was going someplace ? He had seen his mother that morning and told her where he was going ? He was 12, and described as "adventurous" . Although I did see that he didn't feel comfortable in new situations, with new people.

Just some thoughts... He was stabbed so many times, is what stands out for me. I also hadn't known that Michael met up with some friends that morning. This could add another layer of potential people who knew Michael's whereabouts that morning. Someone could have heard one of Michael's friends casually mention that they saw him on his way to the tennis court. Baffling case. all jmo

3) Who just finding out their son is missing, drops off their remaining kids at a swimming pool and than heads off to a school board meeting as if Mike being gone was "no big deal?" Times were different in 1971 compared to the attitudes and actions today concerning missing kids. But that's just wrong. Did Mrs. Klitch get out of the car and look for Mike in the time she waited for him? It seems the ball that Mr. Klitch gave to his son,found at the gate was discovered by LE, not family. In horror, it sounds like the getting Mike's siblings to the swim meet and Mrs. Klitch's school board meeting was more important than looking for Mike! Big red flags here! Why? Or was Mike so independent for his age, that it was common in his day to day activities to be gone for extended periods of time. Do you guys see some parental priority neglect here? Why or why not?[/B]

I wasn't even born yet, but in my time that was what a parent would do. We weren't inundated with all of the stories about what could possibly happen to kids.

The horrors of what Gacy and Corll did weren't yet known. The main "bad guys" (i.e. serial killers, etc) were after young girls, who were "more impressionable" than boys. Cases involving boy victims weren't publicized as much back then. Things like that were taboo. And many cases involving girls weren't as well known either, at least on a broad/national scale.

"Kids" (and people in general) had a lot more freedom back then. A 19-yr-old drinking to excess was perfectly legal (unless they happened to get a "public intoxication" charge).
Now, something like that would be considered "underage drinking" and whoever bought them the booze would get in trouble.
Back then, they could get it for themselves (legally).

Satch

The problem with cases like this is that we are going by what is reported in the media... Not by actual crime scene reports. So one could basically speculate "anything" and find someway to make it fit this case.

What a "profiler" does is they take behavior, and retro-classify backward from that behavior to infer a personality... the opposite of what a mental healthcare professional does. Which is why MOST LE agaicies rely upon seasoned veteran invesitgiators, as opposed to mental health professionals in criminal investigations.

that's no knock on mental health professionals, its just an approach from a different end than what they are trained to do as a healthcare provider.... the same way a profiler cant diagnose a patient.

Anyway... what im getting at is that the one constant in this case, is what happened to the victim

-we know he left home
-we know he was transported 25 miles away
-we know he was stabbed multiple times
-we know his body was hidden
-we know his body was burned to destroy evidence.

But that's all we really know . this is why a victimology profile on the victim would at least provide a glimpse into what was going on with the victim prior to his disappearance.

I don't make too much of the clothing itself, ..I've seen my kids attempt to leave the house looking like Bozo the clown because we caught them before they walked out the door (if you have girls you'll fully understand the "makeup phase"). However barring what could've been learned from a victimology assessment, there may have been a reason he was doing so .

Now this is only MY experience...but a few times I've seen kids wearing long sleeves in hot weather, was to hide bruises. Im not saying that this is the case HERE, but without any investigative information all we can do is speculate and infer from experiences we have.

Remember NOONE can confirm that Michael was EVER actually at the tennis courts, a maid saw a person "matching his description" there, and later an off brand tennis ball was found ...now why would he leave 1 tennis ball?... if he was so meticulous, he leaves notes, and in this situation to grab all his other things, but 1 ball?...that seems odd to me and ill explain why later

As Ive said before, I don't know who plays tennis by themselves.. again I don't know $hit about tennis Ill freely admit, but last I heard it was a 2 person endeavor .

Which leads me to ask 1) Was he perhaps expecting someone else? or 2) Is there more to the story about him going to practice tennis ?

When we look at the path he took, (without any legend to determine actual distance), does it look like he would've been walking for 10 minutes, and STILL not have arrived at the tennis courts? the times , which could be off its newspaper reporting , seem strange, I can only assume this was confirmed by police, but its still strange, did he meet someone before he met those kids?. Now I could be completely wrong and it could be that far but if it is, why would you let your kid walk 30-40 minutes away if youre going to be picking him up after only 30-40 minutes of "practice"?

He left his home at 2 , stopped to talk to friends by 2:30 for (unknown amount of time) then continued on to the courts, where his mom was going to pick him up by 3:30.

The choice of weapon is odd too (unless you're Michael Meyers) you don't often see people carrying around butchers knives. They are usually something that is acquired at the scene as a weapon of opportunity, as a matter of fact the ONLY time I've ever seen a butcher knife used as a weapon was in domestic disputes, and a burglary gone wrong.

AGAIN, that doesn't mean someone didn't grab one and roll out with it, particularly if it was spur of the moment thing, but just from what I have seen

Now we look at the wounds suffered by the victim, and again we could spin it a few ways, but in part we are looking widely spread wounds ... why would they be so widely distributed, and come from so many different angles ?were they fighting?, was he struggling to get away? something along the lines of what Ron Goldman suffered?, if so I feel we are dealing with a younger offender, who wasn't able to control an athlete, the way he thought he could, much less one who may have been swinging an aluminum tennis racket in self defense .

OR was there more than one offender possibly armed with more than one weapon, which would explain the various angles and sheer number of stab wounds.

Both are possible.

The removal of the victims clothing is interesting, particularly if he was wearing it when he was stabbed, that would give us yet another glimpse into what happened, that information isn't available here.

If his clothes were removed prior to being stabbed , we can make the assumption the attack "could have" been sexual in nature. I say "could have, because in some cases, stripping a victim is done as a means of degradation, and control, (it has actually been done by bank robbers in a case I remember to control those in the bank so they're pre-occupied and wont look at the offenders) .

Another possibility is interpersonal anger, that's a HELL of a lot of stab wounds to a 12yo kid, the tough part to determine is the origin of the anger. As we know resistance sometimes, ups the level of violence from the offender.

Now we look at the disposal of the body, if we apply the findings by the 2006 study, he was most likely killed where his belongings were found . However, remember that crime is dynamic, and there is no such thing as 100%. Even DNA is graded as to a percentage

SO I raise another question, why hide the body and burn it? , when you are going to leave his belongings laying out all over the place right near his body? (though according to some of the articles it sounds as if "some" attempt was made to hide some of them) it was done haphazardly

Lets just look at the 1st part of the question, why hide a victim if you are going to burn their body?.. seems like overkill, and not in a homicidal way, but in a preventative way. Someone didn't want to be linked to that child. A stranger, could've gotten away with simply leaving the body, remember DNA wasn't available back then. This seems like someone who wanted to take every precaution NOT to be linked to this kid

Perhaps because..... they knew they'd be questioned?

The whole event reeks of panic post offense.

The dump site , What is it about THAT spot, that was right for the offender?, was it a random find ?.. Possible, but it seems like a long shot given its out of the way location, I don't think it was I think someone knew of that area, someone who maybe had been there before , because it appears that its not right off the road, not something you could easily see. It also seems to have been worn by vehicles because of the tire tracks

Where did the Charcoal starter come from?, more than likely brought which would indicate at least some planning, but why, did they plan to burn a body?... I'm not so sure that it wasn't something more along the lines of something they just already had with them, possibly along with a knife, from a BBQ or something, but that's speculative.

Because we have so little in the way of info this case, is going to be VERY hard to impossible to solve.

Having read the clips here a doze or so times, I have my theories, but ill keep those to myself as I've learned from previous discussions.

The best way to approach this case, is to review what is already KNOWN, the answer most likely lies there.

It Certainly seems odd that a kid would dress like he was going to a winter social to go out in the summer heat and play tennis alone, but again we don't know how he was , we don't know what the family dynamic was, we don't know if he just dressed like that ... but we do know a few things "out of the ordinary " just happen to occur that day he went missing and was most likely murdered.

A burned body almost sounds like possibly a Satanic ritual.

The problem with cases like this is that we are going by what is reported in the media... Not by actual crime scene reports. So one could basically speculate "anything" and find someway to make it fit this case.

What a "profiler" does is they take behavior, and retro-classify backward from that behavior to infer a personality... the opposite of what a mental healthcare professional does. Which is why MOST LE agaicies rely upon seasoned veteran invesitgiators, as opposed to mental health professionals in criminal investigations.

that's no knock on mental health professionals, its just an approach from a different end than what they are trained to do as a healthcare provider.... the same way a profiler cant diagnose a patient.

Anyway... what im getting at is that the one constant in this case, is what happened to the victim

-we know he left home
-we know he was transported 25 miles away
-we know he was stabbed multiple times
-we know his body was hidden
-we know his body was burned to destroy evidence.

But that's all we really know . this is why a victimology profile on the victim would at least provide a glimpse into what was going on with the victim prior to his disappearance.

I don't make too much of the clothing itself, ..I've seen my kids attempt to leave the house looking like Bozo the clown because we caught them before they walked out the door (if you have girls you'll fully understand the "makeup phase"). However barring what could've been learned from a victimology assessment, there may have been a reason he was doing so .

Now this is only MY experience...but a few times I've seen kids wearing long sleeves in hot weather, was to hide bruises. Im not saying that this is the case HERE, but without any investigative information all we can do is speculate and infer from experiences we have.

Remember NOONE can confirm that Michael was EVER actually at the tennis courts, a maid saw a person "matching his description" there, and later an off brand tennis ball was found ...now why would he leave 1 tennis ball?... if he was so meticulous, he leaves notes, and in this situation to grab all his other things, but 1 ball?...that seems odd to me and ill explain why later

As Ive said before, I don't know who plays tennis by themselves.. again I don't know $hit about tennis Ill freely admit, but last I heard it was a 2 person endeavor .

Which leads me to ask 1) Was he perhaps expecting someone else? or 2) Is there more to the story about him going to practice tennis ?

When we look at the path he took, (without any legend to determine actual distance), does it look like he would've been walking for 10 minutes, and STILL not have arrived at the tennis courts? the times , which could be off its newspaper reporting , seem strange, I can only assume this was confirmed by police, but its still strange, did he meet someone before he met those kids?. Now I could be completely wrong and it could be that far but if it is, why would you let your kid walk 30-40 minutes away if youre going to be picking him up after only 30-40 minutes of "practice"?

He left his home at 2 , stopped to talk to friends by 2:30 for (unknown amount of time) then continued on to the courts, where his mom was going to pick him up by 3:30.

The choice of weapon is odd too (unless you're Michael Meyers) you don't often see people carrying around butchers knives. They are usually something that is acquired at the scene as a weapon of opportunity, as a matter of fact the ONLY time I've ever seen a butcher knife used as a weapon was in domestic disputes, and a burglary gone wrong.

AGAIN, that doesn't mean someone didn't grab one and roll out with it, particularly if it was spur of the moment thing, but just from what I have seen

Now we look at the wounds suffered by the victim, and again we could spin it a few ways, but in part we are looking widely spread wounds ... why would they be so widely distributed, and come from so many different angles ?were they fighting?, was he struggling to get away? something along the lines of what Ron Goldman suffered?, if so I feel we are dealing with a younger offender, who wasn't able to control an athlete, the way he thought he could, much less one who may have been swinging an aluminum tennis racket in self defense .

OR was there more than one offender possibly armed with more than one weapon, which would explain the various angles and sheer number of stab wounds.

Both are possible.

The removal of the victims clothing is interesting, particularly if he was wearing it when he was stabbed, that would give us yet another glimpse into what happened, that information isn't available here.

If his clothes were removed prior to being stabbed , we can make the assumption the attack "could have" been sexual in nature. I say "could have, because in some cases, stripping a victim is done as a means of degradation, and control, (it has actually been done by bank robbers in a case I remember to control those in the bank so they're pre-occupied and wont look at the offenders) .

Another possibility is interpersonal anger, that's a HELL of a lot of stab wounds to a 12yo kid, the tough part to determine is the origin of the anger. As we know resistance sometimes, ups the level of violence from the offender.

Now we look at the disposal of the body, if we apply the findings by the 2006 study, he was most likely killed where his belongings were found . However, remember that crime is dynamic, and there is no such thing as 100%. Even DNA is graded as to a percentage

SO I raise another question, why hide the body and burn it? , when you are going to leave his belongings laying out all over the place right near his body? (though according to some of the articles it sounds as if "some" attempt was made to hide some of them) it was done haphazardly

Lets just look at the 1st part of the question, why hide a victim if you are going to burn their body?.. seems like overkill, and not in a homicidal way, but in a preventative way. Someone didn't want to be linked to that child. A stranger, could've gotten away with simply leaving the body, remember DNA wasn't available back then. This seems like someone who wanted to take every precaution NOT to be linked to this kid

Perhaps because..... they knew they'd be questioned?

The whole event reeks of panic post offense.

The dump site , What is it about THAT spot, that was right for the offender?, was it a random find ?.. Possible, but it seems like a long shot given its out of the way location, I don't think it was I think someone knew of that area, someone who maybe had been there before , because it appears that its not right off the road, not something you could easily see. It also seems to have been worn by vehicles because of the tire tracks

Where did the Charcoal starter come from?, more than likely brought which would indicate at least some planning, but why, did they plan to burn a body?... I'm not so sure that it wasn't something more along the lines of something they just already had with them, possibly along with a knife, from a BBQ or something, but that's speculative.

Because we have so little in the way of info this case, is going to be VERY hard to impossible to solve.

Having read the clips here a doze or so times, I have my theories, but ill keep those to myself as I've learned from previous discussions.

The best way to approach this case, is to review what is already KNOWN, the answer most likely lies there.

It Certainly seems odd that a kid would dress like he was going to a winter social to go out in the summer heat and play tennis alone, but again we don't know how he was , we don't know what the family dynamic was, we don't know if he just dressed like that ... but we do know a few things "out of the ordinary " just happen to occur that day he went missing and was most likely murdered.

He did have shorts on though.And I think his shirt was more like a type of shirt worn to play golf or tennis. It is described as 'aqua,with a stripe on the collar and sleeves. Sounds more like a short sleeved tennis shirt,but jmo

I think that he was into going to practice his serve,because he was slated to play in an upcoming tennis tournament. Doubt if he paid much attention to the heat ; tennis is mostly played in the summer, often in hot,humid weather if one lives in the Midwest/northeast/south. Just some thoughts.Rich Kelly, your analysis is awesome, and much appreciated.

The satanic ritual thing was the big "thing" in the early 80's.

The FBI did a long in depth study on the phenomena over several years and found out that it was virtually non-existent in terms of homicide, and efurther that most of the hype surrounding those claims originated from publics perception, based on movies of all things

Many murders were attributed to "Satan worshippers" because of how heinous certain crimes were.

In reality they were no different than what our species has been doing to each other since time began.

Serial killings often were labeled by the unknowing public as "Satanic"

Certain serial killers adopted the satanic angle to boost their image as evil, like Ramirez, or to make themselves "more evil" by aligning themselves with "Satan" , In reality Richard, didn't do any of what he did for "Satan", though that's the common image of his worthless *advertiser censored*.. he was just a who relished in raping robbing and murdering unsuspecting people because it gave him power, because the fear he caused by doing so finally gave this insignificant nothing a persona .

Some used it as an excuse, like Berkowitz, which he later admitted he fabricated the entire thing to try to get a psychologist to deem him insane .

In a ritualized killing id expect to see evidence of such, the body is positioned a certain way, there is markings, restraints etc...

however "ritualization" in these cases, tends to have to do with what we call "Signature aspect" of a certain criminal, not so much a pseudo religious practice

But again who can say , were going off newspaper articles from the 70's.

He did have shorts on though.And I think his shirt was more like a type of shirt worn to play golf or tennis. It is described as 'aqua,with a stripe on the collar and sleeves. Sounds more like a short sleeved tennis shirt,but jmo

I think that he was into going to practice his serve,because he was slated to play in an upcoming tennis tournament. Doubt if he paid much attention to the heat ; tennis is mostly played in the summer, often in hot,humid weather if one lives in the Midwest/northeast/south. Just some thoughts.Rich Kelly, your analysis is awesome, and much appreciated.

Very welcome

JMO but I would think burning the body was likely to have been because blood or other bodily fluids belonging to the perpetrator were on the body. We didn't have DNA then but we could blood type, even from semen in a lot of cases. If Michael struggled with his attacker he may have drawn blood.

It would be great to try to contact the detective working on Mike's case, IF he was willing to give out information that he could speak about. It seems that if Mike was conscience he likely fought with his attacker(s). This could explain the severity of his stab wounds. This seems like a determined killing, but probably not done by a serial pedophile. It appears that some evidence showed more planning than other pieces of information.

As RK said, it is hard to make concrete confirmations, because we don't have LE files on the Klitch case, just several 1971 newspaper articles. We need someone with inside information to help sort out the loose ends in this abduction and murder.

Satch

It would be great to try to contact the detective working on Mike's case, IF he was willing to give out information that he could speak about. It seems that if Mike was conscience he likely fought with his attacker(s). This could explain the severity of his stab wounds. This seems like a determined killing, but probably not done by a serial pedophile. It appears that some evidence showed more planning than other pieces of information.

As RK said, it is hard to make concrete confirmations, because we don't have LE files on the Klitch case, just several 1971 newspaper articles. We need someone with inside information to help sort out the loose ends in this abduction and murder.

Satch

THAT in and of itself is often very tough to do .

In unsolved cases, they will often keep things, sequestered from the public for exclusionary purposes.

The thing to remember, is that this case, is not UNLIKE any other homicide we (the LE community) have ever seen, the problem is when and where it occurred, what evidence is still available to review, what witnesses, are still around etc..

If that case, were to happen today , I feel it would easily be solved.

The hardest part of being a cop is realizing some cases, may never be solved, unless someone comes forward.

dragon wins.png

THAT in and of itself is often very tough to do .

In unsolved cases, they will often keep things, sequestered from the public for exclusionary purposes.

The thing to remember, is that this case, is not UNLIKE any other homicide we (the LE community) have ever seen, the problem is when and where it occurred, what evidence is still available to review, what witnesses, are still around etc..

If that case, were to happen today , I feel it would easily be solved.

The hardest part of being a cop is realizing some cases, may never be solved, unless someone comes forward.

View attachment 69271

Great comments!

The only hope would be that Mike's killer(s) has/have died so that no other kids are harmed or killed, or is at least incarcerated for life if he/they were convicted of other crimes for the same reasons. You wonder if Mike's perpetrator(s) killed again and the horror that someone or some people got away with such a terrible crime. We would almost have to have a deathbed confession with physical evidence through DNA to solve who did this.

Maybe Mike entered some athletic contest and won a tournament against the perp's kid? And the sick twisted parent of this kid sought revenge against Mike and his family by doing the unthinkable. I will always wonder, did Mike know his assailant and killer? Or was this a random act of horror by some serial killer? All we know is that someone wanted to kill Mike and destroy the evidence. I wonder how many other known serial killers traveled the Midwest looking for easy targets as victims in the summer of 71? It seems that whoever did this was a local from the area and he knew other locations within at least a 25-mile radius of the area to hide and burn Mike's body in a shack. Seemingly, if whoever did this is alive today they would probably be between 60-80 years old and horrifyingly could blend in with any community.

What do you all think?

Satch

You can look at any thread on here , you'll usually find someone that is willing to wager their home, that a certain case, is the work of serial killer, the serial killer /psychopath theory is very popular.

I've had back and forth discussions on this several times... which is partially why I'll only usually join a discussion if I'm asked .

Anyway

Remember Serial murder as horrible and intriguing as it is an EXTREMELY rare phenomena. Serial murder accounts for just under 1% of all reported homicides in the US per year.
Barring any evidence to support a possible link (Where we take more than one case, ad perform a "linkage analysis") most homicides even the most horrible ones usually ARENT the work of a serial predator.

The problem here again... is that we don't know enough to draw a conclusion.

This is one of those cases, where there's just TOO many blanks to fill in

I grew up in this nice neighborhood and Michael was in my older brother's class. I was only 7 at the time, so I only remember hearing about it from time to time many years later.
First, it seems odd that he would have walked there. It's about 8-9 blocks and even though I lived a few blocks closer, we would have gotten a ride or used bikes. You have to go down a steep hill, so he may have wanted to avoid riding back uphill or knew that his mom would take him to the pool later.
Although this is a nice upper-middle class area, these tennis courts are on the very outskirts of Grandview (Grandview and Marble Cliff share schools and parks). There is a road that goes right next to the courts and the railroad track is directly behind the back side of the court - this corner by the road/track is where Michael would have been, because that was the only court that had a tall backboard to practice shots against. Right behind that wall is the track, elevated on an upgrade and on the other side of the grade are commercial and light industrial properties - no residential homes nearby. People did practice alone like that - I practiced the same way in that same spot as a young adult - as kids we played against our garage door!
The area just behind the courts is a bit creepy - still - and it was common enough to hit balls over the wall and you would go out there to retrieve them.
As far as wearing so many clothes on a hot day? Hard to imagine, unless his mother was remembering what he was wearing when it was colder that morning?
The number of stab wounds suggests someone seeking vengeance. And, as nice as our neighborhood was, there were some truly messed up families (3 suicides within a block of my childhood home). So I wouldn't rule out anybody, especially including family.

I grew up in this nice neighborhood and Michael was in my older brother's class. I was only 7 at the time, so I only remember hearing about it from time to time many years later.
First, it seems odd that he would have walked there. It's about 8-9 blocks and even though I lived a few blocks closer, we would have gotten a ride or used bikes. You have to go down a steep hill, so he may have wanted to avoid riding back uphill or knew that his mom would take him to the pool later.
Although this is a nice upper-middle class area, these tennis courts are on the very outskirts of Grandview (Grandview and Marble Cliff share schools and parks). There is a road that goes right next to the courts and the railroad track is directly behind the back side of the court - this corner by the road/track is where Michael would have been, because that was the only court that had a tall backboard to practice shots against. Right behind that wall is the track, elevated on an upgrade and on the other side of the grade are commercial and light industrial properties - no residential homes nearby. People did practice alone like that - I practiced the same way in that same spot as a young adult - as kids we played against our garage door!
The area just behind the courts is a bit creepy - still - and it was common enough to hit balls over the wall and you would go out there to retrieve them.
As far as wearing so many clothes on a hot day? Hard to imagine, unless his mother was remembering what he was wearing when it was colder that morning?
The number of stab wounds suggests someone seeking vengeance. And, as nice as our neighborhood was, there were some truly messed up families (3 suicides within a block of my childhood home). So I wouldn't rule out anybody, especially including family.

Great info!

Now we know there was a practice wall at the court. I am sure this answers a lot of community questions. At the time, were their trees along those railroad tracks, where someone who wanted to do something bad would hide? Did your older brother, or you, know Mike, or the Klitch family? Any remembrance of what Mike was like as a kid.

The one thing about your post that caused concern is why could you not rule family out? Wow! That I can't comprehend. That his parents or three sisters were involved in this? Or do you mean some other relative, whom the family THOUGHT they knew, but this person had a much darker and sinister past. From what I have read, the Klitch's were awesome people, very caring, and involved in community events. Richard Klitch, Mike's Dad was the master of the game of tennis, and Mike's Mom, Joan served on the school board for many years.

Solofidle, do you have any ideas as to how Mike's abduction and murder happened?

Satch

I have no info on the case - just trying to imagine anything that might have happened. I will be seeing my brother soon and will ask what he knows about the family. One person mentioned he may have worn the long sleeves to hide bruises from abuse; sadly, that might be an angle that was too painful or unbelievable for authorities to investigate (or maybe they did). By the way, the church mentioned is right across the street from the Klitch home, and it is large and dominates the whole area. Also, was it mentioned if his clothes had stab marks or blood? And would rain have washed fingerprints off the tennis racket? It seems the killer would have handled that and prints might have still been on it. Trees on the othe side of the RR track maybe - I forget. But, for sure, the elevated track offers blockage of views, so that could have helped the killer abduct the boy.

Regarding the parents, all I'm saying is: for an unthinkable crime, where reasonable thinking leads to no killer, maybe it's time to consider unthinkable suspects. Sometimes folks are not what they seem (i.e. a former Grandview mayor resigned after being arrested for indecent public exposure). Where was the father that night? Did he have a car the same color as mentioned by a witness at the scene where the boy was found? I find it odd that one ball was found at the court and other balls (?) and racket found near the shack? Why were the body and clothes/tennis racket not burned together? Sounds like maybe the killer was scared off from finishing burning things. Or it kind of sounds to me like that evidence was meant to be found. Maybe the father had a large life insurance policy on the kid (something that would be routinely checked today)? Is it even possible to have a life insurance policy on a kid?

Regarding the parents, all I'm saying is: for an unthinkable crime, where reasonable thinking leads to no killer, maybe it's time to consider unthinkable suspects. Sometimes folks are not what they seem (i.e. a former Grandview mayor resigned after being arrested for indecent public exposure). Where was the father that night? Did he have a car the same color as mentioned by a witness at the scene where the boy was found? I find it odd that one ball was found at the court and other balls (?) and racket found near the shack? Why were the body and clothes/tennis racket not burned together? Sounds like maybe the killer was scared off from finishing burning things. Or it kind of sounds to me like that evidence was meant to be found. Maybe the father had a large life insurance policy on the kid (something that would be routinely checked today)? Is it even possible to have a life insurance policy on a kid?
Solofiddle,thank you for posting here. Yes, it is possible to have a life insurance policy on a child. but LE would have looked carefully at that...So, is it a clear view from the apartment building opposite to the practice area with the back wall ? tia.

Yes, the view from the apt. (now condos) building would have been looking right over the tennis courts. Tall building on a hill, where the term Grandview came from!
By the way - until just discovering this site, I was not aware the body was found in that area soon to be Alum Creek Reservoir. I was fishing there for the first time this summer with some friends on their boat. A beautuful lake, and now I will see it as haunted.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shachio8485
Back