OH OH - Nancy Lee Eagleson, 14, Paulding Co, 13 November 1960

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

After reading all facts and available information. Can Nancys murder be solved?

• Total voters

Attachments

• Dayton_Daily_News_Mon__Nov_14__1960_.pdf
    364 KB · Views: 7
  • Eagleson Akron Beacon Journal 11-16-60.JPG
    Eagleson Akron Beacon Journal 11-16-60.JPG
    43.7 KB · Views: 11
I found the following link to a story that mentions that all the evidence had disappeared in 1960. So since the murder occurs November makes the evidence disappearance so fast very suspect.
Now it seems that several articles seem to make a determination that the shoe and cloth was Nancys. However nothing points to a fact that in fact its hers actual shoes. DNA testing was found to be impossible.
Seems to me that a lot of people who can benefit from any sudden huge publicity make very unlikely fact based claims.
Her body was found within "hours" and I have not located anything yet to a fact of where exactly Nancy was found and the time. I think also a fact that gives the date and background to when the evidence of disappearance. I assume that Nancys body along with the mentioned items of her shoes, dress, a scarf, and her purse was all in evidence along with forensic results from the autopsy all disapeared.
http://docshare04.docshare.tips/files/17706/177061350.pdf

Can you source this info? What makes you think it as stored in the personal living quarters? Do you have inside knowledge or is this your opinion?

1st article in pdf since it's too big to post as jpg - Dayton Daily News, Mon, 11/14/1960
14 Nov 1960, 5 - Dayton Daily News at Newspapers.com
2nd article - pdf - Akron Beacon Journal, Wed 11/16/1960
16 Nov 1960, Page 36 - The Akron Beacon Journal at Newspapers.com

Subscription required for the above links to work
So the two hunters were 38 and 43 at the time. I wonder if they ever remembered anything else about the incident that would be helpful. Edit: Wait, they wouldn't still be alive. Too many years have gone by. Ok, I need to go to bed! LOL!

The links to a few newspaper articles says that Nancy body is found around 2:30am by 2 hunters who are also from Paulding but where they are is not Paulding. The location of her body is "just off of CR 176" the road which runs east to west and is about 3 miles north of Paulding. So I think it seems a lot of coincidentally placed events have to occur.
That 2 hunters not looking for a body finds the body of a girl who was kidnapped hours before from the exact same town they live in...
Seems strange that no one had them down as seriously suspect individuals.

Can you source this info? What makes you think it as stored in the personal living quarters? Do you have inside knowledge or is this your opinion?

So the two hunters were 38 and 43 at the time. I wonder if they ever remembered anything else about the incident that would be helpful. Edit: Wait, they wouldn't still be alive. Too many years have gone by. Ok, I need to go to bed! LOL!

Click on the attachments.
Yes that definitely gives a lot of information. I wished there was a way to find out the exact spot on Flat Rock Nancy was kidnapped and exactly where 8 miles away NE "Off CR 176" Nancys body is found by 2 hunters who are from Paulding at 2:30am, by Joseph C.A. France (38yo) RR 1 Paulding and hunting buddy Kenneth W. Nelson (43yo) also from Paulding.
So I just think that seems really great coincidentally places that this girl is kidnapped from and how large the odds are that 2 hunters from Paulding find her.
I mean just think about the odds of 2 hunters from Paulding jump in their truck to go hunting for Raccoons on that same night Nancy a girl from their small tiny town gets abducted and murdered and by chance happened to be hunting in the exact area that the girl is raped and shot in the head. I mean...

Last edited:
I have no proof of the evidence and where it was lost but I believe that in the Portals to Hell episode it was mentioned that at that time the Sherrifs office was the place it was in chain the chain of custody of the Sherrif. That the Sherrif and his family lived above the office in a residence.
That office by the way was a half block from the theater where Nancy and her little sister started walking home from...
So if that in fact the evidence was in that office and that it disappears is really a huge red flag to me.
Right now I am thinking about a facts point of view and if above occured points to a very limited suspects list.
I think the hunters deciding to go hunting... and just so be in the exact same area that a person is brutally murdered seems very interesting too...
If she is located in such a quick time I suspect that to be a lot of coincidentally timed events all allowed to put together a controlled investigation.
I think if the Sherrif lost the evidence and the girl was found in an hour that means that the hunters and the sheriff probably are part in the event in some way.
If the sherrif lost the evidence and she is found 5 hours later still seem very tight. In an hour for that brutal of an attack to be happening in the area hunters are going to be the ones to find her seems just really convenient.
Now for whom or what reasons... ?
But losing all the evidence of the murder seems like a huge thing to explain or make just a simple oopps...

<modsnip: It is against TOS to accuse a person who is not an officially named POI/suspect>

I thought since I made the statements as more of a opinion that I was OK. I appreciate that you corrected my error.

Yes that definitely gives a lot of information. I wished there was a way to find out the exact spot on Flat Rock Nancy was kidnapped and exactly where 8 miles away NE "Off CR 176" Nancys body is found by 2 hunters who are from Paulding at 2:30am, by Joseph C.A. France (38yo) RR 1 Paulding and hunting buddy Kenneth W. Nelson (43yo) also from Paulding.
So I just think that seems really great coincidentally places that this girl is kidnapped from and how large the odds are that 2 hunters from Paulding find her.
I mean just think about the odds of 2 hunters from Paulding jump in their truck to go hunting for Raccoons on that same night Nancy a girl from their small tiny town gets abducted and murdered and by chance happened to be hunting in the exact area that the girl is raped and shot in the head. I mean...

BBM
Late November (actually most of the month) in the midwest, is a very popular time for hunting. Deer season falls during the month and its also season for many other critters. It's not unusual, its almost common, for missing persons who've met up with foul play to be discovered by hunters in fall, winter or early spring, when most vegetation has died or lost leaves. Sadly, its much easier to find remains of missing persons at that time. It makes me wonder whether the killer was someone not familiar with hunting, or just careless or panicked to dispose of a body then in a common hunting spot.

In 1960, many, if not most men in the area were hunters. Need to check the day of the week to see if she was discovered on a weekend.

Re missing evidence, unfortunately, its also not uncommon in cold cases. LE, especially in small towns, didn't always do things by the book, usually didn't have enough training to process evidence properly, etc. If the evidence went missing soon after the murder, it would be unusual.

I'll read the articles at the Newspapers.com links and see what else we can learn.

ETA: According to Dayton DN, the abduction and murder took place on a Sunday. Hunters discovered her body at 2:30 am, which seems a little unusual, unless they were turkey hunting. Turkey season usually starts 30 minutes before dawn and many hunters go out some time before that to get in position in their "blind". Wild turkey season was in effect on Nov 13/14. It usually runs until the last week of Nov.

Wild Turkey Hunting | eRegulations

Researched this info before on the Rhoden Murders in Ohio, when a turkey hunter reported hearing gunshots in the area near the victims homes.

ETA #2 - Hunters were reported hunting for raccoons, a popular sport at the time and also conducted at night. Coon hunting requires the use of specially trained hunting dogs with a keen sense of smell, so dogs probably helped them locate the girl.

The article also says Nancy's sister ran for help to a nearby neighbors house. Assume that means she was abducted not too far from her home and that her family lived not too distant from downtown.

Ohio State Patrol sent 4 officers upon the report of the kidnapping.

Akron Beacon Journal article at link above:

Her body was found near Junction, OH, 8 miles NE of Paulding.

Sheriff John Keeler said a few new leads were uncovered Tuesday, but would not divulge them.

خرائط ‪Google‬‏‏

Last edited:
A big man in a big car - the only description Nancy's 5 yo sister could provide. 7:30 pm. Sheriff mentions 30 men have been interviewed and ruled out. He also mentions he is having difficulty getting people to talk who should know something about what happened. Wonder who he was referring to?

Link below is to the Marion Star, same date, similar article, but it also mentions Nancy was shot in the throat. Sheriff mentions there were people who made them dig for information who could have told them what they knew. He also mentions some folks were naming names just to get revenge on someone else.

15 Dec 1960, 32 - The Marion Star at Newspapers.com

Attachments

• NancyEgleson.jpg
    NancyEgleson.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 7
More details in this article from the E Liverpool, OH Evening Review

• Her sister said the man was wearing horn rimmed glasses
  • Nancy was found fully clothed, except for her undergarments which had been removed and thrown asid
  • Preliminary autopsy report said she had been shot through the head with a small caliber weapon
  • Sheriff was checking out a number of known sex offenders in NW Ohio
Also attached is an article from the Sandusky Register that mentions a theory that Nancy's murder could be related to the murder of a 9 yo Chicago girl, Gloria Kowalewicz. The problem with that theory, AFAIK, is that Gloria's killer was identified.

Attachments

• NancyEgleson_ELiverpoolArticle.jpg
    NancyEgleson_ELiverpoolArticle.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 8
  • NancyEgleson2.jpg
    NancyEgleson2.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 8
100 west perry paulding to junction where body was found is ca 11 miles away which at the time would have been a 30/40 mins drive?

Time to work on this again. Small town cover up IMO. Who was working in the sheriff office at the time? Or the deputies? And discovered so soon? The guilty probably knew that woods was hunted for coon and the hunters would find her body. My opinion only.

Awareness walk coming this Sunday. At the former theater site. Go fund me account for the purpose of exhuming Nancy to search for DNA. IMO still a cover up job, corrupt LE.

Awareness walk coming this Sunday. At the former theater site. Go fund me account for the purpose of exhuming Nancy to search for DNA. IMO still a cover up job, corrupt LE.
From the articles above, at the time of her murder, it sounds like local and state LE were trying to ID the killer. They sound frustrated that some of the locals weren’t cooperating. It does sound like a possible small town cover up, but JMO, it wasn’t LE. Maybe some folks higher up in the community who had the power.

I hope your local effort to bring interest to the case is successful. Maybe Ohio BCI could take a look at it.

Large man with horn rimmed glasses; driving a large car
Strong enough to grab a teenaged girl off the street and force her into the car
Usually someone younger, under age 40
Possibly acted on impulse, saw an opportunity and took it
Did he not live alone? Would explain why the crime scene was outdoors, in the woods.
Killer was probably local, JMO. Seems unlikely other locals would try to stall the investigation or withhold information for someone who lived outside the area or out of state.

Last edited:
This article from 1965 has a lot of details about the location, killer, kidnapping, etc

The mom thinks the killer spotted the girls at a restaurant where they stopped for sodas. The killer drove past them a couple of times, asking if they wanted a ride. When they said no, he drove back into town, turned around and came back. He then got out of the car and came around to them on the side of the road. He grabbed Nancy and tried to pull her into the car. Nancy fought and her sister jumped on his back, trying to stop him. There were at least 2 houses nearby.

Apparently, this guy was a stranger to Nancy’s sister. She had a frequent and close view of him and his car. Seems he was probably from the area though, since he was familiar and comfortable with driving around the town and finding the woods where locals hunted. Killers usually take their victims to places they’re familiar with, where they know they won’t be seen or interrupted.

Sister reported the man was about 5’8” tall, had a belly like Santa Claus, smelled like alcohol and was “crippled”. Maybe she meant he had a limp or something. She also said the horn rimmed glasses he wore had thick lenses, which made his eyes seem larger than normal.

JMO that’s enough description to make it likely some locals knew who he was. Nancy’s mom seemed to think she had been killed elsewhere and left in the woods, but reports from LE said there was evidence at the scene that she put up a struggle. Strands of her hair were found all around on the nearby bushes.

Last edited:
On November 13th,1960 Nancy Eagleson 14 years old and her sister Merrill Eagleson (Now Miller) 5 years old were walking home after watching a movie at 100 West Perry. A light colored car stopped and a man who Merrill described as wearing glasses grabs Nancy and after abducting her rapes and murders Nancy by shooting the young woman in the head.
About 5 hours later 2 hunters find her body and reporting her location.
I wanted to see what we can build up on the case from the limited information.
Please try to be fixed on the facts in the case.
No need to make an already difficult case even more complex or attempt to take sides.
I doubt the case can be solved. I however think that using our collective experience, access to information, and willingness to work together in the effort can shed light and possibly give a more detailed factual account of the events.

<modsnip>

Welcome.

<ADMIN NOTE: New threads require mainstream (MSM) links to start. I have added the following link to justify opening the thread>

Paulding family hopes discovery of shoe can solve a 53-year-old murder

61134708_128892714823.jpg

[image from findagrave]
From 10/16/2013

A small-sized ladies black shoe was uncovered at the old Paulding County Jail site. It is possible that the shoe is part of the missing evidence from the case. Evidence that was found during the original investigation has been missing for many years, although it was supposedly stored in the old jail. Could this shoe be part of the missing evidence from the unsolved Nancy Eagleson murder case? A shoe, along with the slain teen's dress, scarf, purse and her personal belongings simply disappeared.

Paulding family hopes discovery of shoe can solve a 53-year-old

No dna on shoe

Gray Hughes discusses this case towards the end of his show. Starts about 9:05 on his clock upper right.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drella444
Back