VERDICT WATCH OH - Pike Co - 8 in Rhoden Family Murdered - 4 Wagner Family Members Arrested #85

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was very impressed with the BCI witnesses. They knew their craft and how to explain what they do and what they did in this case. It made me glad that Ohio had people that good on their investigation team…

Was everyone's favorite the ballistics expert with the stylish beard? He was very good, as they all were. The agents who were the first to go in and document and take evidence from the crime scenes were good, too. That had to be a very difficult job. IIRC, some of them were there at Chris Sr's and other locations until well past midnight that first day.

ETA: Matthew White

Was everyone's favorite the ballistics expert with the stylish beard? He was very good, as they all were. The agents who were the first to go in and document and take evidence from the crime scenes were good, too. That had to be a very difficult job. IIRC, some of them were there at Chris Sr's and other locations until well past midnight that first day.

I think a lot of people thought Matthew White was really good.
He sure did have a lot of beard but it was really well manicured. He must be as meticulous with that as he is with his work…

- BCI agent Matt White, a firearms examiner with the state agency, was the expert who examined and identified much of the ballistic evidence collected in all four crime scenes and during all eight autopsies. In testimony Monday, White began by describing the anatomy of a bullet and a gun to the jury and explaining the differences between a center-fired bullet and a rim-fired one. Prosecution also questioned him on the differences between several firearms, including a .40 Glock pistol, a .22 Walther Colt pistol and an SKS rifle — all weapons Canepa claimed the Wagner family used the night of the murders. Prosecution then led him through each crime scene and each piece of ballistic evidence collected from the autopsies; White identified three different kinds of bullets.

In response to your first question, if there is a conviction he would be required to obtain a private firm to represent him and of course at his expense. No free ride this round.

IMO, as I am no legal expert.;)

Woah Nellie. :oops:

So the moving of the bodies were never mentioned by JW as to why? I can’t recall that discussion. It’s called staging, killers trying to throw off the crime scene…confuse the investigation. IMO

The general assumption was to hide the bodies in case someone came by Chris Sr's trailer. It was the first of the murder spree that night and they didn't want anyone to be tipped off and call 911 while the Wagner killers were still in the area murdering other family members.

Woah Nellie. :oops:

Yes, per your link, the court must provide an attorney if the defendant is indigent. It's possible other family may help pay his legal expenses to appeal. It could become expensive if his dad is convicted, too. JMO

Deering said, “reasonable minds could conclude that the defendant is guilty” of the various 22 charges facing George based on the evidence presented in court, including eight counts of aggravated murder.

Wouldn’t the Judge saying: “reasonable minds could conclude that the defendant is guilty” be grounds for a mistrial (even if jurors are sequestered or instructed not to read or watch / listen to anything about the case)? We’re a week away from closing arguments and the judge is pronouncing the defendant guilty?

Jmo

Yes, per your link, the court must provide an attorney if the defendant is indigent. It's possible other family may help pay his legal expenses to appeal. It could become expensive if his dad is convicted, too. JMO
Did GW let it slip on the stand that The Flying W is in his name? That makes him one of the owners of the largest land masses in Pike County, Ohio

I worked in a school system HR dept.

If you're not in court for jury duty you're then required to come into work. If you worked a half day jury, say just in the am, you're required to report to work in the pm.

Jurors are paid on half day increments, so the days they came in only in the pm, they're only paid for half day's work.

They'd be required to turn in their jury paychecks to HR/payroll, and they were paid accordingly to make them whole.

Every employer has their own policy/procedures for jury duty, however.
True, employers each have their own policy.

Every time I have served jury duty (Illinois), the County gave me a check for $17 which I was required to sign over to my employer. In turn my employer did not dock my paycheck for the days. I was a salaried employee at the time.

JMO

Agree Matthew White was very good, but I also loved Dr. Looman, the coroner.

She was a solid witness, as well as I feel she totally understood how guilty the W4 were.

All completely IMO, JMO and etc.

Expect today the prosecution and defense will discuss whether to remove death penalty specifications from the charges against GW4.

Yesterday in the Rule 29 hearing, the judge ruled all 22 charges against GW4 will remain.

Wouldn’t the Judge saying: “reasonable minds could conclude that the defendant is guilty” be grounds for a mistrial (even if jurors are sequestered or instructed not to read or watch / listen to anything about the case)? We’re a week away from closing arguments and the judge is pronouncing the defendant guilty?

Jmo
The key word is Could. He didn’t pronounce them guilty, It was not said in the presence of the jury. The only way they would know that was said is if they do not follow his instructions about not discussing, listening, reading, or watching anything about the trial…

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ZogNCat