OH - Pike Co - 8 in Rhoden Family Murdered - 4 Wagner Family Members Arrested #87

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pike County murder trial: George Wagner IV will serve life in prison, no parole​

WAVERLY, Ohio — George Wagner IV has been sentenced to life without the possibility of parole for his part in the murders of eight members of the Rhoden and Gilley families in Pike County in 2016.

A jury found George guilty of all 22 counts he faced, including eight counts of aggravated murder. He faces up to life in prison for each count of murder; George initially faced the death penalty, but the prosecution agreed to take that off the table in exchange for his mother and brother's testimony against him.

From Patti Newberry on Twitter

Tony Rhoden told the packed courtroom that the Rhoden family brought the two children of the Wagner family into their home for Christmas dinner in 2018. That was just a month after Wagner IV was arrested in for the killings along with his family -- Billy, Angela and Jake Wagner.5

At that gathering, Tony Rhoden said, Geneva Rhoden called all of her grandchildren forward for a present and photo. She included Bulvine Wagner, the son of Wagner IV and Tabitha Claytor. "She puts him on her lap," Tony Rhoden said. Then, "she puts him down and gives him a hug."6

Tony Rhoden said he cried as he watched his mother from a different room. "That was true love," he said. 7/9

I thought 4 was going to take a little nap, during the sentencing. He will be where he belongs. A true coward and it wouldn't surprise me if he took the easy way out.

Now, let us hope 3 pleas out and accept his fate, LWOP

Last edited:
I'm lost trying to listen to the other counts and the sentences. LWOP supersedes any of this, right??? Why bother. Eight LWOPs will keep him in prison until he dies!!

Count 1- aggravated murder - mandatory sentence of LWOP

Count 2 - aggravated murder - mandatory sentence of LWOP

Count 3 - aggravated murder - mandatory sentence of LWOP

Count 4 - aggravated murder - mandatory sentence of LWOP

Count 5 - aggravated murder - mandatory sentence of LWOP

Count 6 - aggravated murder - mandatory sentence of LWOP

Count 7 - aggravated murder - mandatory sentence of LWOP

Count 8 - aggravated murder - mandatory sentence of LWOP

Count 9 - Conspiracy - definite term of 8 years

Count 10 - aggravated burglary - definite 8 years

Count 11 - aggravated burglary - definite 8 years

Count 12 - aggravated burglary - definite 8 years

Count 13 - aggravated burglary - definite 8 years

Count 14 - unlawful possession of dangerous ordinance - 10 months

Count 15 - tampering with evidence - phones and cameras - 24 months

Count 16 - tampering with evidence - custody documents - 24 months

Count 17 - tampering with evidence - home security system and shell casings and silencer - 24 months

Count 18 - forgery - 10 months

Count 19 - unauthorized use of property - 10 months

Count 20 - interception of wire and oral and electronic communications - 12 months

Count 21 - obstructing justice - 10 months

Count 22 - engaging in a pattern of corrupt activity - 8 years mandatory term

SPECIFICATIONS

Specification 3 to count 1 - mandatory prison term of 6 years
Specification 3 to count 2 - mandatory prison term of 6 years
Specification 3 to count 3 - mandatory prison term of 6 years
Specification 3 to count 4 - mandatory prison term of 6 years
Specification 3 to count 5 - mandatory prison term of 6 years
Specification 3 to count 6 - mandatory prison term of 6 years
Specification 3 to count 7 - mandatory prison term of 6 years
Specification 3 to count 8 - mandatory prison term of 6 years
Specification 3 to count 10 - mandatory prison term of 6 years
Specification 3 to count 11 - mandatory prison term of 6 years
Specification 3 to count 12 - mandatory prison term of 6 years
Specification 3 to count 13 - mandatory prison term of 6 years
Specification 2 to count 14 - mandatory prison term of 3 years
Specification 3 to count 22 - mandatory prison term of 6 years

Resulting in a total of mandatory prison terms of 81 years for those firearms specifications which are to be served consecutively to each other and consecutively to and prior to the prison terms imposed for the underlying felonies and also those prison terms available in years are not to be reduced.........and no jail time credit for those.

George:

12/19/2022 DEFENDANT'S MOTION TO APPOINT APPELLATE COUNSEL FILED
Attorney: PARKER, JOHN PATRICK

12/19/2022 MEMORANDUM CONTRA DEFENDANT'S MOTION FOR NEW TRIAL FILED
Attorney: JUNK, PROSECUTING ATTORNEY, ROBERT

Count 1- aggravated murder - mandatory sentence of LWOP

Count 17 - tampering with evidence - home security system and shell casings and silencer - 24 months

Count 20 - interception of wire and oral and electronic communications - 12 months

SPECIFICATIONS

Resulting in a total of mandatory prison terms of 81 years for those firearms specifications which are to be served consecutively to each other and consecutively to and prior to the prison terms imposed for the underlying felonies and also those prison terms available in years are not to be reduced.........and no jail time credit for those.
I am so glad the Rhoden/Gilley/Manley families have got a small piece of justice today. 3 down and one more to go.

Somehow, I hope Billy Wagner got to watch the sentencing of his son today. Somehow, I hope it sinks in just how evil the Wagner 4 are and what the 4 of them did to so many innocent people. Not just the 8 people they killed in their sleep, but the hurt they caused the many others that were close to them. Including the 3 young children who were in their homes that night. Including the hurt to his own grand daughter Sophia.

If there was just one ounce of good in anyone of the 4 wagners, it could have been stopped. This goes especially for Billy Wagner. I just believe it is your job as a father, as a parent, to teach you children right from wrong. Billy failed miserably at this. It is hard for me to wrap my head around a father who teaches his sons to commit crime after crime after crime. Culminating in the murder of 8 people in their sleep.

I think of all the infamous evil people we have had in this country....John Wayne Gacy, Jeffery Dahmer, Ted Bundy, BTK etc. And where does this crime family compare. In this instance it was a family of 4 evil killers that worked together to plan, commit and cover up these murders. I do not know where they rank in the list of evil people, I am just glad they will all be going to prison for a very long time.

Update!

Monday, December 19th:
*Sentencing Hearing & Motions Hearing (@ 10am ET) - OH - Pike County 8 people dead: Christopher Rhoden, Sr. (40), his ex-wife, Dana Manley Rhoden (37), their three children, Clarence "Frankie" Rhoden (20), Christopher Jr. (16), Hanna Mae (19); Frankie's fiancée, Hannah Hazel Gilley (20), Christopher Rhoden Sr.'s brother, Kenneth Rhoden (44), & a cousin, Gary Rhoden (37). Hanna Rhoden's baby girl (5 days old), another baby (6 mos.) & a young child (3) were unharmed. (April 21-22, 2016, Pebbles) – for *George Washington Wagner IV (27/now 31) (Jakes’ bro) indicted (11/12/18), arrested (11/13/18), charged (11/15/18) & arraigned (11/28/18) with 8 counts aggravated murder, (plus gun specifications on each), 1 count of 1st degree conspiracy, 4 counts of 1st degree aggravated burglary, 1 count of 5th degree unlawful possession of dangerous ordnance, 3 counts of 3rd degree evidence tampering, 1 count of 5th degree forgery, 1 count of 5th degree unauthorized use of computer or telecommunications, 1 count of 4th degree interception of wire, oral or electronic communication, 1 count of 5th degree obstructing justice, & 1 count of 1st degree engaging in a pattern of corrupt activity. Plead not guilty. Held without bond. DA will seek the DP. Per Jake’s plea agreement, DP is off the table only for Jake if his testimony is truthful. But George still faces the DP as he did not take a deal. DP dropped by Judge on 11/22/22.
Trial began on 8/29/22 with final jury selection & the jury was seated on 8/30/22. 12 Jurors & 6 alternates. Jury: (9 women & 3 men) & 6 alternates: (5 women & 1 man). 9/30/22: Ill juror replaced with alternate. 12 jurors & 5 alternates. Jury: (9 women & 3 men) & 5 alternates (4 women & 1 man). A few are in their late 20s or 30s, but most are in their 40s or 50s.
Trial began with opening statements on Monday, 9/12/22 & ended on 11/18/22. State rested their case on 11/18/22. Defense rested their case 11/18/22. Closing arguments began on 11/28 & ended on 11/29/22. Jury started deliberations on 11/30/22.

Crime info & court hearings from 11/28/18 thru 9/6/22 & Trial Day 1-45 (9/12 to 11/18/22) no court/jury on 10/27, 11/4 & 11/11, 11/14 & 11/21 & 11/22/22 & Closing 11/28 to 11/29/22 & Jury deliberations & verdict on 11/30/22 reference post #5 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...d-4-wagner-family-members-arrested-87.648136/

11/30/22 Wednesday, Trial Day 48/Deliberations Day 1: VERDICT REACHED!
Guilty of aggravated murder for all 8 people, with all 8 gun specifications as indicted; Guilty of conspiracy; Guilty of aggravated burglary (4 counts); Guilty of aggravated burglary with firearm; Guilty of unlawful dangerous ordinance; Guilty of tampering with evidence (3 counts); Guilty of forgery; Guilty of unauthorized use of property; Guilty of intercepting communication; Guilty of obstructing justice; Guilty of engaging in a pattern of corrupt activity Judge Deering suggests scheduling sentencing between 12/14/22 & 12/23/22 (the last working day before the Christmas holiday). Pre sentencing memos to be received by 12/14/22.
12/2/22 Update: Sentencing hearing is set on 12/19/22 @ 10am. 12/14/22: Defendant's Sentencing Memorandum. Asking for a chance at parole in his sentencing memo since Angela Wagner has an out date. Motion #120: Defendant's motion for a new trial. Motion for new trial due to begin tried by a death penalty conviction prone specialized jury, the State had no intention of seeking death against him.
12/15/22 Update: Motions hearing on 12/19/22 at 10am.
12/19/22 Monday: Arguing defense motions for new trial. Introduced last week - says they should have had access to Jake's conversations with his lawyers & that jury should have been told earlier about death penalty being lifted against Jake. Judge Deering denies defense motion.
For more info see posts #363 (video), 372, 373 & 376 & 389 (on page 20) here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...ner-family-members-arrested-87.648136/page-19
Victim impact statements. Hannah Gilley's aunt read by victims' advocate. Andrea Shoemaker, the mother of Hannah Hazel Gilley. Kendra Rhoden, daughter of victim Kenneth Rhoden. Chelsea Robinson, Frankie's former girlfriend & mother of their son. April Manley speaking for Leonard Manley & Dana Rhoden's sister in law. Victims' advocate Cindy reading statement from Bobby Manley, Dana's sister. Statement read from Ruth Rhoden, Gary's mother. Tony Rhoden, brother of Chris Sr. & Kenneth Rhoden. Tony now reading statement from Geneva Rhoden, his mother & mother of Chris Sr. & Kenneth.
For more info see posts #381, 385, 386 & 389 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...ner-family-members-arrested-87.648136/page-20
Sentenced:
Count 1 - aggravated murder - mandatory sentence of LWOP
Count 17 - tampering with evidence - home security system & shell casings & silencer - 24 months
Count 20 - interception of wire & oral & electronic communications - 12 months
Resulting in a total of mandatory prison terms of 81 years for those firearms specifications which are to be served consecutively to each other & consecutively to & prior to the prison terms imposed for the underlying felonies & also those prison terms available in years are not to be reduced & no jail time credit for those.
12/19/22: Defendant's motion to appoint appellate Counsel filed by John P. Parker. Memorandum contra Defendant's motion for new trial filed by prosecuting attorney Robert Junk.
For more info see posts #391, 396, 396 & 399 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...ner-family-members-arrested-87.648136/page-20
For more info see posts #415 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...ner-family-members-arrested-87.648136/page-21

*George Washington Wagner III (47/now 51)Last pretrial hearing on 2/1/22.
*Edward Jacob “Jake” Wagner (26/now 30) – Plead guilty (4/22/21) to all charges & will be sentenced to 8 consecutive life terms without the possibility of parole & will testify in the trials.
*Angela Jo Wagner (48/now 52) – 9/10/21: Plead guilty to a plea deal to Counts 9 thru 22, Counts 1-8 were dismissed. Will be sentenced to 30 years in prison with no early release & has to testify against others at trial. Release date in 2048.
*Rita Jo Newcomb (65/now 69) – Last Motions hearing on 12/2/19 entered a plea of guilty. Expected to testify in the trials.
*Fredericka Carol Wagner (76/now 80) – 6/26/19 Charges were dismissed without prejudice.

"Dear George," she read, sobbing. "I find myself wondering why you killed my daddy?

"There are things that make me sad because I can’t learn from him. He could have taught me stuff like working on derby cars and hunting. My mommy tried, but it's not as good as daddy was.

"I've been scared since that night, knowing bad guys came into my house while I was sleeping. I'm always scared now that I will lose my mommy.

"You did that to me. I just want you to know I hate you and your family."

Those are the words of a 10-year-old boy, Robinson added, crying. Her son was asleep on the couch that night, as George's brother Jake "slithered" through a window of the home where Frankie and Hannah Hazel lived and crept past the sleeping toddler to their bedroom, where he shot them both to death.

Now up - Tony Rhoden. Brother of Chris Sr. and Kenneth Rhoden. Telling stories of growing up with his brothers. Had to chase him down and carry Chris to the bus.

Chris was "caring, gracious and kind" life was cut short "by others committing selfish acts.”

All of the victim statements were excellent, truthful and revealing of the suffering of those left behind.

Tony's statement was very good in the way he told anecdotes about each victim, made you think of them as they were in life. I loved the story above about Chris Sr. Tony said the bus pulled up in front of the cornfield and every time Chris would take off running into the cornfield. He had to chase him down. Told stories of mud fights, etc. (we did those as kids, too).

If anyone ever does a movie about these murders, I hope they open with the scene of Chris Sr running away in the corn field with Tony chasing him down and putting him on the bus. I don't know why, but I think that would be a great scene to start with. Maybe tell the story through the eyes of the victims families. JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pbod153