OH - Pike Co - 8 in Rhoden Family Murdered - 4 Wagner Family Members Arrested #88

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
A hearing today?

@Betty P I demand.....just kidding.....that you transcribe these for us. Something you have literally been doing for 8 years.

I will go up and check because I bet you did.

@arielilane .... I see you are busy with this case too. I was hoping to get the ole gang back plus new posters for Billy's Motions and trial....then for the 3 sentencings.

A hearing today?

@Betty P I demand.....just kidding.....that you transcribe these for us. Something you have literally been doing for 8 years.

I will go up and check because I bet you did.

@arielilane .... I see you are busy with this case too. I was hoping to get the ole gang back plus new posters for Billy's Motions and trial....then for the 3 sentencings.

If I remember to watch for them, I'll do it. @Puzzles8 posted a reminder, so we tuned in just in time. It helps if someone else watches because I only focus on the audio when I'm writing commentary.

Most memorable hearing: Transcribing as Jake said testified he would plead guilty and assist the state.

Thank you @Betty P and @arielilane for the great coverage of today's hearing. I watched the hearing but the feed kept buffering and I missed half of what was said.

From what I saw, here are my impressions.

Billy was in Jailhouse Orange/Butler County Jail Uniform clothing, clearly marked on his back. It also looked like he had handcuffs on. At the beginning, all of the defense attorneys were so adamant about the W4 being in civilian clothing and the physical restraints not shown to the public. I wonder why the change? I can't imagine it was his attorney's choice. It makes me wonder if Billy has psychologically given up and is waiting for the best Plea Deal he can get?

I really like the new judge. IMO he made it a point to recognize Billy's right to a fair trial as well as to acknowledge the grief of the Rhoden/Manley and Gilley Familys.

I do think the Court should have removed the nameplate of Rob Junk sitting in front of the Judge. It's confusing.

I like the fact that Judge Hein is making it clear, he will accommodate as many hearings as are necessary to facilitate the January 2025 Trial date.

I'm still marking the January 2025 Trial date on my calendar.....in pencil....

JMO
I also wondered why he had cuffs and orange suit on. Could be that he declined to change into street clothes and vest or maybe there is another reason and those options were taken from him. He may have had on vest also, its hard to tell.
This has the video of the hearing.

Last edited:
What is the chance this trial will go ahead come January? Pretty good? I feel a bit hopeful for the 1st time in a while concerning this trial. Dead snails crawl faster than this entire sad case. I feel so very badly for the family of the victims. Anyone see any hope for a plea deal before then? I just don't think Mommy Dearest would ever allow him to admit guilt. And maybe AC isn't offering. I hope she takes a real long vacation after the prison cell doors finally close on them all.
I do look forward to visiting with you all for the duration.
Jillian

I have followed this case from the beginning. This whole case seems to be a disservice to the victims and their families. I cannot believe it's been allowed to drag out as long as it has. Is this normal for Ohio? Is this normal for murder cases in general?

Taking long for various reasons.......My take on it......

1.) Death Penalty Cases are different and require death penalty Motions and mitigation experts, higher standards.

2.) Death Penalty attorneys have to plan for, file Motiobs for, and hire investigators for the Penalty Phase Trial. If found guilty there is a second trial to see if the defendant gets LWOP or the DP.

3.) There are 4 defendants and it can take years just for one DP defendant.

4.) George wanted a Bond Hearing and it required preparation and witnessess.

5.) Covid

6.) Judge retired

7.) That judge retired.

8.) Now a new judge.

9.) It took awhile to depose Jake and Angela when they decided to plead guilty. Then search Warrants were issued and divers and detectives secured to get the evidence out of the FWF pond. They also had to find and impound the murder vehicle the Wagner Crime Family bought just for that night. Then the state forensics lab had to process all of this new evidence including the ballistics with the 3 guns found. I think they got all 3 from the pond....hard to remember so many details.

10.) I forgot, there were originally 6 defendants and those 2 grandmothers took up alot of court time with hearings and Motions and both of them almost had trials. One case dismissed and one was a plea deal.

11.) Angela's phone calls were transcribed and her and her mother had to have court hearings for violating the family gag order. The 6 defendants were not allowed to communicate but Angela did anyway.

12.) An extreme amount of evidence that had the judge almost hire some outside source to sort it all out but he never did as far as I know. The defense and prosecutors met at BCI to go over evidence together.

... My take on it ...

Last edited:
I have followed this case from the beginning. This whole case seems to be a disservice to the victims and their families. I cannot believe it's been allowed to drag out as long as it has. Is this normal for Ohio? Is this normal for murder cases in general?

IMO, this 2016 massacre of 8 individuals was extraordinary so probably not the best criminal case to gauge Ohio Criminal Courts by.

We know GW III, the remaining defendant charged here and awaiting trial was first jailed in 2018, and his trial date has been pushed out to January 2025 as of this date.

There are several outstanding Motions by the Defense to be heard before his trial and one does not know how the State will respond to those Motions so probably safe to say January is a pending date.

That said, the retired Judge (Darke County Judge Jonathan Hein) assigned to this trial is no novice so I think there's room for optimism to finally get GW III convicted and sent to the big house in early 2025.

In comparison, I'm following another family massacre in Colts Neck, NJ of a husband, wife, and their two children, allegedly murdered by the victims brother, Paul Caneiro. In this case, there is only one defendant and the trial date continues to be pushed out with minimal if any info shared with the public. There's also scant MSM reporting for the case. Adding salt to the wound is criminal cases and criminal court calendars are not available for viewing on the public portal for NJ Courts!

So in my opinion, OH Courts really stepped up to the plate for the victims here.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
australianwebsleuth
Back