OH Pike Co., 8 in Rhoden Family Murdered Over Custody Issue, 4 Members Wagner Family Arrested #52

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
and yes, I'll be shortening this up a bit....

Wednesday, December 11th:
*Motions Hearing (@ 1:30pm ET) - OH - Pike County 8 people dead: Christopher Rhoden, Sr. (40), his ex-wife, Dana Manley Rhoden (37), their three children, Clarence "Frankie" Rhoden (20), Christopher Jr. (16), Hanna Mae (19); Frankie's fiancée, Hannah Hazel Gilley (20), Christopher Rhoden Sr.'s brother, Kenneth Rhoden (44), & a cousin, Gary Rhoden (38). Hanna Rhoden's baby girl (5 days old), another baby (6 mos.) and a young child (3) were unharmed. (April 21-22, 2016, Pebbles) - for *Angela Jo Wagner (48) (Jakes’ mother) indicted (11/12/18), arrested (11/13/18) & charged (11/15/18) & arraigned (11/29/18) with 8 counts aggravated murder, (plus gun specifications on each), 1 count conspiracy, 4 counts aggravated burglary, 1 count unlawful possession of dangerous ordnance, 3 counts evidence tampering, 1 count forgery, 1 count unauthorized use of property, 1 count interception of wire, oral or electronic communication, 1 count obstructing justice, 1 count engaging in a pattern of corrupt activity. Plead not guilty. No bond.
Court information from 11/19/18 thru 8/6/19 reference post #1076 here:
OH Pike Co., 8 in Rhoden Family Murdered Over Custody Issue, 4 Members Wagner Family Arrested #50

9/16/19 Update: Judge Deering just suspended all of her phone privileges AND letter writing privileges. She will only be corresponding by phone and through the mail with her attorneys. He did not give a date to how long this will be for, probably her attorneys will submit a Motion in "X" amount of time, asking for her privileges back. Her attorneys did not argue this Motion to Suspend Privileges, her attorney admitted she had "violated a court order." Defense motion to wear street clothes-granted. She can wear street clothes without visible restraints. Her clothes need to be brought to court and can be kept at the courthouse. Monday’s hearing heard 49 motions from Wagner’s attorneys such as one that says the death penalty is unconstitutional. Judge Deering is expected to take matters under advisement and issue an opinion later. Defendant's motion to instruct the Jury to consider mercy in its mitigation phase deliberations, and to prohibit the Prosecutor from arguing that the jury should not consider mercy filed. Scheduling Conference hearing December. Substantive motions due Nov 1 from defense with responses from prosecutors due Nov 22.
9/16/19 Update: The State of Ohio & the Defendant, through her attorneys, agreed to modify the schedule for filing "substantive" pre-trial motions. Upon such agreement of the parties, it is hereby ORDERED that the Defendant shall serve & file all "substantive" pre-trial motions on or before November 1, 2019; that the State of Ohio shall serve & file all responses to the Defendant's "substantive" pre-trial motions on or before November 22, 2019; and that the Defendant shall serve & file all rebuttal arguments, if any, concerning the Defendant's "substantive" pre-trial motions on or before December 6, 2019. A pre-trial hearing & scheduling conference is scheduled in this action for Wednesday, Dec. 11, 2019, at 1:30p.m. The Court finds that the Defendant has violated the order of this Court by engaging in several telephone conversations with Newcomb & by exchanging written correspondence with Newcomb; and the Court further determines that the Defendant's violation of the order of this Court warrants restriction of the Defendant's telephone and mail privileges, as hereinafter set forth. Therefore, the Court hereby revokes, in part, the telephone & mail privileges of the Defendant, Angela Jo Wagner, including incoming & outgoing correspondence by telephone and mail, except for the Defendant's communication by telephone & mail with the Defendant's attorneys and with investigators and mitigation experts employed by the Defendant's attorneys.
The Court finds the State of Ohio opposes, at least in part, Defendant's Motions No. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 15, 16, 17, 19, 20, 21, 22, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, and 49.
The Court hereby issues the following decisions with respect to Defendant's Motion No. 1, Defendant's Motion No. 2, Defendant's Motion No. 12, Defendant's Motion No. 14, Defendant's Motion No. 17, Defendant's Motion No. 18, Defendant's Motion No. 23, and Defendant's Motion No. 48: ref. link: https://www.pikecountycpcourt.org/eservices/search.page.3?x=gXo4rsky9LOze1RCxHbBMQeQ8o6UjSRxobbt8-mNE7yJ5IWwNwhJE7Wwy-4LqguhYgpA6CTy4qKslLa23tGRCQ

*George Washington Wagner III (47) – Pretrial hearing on 2/11/20.
*Edward Jacob "Jake" Wagner (26) – Fact Specific Motions hearing on 12/11.
*George Washington Wagner IV (28) – Pretrial & Scheduling conference hearing on 1/21/20.
*Rita Jo Newcomb (65) – Motion hearing on 12/2. No further courts dates yet as of 12/11.
*Fredericka Carol Wagner (76) – 6/26/19 Charges dismissed without prejudice.

I agree, CC. Something had Robin upset at the beginning and FW, too, at the end.

....Perhaps reality is finally setting in.

....Billy's not coming home for Christmas...AGAIN, this year, likely never.

....That old saying that "money can't buy happiness" turns out to be true.

It wasn't supposed to be this way! Isn't there a fine he can pay???
I think GW3 looked very haggard. I don't think prison life has been good to him. That could be why his mother and sister were concerned. He's lost his swagger and looks unwell. Maybe he's had some sleepless nights, worrying, since RN's plea. Here's hoping.

AW hearing will be especially telling tomorrow. Her reaction to RN's confession about her telling RN to lie. Also, I look for AW's attorneys to ask for her phone and mail privileges to be restored. Hope Judge Deering will not comply, since RN has no rulings yet, not even a court date. JMO
I don't think AW's lawyers would want her phone and mail privileges restored. She can still make matters worse for them trying to defend her. JMO

Betty, I may be alone in this opinion, which is fine, but I don't believe for one moment that RN is innocent in all this. And I for sure don't buy that she has turned against her daughter. Attorneys get paid well for a reason. JMO
I certainly don't believe she all of a sudden wanted to plea guilty because it was the right and Christian thing to do. She didn't want to go to jail for apparently not signing "the documents". I still think RN knew, as soon as the R's and HHG were murdered, who was responsible. AJMO

Betty, I may be alone in this opinion, which is fine, but I don't believe for one moment that RN is innocent in all this. And I for sure don't buy that she has turned against her daughter. Attorneys get paid well for a reason. JMO

I don't think RN is innocent, either. She did make a bargain with the prosecution, though. We'll see how that turns out.

I certainly don't believe she all of a sudden wanted to plea guilty because it was the right and Christian thing to do. She didn't want to go to jail for apparently not signing "the documents". I still think RN knew, as soon as the R's and HHG were murdered, who was responsible. AJMO

Agree, but I'm not sure she knew of it beforehand. It would be interesting to know when she discovered that Angela W had forged her signature on the custody docs - before or after the murders?

This article helps verify the lie she told the Grand Jury:

"..Prosecutor Angela Canepa said in Pike County Common Pleas Court that a handwriting expert concluded that Newcomb had not signed the documents herself.

Canepa said that Newcomb admitted to falsely telling a grand jury and investigators that she had signed the documents only because her daughter — Angela Wagner, who is among those charged with the killingstold her to do so.."

So I know Rita was tired of lying but I wonder what other motivations may have been at play to convince Rita to stop lying and come clean?

Could be because the trial was close to starting and she was afraid of the outcome, she was afraid of going to jail or prison.

Could be she feels "safe" from Angie's "anger/vengence" because not only is Angie "cut off" from her right now, but Angie might never come back home to South Webster.

Could be because of the handwriting experts' opinions---that her signature is forged.
Could be her attorney strongly advised her to take a plea deal.
Could be her family strongly advised her to do so, plus, she has grandkids.
Could be she couldn't risk jail time because she needs (now) to care for her mom.
Could be she secretly suspects her daughter is guilty.
Could be a combination of reasons.

And maybe just maybe she was tired of Angela asking her to lie, bossing her around, and almost getting her bond revoked. None of that would give her the warm fuzzys towards her daughter..... Just Opinions.....

Holly Zachariah verified
writer/intern coordinator
The Columbus Dispatch

Personally, my opinion is she was afraid of getting a long prison sentence. She even asked the judge to clarify she maximum sentence for her guilty plea. That may be partially, or fully, due to her mother needing a care taker.

I think GW3 looked very haggard. I don't think prison life has been good to him. That could be why his mother and sister were concerned. He's lost his swagger and looks unwell. Maybe he's had some sleepless nights, worrying, since RN's plea. Here's hoping.

I thought the same, he had bags under his eyes, worry lines. It must be stressful when it all comes crashing down and you're forced to face the consequences for what you've done. I have a feeling Billy & GW3 would make different choices about the murders if they could turn back time. Not feeling any pity for them, they definitely deserve to face justice.

ETA: Just wondering about any scenario in which I'd sit down with my husband and sons to plot and carry out the murder of 8 people, including the mother of my grandchild, my friend, etc. Neighbors, people who lived in the community, who attended church with me. Who presented no threat or danger to me or my family.

I just can't get my head around that.

Last edited:

I agree with Loomis, I do not believe RN finally made the right "Christian" decision. IMO she was out of options and it would be more damning for her family if she went through a trail. I also think the prosecution was more than happy to keep the evidence under wraps until they are ready to present it at the murder trails otherwise they would not have offered her a plea deal.

I thought the same, he had bags under his eyes, worry lines. It must be stressful when it all comes crashing down and you're forced to face the consequences for what you've done. I have a feeling Billy & GW3 would make different choices about the murders if they could turn back time. Not feeling any pity for them, they definitely deserve to face justice.

ETA: Just wondering about any scenario in which I'd sit down with my husband and sons to plot and carry out the murder of 8 people, including the mother of my grandchild, my friend, etc. Neighbors, people who lived in the community, who attended church with me. Who presented no threat or danger to me or my family.

I just can't get my head around that.
I just can't fathom it either Betty. I can see what happened but will never understand such evil.

Ok, somehow I missed the hearing beginning. Had it on live and heard nothing. Refreshed the screen and it came up with the hearing ending. Sorry, will have to wait until it runs again.

Did anyone else hear anything? It must have been pretty short.

Weird live feed.

Ok, somehow I missed the hearing beginning. Had it on live and heard nothing. Refreshed the screen and it came up with the hearing ending. Sorry, will have to wait until it runs again.

Weird live feed.
Yes, I watched the whole thing and it was short. They talked about having a Discovery Coordinator, the same issue that was discussed at BW's hearing the other day.

Weird live feed.
Nothing too much happened. JW's defense also think it's a good idea to have a discovery coordinator, to be decided by Jan 30th. They also want by the end of Dec all discovery disclosed about the last search of Flying W Farm and anything that comes of RN talking with the prosecution per her plea agreement.

I just have to say it sure looked like a BIG slap in the face at the adjournment when JW didn't even look in the direction of his grandma and aunt, like they didn't even exist. FW had even taken off her glasses in anticipation of meeting his eyes, I think, and he just totally snubbed her.

JW's attorney mentioned about RN changing her plea, but I couldn't hear exactly what was said. JW always smiles at the judge when he asks him a question. Robin and FW were sitting behind him. Miss Geneva was in her usual seat.

Personally, my opinion is she was afraid of getting a long prison sentence. She even asked the judge to clarify she maximum sentence for her guilty plea. That may be partially, or fully, due to her mother needing a care taker.
Rita Newcomb plead guilty to the 4th charge on her 5 counts but they still could bring murder charges on her unless she worked out a deal, JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mutations