OH Pike Co., 8 in Rhoden Family Murdered Over Custody Issue, 4 Members Wagner Family Arrested #56

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes it's cancelled and appears that the defense is hunting for more discovery to make Billy's bond motion stronger, then they'll reschedule. I think the defense cancelled his bond hearing because they don't feel their arguments are strong enough. What are they fishing for?

What evidence do they think they don't have? Remember his bond motion? All those reasons he's innocent etc.... Yet here they go and cancelled it. Not boding well for Billy in my opinion.

I agree, and hope so!

The two Discovery documents BW's attorneys keep referring to are dated 12/20/18 and 1/17/19 (see Jake's discovery) and are in ONE Discovery document for Billy dated 1.17.19. They were both entered into Discovery as one document for Billy Wagner dated 1.17.19, but his attorneys claimed they were lost. Perhaps someone can post a copy of the one Discovery.

Last edited:
So that means the 8/6/20 hearing is cancelled? His next hearing after that is evidentiary hearing on 9/8 per my notes.

JMO, there is no more evidence for discovery. AC has handed it over. Four cases this important, the state is not going to take chances by hiding evidence. That's not how things work when the current governor of Ohio personally supervised the investigation and prosecution of these 4 killers.

Its another red herring/distraction by GW4's defense team. Also, a delaying tactic for more billable hours. I also think these BS accusations are an attempt to provoke the judge or the prosecution into saying or doing something the defense could use to demand a ruling for a mistrial. It's a game. This process has been dragging on now for nearly 2 YEARS.

These defense attorneys are still playing games.

She may have said confidential reliable source, I said "informant" because that's what wording the linked article used. Regardless, I would like to know who those persons were the Wagner's spoke of. o_O

Edit to add:

You are correct Dudley. Canepa said confidential reliable source

If it's a person, we'll have to wait for the trial. It would be unfair to name witnesses now. It could compromise their safety and could cause problems with the case going to trial.

We already know that FW sought the names of the Grand Jury members, and was refused that information. She may still have other charges brought against her if the prosecution takes her case to the GJ again.

Rhoden massacre: Ex-prosecutor says Fredericka Wagner 'not out of jeopardy'

Agree, I don't think there was anything that happened in her son's family that she didn't know about. They were nearly 100% financially dependent on her. They were an "enmeshed" family.

From Loomis:

The two Discovery documents BW's attorneys keep referring to are dated 12/20/18 and 1/17/19 (see Jake's discovery) and are in ONE Discovery document for Billy dated 1.17.19. They were both entered into Discovery as one document for Billy Wagner dated 1.17.19, but his attorneys claimed they were lost. Perhaps someone can post a copy of the one Discovery.

Is that the "dog ate my homework" defense? How does a highly paid defense attorney who argues death penalty cases "lose" copies of evidence information?

Last edited:
CC
I need you to help me find out in the beginning of the murders I read some news report that said part of a suppresser was found a in one of the mobile homes, evidently omen of the suppresser came apart, what made me think of this is the ATF report said parts of a suppresser was found in a well, JMO

(snipped)

I have never seen an article of what was in the trailers except for:

Tony Rhoden:

There are keepsakes in those homes, he said, items that he's sure would help his mother in her grief — including quilts she hand-stitched for each of her children as Christmas presents.

"The sheriff’s department, the murderers and BCI will never know what they have taken away from my mom,'' Rhoden said. "In taking those dwellings away, we never got that. You cannot tell me that it wouldn't have been a great thing for her to have those on her bed. To put those on her bed, I believe, may have made a difference in her grieving process.

"But she never had that opportunity,'' he said. "Is that right or wrong? I can't answer that.”

Still, he not only understands the heartbreaking delay, he nearly agrees with it.

"In the end, it might be right if they catch 'em."

Does he think his mother, Geneva Rhoden, now 73, will see that day?

"I believe it will be solved,'' he said. "Will it happen tomorrow? A year from now? Ten years from now? I can’t answer that. I really can’t. But you have to believe."

Rhoden Family Massacre: With no answers, family marks time

Agree, I don't think there was anything that happened in her son's family that she didn't know about. They were nearly 100% financially dependent on her. They were an "enmeshed" family.

From Loomis:

Is that the "dog ate my homework" defense? How does a highly paid defense attorney who argues death penalty cases "lose" copies of evidence information?

Betty, did you see that memo asking for bail? It sounds like a 5th grader wrote it! JMO

Appears the killers were able to lock Frankie's and Chris's doors but I have never heard anything about Dana's and Kenny's doors being found locked.

From the sound of it, through all the news and interviews it seems to me that those 2 residences were left unlocked for some reason.

Donald Stone said: 'Kenneth would normally padlock the camper where he lived from the outside when he left.

'When I didn't hear from him I went to the camper and it was unlocked and his truck was outside and I felt there must have been something wrong.

Ohio family massacre victim had $1k in cash strewn at his feet and was shot in the head | Daily Mail Online

Correct. Kenny's home was a camper and locked with a padlock from the outside. When he was inside asleep, he kept his dog with him.

Correct. Kenny's home was a camper and locked with a padlock from the outside. When he was inside asleep, he kept his dog with him.
Easy for Wagner's to find out about the locks because Kenny lived on Left Fork Road and Left Fork Road intersects with Camp Creek Road which is the road FWF is on.

If you drive for only 3.3 miles, about 4 minutes, from FWF you will get to Left Fork Road, turn left and Chris owns land down there where Kenny lived. His nephew lived next door and Kenny used his nephew's address to get his mail.

Wagner's could think up any number of reasons for stopping by Kenny's, get acquainted with Brownie, learn about trail cams and locks etc...

I think you are right that Brownie was kept in to be the alarm and guard dog while Kenny slept. Kendra has Brownie now.

Kendra Rhoden wonders if the loaded gun her dad kept near his head while he slept was also taken. She also doesn’t understand why her light-sleeping father wasn’t startled awake before he was shot once in the right eye. To her, that indicates he must have known or trusted his killer.

Kendra Rhoden, who recently moved out of state, has Brownie. Paisley (one of Chris Sr's dogs) the boxer, is living with Brentley Rhoden, the 3-year-old son of Frankie Rhoden, and his mom, said his grandmother Samantha Robinson. She's exactly where she needs to be, she's a nice addition to the family.''

Ohio family clings to hope 3 months after 8 killed

Last edited:
How do you know if the camper door didn’t lock from the inside??? I had a camper once that the door key was lost but we still could lock the door from the inside, JMO

I have a theory that because he used a pad lock on the outside that the door lock was broken on both the outside and inside and that the Wagner's knew this. Easy for them to find out because Kenny lived on Left Fork Road and Left Fork Road intersects with Camp Creek Road which is the road FWF is on.

If you drive for only 3.3 miles, about 4 minutes, from FWF you will get to Left Fork Road, turn left and Chris owns land down there where Kenny lived. His nephew lived next door and Kenny used his nephew's address to get his mail.

Wagner's could think up any number of reasons for stopping by Kenny's, get acquainted with Brownie, learn about trail cams and locks etc...

I think you are right that Brownie was kept in to be the alarm and guard dog while Kenny slept. Kendra has Brownie now.

Anyone remember the pic of the atv on the railroad tracks? Caption: " Nice evening for a ride on the tracks" GW's Fakebook. Pretty sure it was dated the 21st.

How do you know if the camper door didn’t lock from the inside??? I had a camper once that the door key was lost but we still could lock the door from the inside, JMO

That's possible. The only information I've ever come across WRT Kenneth's door is that same quote you used from DS about the padlock on the outside.

This has been discussed here many times with some good theories, but we'll probably have to wait until the trial to know the facts. Obviously, the killers were somehow able to get in the doors, deal with the dogs and brutally murder their victims.

The state and LE have seen fit to keep those details from the public for now and I trust their reasoning. We'll just have to wait and see.

JMO

Easy for Wagner's to find out about the locks because Kenny lived on Left Fork Road and Left Fork Road intersects with Camp Creek Road which is the road FWF is on.

Kendra Rhoden wonders if the loaded gun her dad kept near his head while he slept was also taken. She also doesn’t understand why her light-sleeping father wasn’t startled awake before he was shot once in the right eye. To her, that indicates he must have known or trusted his killer.

Kendra Rhoden, who recently moved out of state, has Brownie. Paisley (one of Chris Sr's dogs) the boxer, is living with Brentley Rhoden, the 3-year-old son of Frankie Rhoden, and his mom, said his grandmother Samantha Robinson. She's exactly where she needs to be, she's a nice addition to the family.''

Ohio family clings to hope 3 months after 8 killed

Kenneth was gone all day for work in Columbus, most likely. They could have found reasons to drop by and check things out, get to know the dog, if he was outside. If Kenneth had security cams pointing to his drive, he might have seen them, though.

Anyone remember the pic of the atv on the railroad tracks? Caption: " Nice evening for a ride on the tracks" GW's Fakebook. Pretty sure it was dated the 21st.

I saw that from his facebook. All you could see was the handlebars and the long track running off in the distance with trees on both sides. Some think it was posted April 21st 2016 but how could that be? We know what they were getting ready to do that evening. What did they do? Drive to the crime scenes on ATVs?

CC
I need you to help me find out in the beginning of the murders I read some news report that said part of a suppresser was found a in one of the mobile homes, evidently omen of the suppresser came apart, what made me think of this is the ATF report said parts of a suppresser was found in a well, JMO
Documents filed in the murder cases of two members of the Wagner family are starting to paint a picture of the largest homicide investigation in Ohio history.

Records filed by prosecutors in the case of George "Billy" Wagner III indicate investigators on Oct. 31 searched the Peebles address of a farm the Wagner family sold before moving to Alaska and recovered an item from a well on the property.

The evidence listing says there were 21 photos from the search of the well, another seven photos of the recovered item and also an 8-page Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives report made on Nov. 7, 2018. Also listed from that search is "Information from Maglite."

636304528493863706-Peterson-Road04A.JPG

Mon., May 15, 2017: The property in the 200 block of Peterson Road in Adams County Monday, which was the site of an intensive search Friday and Saturday by the Ohio Bureau of Criminal Investigations, tied to the Rhoden massacre. The property was recently sold by Jake Wagner, the former boyfriend of Hanna Rhoden, one of the victims found killed on April 22, 2016. Wagner is the father of Sophia Wagner, whom he gained full custody of after Hanna was killed.
THE ENQUIRER/CARRIE COCHRAN
George "Billy" Wagner, his wife and two sons were all arrested less than a week later, on Nov. 13. In announcing the arrests, former Ohio Attorney General and now-Governor Mike DeWine said a particular piece of evidence, a firearm suppressor according to reports at the time, paired with all the other evidence led to the arrests.

The documents indicate investigators searched the property twice in 2017 in addition to the well search in 2018. In the first two searches, investigators filed 530 photos, a separate photo of a "burnt" VCR and an 11-page evidence inventory.

Your summer sidekick.
Don’t miss your chance for unlimited digital access to exclusive content.
99¢ per month. Save 90%.
Subscribe Now
Prosecutors say Billy Wagner, his wife Angela Wagner and two sons George Wagner IV, and Edward "Jake" Wagner methodically planned then killed members of the Rhoden family on April 22, 2016.

Central to the dispute between the two families, prosecutors say, was a custody battle for the daughter of Jake Wagner and Hanna Rhoden - Sophia Wagner.

Included in the evidence list in Billy Wagner's case is an entry named "Custody Messages (1 excel sheet with 519 entries)."

636325221170912453-Screenshot-2017-06-08-12.30.12.jpg

The Wagner family was the subject of three searches on farms in Pike and Adams counties in May 2017 tied to the Rhoden family massacre. The family photo was taken during a recent trip to Alaska. Pictured from left to right are: Bulvine; Angela Wagner, her son, George, her husband, George "Billy", her son, Edward "Jake," and his daughter, Sophia, 3. Jake Wagner is the former longtime boyfriend of Hanna Rhoden, who was killed in the April 22, 2016 killings in Pike County. The two are the parents of Sophia.
PROVIDED
Also in the list of evidence being handed to defense attorneys for Billy Wagner are cell tower records from his phone.

The document shows records for March 2016 and April 2016. Listed under those records is "Big Bear Lake (1 excel sheet)."

Previous Enquirer reporting indicatesChristopher Rhoden Sr., 40, and Christopher Rhoden Jr., 16, worked at the resort doing odd jobs or construction up until a week before they were found dead, killed "execution style" in their Pike County homes.

Also killed were Hannah Gilley, 20, Clarence "Frankie" Rhoden, 20, Dana Rhoden, 37, Gary Rhoden, 38, Hanna Rhoden, 19, and Kenneth Rhoden, 44.

More: Rhoden family massacre: Fredericka Wagner argues for access to church, workplace

In addition to shared custody of Sophia, surviving family members have said the two families shared business interests.

Other evidence listed in Billy Wagner's case includes 1,475 crime scene photos from the four scenes of the killings, several 911 calls, autopsy reports, audio and video interviews with the Wagners and four photos from Walmart and a Walmart receipt.

The evidence listed in Jake Wagner's case mirrors much of his father's with audio and video interviews, photos, 911 calls and autopsy reports. Jake Wagner was in court Thursday for a pretrial hearing.

Jake Wagner's grandmothers, Fredericka Wagner and Rita Newcomb, are facing charges they lied to the grand jury, and Newcomb is alleged to have forged custody documents. Filings in those cases alleged Fredericka Wagner lied about her son's bullet proof vest while Newcomb is alleged to have lied about the custody documents.

"I need you to help me find out in the beginning of the murders I read some news report that said part of a suppresser was found a in one of the mobile homes, evidently omen of the suppresser came apart, what made me think of this is the ATF report said parts of a suppresser was found in a well, JMO"

It was never said that any suppressor parts were found in a mobile home. This is what was said:
The documents indicate they bought special shoes at Walmart and “brass catchers,” specially designed bags that connect to a gun and collect the spent shell casings. Prosecutors say they bought ammunition, gun clips and equipment to build their own silencers to muffle the blasts.
And it was that last bit of workmanship that investigators say proved key to their undoing.
During a news conference announcing the charges Tuesday, Pike County Sheriff Charles Reader said the killers had made a mistake: They had left behind pieces of the equipment they used to build silencers. And, after 2½ years of investigation, the final break came Oct. 30: Authorities recovered a silencer. No one would say how or where, but Ohio Attorney General Mike DeWine said that final piece of evidence was taken to the lab to be processed. Those results came back Nov. 7.
Exhaustive investigation leads to break in Pike County murder case

"I need you to help me find out in the beginning of the murders I read some news report that said part of a suppresser was found a in one of the mobile homes, evidently omen of the suppresser came apart, what made me think of this is the ATF report said parts of a suppresser was found in a well, JMO"

It was never said that any suppressor parts were found in a mobile home. This is what was said:
The documents indicate they bought special shoes at Walmart and “brass catchers,” specially designed bags that connect to a gun and collect the spent shell casings. Prosecutors say they bought ammunition, gun clips and equipment to build their own silencers to muffle the blasts.
And it was that last bit of workmanship that investigators say proved key to their undoing.
During a news conference announcing the charges Tuesday, Pike County Sheriff Charles Reader said the killers had made a mistake: They had left behind pieces of the equipment they used to build silencers. And, after 2½ years of investigation, the final break came Oct. 30: Authorities recovered a silencer. No one would say how or where, but Ohio Attorney General Mike DeWine said that final piece of evidence was taken to the lab to be processed. Those results came back Nov. 7.
Exhaustive investigation leads to break in Pike County murder case
Thank you, that is the evidence the State has on the Wagners, They put the rest of the silencer in the well and the other parts was left behind at Rhodens ( Wagners Are Quilt)

Thank you, that is the evidence the State has on the Wagners, They put the rest of the silencer in the well and the other parts was left behind at Rhodens ( Wagners Are Quilt)

It does not say that any parts were left at any Rhodens properties. I quote:
"They(Wagners) had left behind pieces of the equipment they used to build silencers."

Posting this so I can shorten it up.

Thursday, August 6th:
*Status Conference & Bond Review Hearing-CONTINUED! (@ 1:30pm ET) - OH - Pike County 8 people dead: Christopher Rhoden, Sr. (40), his ex-wife, Dana Manley Rhoden (37), their three children, Clarence "Frankie" Rhoden (20), Christopher Jr. (16), Hanna Mae (19); Frankie's fiancée, Hannah Hazel Gilley (20), Christopher Rhoden Sr.'s brother, Kenneth Rhoden (44), & a cousin, Gary Rhoden (37). Hanna Rhoden's baby girl (5 days old), another baby (6 mos.) and a young child (3) were unharmed. (April 21-22, 2016, Pebbles) - for *George Washington "Billy" Wagner III (47/now 49), (Jakes’ father) indicted (11/12/18), arrested (11/13/18), charged (11/15/18) & arraigned (12/4/18) with 8 counts of aggravated murder, (plus gun specifications on each), 1 count of 1st degree conspiracy, 4 counts of 1st degree aggravated burglary, 1 count of 5th degree unlawful possession of dangerous ordnance, 3 counts of 3rd degree evidence tampering, 1 count of 5th degree forgery, 1 count of 5th degree unauthorized use of computer or telecommunications, 1 count of 4th degree interception of wire, oral or electronic communication, 1 count of 4th degree obstructing justice, 1 count of 1st degree engaging in a pattern of corrupt activity. Plead not guilty. Held without bond. DA will seek the DP.
Christopher Rhoden, Sr. (age 40): Nine shots (face, torso, extremities). He suffered was an apparent defensive wound to his right forearm that shattered bone. Also, at least one bullet went through a door before hitting him.
Dana Rhoden (age 37): Five (head). Methodically shot four times around the right side of her head & a fifth time under her chin.
Hannah Gilley (age 20): Five (head). Among the five bullet wounds to Gilley was one to her left eye.
Christopher Rhoden, Jr. (age 16): Four (head). With 2 of the shots in the top of his head.
Clarence “Frankie” Rhoden (age 20): Three (head). Two were “contact wounds” as indicated by soot from the gun on his skull.
Gary Rhoden (age 37): Three “contact” wounds (head). Shot twice in the head & once in the face. With one of the shots, the reports indicate the gun was pressed against the side of his head, leaving a "muzzle stain."
Hanna Mae Rhoden (19): Two (head). With 2 of the shots in the top of his head.
Kenneth Rhoden (age 44): One shot (thru right eye).
All eight victims were shot with the gun barrel touching their skin or very, very close to it – just centimeters or inches away, the coroner determined.

Court hearings from 12/4/18 thru 6/15/20 reference post #287 here:
OH Pike Co., 8 in Rhoden Family Murdered Over Custody Issue, 4 Members Wagner Family Arrested #55

6/19/20: Motion to withdraw appearance of counsel filed-Attorney: Carol Hamilton O’Brien. Pretrial hearing on 6/22/20.
6/22/20 Update: Judge Deering doing intro. Prosecution will be adding a special prosecutor. Junk is explaining the change w/Yost’s office pulling out of the trial, leaving it to Pike County prosecutor. Shouldn’t change anything or create a delay. Still have access to special prosecutor & BCI. Andy Wilson is joining the prosecution team now that the AG has withdrawn-granted motion. Defense bond motion for GW3 will be on Aug. 6 at 1:30pm, referring to as status conference as well. Defense says they may ask for a delay-they’re talking about calling witnesses. Canepa asking until end of August to complete studying what is the shared drive for discovery. Government putting them on notice for 404B evidence. Sept. 8 scheduled for evidentiary hearing. Prosecution team now comprised of Pike Co. prosecutor Rob Jun, Angie Canepa & Andy Wilson. Motion of the State of Ohio in a Capital case & pursuant to statute to hold the defendant without bail filed by Robert Junk. 6/24/20: Entry appointing Special Prosecutor, D. Andrew Wilson to assist the Pike County prosecutor in the prosecution of all matters involving & arising out of this case.
7/29/20 Update: Defendant's motion to continue bond motion hearing & status conference filed. 8/3/20 Update: Entry granting defendant's motion to continue bond motion hearing & status conference such hearing be rescheduled on a date to be determined upon the completion of discovery. NO DATE YET for status hearing continuance as of 8/6.
*Angela Jo Wagner (48/now 49) – Pretrial hearing on 6/24/20.
*Edward Jake Wagner (26/now 27) – Pretrial hearing on 9/21/20.
*George Washington Wagner IV (27/now 28) – Bond hearing on 8/31/20.
*Rita Jo Newcomb (65/now 66) – Motion hearing on 12/2/19 entered a plea of guilty. Will testify at the trials. No update as of 8/6/20.
*Fredericka Carol Wagner (76) – 6/26/19: Charges were dismissed without prejudice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member