OH Pike Co., 8 in Rhoden Family Murdered Over Custody Issue, 4 Members Wagner Family Arrested #56

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
In a response to Wagner’s attorneys, prosecutors wrote that a search warrant executed on one of the Wagner’s property revealed the existence of .22 caliber shell casings that matched .22 caliber shell casings found at two crime scenes on Union Hill Road.

The filing notes the shell casings found at the Wagner property and at the crime scenes came from Remington rimfire .22 caliber ammunition and both sets of shell casings had matching “firing pin impressions.”

Prosecutors said shoe impressions found in dried blood at the two Union Hill Road crime scenes matched shoe prints from a size 10.5 and 11 Walmart Athletic Works shoe with velcro straps.

Prosecutors said BCI agents found a receipt from the Walmart in Waverly dated April 7, 2016, during a search of the Wagner property. April 7, 2016, was 15 days before the murders. Agents obtained surveillance photos from the purchase of the Athletic Works shoes from Walmart stores that included photos of Angela Wagner buying the shoes on April 7, 2016, at the same time noted on the receipt.

Investigators combed through 1,100 tips, but the final piece of evidence that led to the indictments of the Wagner family and their arrests on Halloween were due to the finding of the gun silencer, according to then-Ohio Attorney General Mike DeWine.

New facts show that the homemade gun silencer that prosecutors found was at the bottom of a well on property the Wagner’s used to own, according to court documents.

Evidence includes recordings of 13 audio and video interviews,
3D scans from each scene, as well as diagrams showing ballistic, biological and other evidence at the scenes, more than 100 aerial photos; autopsy reports and X-rays, photos of a victim's child taken at the hospital, photos from a property searched by investigators, photo of burnt VCR, 21 photos from the search of the well, another seven photos of the recovered item with an 8-page ATF firearm report, information from Maglite which can be used in gun silencers; a photo of George Wagner's tattoo; a gun list; 1,475 crime scene photos, custody messages (1 excel sheet with 519 entries), 1 excel sheet from Big Bear Lake, electronic communications and wire searches, Boondock Saints video clip, Facebook screenshots; photos from other searches performed by investigators; Walmart surveillance photos and receipts, Jackson Days Inn trash pull, DNA and lab reports, ballistic reports, cell phone records, cell tower records, forged custody documents, the "Daily" report, shell casings found at the victim's homes and outside the Wagner's homes, shoe print expert's testimony, handwriting expert's testimony, witness statements, recordings from a confidential reliable source, photos and inventory from Flying Farms search, photos and inventory from Ford Excrusion search, photos and inventory and documents recovered from US 41 trailer searchs including a Black Ram 2500 search and a Gray Dodge Ram search. No alibi.

And yes, the Wagners are people not only very familiar with the family and the residences but Jake himself lived in one of the residences, had access to keys and knew the easiest entry points into the homes, and the dogs knew him well in my opinion.

Just filed court documents reveal details about evidence in Rhoden case

Pike County murders: Movie’s use of gun silencer mirrors that of slain family, evidence shows

Pike County massacre evidence list shows how investigators closed in on suspects

https://www.scribd.com/document/402565469/Angela-Wagner

https://www.scribd.com/document/396099735/Discovery

Dropbox - jake discovery.pdf - Simplify your life

Dropbox - DMS_dkt_File.pdf - Simplify your life
CC
The 4th episode on IHart broadcasts about the Rhodens/ Gilley family is exactly what you’re talking about on this post, it sounds like their referral about Billy, JMO

Are the Wagner’s being tried separately or together? TIA
Ohio Death Penalty cases must have their own separate trials so they are being tried separately. Expect 4 trials unless some of them take pleas.

Rule 14 - Relief From Prejudicial Joinder, Ohio Crim. R. 14 | Casetext Search + Citator

When two or more persons are jointly indicted for a capital offense, each of such persons shall be tried separately, unless the court orders the defendants to be tried jointly, upon application by the prosecuting attorney or one or more of the defendants, and for good cause shown.

Ohio. Crim. R. 14

Rule 14 - Relief From Prejudicial Joinder, Ohio Crim. R. 14

Ohio Death Penalty cases must have their own separate trials so they are being tried separately. Expect 4 trials unless some of them take pleas.

Rule 14 - Relief From Prejudicial Joinder, Ohio Crim. R. 14 | Casetext Search + Citator

When two or more persons are jointly indicted for a capital offense, each of such persons shall be tried separately, unless the court orders the defendants to be tried jointly, upon application by the prosecuting attorney or one or more of the defendants, and for good cause shown.

Ohio. Crim. R. 14

From the latter half of your quote, there can be exceptions in some cases. Some possible options were discussed in the news media after the Wagner's were arrested.

It's an unusual situation with for family members standing trial in death penalty cases for the same crimes.

Plea agreements will save time, but it all four decide to go to trial, be prepared to see some creative changes. just a possibility, JMO

From the latter half of your quote, there can be exceptions in some cases. Some possible options were discussed in the news media after the Wagner's were arrested.

It's an unusual situation with for family members standing trial in death penalty cases for the same crimes.

Plea agreements will save time, but it all four decide to go to trial, be prepared to see some creative changes. just a possibility, JMO
To me it doesn't sound like any Wagner's will be tried together and they are not allowed to talk or collaborate together that's why they are kept apart. Keeping them apart is key to prosecuting them. Putting them together could possibly give rise to appeals. This is how it all looks to me.

In October 2019 Junk said:

Junk said prosecutors will sort of tag team the actual trials. He stated he personally will sit in on probably no more than two of the trials, one reason being he has other trials besides the Wagner cases to which he needs to attend.

“You’re probably going to see a couple of different trial teams,” Junk said.

Newcomb’s trial moving forward: Junk - Portsmouth Daily Times

Last edited:
Unfortunately from all I have read I dont think the state has a very strong case, I think they have some circumstantial evidence but little to no solid forensic evidence. in my opinion a good defence team has much to argue for their aquittal, the drugs will play a huge part in the defence case. I am on the fence as to whether I think it was the people charged who did it. One thing I am sure of is that the murders were committed by people very familiar with the family and the residences.
I have to respectfully disagree that the evidence is all circumstantial because at this point we do not know all evidence the prosecution has and won't until the trials, unlike the defense the State is not attempting to sway a jury pool. Prosecution rarely attempt to try their case in the general publics opinion it is to their benefit to present evidence during the proceedings. We only a few snips of evidence that has been released due to on-going court proceedings.

Ohio. Crim. R. 14

Thank You

In a response to Wagner’s attorneys, prosecutors wrote that a search warrant executed on one of the Wagner’s property revealed the existence of .22 caliber shell casings that matched .22 caliber shell casings found at two crime scenes on Union Hill Road.

The filing notes the shell casings found at the Wagner property and at the crime scenes came from Remington rimfire .22 caliber ammunition and both sets of shell casings had matching “firing pin impressions.”

Prosecutors said shoe impressions found in dried blood at the two Union Hill Road crime scenes matched shoe prints from a size 10.5 and 11 Walmart Athletic Works shoe with velcro straps.

Prosecutors said BCI agents found a receipt from the Walmart in Waverly dated April 7, 2016, during a search of the Wagner property. April 7, 2016, was 15 days before the murders. Agents obtained surveillance photos from the purchase of the Athletic Works shoes from Walmart stores that included photos of Angela Wagner buying the shoes on April 7, 2016, at the same time noted on the receipt.

Investigators combed through 1,100 tips, but the final piece of evidence that led to the indictments of the Wagner family and their arrests on Halloween were due to the finding of the gun silencer, according to then-Ohio Attorney General Mike DeWine.

New facts show that the homemade gun silencer that prosecutors found was at the bottom of a well on property the Wagner’s used to own, according to court documents.

Evidence includes recordings of 13 audio and video interviews,
3D scans from each scene, as well as diagrams showing ballistic, biological and other evidence at the scenes, more than 100 aerial photos; autopsy reports and X-rays, photos of a victim's child taken at the hospital, photos from a property searched by investigators, photo of burnt VCR, 21 photos from the search of the well, another seven photos of the recovered item with an 8-page ATF firearm report, information from Maglite which can be used in gun silencers; a photo of George Wagner's tattoo; a gun list; 1,475 crime scene photos, custody messages (1 excel sheet with 519 entries), 1 excel sheet from Big Bear Lake, electronic communications and wire searches, Boondock Saints video clip, Facebook screenshots; photos from other searches performed by investigators; Walmart surveillance photos and receipts, Jackson Days Inn trash pull, DNA and lab reports, ballistic reports, cell phone records, cell tower records, forged custody documents, the "Daily" report, shell casings found at the victim's homes and outside the Wagner's homes, shoe print expert's testimony, handwriting expert's testimony, witness statements, recordings from a confidential reliable source, photos and inventory from Flying Farms search, photos and inventory from Ford Excrusion search, photos and inventory and documents recovered from US 41 trailer searchs including a Black Ram 2500 search and a Gray Dodge Ram search. No alibi.

And yes, the Wagners are people not only very familiar with the family and the residences but Jake himself lived in one of the residences, had access to keys and knew the easiest entry points into the homes, and the dogs knew him well in my opinion.

Just filed court documents reveal details about evidence in Rhoden case

Pike County murders: Movie’s use of gun silencer mirrors that of slain family, evidence shows

Pike County massacre evidence list shows how investigators closed in on suspects

https://www.scribd.com/document/402565469/Angela-Wagner

https://www.scribd.com/document/396099735/Discovery

Dropbox - jake discovery.pdf - Simplify your life

Dropbox - DMS_dkt_File.pdf - Simplify your life

You go girl!! Nothing better than posts with multiple links to back it up. Thanks for your thoroughness. :cool:

You go girl!! Nothing better than posts with multiple links to back it up. Thanks for your thoroughness. :cool:
Yup!

Some people are of the opinion that the Prosecution has a weak case and I like to post information that shows that the Prosecution has a strong case X's 4.

In my opinion there appears to be more than circumstantial evidence. There appears to be some ballistics and shoe print and silencer evidence that could be of the magnitude of being direct evidence, could be, I do not know of course. But we are learning that there is an incredible amount of evidence even though a gag order is in place.

The defense has circumvented the gag order and gotten things out to the public by filing the bond motion that they know won't be successful I think.

They seem to want the public to think Billy has an unremarkable criminal record, is a model inmate following all the rules, was best friends with Chris, no witnesses saw him commit the crimes, no evidence ties him directly to the crimes, and there are other suspects.

Then why cancel - postpone - his bond hearing if all this is true? I will make an assumption.
The Prosecution's argument against the bond motion - that I think will include that he is guilty and a danger to society - is strong and difficult to argue against ... Opinion only......

Last edited:
Yup!

Some people are of the opinion that the Prosecution has a weak case and I like to post information that shows that the Prosecution has a strong case X's 4.

In my opinion there appears to be more than circumstantial evidence. There appears to be some ballistics and shoe print and silencer evidence that could be of the magnitude of being direct evidence, could be, I do not know of course. But we are learning that there is an incredible amount of evidence even though a gag order is in place.

The defense has circumvented the gag order and gotten things out to the public by filing the bond motion that they know won't be successful I think.

They seem to want the public to think Billy has an unremarkable criminal record, is a model inmate following all the rules, was best friends with Chris, no witnesses saw him commit the crimes, no evidence ties him directly to the crimes, and there are other suspects.

Then why cancel - postpone - his bond hearing if all this is true? I will make an assumption.
The Prosecution's argument against the bond motion - that I think will include that he is guilty and a danger to society - is strong and difficult to argue against ... Opinion only......

That is their right to post their opinion though. Just try to imagine a world where everyone agrees.... BORING. I for one like to read differing views as long as there is no victim bashing. I was glad to see you respond with the rebuttal/ :p

Circular arguments solve nothing IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member