OH - Pike Co, 8 in Rhoden Family Murdered Over Custody Issue, 4 Members Wagner Family Arrested #70

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
That is a right we ALL are afforded. Does it suck? YEP, I think so, unless there is a reason to believe a witness could be in imminent danger from said testimony.

• Jurors; Witnesses. The photographing, filming, videotaping, televising or recording of any juror shall not be permitted. The trial judge shall inform victims and witnesses of their right to object to being photographed, filmed, videotaped, televised or recorded and shall prohibit the photographing, filming, videotaping, televising or recording of any victim or witness who does object.

I would love to go. Don't see it happening though. Take good notes for us CA. Guess I will wait for the full transcript and buy it. Wonder if the mods would let me post it?

On a side note. I wonder why Ohio has a law like this? I have never heard of any other state having this law. Trials are supposed to be public with public access.

Then again I wonder if the judge knows there are devices out there that can record up to 12 hours on a flash drive without recharging that can fit in an ink pen or eyeglasses? Matter of fact there are watches, bracelets, rings, hair clips.... and the list goes on. lol Spy stuff. Does he really think none of this is going to get out?

From day one LE and the state of Ohio have had this case locked down so tight there has never been any leaks from anyone.

People from out of state have to wonder why??????

JMO

And one more.

Last edited:
the transcript of the trial will only be available once the trial is over, and then it is very expensive to buy a copy of a full trial transcript, the court reporter will not provide transcripts of a witness's testimony each day, it takes weeks if not months for a full trial transcript to be ready after trial is finished,

and if a witness chooses to not be recorded and Judge Deering allows media to report what was testified to, they won't be able to report everything that was said, no phones or laptops are allowed in court so journalists will have to make notes with pen and paper, they will then only have a certain amount of space in newspaper or airtime to do a report to say what went on in court that day, I have watched many trials and not being able to hear (not so bothered by witnesses not being seen) from some of the most important witnesses in my opinion means that for me I won't get the full story,

and I am just a trial watcher, for family members who are victims of the Wagners who have had many family members murdered they too are denied the full story, they may be only able to watch the trial and not being able to see or hear AW or JW testify to what they did may not feel fair, if it were my family who was killed and I couldn't be there in person I would hope that at least I could watch it on TV or a laptop as the final thing I could do for my loved ones would be to bear witness to the horrors of the crimes and to watch justice (whatever justice means for each person) happening and to see the perpetrators pay for their crimes
Interesting. Just now reading this. I don’t understand the reason for this decision.

Last edited:
That is a right we ALL are afforded. Does it suck? YEP, I think so, unless there is a reason to believe a witness could be in imminent danger from said testimony.

• Jurors; Witnesses. The photographing, filming, videotaping, televising or recording of any juror shall not be permitted. The trial judge shall inform victims and witnesses of their right to object to being photographed, filmed, videotaped, televised or recorded and shall prohibit the photographing, filming, videotaping, televising or recording of any victim or witness who does object.

Of course. It’s Ohio.

Latest docket update!

09/08/2022 STATE'S RESPONSE TO PETITIONERS, CINCINNATI ENQUIRER, SINCLAIR BROADCASTING, WLW-TV, WCPO TV, WXIX TV, COURT TV, AND CRIME TV AND THE SCIOTO VALLEY GUARDIAN MOTION FOR AN ORDER ALLOWING PETITIONERS TO RECORD WITNESSES.

09/08/2022 DEFENDANT'S MEMORANDUM IN OPPOSITION TO PETITIONER'S MOTION FILED

09/08/2022 SUPPLEMENTAL ENTRY UPON DEFENDANTS MOTION NO. 98 FILED

09/08/2022 SUPPLEMENTAL MEMORANDUM IN SUPPORT OF MOTION FOR MEDIA ACCESS FILED W/AFFIDAVIT OF GRACE WONG (FAX)

09/08/2022 DEFENDANT'S NOTICE OF SUPPLEMENTAL RECIPROCAL DISCOVERY FILED (FAX)

09/09/2022 RETURN FROM FOREIGN SHERIFF (ROSS)-SUBPOENA SERVED BY WORK SERVICE ON JUSTIN WARING ON 9-6-2022

09/09/2022 JOURNAL ENTRY--The Court is informed that on September 2, 2022, at approximately 3:50 p.m. a motion entitled "MOTION FOR MEDIA ACCESS" was filed on behalf of The Cincinnati Enquirer, Sinclair Broadcasting, WLW-TV, WCPO, WXIX, The Scioto Valley Guardian, Court TV, and Law and Crime TV ("movants"), asking the Court "for an order permitting the recording of the testimony of Jake and Angela Wagner, for an order permitting the audio recording of any witness who opts out of being video recorded and for the placement of a second camera to record the lawyers interrogating witnesses." The movants further filed a "MEMORANDUM IN SUPPORT" of their motion.
By Journal Entry filed on September 6, 2022, the Court issued a Journal Entry ordering that the State of Ohio and the Defendant serve and file a response to the movants' "MOTION FOR MEDIA ACCESS" on or before Thursday, September 8, 2022. The Court finds that on September 8, 2022, both the State of Ohio and the Defendant, through counsel, filed their responses to the movants' MOTION FOR MEDIA ACCESS. The Court further finds that, although not ordered to do so, the movants also filed a "SUPPLEMENTAL MEMORANDUM IN SUPPORT OF MOTION FOR MEDIA ACCESS" on September 8, 2022.
The Court further finds that both the State of Ohio and the Defendant request that the movants' motion be denied.
Concerning the first and second parts of the movants' argument - that the Court should permit the audio recording of witnesses who "opt out" of being video recorded or photographed and, specifically, that the Court should permit the testimony of Jake and Angela Wager to be recorded and broadcast [presumably even if they object], due to "their involvement in the criminal activities," the Court finds that the language of Sup.R. 12(C) is clear that the Court may not permit the filming, videoing, recording, or taking of photographs of any victim or witness who objects. If one feels that the language of the rule, standing alone, is unclear, the commentary to the rule clarifies it in providing as follows: "The filming, videotaping, recording, or taking of photographs of victims or witnesses who object shall not be permitted." In further clarification, the Ohio Supreme Court has stated that "t seems clear that a defendant is a "witness" when he is testifying," thus indicating that the rule prohibiting filming, videotaping, recording, or taking of photographs of witnesses who object applies also to any defendants who testify, but only at the time of giving such testimony.
Therefore, the request of the movants to record the testimony of Edward Jacob ("Jake") Wagner and Angela Jo Wagner shall be subject to the right of each such prospective witness's to object to being filmed, videotaped, recorded or photographed. To the extent that the movants are questing that the Court order that one or more of the movants be permitted to film, videotape, record or photograph the testimony of any victim or witness, including Edward Jacob ("Jake") Wagner and Angela Jo Wagner, even if objected to by the witness, the movants' request is not well taken.
Subject to the limitations set forth in Sup.R. 12, including Sup.R. 12(C), however, the Court has, and intends to continue to permit the broadcasting or recording by electronic means and the taking of photographs in the trial proceedings in this action.
Concerning part three of the movants' motion - the request to mount a second camera above and behind the witness stand - the Court finds that the positioning of the video camera already approved by the Court provides a view of those seated at each of the counsel tables, the podium, the witness chair, the judge's bench, and courtroom monitors. It seems to the Court that such coverage should be sufficient to satisfy public access to the trial. From the standpoint of the Court, it is also important that the location of the camera not be a distraction to the members of the jury. The Court finds that the location already approved by the Court will lessen any risk of distracting the attention of the jurors as well as rendering inadvertent videoing of the members of the jury virtually impossible. The Court concludes that by its orders the Court has protected all rights involved under the First and Sixth Amendments to the constitution.
As noted in the response of the Defendant, and as both parties and their respective counsel are aware, the Court has approved media access to all pre-trial hearings and has made additional provisions for media access to the trial, itself. In addition to the positioning of a video camera and two microphones in the courtroom, the Court has reserved space in the courtroom for media personnel. This is not a case in which the court has imposed a "gag order" like the one condemned in State ex rel. Toledo Blade Company v. Henry County Court of Common Pleas, et al, 125 Ohio St.3d 149 (2010), 2010-Ohio-1533, 926 N.E.2d 634; nor is this a case in which the proceedings have been closed to the media.
The Court concludes that the requests contained in the movants' MOTION FOR MEDIA ACCESS are not well taken. It is therefore ORDERED that the movants' motion be, and hereby is, overruled and denied. It is the Court's intention to continue to provide access to the media, with the expanded access to the trial as previously approved.

link: https://cpcourt.pikecounty.oh.gov/e...VoU0-mBismGiUp0Qp*4cqgp8uAEqcwKWSGeo6q-bjZBHw

does not say "what" time the trial starts - I shall leave it at 9am I have in my notes - unless I hear anything different.

Im definitely disappointed in not seeing JW and AW being exposed on the stand. I dont get any of this. What's the difference between sitting in the courtroom vs sitting and watching from home? Either way the information gets out. It neither protects nor endangers a witness by being live. G4 knows and if G4 wants a pound of flesh he wiĺl get it regardless of a video link. Imo

What's the protocol for getting a seat at the trial? How many people will be allowed inside the courtroom? It looks quite small, or was that for the hearings only? Will the state enforce social distancing? I should rent a place at mineral springs and attend but i dont wanna camp out all night either. It is annoying to no end!!! Jmo

Forgive my fat finger typos. I should take an ambien and then let loose. Jc

What's the protocol for getting a seat at the trial? How many people will be allowed inside the courtroom? It looks quite small, or was that for the hearings only? Will the state enforce social distancing? I should rent a place at mineral springs and attend but i dont wanna camp out all night either. It is annoying to no end!!! Jmo

I enjoy those ambien induced posts. :)

Photo of courtroom. They have added some chairs.
How many people can sit in the gallery? I would guess about 100. Maybe 125 if they can squeeze in on the benches. Would that include media people? Family alone can fill those seats. i don’t see how this can work out.
Witnesses must not be in courtroom until called to testify, so where will they be?
Are there many more room is the building that can accommodate extra persons of any definition - witness, media, support people, technical support, security, etc.
I don’t see it happening easily.
Anyone know how Angela C. Is doing?
All better?

Im definitely disappointed in not seeing JW and AW being exposed on the stand. I dont get any of this. What's the difference between sitting in the courtroom vs sitting and watching from home? Either way the information gets out. It neither protects nor endangers a witness by being live. G4 knows and if G4 wants a pound of flesh he wiĺl get it regardless of a video link. Imo
There has to be a major concern to safety to the witness from far more reach than Piketon Ohio, big time criminal, JMO

From Link:
"......The judge has also barred cell phones and laptops from the courtroom and issued an order saying no one may come or go from the room while court is in session. As a result, media is essentially barred from real-time reporting of the trial......."
My opinion: Sad to see the media's hands-tied. I think this will greatly affect fairness and accuracy of reporting.

jw and aw were not made to allocute. and now this. what a disgrace. people who have pled guilty to charges like these and are in jail for 30 plus years have no expectation of privacy. certainly does not apply when they go home to prison.
i hate to go there, but i strongly feel this is politically motivated someone is tuning deering up for damage control. a WITNESS should be afforded this privacy, but not a CO-CONSPIRATOR.
allocution is generally a focal point when generous plea bargains are struck. these animals killed 8 people and are allowed to plead guilty under cloak of secrecy. i can see why they thought they could get away with murdering the rhodens after the white glove service they've received from deering so far. what a joke he is. unreal.
this is crafted to keep the national media exposure to a minimum even though they had no problem dragging the victims through the mud. angela never should have got a deal they had a strong case against her for all 8 murders whether she was there or not. deering has been led around by his nose the entire time. even if angela was given a deal she should still have had to plead guilty to the 8 murders. dismissing any of the charges after a promise by dewine of no deals has set the tone for this entire debacle.
hopefully these wagners get dealt the hand they deserve in prison, the same one they afforded the rhodens. because the justice system wont hold them accountable in any real way. 23 hour lock down is what they deserve while they wait for the date with their needle. instead theyll lounge around prison with internet, texting, smartphones, fan mail, commisary deposits, drugs tv etc.....wow

My husband asked me if I was going to attend. He assumed I would. I told him no, the courtroom is too small and space should be for the survivors' family. I think we'll still see a lot of it on tv.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tawnitrevino