OH - Pike Co - 8 in Rhoden Family Murdered Over Custody Issue - 4 Members Wagner Family Arrested #80

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes. So has everyone in his family. It's what makes this crime and trials unique and difficult. They were a family of habitual criminals. Lying is something they're all good at, its like second nature to them because its women into their daily lives and personalities. There isn't an honest one in the bunch, which makes it difficult to tell when they're lying or telling the truth.
this situation is why conspiracy law exists. holding each member of a conspiracy complicit for only their acts like a check list is not conducive to justice or law and order. instead with a conspiracy law all that matters is is their a conspiracy? who is a part of it? and one overt act a member contributed to the conspiracy in order to gain "membership". once this hurdle is passed individuaL acts no longer matter under the law, only the illegal acts accomplished by conspiracy as a whole. all this nonsense with g4 and his part wgere ge was standing like its a choreography rehersal is just what defense lawyers do. they parse words, actions and micromanage to distract the juery from noticing his client is guilty. it offers a buffer or dilution to the horror of this crime. because he cant talk about what g4 did in anyway that doesnt expose him for the devil he is. this case will just comes down to jury nullification- pr guilty on all counts. because the law is clear hes in it for 8 murders end of story.

This is what I know we have for sure:

From Angenette tweet yesterday

“Jake also said his mother and brother tried to talk him out of the murders and that his mother lied to cover for him. He said he also told prosecutors in his proffer that George went along to protect him”

Tweet Copy & pasted to this thread, page 26, #514

I'd be very curious to hear the LE recorded jail house conversations between Angie, Rita, Granny and indirectly Jake.

JMO

I was in the courtroom when AC asked JW about the Boondocks Clip. His answer was he didnt remember the clip that she was referring to. She showed the clip from a google search that the prosecutors googled. He didnt laugh. In fact he said that the clip that they showed wasn’t the exact clip he watched. He laughed after the state asked him if he could say what guns where in the clip. He smiled and said yes gold plated 1911s.. but he only smiled because he knew the answer. Other times in his testimony he actually asked the state if his answer was right.
Thank you for sharing your experience.

this situation is why conspiracy law exists. holding each member of a conspiracy complicit for only their acts like a check list is not conducive to justice or law and order. instead with a conspiracy law all that matters is is their a conspiracy? who is a part of it? and one overt act a member contributed to the conspiracy in order to gain "membership". once this hurdle is passed individuaL acts no longer matter under the law, only the illegal acts accomplished by conspiracy as a whole. all this nonsense with g4 and his part wgere ge was standing like its a choreography rehersal is just what defense lawyers do. they parse words, actions and micromanage to distract the juery from noticing his client is guilty. it offers a buffer or dilution to the horror of this crime. because he cant talk about what g4 did in anyway that doesnt expose him for the devil he is. this case will just comes down to jury nullification- pr guilty on all counts. because the law is clear hes in it for 8 murders end of story.
100%. I'm on here b/c I'm wanting to see this through to the end. I have questions I'd like to have answers to (yes the dogs barked, hallelujah, that's over, unless he lied about that but in almost all lies there are grains of truth). If he goes down they all go down. His Mom helped, his Dad helped, and I believe, in my soul, that GW4 did, at the very least give a murder truck to his cousin. Jail them all. I'll forever be peeved over AW's deal but I didn't make it, that's on them.

I was in the courtroom when AC asked JW about the Boondocks Clip. His answer was he didnt remember the clip that she was referring to. She showed the clip from a google search that the prosecutors googled. He didnt laugh. In fact he said that the clip that they showed wasn’t the exact clip he watched. He laughed after the state asked him if he could say what guns where in the clip. He smiled and said yes gold plated 1911s.. but he only smiled because he knew the answer. Other times in his testimony he actually asked the state if his answer was right.

Thank you for sharing! What kind of testimony would he ask the state if his answer was right? Was he trying to remember what he told them in his proffer?

Thank you for sharing! What kind of testimony would he ask the state if his answer was right? Was he trying to remember what he told them in his proffer?
No it wasn’t like that. He just didn’t know how to say the right vocabulary. Like when the state asked him what position George was in under the truck with the rifle it took him a little bit to come up with the word prone and then asked them if that was the right word. During his answers he wouldn’t know how to say things then when he said what he said he would ask if that was the right word.

I was in there as well. I laugh when I read some tweets and they are no where close to what was actually said. That's like the burping, I seen it as more of him swallowing hard and trying to avoid coughing. BUT, I could be wrong and they could be right. I can't believe so many are not wearing masks. :confused:

OP had asked about who wore what shoe sizes:

From link below: Jake indicated that he wore the size 10 and a half that night and that george wore the size 11 that night
um and you will see that that size 11 that i told you that was in scene 3 at dana's place is almost exactly where he
says that george was stationed to make sure that little chris didn't come out of his room

Here is AC's recount of the proffer. I didn't do a complete transcript b/c it's quite long and detailed, but interesting to look back on.

From link below:
in april of 2021 Jake came forward as well, he will be here to testify for you
and he will tell you, i guess i should back up before i go into what he told us;

A proffer means you're giving us a statement and telling us what happened and in exchange we give you something in
return. The state gives you something, what we agreed to give him was to
dismiss the death spec, the death penalty against him, right, you will learn that he pled to all of
the counts in the indictment, all of the specifications and he received eight or he will receive
under that agreement eight life without parole sentences consecutive to one another which just
means they're served one after another which is fiction, you know, legal fiction at that point.
But in addition to uh hundreds of years with 78 years being mandatory firearm
specifications that he has to serve before he even ever gets to his life without parole
I think at one point the judge said to him you understand that you will die in prison and he said, yes.

From Link:
But also that it did not, the idea to kill these people, did not initiate with him.
He was definitely a willing participant. He (JW) will tell you that his dad was the
first to to broach the subject with him and under the idea that HMR was dating people that they didn't approve of
and that she was letting sofia be around people that were not good people.

Jake said no i'm not gonna do that when when his dad first brought the idea to him however
on another occasion, you know, I jake will tell you that he thought about it
and although he did not believe anything had happened to sophia at the time of the homicides,
he indicated to us that why would you wait for something to happen because you can't undo that
so based on that and encouraged by his father and encouraged by his mother
they set out on a plan to kill hannah may...(more at link)

Jake's Proffer in Prosecution's Opening Statements
WCPO9 YouTube - Pike County

I was in there as well. I laugh when I read some tweets and they are no where close to what was actually said. That's like the burping, I seen it as more of him swallowing hard and trying to avoid coughing. BUT, I could be wrong and they could be right. I can't believe so many are not wearing masks. :confused:
Thank you, for sharing your observation. Two people in the same room and two different takes. This is why I really wanted televised testimony. Few people see and hear the exact same thing.

I will shorten this up a bit since I have not posted it since 2021.

Friday, October 28th:
*Hearing (for Jake’s attorney subpoenaed to appear) (@ 9am ET) - OH - Pike County 8 people dead: Christopher Rhoden, Sr. (40), his ex-wife, Dana Manley Rhoden (37), their three children, Clarence "Frankie" Rhoden (20), Christopher Jr. (16), Hanna Mae (19); Frankie's fiancée, Hannah Hazel Gilley (20), Christopher Rhoden Sr.'s brother, Kenneth Rhoden (44), & a cousin, Gary Rhoden (38). Hanna Rhoden's baby girl (5 days old), another baby (6 mos.) and a young child (3) were unharmed. (April 21-22, 2016, Pebbles) for *Edward Jacob "Jake" Wagner (26/now 29) (former boyfriend of Hanna) indicted (11/12/18), arrested (11/13/18), charged (11/15/18) & arraigned (11/27/18) with 8 counts aggravated murder, (plus gun specifications on each), 1 count of 1st degree conspiracy, 4 counts of 1st degree aggravated burglary, 1 count of 5th degree unlawful possession of dangerous ordnance, 3 counts of 3rd degree evidence tampering, 1 count of 5th degree forgery, 1 count of 5th degree unauthorized use of computer or telecommunications, 1 count of 4th degree interception of wire, oral or electronic communication, 1 count of 5th degree obstructing justice, 1 count of 1st degree engaging in a pattern of corrupt activity & 1 count of 4th degree unlawful sexual conduct with a minor. (He’s accused of engaging in sexual contact with Hanna Rhoden when she was 15 & he was 20). Plead not guilty. Held without bond. DA will seek the DP.
Trial was set to begin on 8/30/21. Plead guilty (4/22/21) to all charges.
Number of shots fired at each victim (Det. Scheiderer: We know the three calibers of firearms that were used to commit these murders. a 22 caliber long rifle, a 40 caliber, and a 30 caliber) & Court hearings from 11/27/18 thru 4/12/21 reference post #914 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...bers-wagner-family-arrested-60.565526/page-46

4/22/21 Update: Status conference hearing on 4/22/21. And motions hearing on 5/12/21 will last all day.
4/22/21 Update: Jake: Defendant intends to withdraw his not guilty plea. Pleads guilty to first 8 counts of indictment. 20 or 30 to life or LWOP options. Agrees to first three specifications on first 8 counts. Enters pleas of not guilty to other specifications. Guilty to Count 9 Conspiracy 3, 10 years subject to plus monetary fine. Pleas guilty to 10, 11, 12 & 13. Aggravated burglary offenses. Enters plea of guilty to dangerous ordinance. Punishable 6 to 12 months. Tampering with evidence 3rd degree felonies. Canepa will dismiss specifications on Count 14. Counts 15 & 17 identical. Count 18 Forgery - pleads guilty felony 5th degree 6 to 12 months. He's pleading guilty to 19, 20 & 21. Also firearms specifications, will enter guilty. Count 23 - sex with a minor 4th degree felony. 6 to 18 months punishment. Will enter plea of guilty to that offense too. Sentences can run concurrent, also possible for LWOP for all. AC talking about other possible sentences. 144 yrs & 199 months or 162 years. Firearms specification sentences mandatory. $370K total restitution/fines. Move to dismiss specifications - death penalty specifications in counts 1 through 8. State agrees to dismiss if Jake agrees to testify truthfully against the other defendants. Judge questioning if Jake understands the rights he will be waiving by agreeing to plea deal. Asking if he's under influence of anything, if he's ever been declared incompetent, he says no. He plead guilty to pretty much ALL of the charges against him. That means everything alleged in the indictments is true. Pike County Common Pleas Court Judge Randy Deering asked him if he understands that he'll spend the rest of his life in prison and re replied that he did. The prosecution will withdraw the death penalty. As part of the plea, the state is recommending 8 consecutive life sentences without the possibility of parole for the murders. There's also another 160 years on other charges & gun specifications. As part of Jake's plea agreement, they (George, Billy & Angela) will no longer face the death penalty as long as Jake testifies against them. Jake says he is deeply sorry. Admitted to killing 5 of the 8 victims & admits they were all in on it the night of the murders. He says its’ all accurate. Court will accept his plea of guilty to the 23 counts & each of the firearms specifications. Jake's statements gave them the weapons used (obtained as evidence) & info on vehicles used for the crime, including one used only the night of the murders.
From Canepa's Statement of Facts see post #1081 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...bers-wagner-family-arrested-60.565526/page-55

4/22/21: Plea of guilty filed, copies filed delivered to Counsel & defendant. 4/26/21: Request for court-paid expert expenses filed. 4/28/21: State's supplemental discovery filed. 4/29/21: Motion, entry & Certification for appointed special prosecutor fees filed. 9/10/21: Appointment of Alice Malott as assistant court reporter from a term of 1 year commencing on 9/10/21 & ending 9/9/22 for the purposes of recording & transcribing the record as directed by the Court. 9/13/21: Order to seal order & defendant's agreement filed. 10/21/21: Request & judgment entry for court-paid experts and/or expenses filed. 11/18/21: Motion, entry & certification for appointed special prosecutor fees filed.
2/16/22: Defendant's motion to appoint assistant Ohio public defender Kirk A. McVay to serve as certified counsel in replacement for retired assistant Ohio public defender William J. Mooney filed by Gregory W. Meyers. 2/17/22: Granting motion of attorney Mooney to withdraw as counsel filed. 3/3/22: Attorney Kirk A. McVay is appointed as trial co-counsel for defendant. 4/5/22: Appointment of Susanna L. Jackson as assistant court reporter filed.
9/16/22: Entry granting temporary suspension of Wagner's privileges until he has testified in this case filed & copies to Counsel.
10/26/22 Update: Jake's lawyers George Myers & William Mooney were subpoenaed to a hearing on 11/28/22 @ 9am in front of Judge Deering. They are to bring their file & interview notes of Jake Wagner concerning the involvement of Jake & his co-defendants in the homicides re case #2018CR0000155 (GWIV). It could be regarding: Jake testified he confessed to killing 8 people to his lawyers long before he confessed to LE & the lawyers did not report the criminal activity. 10/27/22 Update: Hearing re subpoena for Myers & Mooney changed to 10/28/22 @ 9am.

Even though I have the time at 9am - I'm thinking they will have the above hearing first.

Friday, October 28th:
*Trial continues (Day 32) (@ 9am ET) - OH - Pike County 8 people dead: Christopher Rhoden, Sr. (40), his ex-wife, Dana Manley Rhoden (37), their three children, Clarence "Frankie" Rhoden (20), Christopher Jr. (16), Hanna Mae (19); Frankie's fiancée, Hannah Hazel Gilley (20), Christopher Rhoden Sr.'s brother, Kenneth Rhoden (44), & a cousin, Gary Rhoden (37). Hanna Rhoden's baby girl (5 days old), another baby (6 mos.) & a young child (3) were unharmed. (April 21-22, 2016, Pebbles) – for *George Washington Wagner IV (27/now 31) (Jakes’ bro) indicted (11/12/18), arrested (11/13/18), charged (11/15/18) & arraigned (11/28/18) with 8 counts aggravated murder, (plus gun specifications on each), 1 count of 1st degree conspiracy, 4 counts of 1st degree aggravated burglary, 1 count of 5th degree unlawful possession of dangerous ordnance, 3 counts of 3rd degree evidence tampering, 1 count of 5th degree forgery, 1 count of 5th degree unauthorized use of computer or telecommunications, 1 count of 4th degree interception of wire, oral or electronic communication, 1 count of 5th degree obstructing justice, & 1 count of 1st degree engaging in a pattern of corrupt activity. Plead not guilty. Held without bond. DA will seek the DP. Per Jake’s plea agreement, DP is off the table only for Jake if his testimony is truthful. But George still faces the DP as he did not take a deal.
Trial began on 8/29/22 with final jury selection & the jury was seated on 8/30/22. 12 Jurors & 6 alternates. Jury: (9 women & 3 men) & 6 alternates: (5 women & 1 man). 9/30/22: Ill juror replaced with alternate. 12 jurors & 5 alternates. Jury: (9 women & 3 men) & 5 alternates (4 women & 1 man).
Trial began with opening statements began on Monday, 9/12/22. (Trial is scheduled for 8 to 9 weeks (56-63 days).

Crime info & court hearings from 11/28/18 thru 9/6/22 & Trial Day 1-30 (9/12 to 10/25/22), no court on 10/27/22 reference post #254 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...bers-wagner-family-arrested-80.641348/page-13

10/26/22 Wednesday, Trial Day 31: Hearing re Judge Deering will listen to arguments for & against allowing confessed killer Jake Wagner's testimony to be shared outside the courtroom (video and/or audio) regarding testimony being filmed of Jake Wagner.
For more info see post #291 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...bers-wagner-family-arrested-80.641348/page-15
Prosecutors called witness: Chillicothe Corrections officer Robert Horton. And Judge’s decision on the matter: Jake can opt out.
For more info see posts #338 & 340 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...bers-wagner-family-arrested-80.641348/page-17
For more info see posts #348 & 351 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...bers-wagner-family-arrested-80.641348/page-18
State witness: Edward Jacob “Jake Wagner, brother of George. Opted out on audio & video.
For more info see posts #425, 426 & 439 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...bers-wagner-family-arrested-80.641348/page-22
For more info see posts #443, 446, 447, 449, 450, 452 & 455 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...bers-wagner-family-arrested-80.641348/page-23
New ruling by Court of Appeals:
For more info see post #467 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...bers-wagner-family-arrested-80.641348/page-24
Defense attorney John Parker on cross examination of Edward Jacob “Jake” Wagner.
For more info see posts #511 & 517 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...bers-wagner-family-arrested-80.641348/page-26
For more info see posts #562 (article) & 573 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...bers-wagner-family-arrested-80.641348/page-29
For more info see posts #582 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...bers-wagner-family-arrested-80.641348/page-30
For more info see post #612 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...bers-wagner-family-arrested-80.641348/page-31
Trial continues on Friday, 10/28/22.

From @Niner Post #882

10/26/22 Update: Jake's lawyers George Myers & William Mooney were subpoenaed to a hearing on 11/28/22 @ 9am in front of Judge Deering. They are to bring their file & interview notes of Jake Wagner concerning the involvement of Jake & his co-defendants in the homicides re case #2018CR0000155 (GWIV). It could be regarding: Jake testified he confessed to killing 8 people to his lawyers long before he confessed to LE & the lawyers did not report the criminal activity. 10/27/22 Update: Hearing re subpoena for Myers & Mooney changed to 10/28/22 @ 9am.

I don't think his lawyers had to report JW's confession, but, the fly in the ointment may be, that they did not turn in the other persons, in JW's confession, for committing criminal activity. IANAL just an intrigued bystander.

Niner's update

From @Niner Post #882

I don't think his lawyers had to report JW's confession, but, the fly in the ointment may be, that they did not turn in the other persons, in JW's confession, for committing criminal activity. IANAL just an intrigued bystander.

Niner's update
WOW, just wow.

JMO

So what does everyone think, is this going to be something that leads to a mistrial? It seems mighty serious to my non-legal educated eye. Should the prosecution be very concerned about this?

Will the GW's defense lawyers themselves also have to produce proof of when THEY learned of this to the judge tomorrow? Did they sit on this information intentionally until JW was ready to be cross examined? Wouldn't that be just as illegal an act as they're trying to query JW's lawyers about, doing the same thing?

Attachments

• FgGCqNiWAAQnnBP.jpeg.jpg
    FgGCqNiWAAQnnBP.jpeg.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
It is amazing that every one understands why James M got so frustrated and upset he pulled a GPS device LE put on his truck off and smashed it. And every single one of us knows James M is totally innocent, did not plan, did not participate, did not cover up any part of these murders. Every one understands why Lenny M, God bless him, got so frustrated with the treatment his family was getting from LE that he blew up several times and even implied threats against LE.

But no one seems to consider that George may be innocent of it all and also became upset and vented his frustration at what he saw was harassment by LE.

JMO
Sure we have. I'll speak for myself. I've considered each of the four and whether, individually and/or together) they participated in the conspiracy. I've considered 6-8 people and their potential involvement.

The W4 vote on everything as a family. That's been stated and illustrated with examples and testimony. I believe them. If George voted for it, he's guilty. If he knew about it and did nothing, he's guilty. If he rode along, unsure of what would happen, he's guilty. If he didn't know about it and wasn't there, but he found out later, he's guilty after-the-fact. He purchased a weapon that was used that night and a truck, too, if IRC.

I'm not sure why some hold to Jake's abject evilness, but are certain that George is innocent.

These 2 young men got a raw deal in terms of family dynamics, their parents, and those parents' demand for total control, always. Unfortunately, they will pay a steep price in order to break free. The Rs and Gs paid the ultimate price on a bill they didn't owe. (May they rest in peace.)

Last edited:
I saw this in the other Trials thread and it was so disappointing I wanted to share here.

A link to this article was shared today, regarding the now unsealed federal indictment against two Pike Co. Deputies (former)

Allegations of punching a man in-custody and in one of those restraint chairs 11 TIMES and apparently so hard that the deputy broke his hand in the act.

Really makes me think about the ‘STAR’ team IIRC his title who testified for the prosecution just how dangerous it is for “snitches” in prison the other day. Makes me see that in a bit of a different light. If this wasn’t all caught on video, I wonder if the deputies would have ever faced any consequences. Really sad. [Also not excusing what that defendant did or was charged with, no one already handcuffed and restrained in a restraint chair should be pepper sprayed and punched so many times repeatedly….that sounds extremely forceful and not at all reasonable considering he was already restrained. Just MHO]
Just as no one already incarcerated should experience violence, as some WSers have called for or have indicated that that is something with which they wouldn't have a problem. MOO

No, they would not have. It's taken ten years to get one crooked, mean, horrid, abusive, deputy out one county in Western Ky. another in Central had an undercover drug addict working for him and they taped him, doing his dirty deeds,and turned it in to a public site, there's one in Eky who did much the same as the Scioto County deputies a few years back, another Trooper told his deputies to turn off their cams and beat the dog crap out of several people, but oops, got caught by an unknown store cam. He got transferred to another district. Men in incarceration are safer among their own.
And that's not very safe at all, considering there are multiple "owns" in there, depending on the location of the facility, if it's public or private, the inmate's race, religion, affiliations, what the inmate is in for, and countless other factors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cassie.ryan18