OH Pike County: 8 in Rhoden Family Murdered Over Custody Issue 4 Members Wagner Family Arrested#45

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
At this link below ... BBM
No real drama emerges from first pretrial hearing in Rhoden murder case - Portsmouth Daily Times

One final motion would limit the persons allowed to communicate with the defendant, whose being held without chance of bond. The motion likely is an attempt by the defense to limit Wagner’s contact with jail personnel and/or other inmates. Deering noted this is a separate motion from the gag order already in place, a gag order which prevents any official connected with the various Rhoden cases from speaking with the media.

So, what part of this am I missing that FW's attorney should NOT be talking with the MEDIA and doing interviews regarding her case??
When the jury see all the Crime Scene Photos the Wagners want have a chance JMO

It's possible. It will be interesting to see what turns up in the trials. LE has collected evidence from cell phones, email accounts, etc. I doubt they would have told people they were going to kill the Rhodens and HG, they would have needed some other excuse to warn people away.

There were so many stories going around after the murders that seemed to point fingers at other family members of the victims. Lots of endless rumors on social media about James Manley discovering his sister's body, spreading fake suspicion about his sister BJM discovering the other bodies. JMO, that was all false information spread by the Wagners.

Remember Len Manley talking about how police came and woke them up in the middle of the night after the murders and took them down for questioning? They asked BJM "how much money did you get to kill your family?" JMO, all of the fake tips related to that came from the "local royalty" the Wagners.

Yes the Wagner's had plenty of opportunities to lie to LE. But there came a point where LE started to see the lies. Here's a timeline:

May 13, 2016--Jake video interview
September 9, 2016---GW3 audio interview
October 5, 2016---Angela audio interview

October 17, 2016---Sheriff Reader announced in the media that he thinks the murders were committed by locals.

March 10, 2017---The Wagner's Peterson Road house and land is sold.

April 2017---LE stops taking the Wagner's tips about the murders.

April 13, 2017---Jake audio interview
May 3, 2017---Jake and Angie audio interview
May 8, 2017---GW3 audio interview

May 12, 2017---LE conducts searches on the Peterson Road property and Flying W Farms and a car lot where the Wagner's were storing trailers. The Wagner's are unreachable and it's thought that they are on vacation in Alaska.

May 13, 2017---Angela audio interview
May 16, 2017---Angela audio interview
May 17, 2017--- Jake audio interview
May 21, 2017---Angela, Gw3, and GW4 all give audio interviews. Angela also gives a partial video interview.

June 21, 2017---Attorney General (now Governor of Ohio) Mike DeWine makes his
well known laser focus statement to the media.

July 14, 2017---The Wagner's attorney gives an interview making it clear that LE doesn't believe the Wagner's tips anymore, in other words, they suspect the Wagner's are lying to them. According to the attorney this started 4 to 5 months ago.......

(Daily Mail) John Kearson Clark, the Wagner's attorney,
said the Wagners had supplied police with invaluable information to help the investigation. He then said:
'Why have the authorities not followed up on the leads that the Wagners wanted to give? Is it because the authorities carelessly waited 4-5 months to get back to Billy Wagner?

July 23, 2017---In Kenai Alaska, a neighbor sees the Wagner's moving in......

(Chris Graves Enquirer) A neighbor, Brad Conklin, said the family arrived driving two heavy-duty pickup trucks pulling a large horse trailer and another 24-foot-long trailer covered with a tarp and have been in the process of unpacking it.

August 2017---George "Bob" Washington Wagner II passes away from chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.
November 2017---Angela Wagner's father passes away.

May 2018---The Wagners move into Angela's dad's house in Webster Ohio.

May 22, 2018---The Union Hill Rd. Church that Leonard Manley, his wife, and BJM attend, holds a 2 year memorial service and balloon launch for the Rhodens and Hannah Gilley. The Wagner's do not attend.

July 2018---The prosecution brings evidence before the Grand Jury but the GJ is not ready to indict the Wagners. Rita Newcomb and Fredericka Wagner testify.

October 30, 2018---The parts to make a gun silencer are found and tested. This evidence is brought before the Grand Jury and the GJ hands down lengthy indictments against the Wagners. Also indicted are Rita Newcomb and Fredericka Wagner.

November 13, 2018---All 6 Wagner's are arrested and booked into separate Ohio jails without incident.

Last edited:
No real drama emerges from first pretrial hearing in Rhoden murder case - Portsmouth Daily Times

One final motion would limit the persons allowed to communicate with the defendant, whose being held without chance of bond. The motion likely is an attempt by the defense to limit Wagner’s contact with jail personnel and/or other inmates. Deering noted this is a separate motion from the gag order already in place, a gag order which prevents any official connected with the various Rhoden cases from speaking with the media.

So, what part of this am I missing that FW's attorney should NOT be talking with the MEDIA and doing interviews regarding her case??

Good point. He shouldn't be. Let's see what happens in the future. It's rumored that he was chewed out the other day as some spoke of hearing shouting outside the judge's chambers.

The Oxy show got around that by using their own legal expert to stand in the place of the defense attorneys. She made all their points for them.

Yes the Wagner's had plenty of opportunities to lie to LE. But there came a point where LE started to see the lies. Here's a timeline:

October 17, 2016---Sheriff Reader announced in the media that he thinks the murders were committed by locals.

May 15, 201---LE conducts searches on the Peterson Road property and Flying W Farms and a car lot where the Wagner's were storing trailers. The Wagner's are unreachable and it's thought that they are on vacation in Alaska.

May 21, 2017---Angela, Gw3, and GW4 all give audio interviews. Angela also gives a partial video interview.

May 22, 2017---A memorial service and balloon launch, for the Rhodens and Hannah Gilley, is conducted at the Union Hill Church that Leonard Manley and his wife and BJM attend. The Wagners do not attend this memorial service.

June 21, 2017---Attorney General (now Governor of Ohio) Mike DeWine makes his well
known laser focus statement to the media.

July 14, 2017---The Wagner's attorney gives an interview making it clear that LE doesn't believe the Wagner's tips anymore, in other words, they suspect the Wagner's are lying to them. According to the attorney this started 4 to 5 months ago.......

said the Wagners had supplied police with invaluable information to help the investigation. He then said:
'Why have the authorities not followed up on the leads that the Wagners wanted to give? Is it because the authorities carelessly waited 4-5 months to get back to Billy Wagner?

(Chris Graves Enquirer) A neighbor, Brad Conklin, said the family arrived driving two heavy-duty pickup trucks pulling a large horse trailer and another 24-foot-long trailer covered with a tarp and have been in the process of unpacking it.

August 2017---George "Bob" Washington Wagner II passes away from chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.

May 2017---The Wagners move into Angela's dad's house in Webster Ohio.

May 22, 2017---The Union Hill Rd. Church that Leonard Manley, his wife, and BJM attend, holds a 2 year memorial service and balloon launch for the Rhodens and Hannah Gilley. The Wagner's do not attend.

July 2017---The prosecution brings evidence before the Grand Jury but the GJ is not ready to indict the Wagners. Rita Newcomb and Fredericka Wagner testify.

October 30, 2018---The parts to make a gun silencer are found and tested. This evidence is brought before the Grand Jury and the GJ hands down lengthy indictments against the Wagners. Also indicted are Rita Newcomb and Fredericka Wagner.

November 13, 2018---All 6 Wagner's are arrested and booked into separate Ohio jails without incident.

Good list. Where did you get the date of April 2017 as when LE stopped taking tips from the Wagners? If it's speculation, I agree with you. Something happened around that time that finally turned on the light bulb. I suppose we'll find out.

Watching the Oxy show tonight I saw several hints that explained why they didn't cast suspicion on the family members. the Oxy dropped hints that the "killers" were probably some people associated with the "drug business" that they inferred Billy and CR1 were involved in. That's Fred's strategy for the family's defense, too: to throw a red herring out there implying they were drug dealers who were mad at CR1.

I guess that's really all she has.

ETA: Also adding there must have been a very good reason why the Rhodens, Manleys, etc. didn't participate in the show. They must have seen or heard something to indicate the show would be slanted in favor of the Wags. I hope we find out what it was that made them resist.

Good for them, it was the right decision.

Last edited:

May 15, 201---LE conducts searches on the Peterson Road property and Flying W Farms and a car lot where the Wagner's were storing trailers. The Wagner's are unreachable and it's thought that they are on vacation in Alaska.

May 22, 2018---The Union Hill Rd. Church that Leonard Manley, his wife, and BJM attend, holds a 2 year memorial service and balloon launch for the Rhodens and Hannah Gilley. The Wagner's do not attend.

July 2018---The prosecution brings evidence before the Grand Jury but the GJ is not ready to indict the Wagners. Rita Newcomb and Fredericka Wagner testify.

This is great. I noticed something on this piece:

---------
The searches actually started May 12. Four days after Billy's interview. I think something in that interview gave what they needed for search warrants.
AW was being questioned on the 13th while searches were occurring. I also thought this was while the W4 were supposed to be on "vacation". Was AW visited during the "vacation"?

I can really see why Hannah R went for Jake, he is a very handsome man. Chris Sr was also very good looking as a young man. That picture of him and Dana back in the 80s early 90s was really nice. He was a very appealing young man.

Towards the end, I got the impression Jeff Winkler's comments were edited quite a bit. They took a couple of minor things he said and tried to make it sound like he really doubted the Wagners did it. Earlier statements he made seemed to contradict that.

Just the fact they made this program when there's a gag order on the case and when very little of the evidence has been presented is very dishonest. They're trying to make it sound like all the facts are in and the case against the Wagners is weak.

In fact, only a small fraction of the evidence has been revealed. The prosecutor and LE are not allowed to discuss, clarify or offer rebuttal to this. That's very unprofessional and dishonest.

Glad I didn't watch the .

Good list. Where did you get the date of April 2017 as when LE stopped taking tips from the Wagners? If it's speculation, I agree with you. Something happened around that time that finally turned on the light bulb. I suppose we'll find out.

Watching the Oxy show tonight I saw several hints that explained why they didn't cast suspicion on the family members. the Oxy dropped hints that the "killers" were probably some people associated with the "drug business" that they inferred Billy and CR1 were involved in. That's Fred's strategy for the family's defense, too: to throw a red herring out there implying they were drug dealers who were mad at CR1.

I guess that's really all she has.

It was in July 2017 that the Wagner's attorney gave a long rant to the media about how incompetent LE is and how they are harassing the upstanding Wagners, falsely accusing them. In this interview he made it sound like LE started ignoring the Wagner's tips 4 to 5 months previous, that would be March or April 2017. I think LE started seeing all the lies they were telling way back then........

".........But the family's lawyer slammed the investigation for wasting time.
John Kearson Clark told DailyMail.com: 'Authorities have had leads. They have dropped the ball and not acted quick enough… time is of the essence in these type of cases.

'Instead, they are harassing my clients.'
He said the Wagners had supplied police with invaluable information to help the investigation.

'Why have the authorities not follow up on the leads that the Wagners wanted to give? Is it because the authorities carelessly waited 4-5 months to get back to Billy Wagner?

'Only now doing so, unexpectedly in a public place, and hence, putting the Wagners lives in danger? Malfeasance and incompetence at its finest............." (Daily Mail)

Yup...it's the drug dealer defense. Convince the Jury it was a drug business that wanted revenge--- a vicious group of drug dealers. I think Fred said in her interview that Chris knew something----like he knew too much and it got him killed. She, in her interview, was setting it up to look like her family is wrongly accused. That it should be a drug network being investigated.

This is great. I noticed something on this piece:

---------
The searches actually started May 12. Four days after Billy's interview. I think something in that interview gave what they needed for search warrants.
AW was being questioned on the 13th while searches were occurring. I also thought this was while the W4 were supposed to be on "vacation". Was AW visited during the "vacation"?

Thanks I'm going to go edit my post...

May 12, 2017---LE conducts searches on the Peterson Road property and Flying W Farms and a car lot where the Wagner's were storing trailers. The Wagner's are unreachable and it's thought that they are on vacation in Alaska.

Thank you, this was very helpful to place things in a row!

BBM
Betty, I think Winkler does feel the Ws are guilty. But he's a journalist and part of that refraining from injecting his personal opinions into his work. And yes, I also feel much of what we saw was edited with an agenda.

That said, in my opinion, the show on Oxygen did not portray any of the victims in a negative way.

Shows like the one on Oxygen tonight can't technically show all the evidence.

I did, however, have a huge problem with what the Plain Dealer ran. It was unethical and just wrong. Any attorney knows better. Owen knew it but did it anyway.

Most people haven't seen anywhere near the amount of accurate info or evidence that WE here at WS have. (Speaking personally, this case has consumed me to the point of obsession).

When all the evidence is presented to the jury/s, I think they'll have no doubt the Ws are guilty. I think they'll see right through the BS.

JMO

BIUBM

Same!

That was put into place on the very first day. IIRC, and I could be wrong, but I think that AG Dewine said, that after his talk to the media that day, everyone who was connected to the case, including himself, would be under a gag order. Everyone. That would include any lawyers connected to the case, I would think. If so, FW's atty. screwed up big time.

It was in July 2017 that the Wagner's attorney gave a long rant to the media about how incompetent LE is and how they are harassing the upstanding Wagners, falsely accusing them. In this interview he made it sound like LE started ignoring the Wagner's tips 4 to 5 months previous, that would be March or April 2017. I think LE started seeing all the lies they were telling way back then........

John Kearson Clark told DailyMail.com: 'Authorities have had leads. They have dropped the ball and not acted quick enough… time is of the essence in these type of cases.

He said the Wagners had supplied police with invaluable information to help the investigation.

'Why have the authorities not follow up on the leads that the Wagners wanted to give? Is it because the authorities carelessly waited 4-5 months to get back to Billy Wagner?

'Only now doing so, unexpectedly in a public place, and hence, putting the Wagners lives in danger? Malfeasance and incompetence at its finest............." (Daily Mail)

Yup...it's the drug dealer defense. Convince the Jury it was a drug business that wanted revenge--- a vicious group of drug dealers. I think Fred said in her interview that Chris knew something----like he knew too much and it got him killed. She, in her interview, was setting it up to look like her family is wrongly accused. That it should be a drug network being investigated.

Good deduction. I'm going to add this to my timeline. Making a note.

The crazy thing about this is her testimony referenced she is not afraid of "him". This would imply in my mind she was close enough to the activities, if the activities are accurate, to know who "him" is. SMH

Now saying town is equally divided about guilt of Wagner family. Okay. Can any locals here tell us if that's accurate?

"Beloved" Fredericka? The only people who say that are employees, what else are they going to say? Now we're starting to see a bit of spin that is sympathetic to the Wagners. Trying to make it seem like LE arrested the wrong people.

I do hope someone else covers the case.

Yes, getting more sympathetic to the Wags, casting doubt about the custody motive.

"I hope they found the right people"
"Sometimes mistakes are made" etc.

Yes, please get someone else to cover this story besides Oxygen. Someone who understands that powerful, wealthy people in small towns do behave like tyrants sometimes and kill people. Especially if they're paranoid, enmeshed dysfunctional families in love with guns and violence.

Good luck trying to make the Wags look like innocent people. We won't let that happen, ok?

I watched the Oxygen show tonight and I was very impressed. I was afraid it would be more like tabloid fodder. IMO they tried to give a balanced representation and they came close although I feel it was more 2/3 for R&G to 1/3 for Wags. I believe, for legality’s sake, they tried to leave it open for the possibility the Wags ARE innocent so, God forbid, if they are found “Not Guilty” it doesn’t leave themselves open to law suits. Also, there is still a part of Pike Co that cannot believe the Wags did it so it they are appealing to those folks as well. It’s a good representation of known facts but leaves it open in such a way so as to not taint potential jury members and leaves room for reasonable doubt. This is JMO only.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pbod153