OH - Pike County: 8 people from one family dead as police hunt for killer(s) #12

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Plenty of stuff around to move under a window to get in and out and move away again...

Again, that's going to make noise, rummaging around out there, trying to drag something to the window, and, if it's closed, trying to get it open to begin with. Getting through a regular window is no easy task unless you have a ladder or porch, but getting through a trailer window, and being an average size adult, would make noise. Also, from the phots of the back & ends of the open windows, there was nothing placed back there under the windows. They're not going to take time to drag the dog house, or barrel, back to it's place after they leave through the back door. That's time wasted. They have to get out of there.

True, but this would have been one of the four original locations searched, not the 5th that the reporter spoke of. Keep going, you'll get there. I just can't say the name due to the site rules..

Wow, I figured it out and quickly. You could be onto something that I haven't seen mentioned... family tensions perhaps.

Do we know he was shot 9 times? If so, he could have lunged at the gunmen. Both -- assuming there were two -- could have then shot him 4 or 5 times in a matter of seconds.
We don't know who was shot nine times. I suspect -- based on rumor and pure speculation -- it was someone else. But I don't think I can say who. I've read the TOS and I'm still not totally sure what I can and can't post.

Chris Graves ‏@chrisgraves 43s43 seconds ago Ohio, USA
Deputies here at base of Uniion Hill Road #PikeCounty will remain. Road not released quite yet. #cgnow

eta

Chris Graves ‏@chrisgraves 39s40 seconds ago Ohio, USA
Word is trailer where Dana Rhoden lived with her two youngest children arrived a few moments ago at command Cgr. #PikeCounty #cgnow

If I am correct in believing that CRsnr was the one shot 9 times it seems to me that there are grounds to suggest that he was tortured ...

The number of times each person was shot has not been disclosed. GR's father said he was shot in the head three times. That said, it doesn't mean he wasn't shot more than three times...

Chris Graves ‏@chrisgraves 43s43 seconds ago Ohio, USA
Deputies here at base of Uniion Hill Road #PikeCounty will remain. Road not released quite yet. #cgnow

eta

Chris Graves ‏@chrisgraves 39s40 seconds ago Ohio, USA
Word is trailer where Dana Rhoden lived with her two youngest children arrived a few moments ago at command Cgr. #PikeCounty #cgnow

That was fast.

When is it "normal" in cases like this for the people and the press to start questioning the LE's work? Haven't the public a right to know what their tax dollars are being spent on? In Norway it would not have been possible to put a lid on such a high profile investigation for this amount of time.

When is it "normal" in cases like this for the people and the press to start questioning the LE's work? Haven't the public a right to know what their tax dollars are being spent on? In Norway it would not have been possible to put a lid on such a high profile investigation for this amount of time.
As long as an investigation or court case is active and ongoing, the public have no right to know anything.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

As long as an investigation or court case is active and ongoing, the public have no right to know anything.

I guess you're right. Maybe it is the same here, cases are usually solved quickly.

Not entirely true. The police report (with redactions) was released following a FOIA request.

Has it been published?
Yes. Or at least the gist of it. There's not much of any info. I can't link you right now but I'm sure someone can. If not I'll find it later.

Public information requirements vary from state to state.

Gannett Ohio (corporate owner of the Cincinnati and Chillicothe newspapers) and other media outlets in Ohio should be well versed in the relevant Ohio statutes.

Gannett Ohio made noise as to the incident report and it was then provided as the statute required. Squeaky wheel.

Since they demonstrated aggressiveness in pushing that statutory requirement, I'm going to defer to their knowledge and experience with Ohio requirements and leave it at that for now.

It is not at all unusual in criminal cases for information to be sealed under a court order as the search warrants, probable cause affidavits, and the returns are in this case.

The only way around that is through the courts. At this point that would be a waste of time and money as it would be a slim to none chance of prevailing.

Things can change when there have been arrests and indictments. Often at that point, prosecutors will themselves file a motion to unseal.

But sometimes even then information can remain under seal for some time due to related investigations that are ongoing. I run up against that at times with particular targeted subject groups in federal cases.

Not entirely true. The police report (with redactions) was released following a FOIA request.

That was a public record that didn't really say much but it got media off their back some. It wasn't anything much more than BJM had said to 911 so it didn't harm anything. Lots of times LE plays nice to give out a little and keep some happy. However they don't have to give anything up on an active investigation that would compromise it. Notice the 3 other police reports haven't been released nor the search warrants.

First time post, been trying to keep up with the unimaginable crime, but know I have missed a lot post. I was reading on another horrible double murder that happened very close to the Rhoden's. Candy and Mykal Newsome were both murdered execution style 01/04/16. I know this is far fetched but her father is all about payback to those killed and those who know who killed his family, I wonder if someone thought the Rhoden's were linked or maybe it is the same person or persons

Public information requirements vary from state to state.

Gannett Ohio (corporate owner of the Cincinnati and Chillicothe newspapers) and other media outlets in Ohio should be well versed in the relevant Ohio statutes.

Gannett Ohio made noise as to the incident report and it was then provided as the statute required. Squeaky wheel.

Since they demonstrated aggressiveness in pushing that statutory requirement, I'm going to defer to their knowledge and experience with Ohio requirements and leave it at that for now.

It is not at all unusual in criminal cases for information to be sealed under a court order as the search warrants, probable cause affidavits, and the returns are in this case.

The only way around that is through the courts. At this point that would be a waste of time and money as it would be a slim to none chance of prevailing.

Things can change when there have been arrests and indictments. Often at that point, prosecutors will themselves file a motion to unseal.

But sometimes even then information can remain under seal for some time due to related investigations that are ongoing. I run up against that at times with particular targeted subject groups in federal cases.

Kimball Perry with Cincinnati Enquirer pushes the issue a lot and has a great attorney and is usually successful. I've seen a few things he's posted on this case and I'd think that he may have already tried the media route. He's not shy of a court room to get what he wants. I suspect there was a hearing or discussion involving it and that's probably why the first report was made available. I can check on that but out and about right now. The fact that the other once haven't been released makes me think that it would compromise something.

Kimball Perry with Cincinnati Enquirer pushes the issue a lot and has a great attorney and is usually successful. I've seen a few things he's posted on this case and I'd think that he may have already tried the media route. He's not shy of a court room to get what he wants. I suspect there was a hearing or discussion involving it and that's probably why the first report was made available. I can check on that but out and about right now. The fact that the other once haven't been released makes me think that it would compromise something.

Yes, their attorney was mentioned in the squeaky wheel article that forced out the incident report for 4077 Union Hill Road.

I had wondered about a report for the 911 call made for the Left Fork Road location. It may well be that a judge put that one under seal.

I'm not familiar with Ohio open records requirements so I'm learning as this goes.

Thanks for the feedback!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member