OH - Pike County: 8 people from one family dead as police hunt for killer(s) #17

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I really wish some new information would be released ... Obviously I respect the rules of posting only facts and links ,and I wouldn't think of going against that . With that being said ,I hope I am not breaking any rules now , if so I sincerely apologize .There is so much gossip , rumors and theories being posted on the internet that you really have to ask yourself , could what I just read be true and so on .That is why I understand proven facts with links and so on .I think I have read just about every news report , interview ,FB pages/groups ,anything I find I read lol . Probably 70% of it is rumors ,hurtful gossip and some real far fetched ideals . However ,last night I can across a site / group ( not saying names ) and I was curious ,so I dappled in some reading ...mainly as I said curious . Oh my goodness , one so called theory in particular caught my attention , it held me from that moment until even now. Maybe I was just hoping for a reason, or new information ....I honestly dont know . But it was like a light bulb came on,and I was like ong that all fits .I couldn't really see a hole in the theory ( Im sure more experienced people could pick it all apart ) It was over the top, but believable .I literally stayed awake most of the night thinking it through.... I think it is safe to say I am addicted to this case, lol . Really craving a LE update .........

@rsd: So, let me get this straight. Someone in the family was so filled with moral indignation that they were willing to murder eight family members and leave others motherless, correct, because being a mass murderer is better for the family legacy than being a grower of marijuana? I'm trying to wrap my head around that idea. ;)

I've traveled quite a bit within the lower 48 and I can honestly say that up until the last few years I was met more-so w/curiosity about where I was from than jokes/judgement. This has changed in the last few years. For the most part folks are still nice but I've run into many more judgmental, prejudiced, views of folks toward us, in these last few years than in all of my other years of travel combined. You can see it in their eyes if they don't voice it and the jokes are not appreciated.

Have to say, down here in Texas, I have never heard a joke or comment along the lines y'all are talkin. I did meet two absolutely intelligent and articulate young adults from your area last month at a friend's house. So, that's my impression.

Have to say, down here in Texas, I have never heard a joke or comment along the lines y'all are talkin. I did meet two absolutely intelligent and articulate young adults from your area last month at a friend's house. So, that's my impression.

Funny you would say that about Texas - a friend of mine went to open an account at a bank in Austin and was told "West Virginia isn't a state" so her ID was invalid. Which I guess is better than suggesting she couldn't read or was married to her cousin.

Perhaps you've never heard a joke or comment because you're not from the region, and I'm thinking you hang out with good people. :)

I can see that. I am from a region that the "home place" and the family land is seen as very important to a lot of people. Keeping the land in the family. Upset that the home place was sold. Sad it's being trashed. Look what's happened to my family home b/c of... I've heard all of that before. It can create some sore spots w/in a family too. Like I said in the other post, I get the feeling, and I could be wrong, that CR1 was the leader of the pack. He did what CR1 wanted to do. The female siblings basically signed their shares over to him from what I understand but the male children did not. So, that made CR1 have the most shares (iirc). Then he starts running illegal activities on it? Then can plunk down $30g in cash and borrow another $30g to move his ex across the road so they can cozy back up together?! Then there's BJM who for all intents and purposes could have been a Rhoden. Old man Rhoden's obit even mentions her and her two children as "special" and she's now gleaning the benefits from the land. When I talked this theory over w/a couple other family members, they said, this very well could be family against family and have been a long time brewing.

Really tend to agree strongly with your observation/thoughts. There seems to be too much raw, basic anger in these murders than can be accounted for by possible drug money, etc reasons. And...the children were left alive...I know the recognition thing, etc. I am not buying that. Although, just FYI, here in El Paso recently, detectives interviewed a 3 year old who had witnessed the murder of several family members.

Funny you would say that about Texas - a friend of mine went to open an account at a bank in Austin and was told "West Virginia isn't a state" so her ID was invalid. Which I guess is better than suggesting she couldn't read or was married to her cousin.

Perhaps you've never heard a joke or comment because you're not from the region, and I'm thinking you hang out with good people. :)

Well, I try to hang out with good people....hard to know if that always happens �� I have lived in El Paso most of my life, but have also lived in several other parts of the state, including Austin. My mom still lives outside there. Austin was one of the most prejudiced places I have ever lived.....mostly Anglos toward Blacks and Hispanics. You should hear some of their crazy beliefs about people not from their ethnic background. On another note, many persons in many different areas of Texas don't know if El Paso is in Texas or New Mexico. Now, I could say something about New Mexico drivers, but think I'll stop here.....��

Well, I try to hang out with good people....hard to know if that always happens �� I have lived in El Paso most of my life, but have also lived in several other parts of the state, including Austin. My mom still lives outside there. Austin was one of the most prejudiced places I have ever lived.....mostly Anglos toward Blacks and Hispanics. You should hear some of their crazy beliefs about people not from their ethnic background. On another note, many persons in many different areas of Texas don't know if El Paso is in Texas or New Mexico. Now, I could say something about New Mexico drivers, but think I'll stop here.....��

Yep them danged yellow plates. [emoji4] ( NM plates are yellow)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I read somewhere on here ? ( i don't remember where) That the Rhodens had orginated in South Shore Ky? And Clarence Rhoden's land started out in Geneva Stone Rhoden's family? And from their marriage it became the family homestead? If I'm wrong sorry

@rsd: So, let me get this straight. Someone in the family was so filled with moral indignation that they were willing to murder eight family members and leave others motherless, correct, because being a mass murderer is better for the family legacy than being a grower of marijuana? I'm trying to wrap my head around that idea. ;)

No, that's not exactly what I mean. Look at how only one family member and his chosen family are using the land that was left to all of the siblings. Do you see any of the other siblings benefiting from the land their father left? Nope. What I am saying is, that, over the course of the years, w/the land possibly being already under a family member's skin, CR1 having the majority rights to it and doing as he pleased, CR1 having a "business" (legal or not) that is bringing in that kind of money from said land, that the other member of the family are not seeing any fruits from, (or not as much as they feel they should), and then CR1 turns the screws some other way to this particular family member. Now, this person already has to be a bit on the "off" side to even consider doing this, but if continually pushed, and / or bullied over the years, they snap, and set a plan in motion that they've fantasized about for years. People have murdered their families for far, far less. Money, land, sibling rivalry, can all be precursors to setting an unstable person off. Just like this guy. I don't know if they even know the why's behind what he did, but he did it.
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/prosecutor-son-plotted-kentucky-family-killings/

I met a guide from your part of the country while traveling through the mountains in the mid-west not long ago. Super nice fella. We found it amusing that we shared a similar drawl. I've visited your state too. Everyone was super nice. Much like my home state. Everyone in our group, on the trip into the mountains, was nice and friendly, but, and I don't really think they knew they were being this way, there was a couple, from a part of the country I'll leave nameless, who yucked it up just a bit too much. They were nice, but it was still borderline making fun. I took no offense, but it was mildly irritating.

I really wish some new information would be released ... Obviously I respect the rules of posting only facts and links ,and I wouldn't think of going against that . With that being said ,I hope I am not breaking any rules now , if so I sincerely apologize .There is so much gossip , rumors and theories being posted on the internet that you really have to ask yourself , could what I just read be true and so on .That is why I understand proven facts with links and so on .I think I have read just about every news report , interview ,FB pages/groups ,anything I find I read lol . Probably 70% of it is rumors ,hurtful gossip and some real far fetched ideals . However ,last night I can across a site / group ( not saying names ) and I was curious ,so I dappled in some reading ...mainly as I said curious . Oh my goodness , one so called theory in particular caught my attention , it held me from that moment until even now. Maybe I was just hoping for a reason, or new information ....I honestly dont know . But it was like a light bulb came on,and I was like ong that all fits .I couldn't really see a hole in the theory ( Im sure more experienced people could pick it all apart ) It was over the top, but believable .I literally stayed awake most of the night thinking it through.... I think it is safe to say I am addicted to this case, lol . Really craving a LE update .........
Can you share the theory or is it against tos? Now I'm curious! <modsnip>

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

No, that's not exactly what I mean. Look at how only one family member and his chosen family are using the land that was left to all of the siblings. Do you see any of the other siblings benefiting from the land their father left? Nope. What I am saying is, that, over the course of the years, w/the land possibly being already under a family member's skin, CR1 having the majority rights to it and doing as he pleased, CR1 having a "business" (legal or not) that is bringing in that kind of money from said land, that the other member of the family are not seeing any fruits from, (or not as much as they feel they should), and then CR1 turns the screws some other way to this particular family member. Now, this person already has to be a bit on the "off" side to even consider doing this, but if continually pushed, and / or bullied over the years, they snap, and set a plan in motion that they've fantasized about for years. People have murdered their families for far, far less. Money, land, sibling rivalry, can all be precursors to setting an unstable person off. Just like this guy. I don't know if they even know the why's behind what he did, but he did it.

OK, I get what you're saying. So, this person acted alone? Or did he/she convince someone else to participate in the brutal slaughter of eight people, some of whom they must've had some affection for, and also leave some children motherless? Not to mention how this would completely devastate some of the surviving family members. Kind of hard to believe, IMO, without any hard evidence that someone was holding this kind of grudge and, furthermore, had the callous disregard for human life to act on it.

I will be one agreeing to disagree.
I know in our area we would rather be in a family feud and argue forever..then disgrace the family name. Murdering your family ...would disgrace the whole family.

Really tend to agree strongly with your observation/thoughts. There seems to be too much raw, basic anger in these murders than can be accounted for by possible drug money, etc reasons. And...the children were left alive...I know the recognition thing, etc. I am not buying that. Although, just FYI, here in El Paso recently, detectives interviewed a 3 year old who had witnessed the murder of several family members.

I have wondered about the three year old. I think he's almost four. One of my kids could tell you everything at three and another would not hardly even talk. Period. If the person was someone they knew though this could be dismissed as; "I was there earlier in the night, and he was already there." Another story I read, the guy came in, the child came to her bedroom door, saw the assailant, and he motioned her back to bed, she went, the assailant then went into the bedroom and murdered the sleeping husband, right beside his wife and chickened out on killing the wife, and ran out of the home. The toddler remembered only seeing a ghost (iirc) and this child had been at this persons home on many occasions. He was her mother's b/f.

According to this article from the Columbus Dispatch, most of the land was in a family trust which was probably being administered by CRSr.

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2016/05/29/pike-county-lookback.html

"The Pike County Probate Court judge appointed an administrator for Kenneth's estate last week, and Tony expects to become administrator of Chris Sr.'s property and lead the effort, especially, to sort out the settling of the land, most of which is in a family trust."

Also looking at the tax records, a lot of the properties for CRSr are Christopher Rhoden ET AL which indicates that others are on the titling.

OK, I get what you're saying. So, this person acted alone? Or did he/she convince someone else to participate in the brutal slaughter of eight people, some of whom they must've had some affection for, and also leave some children motherless? Not to mention how this would completely devastate some of the surviving family members. Kind of hard to believe, IMO, without any hard evidence that someone was holding this kind of grudge and, furthermore, had the callous disregard for human life to act on it.
Well, someone had the callous disregard for this family's lives. Who would know the homes and potentially have key, and their routines, better than a family member. I know it's not a popular idea or theory but the person would have to be unbalanced to begin with. You don't just wake up one day and decide to kill your family. A person has to have a mental problem or it's in the heat of passion. This was not in the heat of passion. This was pure vengeance and someone mentally unstable. I'd think sociopath. Sociopaths can blend in and don't have to kill but when they do they don't suffer from a conscience. People murder their families every day. Hire hit-men to murder them. Over some of the craziest stuff we can imagine. I cannot ever think of anything that would make me want to murder any of my family. But, it's in the paper and on the internet everyday.

I will be one agreeing to disagree.
I know in our area we would rather be in a family feud and argue forever..then disgrace the family name. Murdering your family ...would disgrace the whole family.

And most people would never murder any of their family, the thought would never cross their minds, but there's that off chance that someone else's family has an unbalanced family member that gets ticked, and gets ticked for a reason that you or I would never think about getting ticked over, and it may simmer for years until they snap. I'm not talking about someone with a normal mind.

According to this article from the Columbus Dispatch, most of the land was in a family trust which was probably being administered by CRSr.

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2016/05/29/pike-county-lookback.html

"The Pike County Probate Court judge appointed an administrator for Kenneth's estate last week, and Tony expects to become administrator of Chris Sr.'s property and lead the effort, especially, to sort out the settling of the land, most of which is in a family trust."

Also looking at the tax records, a lot of the properties for CRSr are Christopher Rhoden ET AL which indicates that others are on the titling.

The other males were on there, but not the females. I think, and I could be wrong, but iirc when the female siblings gave up their inheritance in the land, they signed it over to CR1 which gave him the majority.

Well, someone had the callous disregard for this family's lives. Who would know the homes and potentially have key, and their routines, better than a family member. I know it's not a popular idea or theory but the person would have to be unbalanced to begin with. You don't just wake up one day and decide to kill your family. A person has to have a mental problem or it's in the heat of passion. This was not in the heat of passion. This was pure vengeance and someone mentally unstable. I'd think sociopath. Sociopaths can blend in and don't have to kill but when they do they don't suffer from a conscience. People murder their families every day. Hire hit-men to murder them. Over some of the craziest stuff we can imagine. I cannot ever think of anything that would make me want to murder any of my family. But, it's in the paper and on the internet everyday.

I would imagine that there were other people other than family like friends and such that may have been in all of those homes as guests.

It's also not too hard to imagine someone doing some reconnaissance while no one was home at a given address.

So, you do think it was one person. Hard to believe one person pulled this off (for reasons that have already been discussed). Regardless, we have no evidence whatsoever that someone in the family held this kind of grudge and, if he did, that he would go as far as murdering eight people, leave children motherless, and devastate the survivors. Why not just get rid of Chris, Sr., if he was the problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Required